View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #2716
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
The test bikes we were on had done Adelaide to Uluru and back again, admittedly not via single track but in reality the Oodnadatta Track and the run through The Flinders Ranges and Brachina Gorge etc was probably about as serious as people buying this style of bike are going to get. It is only a tiny proportion of owners that will go a long way off the regular tracks.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #2717
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Talking

Brought mine home last night. It was a long 2 1/2 months, but was well worth the wait. My dealership is only 27 miles from my front door, but it took me 117 miles to get there for some reason or another. Guess I need to buy another Garmin...

One thing I must add is for any of ya'll living in the midwest. It's worth the drive to the little town of Marne, Iowa. Look up Randy Baxter @ Baxter Cycle. It will be worth your time & effort. I've bought a lot of new bikes over the past 40 years, but have never been treated as well as @ Baxters. The whole crew makes you feel like family, rather than just a customer.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #2718
mentalfloss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
The baxters are good people. Marne Iowa is worth a trip if you get a chance.
Just for the dealership.
mentalfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #2719
motorcyclemark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Any one experience a problem when trying to get a re flash on the ecm for the Arrow slip on exhaust?

All the bs in their literature states that when you purchase the pipe it comes with a re flash for optimum performance.

Dealer tried but no dice, said they called Triumph and was told it did not require a re flash and would run fine without it.

Whats the deal with this shit? All I can think is maybe this is a Komifornia problem.

Anyone else in the states get a re flash?
motorcyclemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #2720
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclemark View Post
Any one experience a problem when trying to get a re flash on the ecm for the Arrow slip on exhaust?

All the bs in their literature states that when you purchase the pipe it comes with a re flash for optimum performance.

Dealer tried but no dice, said they called Triumph and was told it did not require a re flash and would run fine without it.

Whats the deal with this shit? All I can think is maybe this is a Komifornia problem.

All I know is you can't touch the new 1200 ECU with TuneECU so you have to see the dealer for updates now.

"Attention!! Very Important !! Never connect TuneECU with the new Triumph Tiger Explorer"
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #2721
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 839
Quote:

I heard it didn't need a re flash either (for the Arrow pipe).

FWIW, I took my bike in Friday for the first service (with 993 miles on the clock ) and the mech said the diagnostics showed there was an update for the ECM - which he loaded with no problems.
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #2722
Boston813
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Just when you think you're out, they pull you back in...

I went to my local dealership this past weekend to sit on the street triple R since it seemed like a nice change from my scrambler.

Just going by the comments on here about people waiting for there bikes I wasn't expecting to find a selection of Explorers waiting for me.

I was happy to fine 2 grays and a black with one of the grays set up with the value pack or whatever they are calling it.

I know I went in looking for a smaller bike but it really looks the business and the seat is so much better than the Italian ironing board they call a seat on the scrambler.

I'm still a little worried about the height even with the low setting on the seat but I think I could get used to it.

I think it will make a fine Wedding present to myself next year. After all, I'm going to need something for the Bachelor party camping motorcycle weekend...
Boston813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #2723
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
I got a chance to test ride a friend's Explorer over the weekend. Holy. Fucking. Shit. Fantastic motorcycle! I immediately felt at home on it due to the cockpit's similarities to the Tiger 800's. The engine is excellent, the drivetrain smooth, and I didn't notice any of the throttle abruptness some people have complained about. The bike was extremely comfortable, weather protection was good without being excessive (I still felt like I was on a motorcycle), and most importantly, when the road got twisty the Explorer handled smoothly and effortlessly despite being heavily loaded. Leaning into the corners was almost telepathic.

I would LOVE to get one of these for long-haul touring. I've ridden both the standard R1200GS and the GS Adventure, and this bike just blew them both away. Just awesome.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #2724
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,106
So we'll take that as a rather enthusiastic thumbs up then...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #2725
Testcase
Not to be trusted

Oddometer: 83
My local dealer said last week that the Sapphire Blues were listed as unavailable while he has black and graphites rolling in. Anyone know what the story is there? I'm debating between the Explorer and the Tenere.

(Or something smaller like an XC)
"Motorcycles and... stuff"

Testcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #2726
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 986
Quote:

The only Arrow on triumphusa site claims to work with the OE calibration (Im reading that as not needing a reflash).
Emperor Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #2727
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
The only Arrow on triumphusa site claims to work with the OE calibration (Im reading that as not needing a reflash).
The ARROW silencer was built for and under license for the Triumph Explorer as a Triumph accessory. The USA Arrow distributor says it must be bought through Triumph. That is another reason for the high price tag. The silencer from all accounts does not cause the need of a remapping.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #2728
EggChaser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testcase View Post
My local dealer said last week that the Sapphire Blues were listed as unavailable while he has black and graphites rolling in. Anyone know what the story is there? I'm debating between the Explorer and the Tenere.

(Or something smaller like an XC)
It's probably just a supply and demand issue - dealers in the UK have been changing which color has unacceptable delivery times for a while now and with shipping across the pond involved for you, reduced availability might really increase those times to the point where they state unavailable. As it happens when I ordered mine, the black ones had long delivery times and the blue had the shortest which was kind of convenient as I wanted blue.
EggChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #2729
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog View Post
The ARROW silencer was built for and under license for the Triumph Explorer as a Triumph accessory. The USA Arrow distributor says it must be bought through Triumph. That is another reason for the high price tag. The silencer from all accounts does not cause the need of a remapping.
You have to admit that is strange. The 800 requires a different map for the arrow can.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #2730
Echo3Niner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
You have to admit that is strange. The 800 requires a different map for the arrow can.
When I got my Daytona 675 with the factory Arrow can, they put the TOR (Triumph Off-Road; e.g. "race", though it's really not) map on my bike for the Arrow... There is also supposed to be an "Arrow" map as well, so three; stock, Arrow and TOR. I never tried the "Arrow". This is not limited to the Daytona either.
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote