Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #2641
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
Go through my TAT pictures http://www.facebook.com/Saken.Aizhulov

...and you'll see why ugly can not get uglier...

Sent via Android iPhone

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #2642
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo3Niner View Post
So here's another question:

Why does it seem that all panniers and trunks for adventure bikes are all butt-ugly, like they're outta the 70's? What's up with all the black cardboard looking things? Why is it that you can't have nice body colored luggage?

Don't forget, we all know these things'll almost never see any real dirt, so don't go telling me it's because they gotta be rugged or something, or cause you'll scratch them while on the Paris Dakar, cause I mean, come on...
I'll hazard a guess your other 41 posts, were more noteworthy ?

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:22 AM   #2643
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo3Niner View Post
So here's another question:

Why does it seem that all panniers and trunks for adventure bikes are all butt-ugly, like they're outta the 70's? What's up with all the black cardboard looking things? Why is it that you can't have nice body colored luggage?

Don't forget, we all know these things'll almost never see any real dirt, so don't go telling me it's because they gotta be rugged or something, or cause you'll scratch them while on the Paris Dakar, cause I mean, come on...
Speak for yourself as my FJR has seen more dirt road mileage than many a GS or DL.

And I bet your one who agree's the fuel range is all peachy and the larger tank Triumph originally had woulda beeb too top heavy and was not attractive at all.

I have Jessies and after a couple of tumples I will be buying Pelican cases for my next bike,,,,, how's dat fer ugly!
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:23 AM   #2644
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post

996DL
Ha! Do I hear the pot calling the kettle black?

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #2645
996DL
Buell me

Don't even get me started on Casey Stoner...

996DL
Old 05-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #2646
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
How many qts of oil ? anybody know ?
NewYorkLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #2647
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,103
I sat on one and started it up once. It didn't start very well either.

That's all I got.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #2648
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkLuke View Post
How many qts of oil ? anybody know ?
from user manual
Engine Oil Capacities
Dry Fill . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4.5 litres
Oil/Filter Change . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4.0 litres
Oil Change Only. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.85 litres
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #2649
Echo3Niner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:

996DL
Oh, I wouldn't go that far... Noteworthy is so subjective...

I'm not an adventure bike guy, that's for sure. I'm a sportbike guy, who rides purpose built dirtbikes when I plan to go in the dirt. If I really wanted a dually, I'd buy and actual Enduro bike.

The reason I'm interested in this big Trumpet, is for the pillion, who is very uncomfortable on sportbikes. So, in order to bring her along, which I love to do, I need to buy something she'll be comfy on. I have a whole other thread on this.

If I had my drothers, someone would make a liter sportbike that had a nice pillion seat and long-throw footpegs, that weighed under 500 pounds. We are still considering the Connie, though it's heavy and slow handling...

So, it has come down to the TEX vs. the Multistrada; performance/price, the TEX seems like the winner, and besides that, I'm a RAT, so I'm leaning that way anyway.

So, hence the question about the Supermoto front wheel and butt-ugly panniers... I'm far from a new rider, but this would be my first (moto)SUV. So, at least now you've got the context, even if it's still not "noteworthy" to you.
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #2650
996DL
Buell me

When an inmate / new owner posts photos of his pannier setup, your response was rather, shall we say unique. I don't think a set of Corbin Beetle bags, would do this bike justice and the average light duty plastic roadie bags, don't take well to a drop off the sidestand, like a proper boxy aluminum pannier.
These bikes are tall, frequently loaded for bear and can be a handful, compared to a low slung street bike.

Do your homework, buy what you want and accessorize to your own heart's content, but traditional panniers have their place in this mc segment.

996DL
Old 05-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #2651
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:
These bikes are tall, frequently loaded for beer and can be a handful, compared to a low slung street bike.
Fixt
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:47 AM   #2652
Echo3Niner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
When an inmate / new owner posts photos of his pannier setup, your response was rather, shall we say unique. I don't think a set of Corbin Beetle bags, would do this bike justice and the average light duty plastic roadie bags, don't take well to a drop off the sidestand, like a proper boxy aluminum pannier.
These bikes are tall, frequently loaded for bear and can be a handful, compared to a low slung street bike.

Do your homework, buy what you want and accessorize to your own heart's content, but traditional panniers have their place in this mc segment.

996DL
It wasn't a knock on anyone's new bags, and I'm sorry if it was taken that way.

It is a knock on all the bag choices I see for adv bikes. Not because of someone's personal choice; if I saw a big variation of choices and someone decided to go with the blocky look, good on 'em. My complaint is that this style of bag's is all I'm seeing for adv bikes, period.

So, it's limiting my choices. That was the point I was attempting to make. And, I was wondering if there was a reason I was missing, other than the "adv bikes go rugged places, so we have to have rugged luggage". If that's the reason all the luggage looks the same, then so be it; guess I'm not missing anything.

I was/am asking an honest question. If the answer is obvious and I'm not missing anything, sorry I asked. If there's more to it and I am missing something, I really did/do want to know.
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:13 AM   #2653
996DL
Buell me

Outside of someone like Europe's Hepco Becker (think 2012 WeeStrom's plastic luggage option) and possibly Givi, your options for something outside the traditional pannier setups, will be a challenge.

With Explorers and Triumph's 800 Tigger series new on the scene, lot's of used bargains out there in regards to Triumph's own 1050 Tiger, outside of poor oem headlights, it might be another viable option for a two up tourer.

996DL
Old 05-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #2654
Lightisright
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Painted OEM pannier's?

Has anyone painted the Triumph OEM adv panniers? I have not messed with them yet in person (hope to when I test ride an Explorer this afternoon). I like the look of black panniers, and the black Explorer. I think it might look pretty good if the grey/silver portion of the panniers were painted to match the black bodywork and have a nice two tone look between the painted part and the black rubber corners (matte finish I guess it is).

Can the panniers be disassembled for painting? I imagine not, probably glued together or something.

I'm down more or less to the Explorer or a MS1200. I like the hooligan-ness of the MS but the refinement and comfort (and shaft, and cruise, and lower maintenance costs/time) of the Explorer have me wavering. Plus the $22.5kUS OTD (incl top box and larger pannier lids) has me thinking....MS or TWO used bikes like an R12RT and Tuono (or another hundred combinations of the like). And when will the superquadrata engine make it into the MS? It has no belts to replace and already has 15k mile valve checks tuned full tilt boogy.
Lightisright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #2655
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Anybody have the top box ?? I am considering ordering it does it go on and off as easy as the side cases ? I was first very disapointed in the sides cases but they have grown on me, I especially like how easily they come off. Anyone first have expierence would be great !
NewYorkLuke is offline   Reply With Quote