Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #2656
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo3Niner View Post
Oh, I wouldn't go that far... Noteworthy is so subjective...

I'm not an adventure bike guy, that's for sure. I'm a sportbike guy, who rides purpose built dirtbikes when I plan to go in the dirt. If I really wanted a dually, I'd buy and actual Enduro bike. Adventure bikes are an odd breed. The goal was to make a bike that can do a little of everything. The result is one that go most anywhere but does not excell in any one category. I too have had purpose built bikes, but they really tend to be for one purpose. The "Adventure bike class is kinda like a Swiss Army knife. They ain't that pretty but they get the job done in one package

The reason I'm interested in this big Trumpet, is for the pillion, who is very uncomfortable on sportbikes. So, in order to bring her along, which I love to do, I need to buy something she'll be comfy on. I have a whole other thread on this. [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]If you're going to buy new it's hard to do better than the Explorer. Comfort, GREAT ENGINE/TRANS and even cruise.[/COLOR]

If I had my drothers, someone would make a liter sportbike that had a nice pillion seat and long-throw footpegs, that weighed under 500 pounds. We are still considering the Connie, though it's heavy and slow handling...

So, it has come down to the TEX vs. the Multistrada; performance/price, the TEX seems like the winner, and besides that, I'm a RAT, so I'm leaning that way anyway.

So, hence the question about the Supermoto front wheel and butt-ugly panniers... I'm far from a new rider, but this would be my first (moto)SUV. So, at least now you've got the context, even if it's still not "noteworthy" to you.
Should the bike be taken off road, or even just dirt and gravel the smaller wheels tend to "plow or push". My guess would be buy the bike that get's closest to your dream and change it a little.I would guess the Explorer with a supermoto front would be amazing on the street. As for pannier's, the choices are limited. Plastics are brittle and you can only get so creative when it comes to making them out of metal!

If your purchase is for your spouse, for his/her comfort buy a used Harley. They will ride in total comfort. My wife enjoyed the back of a Harley for years and owns her own now. She bought a Road King and I went back to ADV bikes.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

GaelicDog screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 06:10 AM
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #2657
Recon'd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
It wasn't a knock on anyone's new bags, and I'm sorry if it was taken that way.

It is a knock on all the bag choices I see for adv bikes. Not because of someone's personal choice; if I saw a big variation of choices and someone decided to go with the blocky look, good on 'em. My complaint is that this style of bag's is all I'm seeing for adv bikes, period.

So, it's limiting my choices. That was the point I was attempting to make. And, I was wondering if there was a reason I was missing, other than the "adv bikes go rugged places, so we have to have rugged luggage". If that's the reason all the luggage looks the same, then so be it; guess I'm not missing anything.

I was/am asking an honest question. If the answer is obvious and I'm not missing anything, sorry I asked. If there's more to it and I am missing something, I really did/do want to know.
Actually it is a fair post re the designs of the panniers for adv bikes ect.

It never occurred to me before reading it to be honest , but now it does get the ol' skull jelly moving.

Wonder if any aspiring entrepreneur with a penchant for fine art could design something 'new' ? Making it aerodynamic would be a massive win if the box carrying capacity was retained and it did not look like a makeup bag.
Recon'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #2658
SwitchBiker
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I purchased a set of the Triumph panniers, I think they are nice enough looking but I do wish triumph offered a set of toploaders as I feel somewhat insecure about the clamshell latches. I'm just waiting for the day one of them pops open and throws my stuff all over the road.
SwitchBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #2659
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
It wasn't a knock on anyone's new bags, and I'm sorry if it was taken that way.

It is a knock on all the bag choices I see for adv bikes. Not because of someone's personal choice; if I saw a big variation of choices and someone decided to go with the blocky look, good on 'em. My complaint is that this style of bag's is all I'm seeing for adv bikes, period.

So, it's limiting my choices. That was the point I was attempting to make. And, I was wondering if there was a reason I was missing, other than the "adv bikes go rugged places, so we have to have rugged luggage". If that's the reason all the luggage looks the same, then so be it; guess I'm not missing anything.

I was/am asking an honest question. If the answer is obvious and I'm not missing anything, sorry I asked. If there's more to it and I am missing something, I really did/do want to know.
Here's one of Honda's Adventure bikes, at least that's the way they sold it here in Canada... and I can say that these will survive a tip over.

Any of the new Honda Cross whatevers would have similar bags.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #2660
Daytonacharlie
2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer: 231
Finally got to sit on one today at Freedom Powersports in Lawrenceville, Ga. It's a beast for sure. Hope to get a test ride when they get a few more in.
What I don't get is why the stylists made those plastic panels on the sides of the tank!? Seems if that had been made as part of the whole tank it would have increased fuel volume up to about 25 liters or about 6.5 gallons (like my Daytona 1200). Maybe that's the plan, to come out with a larger all steel tank... who knows.
Anyways, the bike is a beautiful thing to see in the metal.

dc
One third of a gopher would only arouse my appetite without bedding it down.
Daytonacharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #2661
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 850
Cool2

IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #2662
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Darn it rhinoWerx, do you have to keep twisting the knife? Not all of us have taken delivery of ours yet...

She sure is purdy.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #2663
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

They are meant to be taken off road,, some! To the beginning of the Appalachian Trail.

Creek Crossing?

Just before getting wet,

Fun in the mountains!!
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #2664
Lightisright
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Test rode an Explorer today, ordered a std black one afterwards. Should get it in about a week. Not the 'launch pack' but I ordered several of the accessories. It was a real head vs heart decision, this vs the MS1200. I rode the MS previously (twice) at this same dealer, had been just waiting for the Explorer to show up. I really wanted the MS (liked the thought of it more than the riding) but I went for do all practicality and lower cost of ownership. For how I envision my use of it, the shaft and cc, plus cheaper to buy in made this the smart money move.

Black, skid plate, panniers and top box, heated grips, tank pad, back rest, hand guards, power outlet, TPS.

I rode it for about 50 min, up the highway, on some two lane. I had zero issues with the light throttle, even when setting the cruise control. I'd read reviews of the cc wandering before settling at speed. I had no issues, used it on the highway at 72mph and on a two lane at 40mph. Increments up/down in 1mph steps (had read it was 4mph somewhere).

The engine was great, smooth and torquey. Didn't really have a top end rush, just flat torque all the way. That was the only disappointing aspect of the ride, it would have been nice to get a top end rush but it feels flat. Seems like they definitely are doing a lot of mapping to keep it smooth at low rpm. So easy to just put around at idle and pull away smoothly. I'd never call it a fast bike but the torque is deceptive.

The demo had the tall windscreen. I rode it with it all the way down and up. Down it was fine on the highway and up would probably be great for a cold ride. I like smaller screens though, particularly in the summer. I figure I can always buy the bigger one later.

Still haven't seen the bags in person, but bought them anyway. I like the clean integrated mounting of them. The top box seems disappointingly small but oh well.
Lightisright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #2665
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 850
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightisright View Post
Test rode an Explorer today, ordered a std black one afterwards. Should get it in about a week....
Congrats - hope your week goes by quickly
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #2666
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
The engine was great, smooth and torquey. Didn't really have a top end rush, just flat torque all the way. That was the only disappointing aspect of the ride, it would have been nice to get a top end rush but it feels flat. Seems like they definitely are doing a lot of mapping to keep it smooth at low rpm. So easy to just put around at idle and pull away smoothly. I'd never call it a fast bike but the torque is deceptive.
I think you'll find that, you don't think you're going fast but in reality I bet you're just as fast as any bike with a top end "hit".
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #2667
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Quote:
Please report back in about a month, about 1000 miles after it's broken in. I dare say you will retract this statement.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #2668
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonacharlie View Post
Finally got to sit on one today at Freedom Powersports in Lawrenceville, Ga. It's a beast for sure. Hope to get a test ride when they get a few more in.
What I don't get is why the stylists made those plastic panels on the sides of the tank!? Seems if that had been made as part of the whole tank it would have increased fuel volume up to about 25 liters or about 6.5 gallons (like my Daytona 1200). Maybe that's the plan, to come out with a larger all steel tank... who knows.
Anyways, the bike is a beautiful thing to see in the metal.

dc
Did they clean my drool of the tank? I sat on that one yesterday..

I do agree though. The width and tank height makes my Vee feel small!

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #2669
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Here's one of Honda's Adventure bikes, at least that's the way they sold it here in Canada... and I can say that these will survive a tip over.

Any of the new Honda Cross whatevers would have similar bags.
Well I suppose any bike is an "adventure bike" if you are having an adventure! Years ago in the late 60's one of the original motorcycle rallies in Australia was the Alpine Rally, held at the onset of winter near Canberra with a 50km 4WD track for access depending on the direction of approach. Trail bikes had not long been invented and were gaining popularity but the "rule" for the Alpine was, no chook-chasers. The result being a large camp site filled with new Honda Fours, Suzuki Waterbottles, Yamaha XS650s, plenty of Meridon Trumpies and the odd bearded gentleman on his Guzzi followed by the Kwaka Nines a few years later. Most riders had their mud-caked front guards strapped over the rear seat with bungee cords. The almost universal Dunlop K81's were next to no good in the mud but thats what we did back then!

Thinking back, it makes me smile when some wag wants to knock a DL in favour of an S10 or a GS in favour of a Stelvio or an Explorer in favour of a Crosstourer! Hell, back in 1971 I would have gladly swapped my Honda Four for any of the aforementioned for the ride home from the Alpine!

So just to throw you a curveball, here is my modern day version of the "perfect" Alpine Rally motorcycle...

And just for interest sake, here is a couple more pics of the same bike the last one being how is is now however I'm thinking of converting it back for dirt use as I have an outback adventure in mind. Arrg, there's that "adventure" word again!

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Grizzlybear screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 11:00 PM
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #2670
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,149
Oooh, twist the knife!

Quote:
Test rode an Explorer today, ordered a std black one afterwards... It was a real head vs heart decision, this vs the MS1200. I rode the MS previously (twice) at this same dealer, had been just waiting for the Explorer to show up. I really wanted the MS (liked the thought of it more than the riding) but I went for do all practicality and lower cost of ownership. For how I envision my use of it, the shaft and cc, plus cheaper to buy in made this the smart money move...
Oh, man, talk about twisting the knife. After Buell went belly-up, I felt I had to replace the '06 Uly, and since the GS felt too big for me (I'm 5-8, 150), the Ducati MTS1200S was "the only game in town," at least that appealed to me.

I would KILL for a cruise control; lots of extended flat roads here in the US West. If the Explorer 1200 had existed then, I would've snapped it up SOO fast.

I've got two big trips planned this summer/fall (just retired), and I figure I'll keep the Ducati through those trips, then try to sell it and look for an Explorer. Anyone interested in a 2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S ridden by a meticulous old mechanical engineering professor?

Anyway, thanks very much for your opinions.

--Doc
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW
2000 Kawasaki KLX300R
1992 Ducati 900SS
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote