ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #2596
EggChaser
Studly Adventurer
 
EggChaser's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Hamsphire/Surrey Borders
Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclemark View Post
Can anyone advise as to the approximate volume of replacement fluid required after draining final drive fluid during first service.

I measured what came out in a ratio rite cup, 170cc. Not really sure it was filled correctly as it was not at the bottom of the threads when I dumped it. Something I should have checked before riding it but assumed the dealer had.
someone posted 175cc on www.tiger-explorer.com not sure how accurate that was though
EggChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:43 AM   #2597
Recon'd
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: South Worst Oz
Oddometer: 30
'Nuther Q

G'day Explorer owners , a few questions if I may.

Two years ago I had a number of major operations , and lost 30 kg. I am yet to gain a single ounce back , and my specialist says that it is very unlikely that I ever will. I weigh 64 kilos [ 145 ish pounds]

I purchased a Weestrom late last year to test the waters on the ADV type bike design. Within a few months I sold it as the bike just had weird noises from the engine casing , and I didn't like the noise[s] one bit.
Further more , at 5'8" , my feet touched the ground without too much of an issue , HOWEVER , as you sit IN the bike , not on it , the top end weight of it was scary for me.

It would tip almost violently into corners, was very unstable when pulling to a stop , and would always dive to the right once I was almost at a standstill.

With my wife on the back , the top heavy , very unstable feeling would magnify the problem alot. With a full tank of fuel , it was just dangerous with her on the back. Had I added any luggage , I would very likely tip the bike over in very quick time.
I did a few adjustments to the suspension that were available , but the actual build of the bike with its high COG was the main culprit for me.

So, looking at the photos posted from the proud owners so far , the Explorer seems ok for a short *ss like myself , but how does it feel for a little bloke with tank height stability , especially with luggage and a full tank of fuel? Has anyone with a pillion struggled with top end stability?

We plan on doing a number of 5000 km trips in full dress and full bags , so I would like the extra weight and hp just to deal with the road trains on the roads over here [Western Australia], but would not want to be nervous at stopping or moving the bike around for the entire 5000 k's.

I have read as much as possible , but it seems that maybe the bike is just too big for us Aussie midgets perhaps?

I am an experienced rider with off road experience , Supermoto , and my usual rides are 1 ltr Sportsbikes.

Advice very gratefully received.

Recon'd screwed with this post 05-19-2012 at 04:47 AM Reason: Forgot stuff
Recon'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:09 AM   #2598
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 8,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon'd View Post
I purchased a Weestrom late last year to test the waters on the ADV type bike design. Within a few months I sold it as the bike just had weird noises from the engine casing , and I didn't like the noise[s] one bit.
Further more , at 5'8" , my feet touched the ground without too much of an issue , HOWEVER , as you sit IN the bike , not on it , the top end weight of it was scary for me.

It would tip almost violently into corners, was very unstable when pulling to a stop , and would always dive to the right once I was almost at a standstill.

OK, I'm not an Explorer owner or a Wee owner but a friend on a Wee kicked my arse big time in the twisties when I was on my TDM900 (ie more power) and I'm not that slow. So I don't think there's an issue with the Wee's handling and the Explorer must weigh at least another 60kg above that.
__________________
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #2599
Recon'd
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: South Worst Oz
Oddometer: 30
Probably should have been a little more clear , but the issue was mainly with my wife on the back , and also with a guts full of fuel.
As I rode moto's ect , much of the time I feel I am on the bike , not in. The tank was at my chest height when I sat on the Wee.
It was bearable on the road [just], but travelling in the north west of WA , many of the roads [ ] are just dirt, and was not keen on heading down those ones with the minister of war and finance on the back!

Liklety to be 100% my fault and style , but I sure as hell am not going to keep a bike that I neither trusted or liked to ride. Have purchased a few other bikes since , and have not found the wandering and hard dipping that I had with the Wee.

I am hoping with a better suspension setup that the Ex has may be better, and also the tank/weight distribution on the bike might feel 'lower' or more centred.
Recon'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #2600
NinjaRider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Southern N.H.
Oddometer: 66
Explorer test ride with pillion

I had the opportunity a few days ago to take out a brandee-new Explorer for a test ride. I do a fair amount of "two-up" riding with my GF on my 1200 GSA and wanted to compare it with the Explorer, so she came along on the back.

General impressions:

First let me say, I also own a Triumph Daytona 675, so it was strange to hit the starter button on the Explorer. I felt
like I was sitting on my GS, but started my Daytona :). I do love the "triples" and this one did not disappoint.
The engine was smooth, had a wonderful sound and I definitely noticed the "extra" 30 HP it has over the GS.

The Explorer was lower than my GSA ( to be expected ), but I was still surprised how much it "disappeared"
underneath me when riding it ( in a good way ). I am 6' 2" with 34" inseam, the bike was very comfortable and I had
plenty of leg room, but it should work very well for shorter riders as well, since I was able to easily plant my feet
flat on the ground at stops.

My GFcommented she liked the pillion better than the GSA. The rear seat is elevated, so she found it much
easier to see past me. She also prefers a "sportier" bike and commented on the smoothness of the engine.

The brakes seemed excellent, the handling very nice, the acceleration strong. In short, it was a blast to drive.
I have to admit, if I was new to the market and was comparing an Explorer and a GS, it might be a tough decision.
Triumph did their homework and this is a really nice bike.

Negatives: ( mostly personal preference )

The GS has the "boxer" engine with that great low CG, so riding "standing up" is incredibly stable. I stood-up
for a short time on the Explorer and it was definitely "tippier" than the GS, which is what I expected. Personally,
this is a big factor for me as I do a fair amount of solo "standing up" riding and know the low CG in general,
has saved by butt on more than one occasion. It also makes "two-up" riding on dirt incredibly stable. I do have to
say, I didn't notice any tippyness with the Explorer when riding seated / 2-up .

I am used to the para-lever / duo-lever suspension on the GSA, so the "standard" suspension with it's brake
dives seemed to be a step backwards, but I know the suspension travel can also be used as an advantage in
certain situations. Again, riding 2-up, it it really nice not to have to "manage" the brake dive every time you stop.

Last, but not least. I like doing as much of my own maintenance as possible. Having recently done the majority
of the 12,000 mile service myself on the GSA , I couldn't help but think how much more difficult it would be with
the Triumph. Easily accessible motor / air cooling vs.straight-up motor with water-cooling, although I have to
admit, each have their advantages and disadvantages.
NinjaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #2601
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it
 
kindofblue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Albuquerque NM
Oddometer: 822
Thumb tall GS rider considers Explorer

Thanks NinjaRider, I'm 6'4" w/34" inseam and was wondering about the ergos as other reviews have commented on how nice they are for shorter folks. I also have a 2010 GS and just did most of the 12k service myself too. I've wondered about the valve checks on the Explorer as it looks like you might have to take the tank off to get to them.

I'm considering switching to the Explorer though as I had a 2007 Tiger 1050 and loved the engine. The ergos were just a bit to small for me and the GS's size fits me well. I haven't seen one in person yet as the first one here in Abq was sold within a matter of hours of being assembled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRider View Post
I had the opportunity a few days ago to take out a brandee-new Explorer for a test ride. I do a fair amount of "two-up" riding with my GF on my 1200 GSA and wanted to compare it with the Explorer, so she came along on the back.

General impressions:

First let me say, I also own a Triumph Daytona 675, so it was strange to hit the starter button on the Explorer. I felt
like I was sitting on my GS, but started my Daytona :). I do love the "triples" and this one did not disappoint.
The engine was smooth, had a wonderful sound and I definitely noticed the "extra" 30 HP it has over the GS.

The Explorer was lower than my GSA ( to be expected ), but I was still surprised how much it "disappeared"
underneath me when riding it ( in a good way ). I am 6' 2" with 34" inseam, the bike was very comfortable and I had
plenty of leg room, but it should work very well for shorter riders as well, since I was able to easily plant my feet
flat on the ground at stops.

My GFcommented she liked the pillion better than the GSA. The rear seat is elevated, so she found it much
easier to see past me. She also prefers a "sportier" bike and commented on the smoothness of the engine.

The brakes seemed excellent, the handling very nice, the acceleration strong. In short, it was a blast to drive.
I have to admit, if I was new to the market and was comparing an Explorer and a GS, it might be a tough decision.
Triumph did their homework and this is a really nice bike.

Negatives: ( mostly personal preference )

The GS has the "boxer" engine with that great low CG, so riding "standing up" is incredibly stable. I stood-up
for a short time on the Explorer and it was definitely "tippier" than the GS, which is what I expected. Personally,
this is a big factor for me as I do a fair amount of solo "standing up" riding and know the low CG in general,
has saved by butt on more than one occasion. It also makes "two-up" riding on dirt incredibly stable. I do have to
say, I didn't notice any tippyness with the Explorer when riding seated / 2-up .

I am used to the para-lever / duo-lever suspension on the GSA, so the "standard" suspension with it's brake
dives seemed to be a step backwards, but I know the suspension travel can also be used as an advantage in
certain situations. Again, riding 2-up, it it really nice not to have to "manage" the brake dive every time you stop.

Last, but not least. I like doing as much of my own maintenance as possible. Having recently done the majority
of the 12,000 mile service myself on the GSA , I couldn't help but think how much more difficult it would be with
the Triumph. Easily accessible motor / air cooling vs.straight-up motor with water-cooling, although I have to
admit, each have their advantages and disadvantages.
__________________
Doc Reid
2013 GS LC Red (the fastest color )
Wondering about your drinking? www.drinkerscheckup.com
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #2602
Voluhzia
iExplorer
 
Voluhzia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,595
Kindofblue, if you're not ready to switch, don't, ever, never go for a test ride.
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #2603
Recon'd
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: South Worst Oz
Oddometer: 30
Thanks for review of the bike.

I am almost at the point of perhaps buying the wife her own bike for long trips [she has a little cbr125 which she loves], but i live in fear of her falling off on gravel or getting pushed around too much with crosswinds or suction form passing trucks.

In my next life i am going to be about 90 kgs and 6'2"
Recon'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #2604
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRider View Post
I am used to the para-lever / duo-lever suspension on the GSA, so the "standard" suspension with it's brake
dives seemed to be a step backwards, but I know the suspension travel can also be used as an advantage in
certain situations. Again, riding 2-up, it it really nice not to have to "manage" the brake dive every time you stop.

Last, but not least. I like doing as much of my own maintenance as possible. Having recently done the majority
of the 12,000 mile service myself on the GSA , I couldn't help but think how much more difficult it would be with
the Triumph. Easily accessible motor / air cooling vs.straight-up motor with water-cooling, although I have to
admit, each have their advantages and disadvantages.
I haven't ridden the Explorer yet, but I would imagine it would be like any big trailie. You need to initiate your braking with the rear brake, that settles the chassis, then you come in progressively with the front and the dive is greatly reduced. You can't really compare maintenance on a boxer to anything. I owned an RT and yes it took me longer to remove plastic than to do the valve adjustment. Sure it's going to take longer to do the valves on an inline triple or four with shim under bucket, but you're doing that maintenance in 3 or 4 times the mileage. Shim under bucket valves aren't bad to check but if any are out of spec, then it's a bit more involved to pull the cams to swap shims. Most shim under bucket designs seem to be fairly stable and don't needed adjusted very often. Sure wouldn't factor into my buying decision of a bike, and I live remotely so do all my own maintenance.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #2605
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon'd View Post
Thanks for review of the bike.

I am almost at the point of perhaps buying the wife her own bike for long trips [she has a little cbr125 which she loves], but i live in fear of her falling off on gravel or getting pushed around too much with crosswinds or suction form passing trucks.

In my next life i am going to be about 90 kgs and 6'2"
The CBR125 is tiny; maybe a newer Ninja 250 would be good for her, or the CBR250? My g/f put 12,000 very happy miles on hers before upgrading to a 600 supersport.
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #2606
NinjaRider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Southern N.H.
Oddometer: 66
The ergo's are interesting. As I said, I was very comfortable on the Explorer, but also saw the bike as a real possibility
for someone like my son, who is about 5'9" and has no interest in trying to ride a "skyscraper" GS. Another
advantage I found was being able to create a very stable position when stopped with a pillion.

Re: Brake dive: Yes, initially applying the rear brake does settle the bike and is easy enough to do. I think it is more
a matter of getting "lazy" with the GS suspension, plus to me, the Triumph just begs to be ridden
faster ( with harder braking sometimes a result ). Add to that, the demo bike was not set-up for me,
so some of the dive could likely be dialed-out.

Maintenance: Longer service intervals would somewhat offset the easier access. It would not heavily
influence a buying decision, but I do enjoy working on the GS much more than my 3 and 4 cylinder
water-cooled bikes. One particular thing I do not miss on the GS, is doing a coolant change. I know
they are somewhat infrequent, but at least for me, always a hassle. On the flip side, a water-cooled bike
does take some of the anxiety out of traffic-jams in 90 degree heat :)
NinjaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #2607
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper
 
moggi1964's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Madison, NJ
Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon'd View Post
G'day Explorer owners , a few questions if I may.

Two years ago I had a number of major operations , and lost 30 kg. I am yet to gain a single ounce back , and my specialist says that it is very unlikely that I ever will. I weigh 64 kilos [ 145 ish pounds]

I purchased a Weestrom late last year to test the waters on the ADV type bike design. Within a few months I sold it as the bike just had weird noises from the engine casing , and I didn't like the noise[s] one bit.
Further more , at 5'8" , my feet touched the ground without too much of an issue , HOWEVER , as you sit IN the bike , not on it , the top end weight of it was scary for me.

It would tip almost violently into corners, was very unstable when pulling to a stop , and would always dive to the right once I was almost at a standstill.

With my wife on the back , the top heavy , very unstable feeling would magnify the problem alot. With a full tank of fuel , it was just dangerous with her on the back. Had I added any luggage , I would very likely tip the bike over in very quick time.
I did a few adjustments to the suspension that were available , but the actual build of the bike with its high COG was the main culprit for me.

So, looking at the photos posted from the proud owners so far , the Explorer seems ok for a short *ss like myself , but how does it feel for a little bloke with tank height stability , especially with luggage and a full tank of fuel? Has anyone with a pillion struggled with top end stability?

We plan on doing a number of 5000 km trips in full dress and full bags , so I would like the extra weight and hp just to deal with the road trains on the roads over here [Western Australia], but would not want to be nervous at stopping or moving the bike around for the entire 5000 k's.

I have read as much as possible , but it seems that maybe the bike is just too big for us Aussie midgets perhaps?

I am an experienced rider with off road experience , Supermoto , and my usual rides are 1 ltr Sportsbikes.

Advice very gratefully received.
You will likely struggle with it at below walking speed and when manhandling it. The weight disappears on the move but you know it's a beast at the other times. I think you need to test ride it.
__________________
Moggi1964

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #2608
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper
 
moggi1964's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Madison, NJ
Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
The CBR125 is tiny; maybe a newer Ninja 250 would be good for her, or the CBR250? My g/f put 12,000 very happy miles on hers before upgrading to a 600 supersport.
Agreed!
__________________
Moggi1964

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #2609
996DL
Buell me
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: too far from the Rockies...
Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon'd View Post
Two years ago I had a number of major operations , and lost 30 kg. I am yet to gain a single ounce back , and my specialist says that it is very unlikely that I ever will. I weigh 64 kilos [ 145 ish pounds]

We plan on doing a number of 5000 km trips in full dress and full bags , so I would like the extra weight and hp just to deal with the road trains on the roads over here [Western Australia], but would not want to be nervous at stopping or moving the bike around for the entire 5000 k's.
If your wife is petite, one of the two 800 Tigers available, sounds like a far better choice for physical manageability.

Straddling the Explorer at this spring's mc trade show, let me know immediately that at my height 5'8" and age, it was out of the question and that's without fuel or a loaded luggage setup.

Demo the Explorer and don't exclude the 800 Tiggers by any means...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #2610
mototopo67
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Oddometer: 25

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[[URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
mototopo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014