ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #2761
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Country Victoria (Was WA)
Oddometer: 207
The throttle by wire on the Triumph though is different to most fly-by-wire systems, where they normally also run a cable to some sort of servo motor or the like, there is no conventional cable running anywhere from the Triumphs throttle tube, only an electrical cable. This is unlike all the other throttle by wire systems on motorcycles. It seems like a good idea with less complexity etc. and they have obviously done endless development work to get it right, the throttle felt normal to me. No problem hooking it up on one wheel and going through gears balancing the height on the throttle, or trying to find a bit of traction in the soft stuff. My only comment regarded the engine while technically quite brilliant, didn't give me the grin factor when hitting the gas, which to me is a big part of the fun of riding, I mean I ride bikes to have fun... If I wanted clinical techno brilliance I would drive a Toyota.
__________________
Trev - KTM 990 Adventure R / KTM 990 SMT / Honda CRF450X / 93 CBR 900 RR / KTM 450 XC ATV
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #2762
AtlantaDR
Anything on 2 Wheels
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: North Atlanta
Oddometer: 129
Comparison Observations

Observations based on the other bikes I own, or have have owned, in the past few years. Note: My experience may not be anything like yours...just my experience.

My Stats; 6' 2", 35" inseam, 52 years old, 34 years of riding, 20-30K miles a year on different bikes, commuting in Los Angeles area and multiple cross country trips

Goldwing GL1800A
Hard to compare an Adventure Bike to a top of the line touring bike, but here are a few observations. Since it is half the weight of the Goldwing, it feels like a dual sport by comparison. Goes wherever you point it. Weight to HP ratio makes the Explorer pretty quick. A lot more air compared to a fully faired touring bike, but still pretty good air management with the touring shield. Shield is easily adjusted manually in a matter of seconds (not on the fly). Obviously none of the amenities like radio, navigation, etc... If I was going on a ride with my wife, Goldwing gets the nod, but if I was headed out by myself, even if it was a long trip, I am going with the Explorer most of the time. Goldwing has torque and pulls in all gears...not so much for the Explorer, but still pretty darn good for 600 less CC's. Put 200K miles on 4 different Goldwings over 10 years (including a trip to Alaska), and just don't feel the need for bike that big, luxurious or heavy.

2007 FJR 1300ABS & 2009 Concours 1400ABS
FJR and C-14's are both great bikes, but difficult for a tall person with long legs. Added bar risers, taller windshield, custom seat and never could get totally comfortable. Both of these bikes make their power totally different from the Explorer. The power band up above 6,000 rpm on these bikes will really make you smile. Since I am still in the break-in period, I have no idea what the Explorer will do up in that range, but looking forward to finding out. The ergos for the Explorer are almost perfect for me, which is why I don't have the FJR and C-14 anymore. These Sport Tourers are perfect for younger, more flexible riders without long legs. I did like the electric windshields on these bikes, and the wind management with the right after-market screen was pretty good. The gas mileage for the Explorer (according to the computer) is about 43-45mpg, which is very comparable to the FJR, Concours and the Goldwing. (C-14 took premium gas, which was an extra expense that the Explorer does not require. Sold both of these bikes.

2009 DL-1000 and 2011 DL650A
The DL650A is my daily commuter, and my wife's weekend bike. The DL-1000 was my weekend/touring machine. I love both the DL650A, and the DL-1000. My decision to sell the 1000 is one that I continue to second guess for all of the reasons that are known by V-Strom riders. The 1000 has such strong engine, a relaxed seating position, and is so easy to maintain. The primary decision maker for me was the fact the DL-1000 does not have ABS. If they made it in ABS, I would own one. Although I have never been down because of non-ABS brakes, it just doesn't make sense not to have it these days. (in my opinion) I was able to get comfortable on either of the V-stroms with a taller seat and a madstad bracket. I added an XL Parabellum to the DL650A because my wife likes to keep the wind off, and she does not mine looking through a windshield. V-Stroms fit me almost off the showroom floor. I found almost the same is true of the Explorer.

So, my finalists to replace the DL-1000 were: BMW K1600GT, 2012 DL-650A, or the Explorer 1200.

Did not choose the DL-650A because it is too much like the 2011 that we have. Did not need 2 of the same bikes in the garage.

The K1600GT is a fabulous bike. Fit an finish is amazing, lots of bells and whistles, and that new engine is so strong. With that said, I have avoided BMW's for 30 years because of both the upfront capital investment and the ongoing maintenance expenses. Not bashing, just saying it has always felt like too much $$ for a bike that seems to need a lot more dealer attention. That is also one of the reasons I have never looked seriously at a Triumph, so that remains to be seen on this one. Maintenance intervals seem to be very reasonable on the Explorer 1200.

So, I went with the Tiger Explorer 1200 because the ergs are right, the engine is interesting and strong, the transmission is silky smooth, it has ABS, wide bars, and fits a tall guy, The seat is adjustable up, which I like, although I had to put it in the up position in the front and the low position in the back to counter act a natural slope that was scrunching my parts. I can take it to Alaska without a lot of more mods, and if I want to so some light off-road riding I can. I can use it as a commuter on the days that my wife wants to use the DL650A during the week, and I can load it up and go cross country.

I was able to do a short test ride by telling my dealer that I refused to spend this much money without riding it. When I turned around to walk out with my checkbook in hand, they reluctantly agreed. I would not have bought it without the test ride. Once they have their demo bikes in place, they will sell lots of these bikes. I was totally sold once I rode it. They sell themselves.

It has only been two days and 150 smiles, but so far I am loving it. Hope some of this is helpful

Rob

AtlantaDR screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 10:16 PM
AtlantaDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #2763
Jud
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jud's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: N.E. Ga. USA
Oddometer: 2,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaDR View Post
Observations based on the other bikes I own, or have have owned, in the past few years. Note: My experience may not be anything like yours...just my experience.

My Stats; 6' 2", 35" inseam, 52 years old, 34 years of riding, 20-30K miles a year on different bikes, commuting in Los Angeles area and multiple cross country trips

Goldwing GL1800A
Hard to compare an Adventure Bike to a top of the line touring bike, but here are a few observations. Since it is half the weight of the Goldwing, it feels like a dual sport by comparison. Goes wherever you point it. Weight to HP ratio makes the Explorer pretty quick. A lot more air compared to a fully faired touring bike, but still pretty good air management with the touring shield. Shield is easily adjusted manually in a matter of seconds (not on the fly). Obviously none of the amenities like radio, navigation, etc... If I was going on a ride with my wife, Goldwing gets the nod, but if I was headed out by myself, even if it was a long trip, I am going with the Explorer most of the time. Goldwing has torque and pulls in all gears...not so much for the Explorer, but still pretty darn good for 600 less CC's. Put 200K miles on 4 different Goldwings over 10 years (including a trip to Alaska), and just don't feel the need for bike that big, luxurious or heavy.

2007 FJR 1300ABS & 2009 Concours 1400ABS
FJR and C-14's are both great bikes, but difficult for a tall person with long legs. Added bar risers, taller windshield, custom seat and never could get totally comfortable. Both of these bikes make their power totally different from the Explorer. The power band up above 6,000 rpm on these bikes will really make you smile. Since I am still in the break-in period, I have no idea what the Explorer will do up in that range, but looking forward to finding out. The ergos for the Explorer are almost perfect for me, which is why I don't have the FJR and C-14 anymore. These Sport Tourers are perfect for younger, more flexible riders without long legs. I did like the electric windshields on these bikes, and the wind management with the right after-market screen was pretty good. The gas mileage for the Explorer (according to the computer) is about 43-45mpg, which is very comparable to the FJR, Concours and the Goldwing. (C-14 took premium gas, which was an extra expense that the Explorer does not require. Sold both of these bikes.

2009 DL-1000 and 2011 DL650A
The DL650A is my daily commuter, and my wife's weekend bike. The DL-1000 was my weekend/touring machine. I love both the DL650A, and the DL-1000. My decision to sell the 1000 is one that I continue to second guess for all of the reasons that are known by V-Strom riders. The 1000 has such strong engine, a relaxed seating position, and is so easy to maintain. The primary decision maker for me was the fact the DL-1000 does not have ABS. If they made it in ABS, I would own one. Although I have never been down because of non-ABS brakes, it just doesn't make sense not to have it these days. (in my opinion) I was able to get comfortable on either of the V-stroms with a taller seat and a madstad bracket. I added an XL Parabellum to the DL650A because my wife likes to keep the wind off, and she does not mine looking through a windshield. V-Stroms fit me almost off the showroom floor. I found almost the same is true of the Explorer.

So, my finalists to replace the DL-1000 were: BMW K1600GT, 2012 DL-650A, or the Explorer 1200.

Did not choose the DL-650A because it is too much like the 2011 that we have. Did not need 2 of the same bikes in the garage.

The K1600GT is a fabulous bike. Fit an finish is amazing, lots of bells and whistles, and that new engine is so strong. With that said, I have avoided BMW's for 30 years because of both the upfront capital investment and the ongoing maintenance expenses. Not bashing, just saying it has always felt like too much $$ for a bike that seems to need a lot more dealer attention. That is also one of the reasons I have never looked seriously at a Triumph, so that remains to be seen on this one. Maintenance intervals seem to be very reasonable on the Explorer 1200.

So, I went with the Tiger Explorer 1200 because the ergs are right, the engine is interesting and strong, the transmission is silky smooth, it has ABS, wide bars, and fits a tall guy, The seat is adjustable up, which I like, although I had to put it in the up position in the front and the low position in the back to counter act a natural slope that was scrunching my parts. I can take it to Alaska without a lot of more mods, and if I want to so some light off-road riding I can. I can use it as a commuter on the days that my wife wants to use the DL650A during the week, and I can load it up and go cross country.

I was able to do a short test ride by telling my dealer that I refused to spend this much money without riding it. When I turned around to walk out with my checkbook in hand, they reluctantly agreed. I would not have bought it without the test ride. Once they have their demo bikes in place, they will sell lots of these bikes. I was totally sold once I rode it. They sell themselves.

Unlike the reports i am reading, it is possible to negotiate a good price on this bike.. I was in the fortunate position of having the cash to buy the bike and I went to two different dealers to get their best prices. I ended up buying from the dealer closest to me, and will spend my service dollars there too. I won't report here how much below MSRP i paid because I don't want to take any joy away from those who spent a lot more, but I would encourage you to not assume you have to pay MSRP plus other fees. That is just not the case if you are willing to shop it and negotiate. For those that don't like to, or don't want to, or feel like they need to support their dealer that way, that is cool, just saying it is possible.

It has only been two days and 150 smiles, but so far I am loving it. Hope some of this is helpful

Rob
Derned good post.

Here's hoping that Triumph will make two models like they did with the 800. I would like more range and could live with the rest.
__________________
Pics- http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/s...eon/?start=all
Places visited on two- http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/s...0two%20wheels/
Endeavor to Persevere
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #2764
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it
 
kindofblue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Albuquerque NM
Oddometer: 826
How did it handle the slow speed work for several hours? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Was working with a 1200 rider at the weekend doing Triathlon motorcycle duty. Luggage has good capacity, BUT does make the bike WIDE.
__________________
Doc Reid
Wondering about your drinking? www.drinkerscheckup.com
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #2765
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
Oddometer: 2,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
I took a half-hour test ride on an Explorer today. Best way I can describe it is "Camry-like". Nothing objectionable, well put together, and smooth and boring as tofu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROM-CRF450X-990SMT View Post
while incredibly impressive from an engineering perspective I felt it lacked character and left me a little cold. It’s a terrible thing to say, but I feel I have to as most machines in this class have incredibly charismatic motors. From BMW’s unique boxer, to Honda’s new V-Four CrossTourer and KTM’s off-road benchmark Adventure with its far-from-faultless but hugely addictive 990cc v-twin, machines in this character really do possess their own unique nature, yet the Triumph, I can’t help feeling, is the most vanilla of the bunch.
Interesting you guys say that; I disagree completely. I find the Triumph triple thoroughly addictive, and the one in the Explorer is no exception. And as for comparisons with other bikes, I haven't ridden the CrossTourer (moot point, as it's not coming to the US anyway, last I heard) or the KTM, but I have ridden both the R1200GS and GSA, for extended rides, and I thought the Explorer was a better bike. I got off the BMWs and thought, "Yeah, nice bike, I can see why people buy them for long-haul touring." I got off the Tiger Explorer and thought, "This bike is awesome! When I finally make that Alaska trip happen I've got to budget for one of these!"

--mark
__________________
'11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #2766
Croak
Studly Adventurer
 
Croak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC/Is-Swieqi, Malta
Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Interesting you guys say that; I disagree completely. I find the Triumph triple thoroughly addictive, and the one in the Explorer is no exception.

--mark
Thing is, I'm on my second Sprint ST 955, an '02 that replaced a high-mile '99. I loved the '99 and rode (and abused) the wheels off of it, love the more powerful '02 even more. So I'm used to the "turbine-like" power delivery of a Triumph triple, have had very few issues with the Sprints beyond just lots of use (well over 100k miles between the two bikes), and greatly appreciate the torque mesa.

But there's just something bland about the Explorer. It engenders no lust for me after a lengthy test ride. I simply no longer have a desire to own one.

Seriously, I went to the dealership with my checkbook, ready to ride the Explorer home complete with additional farkles. I had some lust, based mostly on reports from this thread and my prior satisfaction with my Sprints. Besides the graphite demo bike, they had a graphite launch model ready for sale and not spoken for, and that was my color of choice.

I figured the test ride would be a formality and I was doing the mental math in my head and wondering how long it would take to do the paperwork and if they had panniers and tank bags in stock as I threw my leg over the saddle. As I was pulling out of the dealership, I was already thinking about who to call for a ride back to the dealership to pick it up when I dropped my Tuono off at home, and where to ride the Explorer after delivery so as to burn up the first service miles before the weekend was over.

Half an hour later, all lust was gone, all thoughts of road trips banished. Don't get me wrong, as I said, it's a well-built, well-equipped machine, well-suited for the tasks and riders it was built for. Turns out I'm just not one of those riders.
__________________
2003 Aprilia Tuono
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2013 Kymco Agility City 200i
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #2767
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
Seriously, I went to the dealership with my checkbook, ready to ride the Explorer home complete with additional farkles. I had some lust, based mostly on reports from this thread and my prior satisfaction with my Sprints. Besides the graphite demo bike, they had a graphite launch model ready for sale and not spoken for, and that was my color of choice.

I figured the test ride would be a formality and I was doing the mental math in my head and wondering how long it would take to do the paperwork and if they had panniers and tank bags in stock as I threw my leg over the saddle. As I was pulling out of the dealership, I was already thinking about who to call for a ride back to the dealership to pick it up when I dropped my Tuono off at home, and where to ride the Explorer after delivery so as to burn up the first service miles before the weekend was over.

Half an hour later, all lust was gone, all thoughts of road trips banished. Don't get me wrong, as I said, it's a well-built, well-equipped machine, well-suited for the tasks and riders it was built for. Turns out I'm just not one of those riders.
Excellent, well thought out and written posts guys.

Sheesh.....there's no bashing, no name calling, just well considered posts.

Oh wait.....I'm not in Orange Crush, now it makes sense.

Thanks to all for the insights. Very helpful.

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #2768
MrMac
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Dacula, Ga.
Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaDR View Post

...

It has only been two days and 150 smiles, but so far I am loving it. Hope some of this is helpful

Rob
Thanks Rob! Great writeup! As a DL1k owner, I'd like to hear more about how they compare once you get some miles on it. Like you, the (lack of) ABS has been an issue for me as well. It'll probably be awhile before I pull the trigger, but right now the Explorer is at the top of my list..

Also, very curious about the 2-up comfort. If anyone has feedback on that, it would be welcome.
__________________
K13 Tiger Explorer XC, K7-KLR650

Some of the more aware dinosaurs warned of the dangers of an iridium-enriched nuclear reactor. 'If this thing goes off', they warned, 'there would be nothing left but cockroaches and mammals.'
MrMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #2769
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
Oddometer: 2,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
And that concludes my brief consideration of an adventure-touring bike for this year. I'll try again when the Caponord 1200 hits the ground. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
It's that lack of exciting performance that really made the bike boring to me (and probably why I keep walking away from adventure-touring bikes).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
But there's just something bland about the Explorer. It engenders no lust for me after a lengthy test ride. I simply no longer have a desire to own one.

Fair enough -- from your posts, it's obvious that you're simply more suited to a sport-touring bike, and an ADV tourer is not your cup of tea.

The obvious question then is, why keep looking at ADV bikes? Or if you want something more upright than a sport-touring bike, perhaps a Ducati Multistrada 1200 or the upcoming Tiger Sport 1050 would fit your needs better?

--mark
__________________
'11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #2770
Croak
Studly Adventurer
 
Croak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC/Is-Swieqi, Malta
Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Fair enough -- from your posts, it's obvious that you're simply more suited to a sport-touring bike, and an ADV tourer is not your cup of tea.

The obvious question then is, why keep looking at ADV bikes? Or if you want something more upright than a sport-touring bike, perhaps a Ducati Multistrada 1200 or the upcoming Tiger Sport 1050 would fit your needs better?

--mark
I keep looking because I'm hoping someday somebody will make a long-travel suspension road bike that suits me and excites me enough to drop five digits.

So far, nobody has.
__________________
2003 Aprilia Tuono
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2013 Kymco Agility City 200i
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #2771
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
I keep looking because I'm hoping someday somebody will make a long-travel suspension road bike that suits me and excites me enough to drop five digits.

So far, nobody has.
Have to taken a look at the new 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX? They're at dealers now, at least here in the US, and if that bike doesn't elicit some sort of emotion after a test ride, someone needs to check your pulse. It has more character than a blockbuster movie.

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #2772
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Country Victoria (Was WA)
Oddometer: 207
Here is my yarn on the Explorer 1200 - http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/Tri...00/Review1.htm

Backgrounder - Have owned plenty of dual-sports over the years including quite a few DR650s and did some big trips on them, own a DL650 and KTM 990 Adventure R currently (along with CRF450X, 990 SMT and a '93 Fireblade). Have done many thousands of kilometres on all current crop of adventure-tourers, BMW Safaris etc. on GS, APC Rally on Tiger 800 XC and probably more than 10,000km on Tiger 800 all up, similar sort of milage on GS. Around 1000km on Stelvio NTX. A few thousand km on DL1000, many more on DL650. Did just over 2000km on new Explorer 1200 to base my opinion for the yarn. In reality a consumer could own any of these bikes and be completely happy with their purchase, and have no reason not to be.
__________________
Trev - KTM 990 Adventure R / KTM 990 SMT / Honda CRF450X / 93 CBR 900 RR / KTM 450 XC ATV

STROM-CRF450X-990SMT screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 03:43 PM
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #2773
Croak
Studly Adventurer
 
Croak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC/Is-Swieqi, Malta
Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Have to taken a look at the new 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX? They're at dealers now, at least here in the US, and if that bike doesn't elicit some sort of emotion after a test ride, someone needs to check your pulse. It has more character than a blockbuster movie.

-SM
I spent a fair bit of time on a 2009 Stelvio with the updated cams and found it lacking desirability as well, though it was more compelling than the Explorer, all things considered. Also considered the Norge.

If I were to go the Stelvio route, it wouldn't be an NTX, paying for stuff I'd never need or actually dislike (narrow 150 rear tire on wire wheels, ludicrous-sized tank, aux lights and bulky metal panniers).

The lack of those things (except the skinny rear tire) is what made me think the Explorer would be a better choice (well, that and 32 more HP).
__________________
2003 Aprilia Tuono
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2013 Kymco Agility City 200i
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #2774
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Country Victoria (Was WA)
Oddometer: 207
This was my yarn on the Stelvio NTX.
Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 NTX
By Trevor Hedge

466km from a tank, and that wasn’t sparing the horses!

Phillip Island to Eildon then along the unforgiving Eildon-Jamieson Road before turning right onto the wonderfully scenic dirt route through to Woods Point, as it meanders alongside the Goulburn River. From there down out of the ranges in to Marysville before a final strop along the Black Spur to Moto Guzzi dealer, A1 Motorcycles, in Ringwood. That’s the sort of adventure that the Stelvio 1200 NTX can take you on without needing to visit a service station, thanks to its huge 32-litre fuel tank.

The very comfortable rider and pillion seats and friendly ergonomics ensure that tank range is entirely useable without a need for respite.

And somehow Moto Guzzi have been able to shoehorn that huge fuel cell into the Stelvio without making it feel like a fat bloater.

At 272kg wet, the Stelvio NTX is a bit of a fat bloater, but it hides its bulk remarkably well and feels smaller and more manageable that most big tanked bikes.

The steering is light, the turning circle reasonable, and despite 210mm of ground clearance, the seat height is a manageable 820-840mm, depending on where you set the seat position.

Moto Guzzi make mention of an ‘improved clutch’ in the PR guff for the model but it feels like a whole new driveline.

The clutch is light, easy to use and the gearbox feels brilliant compared with any other Guzzi box I have sampled. There was very little driveline lash on our test bike. Combine that with an almost imperceptibly smooth throttle pick-up, and it potentially makes the Stelvio one of the smoothest motorcycles in existence.

Rolling from side to side as you wind the throttle on and off, this latest Stelvio NTX is so fluid, graceful and effortless that you can’t help but be enamoured by it.

Don’t hurry downshifts; instead go with the flow and keep the engine spinning between 2500 and 6500 rpm and you will be rewarded with a satisfying gait that puts you in a Zen-type zone.

Roll through the Black Spur with the Stelvio left in top gear, if you like, and it will pull effortlessly out of the tight turns with that 90-degree v-twin beat chugging away merrily.

Maximum torque arrives at 5800rpm with 113Nm the claimed amount of twist. Guzzi claims 105hp at 7250rpm but during my time with the bike I rarely revved the big mill that high and instead just surfed the torque wave that comes in strong from 2500rpm. That’s how to ‘get’ a Guzzi.

Aprilia’s influence on the 90-year-old Guzzi brand can be seen in the obvious external quality improvements. The recent rate of change to the engineering of the machine is almost unheard of for such a small volume manufacturer. In the past three years wholesale changes have been made to the charismatic powerplant again and again. More up to date engine management systems have been employed to really polish enough of the rough edges from the drivetrain without removing the trademark Guzzi quirks of character that make them unique. Aprilia’s expertise can also be seen at work in the effective tuning of the ABS and traction control systems that really help to bring the Stelvio NTX into the realm of modern motorcycling smarts.

Unlike the Japanese brands that insist on riders not being able to turn off those systems due to their fear of litigation, Moto Guzzi - most importantly for a machine with the pretensions of semi-serious off-road use – allows both ABS and traction control to be switched off for those really tricky predicaments where even the best systems become a hindrance rather than a help. Descents on a very loose surface are too much for any ABS system, likewise traction control on sand which equals going nowhere.

The Stelvio’s traction control system does allow a fair bit of slip and slide and thus for 95% of off-road work it can be left on without issue. It is much less intrusive than the base setting of Yamaha’s Super Tenere traction control, or BMW’s GS system. At the other end of the spectrum, the Guzzi is almost, but not quite as liberal as either of those bikes in their more relaxed sport setting. The Stelvio, like the Super Tenere, cannot be slid as controllably as the GS with traction control off. This is where the weight of the final drive of both the Yamaha and Guzzi simply can’t be hidden. In their defence those manufacturers boast that is a consequence of the stronger design of their final drive system in comparison to the BMW. Durability or broadside power slides… I know which one I would prefer, but then I am an incurable hoon.

Clearly, Moto Guzzi have got a lot right in this third - and by far most successful - crack at producing an all-roads touring machine, that can hold its head high amongst some stiff competition.

Braking power of the Brembo-equipped Guzzi seems good enough. If being picky, I would like a little more progression at the lever as there almost seems two stages that quickly transition from little stopping power, to major stopping power with little in between. With time you come to train your fingers to its nuances and it is not something a long-term owner would find problematic once attuned to the trait. The ABS system is largely unobtrusive and can be safely left on for all but the most challenging off-road work. The large rear brake has decent feel and is quite resistant to fade.

Full trip computer functions are available from the well-thought-out dash, with functions able to be scrolled through from the handlebar. Overall the whole electronics suite is well thought out and easy to use.

Across virtually every brand, Europeans are comprehensively making the Japanese big four look stupid when it comes to the useful implementation of electronic rider aids. Who would have thought…?

On the suspension side of the equation the Guzzi is quite reasonable. The suspension stiffens noticeably as the load increases and offers a fair balance between comfort and sport. Still, a couple of big hits did have me yelping in pain from the shock I received up my back as the suspension hit full tilt. They were big hits though, one in particular at speed on the dirt was hard enough to push the pads back on the calipers and had me pumping the brake lever frantically while heading for a cliff edge that would have seen me still tumbling down by the time you got to read this review. Amazingly, the spoked rims proved robust enough to remain round after the sort of hit that would likely have destroyed a cast alloy rim.

Turn-in is light and the bike unflappable from your chosen cornering line once into a bend. If you have made an initial error of judgement, changing direction from that point is not quite as simple, but can be done.

The Stelvio remains quite well balanced in low speed off-road work but once things get challenging the machine’s heft is readily apparent and not for the feint hearted.

By now you would have worked out that I quite like this latest Guzzi, and I certainly do, but it is not all smooth sailing on the good ship Stelvio.

My biggest bugbear with the Stelvio became apparent when the ambient temperature started to nudge 30-degrees Celsius. My upper left thigh started to get a bit of a roasting from the muffler pipe and in slow work the heat from the big air and oil cooled v-twin made things a little uncomfortable. I can only imagine the sauna it would induce at the height of an Australian summer if heading into challenging terrain.

The adjustable screen seems ample at first glance but in practice would benefit from being a little larger for anyone of average height or more. In fairness, all the opposition suffer the same problem.

While fitted with some quite generous crash protection as standard, more serious off-roaders will want to explore some third party aftermarket options to more effectively protect the cylinder heads and ancillaries. A better set of wide and serrated pegs for off-road work would also be beneficial. Guzzi also offer an optional protector for the shaft drive system that would be a wise investment for the more intrepid adventurer.

With the standard fitment aluminium luggage in place the otherwise well-catered-for pillion passenger is a little squeezed for legroom.

The locks on the panniers are secure enough, but annoying to use and the actual locking mechanism does not seem at all sturdy and do not give the impression of a long service life. Other than that the panniers seem robust enough and swallowed my large business size 15.4” laptop case quite easily. They look pretty good too, are easily removed and the associated bracketry left behind is not overly ghastly.

During my 600km stint with Stelvio, numerous bystanders remarked on its great sound; annoyingly, that music failed to make its way inside my helmet. A freer flowing muffler would be a must-have accessory, to revel in the full Guzzi cadenza.

But that’s really about the summary of my whinging points of note and overall I rank this latest Stelvio NTX quite highly. At $23,990 complete with ABS, traction control, luggage, bash-plate, strong spoked rims, driving lights, shaft drive and a huge tank range, the Stelvio NTX is more than an interesting oddity in the burgeoning adventure-touring category. It is a model very worthy of consideration, particularly for riders that are unhurried, and instead quite happy to relax and go with the flow. It is then that the Guzzi really shines. I like it.


Specs – Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 NTX
Engine – 1151cc, air/oil-cooled, v-twin
Bore x Stroke – 95 x 81.2 mm
Transmission – Six speed, shaft drive
Seat Height – 820-840mm
Wet Weight – 272kg (claimed)
Fuel Capacity – 32 Litres
Average Consumption on test – 6 litres per 100km
Range – 466km+ (Tested)
Warranty – Two years
Price – Expect to pay around $23,990 + ORC

Verdict - ****

Positives
+ Smooth drivetrain
+ Good electronics suite
+ Handsome
+ Charismatic
+ Comes fully loaded

Negatives
- Heat transfer to rider
- Heavy
__________________
Trev - KTM 990 Adventure R / KTM 990 SMT / Honda CRF450X / 93 CBR 900 RR / KTM 450 XC ATV
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #2775
Echo3Niner
Adventurer
 
Echo3Niner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaDR View Post
It has only been two days and 150 smiles, but so far I am loving it. Hope some of this is helpful

Rob
That was a great post; one of the best I've read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMac View Post
Thanks Rob! Great writeup! As a DL1k owner, I'd like to hear more about how they compare once you get some miles on it. Like you, the (lack of) ABS has been an issue for me as well. It'll probably be awhile before I pull the trigger, but right now the Explorer is at the top of my list..

Also, very curious about the 2-up comfort. If anyone has feedback on that, it would be welcome.
I'm with you there too! I would love to hear more on both points myself, because we're considering the DL1000 vs. the TEX. And the whole point of getting either of these is specifically for the pillion, so this would almost exclusively be a 2-up bike for me.

So Dr. Rob (my name is Rob too, and I'll try not to hold the fact that you're a doctor against you), we look forward to hearing more from you!
__________________
Semper Fi
2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE & 2013 Ducati Diavel Strada Former 2007 RW&B VFR800
Marine Veteran & father of Sgt. Doug; (2 tours: Iraq) AND Former 2nd Lt. Corielle (Corie); VMI NROTC/Marine Opt. Grad
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015