Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #2761
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
I took a half-hour test ride on an Explorer today. Best way I can describe it is "Camry-like". Nothing objectionable, well put together, and smooth and boring as tofu.

And that concludes my brief consideration of an adventure-touring bike for this year. I'll try again when the Caponord 1200 hits the ground. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROM-CRF450X-990SMT View Post
I agree - More from my draft slightly more long winded yarn - " On the road the engine provides perhaps the most linear power delivery in motorcycling history. Triumph claim a 121Nm torque peak at 6400rpm and 137hp (102kW) at 9000rpm with more than 100Nm of torque available from as low as 2500rpm. I believe them. The EFI and throttle response canít be faulted. If anything - as ridiculous as it sounds - it may be too perfect; while incredibly impressive from an engineering perspective I felt it lacked character and left me a little cold. Itís a terrible thing to say, but I feel I have to as most machines in this class have incredibly charismatic motors. From BMWís unique boxer, to Hondaís new V-Four CrossTourer and KTMís off-road benchmark Adventure with its far-from-faultless but hugely addictive 990cc v-twin, machines in this character really do possess their own unique nature, yet the Triumph, I canít help feeling, is the most vanilla of the bunch. Despite it in many ways being the most technically impressive, and the most powerful.
"
You two can call it boring all you want, but there's something to be said for having endless torque available, anytime, anywhere. I just sold my CBF1000, Honda's version of bland and boring. It was a great bike and a blast to ride. Just leave it in 2nd or 3rd and roll on, roll off through the twisties. Sure you can ride it like a 600 supersport banging through the gears and bouncing off the limiter, but what's the point?

From your description of the Tiger I'd buy one.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #2762
Echo3Niner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Although I have not ridden the bike, I am leery of the throttle by wire arrangement. I don't like the concept for a couple of reasons. The first question I would have for the Triumph designers with respect to the throttle by wire concept is, why? What's the advantage over a cable throttle and what is wrong with a cable throttle? An electronic throttle just sounds like something that could potentially go very wrong -- especially if it broke in the boondocks.
Not planning to buy another motorcycle in the future? Cause they are all going to have it....

Quote:
I am seriously considering purchasing the Explorer and this will be one hell of a decision. I'm also considering the Tiger 800 XC. With the XC, I don't like tube tires. Who wants to go through the major PITA fixing a flat tube tire in the boondocks?

If the XC had tubeless tires, it would be a no-brainer for me. I would buy the XC. But there's something about that big Explorer that tells me that this is a bike for long days in the saddle and for those ear-to-ear grins when you order-up the available power.
Seriously? Um, there is this thing called an "after market", if you love a bike, but have this one little issue, you can, you know, change it... (Yes, I know I'm being an asshat...)
ďReveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.Ē
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #2763
kessler89
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:

Although I have not ridden the bike, I am leery of the throttle by wire arrangement. I don't like the concept for a couple of reasons. The first question I would have for the Triumph designers with respect to the throttle by wire concept is, why? What's the advantage over a cable throttle and what is wrong with a cable throttle? An electronic throttle just sounds like something that could potentially go very wrong -- especially if it broke in the boondocks.

welcome to the 21st centruy almost every car has "throttle by wire" including my truck and the last 3 vehicles i've owned, we're not talking hybrid technology here, i'm pretty sure the engineers have the TBW down pat
kessler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #2764
AtlantaDR
Anything on 2 Wheels

Oddometer: 130
Explorer California

Picked up my Graphite Launch Edition here in the Los Angeles area. Mounted my GIVI top case while I wait for some luggage choices. Love the engine, the smooth tranny and the light handling. Have had a lot of bikes the past few years, but I think this one is a keeper.

http://s697.photobucket.com/albums/vv335/2wheelrob/
AtlantaDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #2765
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaDR View Post
Picked up my Graphite Launch Edition here in the Los Angeles area. Mounted my GIVI top case while I wait for some luggage choices. Love the engine, the smooth tranny and the light handling. Have had a lot of bikes the past few years, but I think this one is a keeper.

Congratulations!

Let us know how it compares to your Strom.

Is that the stock height windshield?

John
Old 06-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #2766
TALLGUY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
comparison?

Quote:

Well it looks like you have had a Goldwing, both Vstroms, and an FJR so any insight on wind management, road manners, etc would be nice if you get a chance. I guess maybe some simple pros and cons maybe. No bashing needed.

Thanks
TG
Old 06-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #2767
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
The throttle by wire on the Triumph though is different to most fly-by-wire systems, where they normally also run a cable to some sort of servo motor or the like, there is no conventional cable running anywhere from the Triumphs throttle tube, only an electrical cable. This is unlike all the other throttle by wire systems on motorcycles. It seems like a good idea with less complexity etc. and they have obviously done endless development work to get it right, the throttle felt normal to me. No problem hooking it up on one wheel and going through gears balancing the height on the throttle, or trying to find a bit of traction in the soft stuff. My only comment regarded the engine while technically quite brilliant, didn't give me the grin factor when hitting the gas, which to me is a big part of the fun of riding, I mean I ride bikes to have fun... If I wanted clinical techno brilliance I would drive a Toyota.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #2768
AtlantaDR
Anything on 2 Wheels

Oddometer: 130
Comparison Observations

Observations based on the other bikes I own, or have have owned, in the past few years. Note: My experience may not be anything like yours...just my experience.

My Stats; 6' 2", 35" inseam, 52 years old, 34 years of riding, 20-30K miles a year on different bikes, commuting in Los Angeles area and multiple cross country trips

Goldwing GL1800A
Hard to compare an Adventure Bike to a top of the line touring bike, but here are a few observations. Since it is half the weight of the Goldwing, it feels like a dual sport by comparison. Goes wherever you point it. Weight to HP ratio makes the Explorer pretty quick. A lot more air compared to a fully faired touring bike, but still pretty good air management with the touring shield. Shield is easily adjusted manually in a matter of seconds (not on the fly). Obviously none of the amenities like radio, navigation, etc... If I was going on a ride with my wife, Goldwing gets the nod, but if I was headed out by myself, even if it was a long trip, I am going with the Explorer most of the time. Goldwing has torque and pulls in all gears...not so much for the Explorer, but still pretty darn good for 600 less CC's. Put 200K miles on 4 different Goldwings over 10 years (including a trip to Alaska), and just don't feel the need for bike that big, luxurious or heavy.

2007 FJR 1300ABS & 2009 Concours 1400ABS
FJR and C-14's are both great bikes, but difficult for a tall person with long legs. Added bar risers, taller windshield, custom seat and never could get totally comfortable. Both of these bikes make their power totally different from the Explorer. The power band up above 6,000 rpm on these bikes will really make you smile. Since I am still in the break-in period, I have no idea what the Explorer will do up in that range, but looking forward to finding out. The ergos for the Explorer are almost perfect for me, which is why I don't have the FJR and C-14 anymore. These Sport Tourers are perfect for younger, more flexible riders without long legs. I did like the electric windshields on these bikes, and the wind management with the right after-market screen was pretty good. The gas mileage for the Explorer (according to the computer) is about 43-45mpg, which is very comparable to the FJR, Concours and the Goldwing. (C-14 took premium gas, which was an extra expense that the Explorer does not require. Sold both of these bikes.

2009 DL-1000 and 2011 DL650A
The DL650A is my daily commuter, and my wife's weekend bike. The DL-1000 was my weekend/touring machine. I love both the DL650A, and the DL-1000. My decision to sell the 1000 is one that I continue to second guess for all of the reasons that are known by V-Strom riders. The 1000 has such strong engine, a relaxed seating position, and is so easy to maintain. The primary decision maker for me was the fact the DL-1000 does not have ABS. If they made it in ABS, I would own one. Although I have never been down because of non-ABS brakes, it just doesn't make sense not to have it these days. (in my opinion) I was able to get comfortable on either of the V-stroms with a taller seat and a madstad bracket. I added an XL Parabellum to the DL650A because my wife likes to keep the wind off, and she does not mine looking through a windshield. V-Stroms fit me almost off the showroom floor. I found almost the same is true of the Explorer.

So, my finalists to replace the DL-1000 were: BMW K1600GT, 2012 DL-650A, or the Explorer 1200.

Did not choose the DL-650A because it is too much like the 2011 that we have. Did not need 2 of the same bikes in the garage.

The K1600GT is a fabulous bike. Fit an finish is amazing, lots of bells and whistles, and that new engine is so strong. With that said, I have avoided BMW's for 30 years because of both the upfront capital investment and the ongoing maintenance expenses. Not bashing, just saying it has always felt like too much $$ for a bike that seems to need a lot more dealer attention. That is also one of the reasons I have never looked seriously at a Triumph, so that remains to be seen on this one. Maintenance intervals seem to be very reasonable on the Explorer 1200.

So, I went with the Tiger Explorer 1200 because the ergs are right, the engine is interesting and strong, the transmission is silky smooth, it has ABS, wide bars, and fits a tall guy, The seat is adjustable up, which I like, although I had to put it in the up position in the front and the low position in the back to counter act a natural slope that was scrunching my parts. I can take it to Alaska without a lot of more mods, and if I want to so some light off-road riding I can. I can use it as a commuter on the days that my wife wants to use the DL650A during the week, and I can load it up and go cross country.

I was able to do a short test ride by telling my dealer that I refused to spend this much money without riding it. When I turned around to walk out with my checkbook in hand, they reluctantly agreed. I would not have bought it without the test ride. Once they have their demo bikes in place, they will sell lots of these bikes. I was totally sold once I rode it. They sell themselves.

It has only been two days and 150 smiles, but so far I am loving it. Hope some of this is helpful

Rob

AtlantaDR screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 10:16 PM
AtlantaDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #2769
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,106
Quote:
Observations based on the other bikes I own, or have have owned, in the past few years. Note: My experience may not be anything like yours...just my experience.

My Stats; 6' 2", 35" inseam, 52 years old, 34 years of riding, 20-30K miles a year on different bikes, commuting in Los Angeles area and multiple cross country trips

Goldwing GL1800A
Hard to compare an Adventure Bike to a top of the line touring bike, but here are a few observations. Since it is half the weight of the Goldwing, it feels like a dual sport by comparison. Goes wherever you point it. Weight to HP ratio makes the Explorer pretty quick. A lot more air compared to a fully faired touring bike, but still pretty good air management with the touring shield. Shield is easily adjusted manually in a matter of seconds (not on the fly). Obviously none of the amenities like radio, navigation, etc... If I was going on a ride with my wife, Goldwing gets the nod, but if I was headed out by myself, even if it was a long trip, I am going with the Explorer most of the time. Goldwing has torque and pulls in all gears...not so much for the Explorer, but still pretty darn good for 600 less CC's. Put 200K miles on 4 different Goldwings over 10 years (including a trip to Alaska), and just don't feel the need for bike that big, luxurious or heavy.

2007 FJR 1300ABS & 2009 Concours 1400ABS
FJR and C-14's are both great bikes, but difficult for a tall person with long legs. Added bar risers, taller windshield, custom seat and never could get totally comfortable. Both of these bikes make their power totally different from the Explorer. The power band up above 6,000 rpm on these bikes will really make you smile. Since I am still in the break-in period, I have no idea what the Explorer will do up in that range, but looking forward to finding out. The ergos for the Explorer are almost perfect for me, which is why I don't have the FJR and C-14 anymore. These Sport Tourers are perfect for younger, more flexible riders without long legs. I did like the electric windshields on these bikes, and the wind management with the right after-market screen was pretty good. The gas mileage for the Explorer (according to the computer) is about 43-45mpg, which is very comparable to the FJR, Concours and the Goldwing. (C-14 took premium gas, which was an extra expense that the Explorer does not require. Sold both of these bikes.

2009 DL-1000 and 2011 DL650A
The DL650A is my daily commuter, and my wife's weekend bike. The DL-1000 was my weekend/touring machine. I love both the DL650A, and the DL-1000. My decision to sell the 1000 is one that I continue to second guess for all of the reasons that are known by V-Strom riders. The 1000 has such strong engine, a relaxed seating position, and is so easy to maintain. The primary decision maker for me was the fact the DL-1000 does not have ABS. If they made it in ABS, I would own one. Although I have never been down because of non-ABS brakes, it just doesn't make sense not to have it these days. (in my opinion) I was able to get comfortable on either of the V-stroms with a taller seat and a madstad bracket. I added an XL Parabellum to the DL650A because my wife likes to keep the wind off, and she does not mine looking through a windshield. V-Stroms fit me almost off the showroom floor. I found almost the same is true of the Explorer.

So, my finalists to replace the DL-1000 were: BMW K1600GT, 2012 DL-650A, or the Explorer 1200.

Did not choose the DL-650A because it is too much like the 2011 that we have. Did not need 2 of the same bikes in the garage.

The K1600GT is a fabulous bike. Fit an finish is amazing, lots of bells and whistles, and that new engine is so strong. With that said, I have avoided BMW's for 30 years because of both the upfront capital investment and the ongoing maintenance expenses. Not bashing, just saying it has always felt like too much $$ for a bike that seems to need a lot more dealer attention. That is also one of the reasons I have never looked seriously at a Triumph, so that remains to be seen on this one. Maintenance intervals seem to be very reasonable on the Explorer 1200.

So, I went with the Tiger Explorer 1200 because the ergs are right, the engine is interesting and strong, the transmission is silky smooth, it has ABS, wide bars, and fits a tall guy, The seat is adjustable up, which I like, although I had to put it in the up position in the front and the low position in the back to counter act a natural slope that was scrunching my parts. I can take it to Alaska without a lot of more mods, and if I want to so some light off-road riding I can. I can use it as a commuter on the days that my wife wants to use the DL650A during the week, and I can load it up and go cross country.

I was able to do a short test ride by telling my dealer that I refused to spend this much money without riding it. When I turned around to walk out with my checkbook in hand, they reluctantly agreed. I would not have bought it without the test ride. Once they have their demo bikes in place, they will sell lots of these bikes. I was totally sold once I rode it. They sell themselves.

Unlike the reports i am reading, it is possible to negotiate a good price on this bike.. I was in the fortunate position of having the cash to buy the bike and I went to two different dealers to get their best prices. I ended up buying from the dealer closest to me, and will spend my service dollars there too. I won't report here how much below MSRP i paid because I don't want to take any joy away from those who spent a lot more, but I would encourage you to not assume you have to pay MSRP plus other fees. That is just not the case if you are willing to shop it and negotiate. For those that don't like to, or don't want to, or feel like they need to support their dealer that way, that is cool, just saying it is possible.

It has only been two days and 150 smiles, but so far I am loving it. Hope some of this is helpful

Rob
Derned good post.

Here's hoping that Triumph will make two models like they did with the 800. I would like more range and could live with the rest.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #2770
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
How did it handle the slow speed work for several hours? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Was working with a 1200 rider at the weekend doing Triathlon motorcycle duty. Luggage has good capacity, BUT does make the bike WIDE.
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #2771
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
I took a half-hour test ride on an Explorer today. Best way I can describe it is "Camry-like". Nothing objectionable, well put together, and smooth and boring as tofu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROM-CRF450X-990SMT View Post
while incredibly impressive from an engineering perspective I felt it lacked character and left me a little cold. Itís a terrible thing to say, but I feel I have to as most machines in this class have incredibly charismatic motors. From BMWís unique boxer, to Hondaís new V-Four CrossTourer and KTMís off-road benchmark Adventure with its far-from-faultless but hugely addictive 990cc v-twin, machines in this character really do possess their own unique nature, yet the Triumph, I canít help feeling, is the most vanilla of the bunch.
Interesting you guys say that; I disagree completely. I find the Triumph triple thoroughly addictive, and the one in the Explorer is no exception. And as for comparisons with other bikes, I haven't ridden the CrossTourer (moot point, as it's not coming to the US anyway, last I heard) or the KTM, but I have ridden both the R1200GS and GSA, for extended rides, and I thought the Explorer was a better bike. I got off the BMWs and thought, "Yeah, nice bike, I can see why people buy them for long-haul touring." I got off the Tiger Explorer and thought, "This bike is awesome! When I finally make that Alaska trip happen I've got to budget for one of these!"

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #2772
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Interesting you guys say that; I disagree completely. I find the Triumph triple thoroughly addictive, and the one in the Explorer is no exception.

--mark
Thing is, I'm on my second Sprint ST 955, an '02 that replaced a high-mile '99. I loved the '99 and rode (and abused) the wheels off of it, love the more powerful '02 even more. So I'm used to the "turbine-like" power delivery of a Triumph triple, have had very few issues with the Sprints beyond just lots of use (well over 100k miles between the two bikes), and greatly appreciate the torque mesa.

But there's just something bland about the Explorer. It engenders no lust for me after a lengthy test ride. I simply no longer have a desire to own one.

Seriously, I went to the dealership with my checkbook, ready to ride the Explorer home complete with additional farkles. I had some lust, based mostly on reports from this thread and my prior satisfaction with my Sprints. Besides the graphite demo bike, they had a graphite launch model ready for sale and not spoken for, and that was my color of choice.

I figured the test ride would be a formality and I was doing the mental math in my head and wondering how long it would take to do the paperwork and if they had panniers and tank bags in stock as I threw my leg over the saddle. As I was pulling out of the dealership, I was already thinking about who to call for a ride back to the dealership to pick it up when I dropped my Tuono off at home, and where to ride the Explorer after delivery so as to burn up the first service miles before the weekend was over.

Half an hour later, all lust was gone, all thoughts of road trips banished. Don't get me wrong, as I said, it's a well-built, well-equipped machine, well-suited for the tasks and riders it was built for. Turns out I'm just not one of those riders.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #2773
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,967
Quote:
Seriously, I went to the dealership with my checkbook, ready to ride the Explorer home complete with additional farkles. I had some lust, based mostly on reports from this thread and my prior satisfaction with my Sprints. Besides the graphite demo bike, they had a graphite launch model ready for sale and not spoken for, and that was my color of choice.

I figured the test ride would be a formality and I was doing the mental math in my head and wondering how long it would take to do the paperwork and if they had panniers and tank bags in stock as I threw my leg over the saddle. As I was pulling out of the dealership, I was already thinking about who to call for a ride back to the dealership to pick it up when I dropped my Tuono off at home, and where to ride the Explorer after delivery so as to burn up the first service miles before the weekend was over.

Half an hour later, all lust was gone, all thoughts of road trips banished. Don't get me wrong, as I said, it's a well-built, well-equipped machine, well-suited for the tasks and riders it was built for. Turns out I'm just not one of those riders.
Excellent, well thought out and written posts guys.

Sheesh.....there's no bashing, no name calling, just well considered posts.

Oh wait.....I'm not in Orange Crush, now it makes sense.

Thanks to all for the insights. Very helpful.

-SM
Sock Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #2774
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
Quote:

Rob
Thanks Rob! Great writeup! As a DL1k owner, I'd like to hear more about how they compare once you get some miles on it. Like you, the (lack of) ABS has been an issue for me as well. It'll probably be awhile before I pull the trigger, but right now the Explorer is at the top of my list..

Also, very curious about the 2-up comfort. If anyone has feedback on that, it would be welcome.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #2775
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
And that concludes my brief consideration of an adventure-touring bike for this year. I'll try again when the Caponord 1200 hits the ground. :)
Quote:
It's that lack of exciting performance that really made the bike boring to me (and probably why I keep walking away from adventure-touring bikes).
Quote:
But there's just something bland about the Explorer. It engenders no lust for me after a lengthy test ride. I simply no longer have a desire to own one.

Fair enough -- from your posts, it's obvious that you're simply more suited to a sport-touring bike, and an ADV tourer is not your cup of tea.

The obvious question then is, why keep looking at ADV bikes? Or if you want something more upright than a sport-touring bike, perhaps a Ducati Multistrada 1200 or the upcoming Tiger Sport 1050 would fit your needs better?

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote