ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 12:58 AM   #271
DrunkWombat
GS and Proud
 
DrunkWombat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Newcastle, NSW STRAYA
Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
You mean Faults Wombat? Plural?

So far, my bikes performance, as NASA says, has been nominal.

I'll go and grab a few stones.

Um, well so has my GS. Whats your point?
__________________
Scenery: That blurry stuff on the side of the road.

DrunkWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:52 AM   #272
Jonny955
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Jonny955's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Horsham, Sussex
Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogslayer View Post
Maybe I'm getting to old but I like things simple,the more simple the better, so am I the odd ball ?

Cruise control could be nice but ride-by-wire ,ABS and traction control I could live without, do riders want all this stuff now to be able to ride?

For me its just extra weight and more stuff to fail and makes it harder to work on myself I really like the looks though just wished they kept it simple but I guess those days are gone.
I love the look of the Tiger Explorer and I'm looking forward to seeing the specification in detail....and of course drooling over the bike when it appears.

I do however feel the same way and the over-complexity does put me off. A bike like this is a significant investment for most of us and I tend to keep my bikes for many years so home maintenance is important - it needs to be do-able and fun, although I'm not too worried if it takes me a bit longer because that's all part of the ownership/bonding 'guy-thing'.

The two things that concern me about about these fly-by-wire throttles are;
1. In an exposed/harsh environment, will it remain reliable over many years?
2. Can I set up the idling and adjustment of the throttle bodies myself?
If it offers a genuine improvement in safety or usability I can understand why it is fitted to a premium bike but in the long run (say 10 years), I doubt it would be more dependable and reliable than a simple throttle cable with all the disadvantages that brings . Of course, with EFI and throttle cables we still have to deal with idler stepper motors and the like but FBW just brings in another layer of complexity that I don't believe I need.

But the bike in general gets my vote. I hope Triumph do well with this. In one fell swoop it makes the GS12 look dated (IMHO) and certainly will appeal to those of us who found the tractor engine uninspiring, even if the rest of the bike was brilliant.

Let's hope the range and fuel economy doesn't suck !

Jon
Jonny955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:12 AM   #273
Strada
Tally Ho!
 
Strada's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Essex, UK
Oddometer: 413
Hope the rims can take some fatter rubber than the 110/150 proposed
__________________
Farkle Bringer!

www.palmerproducts.co.uk
Strada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:25 AM   #274
Rick West
Function not Farkles
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Out West For Awhile
Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
My 800XC is about as smooth as anything I've ever ridden.
Mine too.

There are going to be some Yamaha S10 riders who will be very interested in to experience how smooth a 1200cc engine can be.
__________________
KTM 990 - The only real "dual" sport in the big Adventure bike class
Rick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:49 AM   #275
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
Mine too.

There are going to be some Yamaha S10 riders who will be very interested in to experience how smooth a 1200cc engine can be.
Yeah but they will probably break the thing in half in the first few miles doing what they are used to doing on an S10.

Oh yeah...

Rick Rick Rick..
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #276
lonerockz
Permanent n00b
 
lonerockz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN - No more... SF Bay now.
Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Yeah but they will probably break the thing in half in the first few miles doing what they are used to doing on an S10.

What they have big potholes in the parking lot at your Starbucks or something?

__________________
Steve
2008 Versys (The Current Adventure - 2013 IBR Bound) & 2012 Tiger Explorer (The Next Adventure - Alaska and Argentina bound)
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Rustic Roads Century Progress
lonerockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #277
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Good question! My 800XC is about as smooth as anything I've ever ridden.
Complaining about vibration on an 800XC is like complaining about the horsepower on a 911 Turbo.
motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #278
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: SW Florida
Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Yeah but they will probably break the thing in half in the first few miles doing what they are used to doing on an S10.

Oh yeah...

Rick Rick Rick..

PLEASE, let's not turn this into a bike bashing thread.... They're all very good bikes butt none of them are perfect, kinda like people.

Thank you!!

Regards, Paul
__________________
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen
Roadscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #279
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny955 View Post
I love the look of the Tiger Explorer and I'm looking forward to seeing the specification in detail....and of course drooling over the bike when it appears.

I do however feel the same way and the over-complexity does put me off. A bike like this is a significant investment for most of us and I tend to keep my bikes for many years so home maintenance is important - it needs to be do-able and fun, although I'm not too worried if it takes me a bit longer because that's all part of the ownership/bonding 'guy-thing'.

The two things that concern me about about these fly-by-wire throttles are;
1. In an exposed/harsh environment, will it remain reliable over many years?
2. Can I set up the idling and adjustment of the throttle bodies myself?
If it offers a genuine improvement in safety or usability I can understand why it is fitted to a premium bike but in the long run (say 10 years), I doubt it would be more dependable and reliable than a simple throttle cable with all the disadvantages that brings . Of course, with EFI and throttle cables we still have to deal with idler stepper motors and the like but FBW just brings in another layer of complexity that I don't believe I need.

But the bike in general gets my vote. I hope Triumph do well with this. In one fell swoop it makes the GS12 look dated (IMHO) and certainly will appeal to those of us who found the tractor engine uninspiring, even if the rest of the bike was brilliant.

Let's hope the range and fuel economy doesn't suck !

Jon
Fly by wire has been working in planes for a lotta years, not new technology. Just new to bikes. Being a Triumph I would think you'd be able to use TuneECU to adjust throttle bodies if necessary.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #280
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Fly by wire has been working in planes for a lotta years, not new technology. Just new to bikes. Being a Triumph I would think you'd be able to use TuneECU to adjust throttle bodies if necessary.
Not really new to bikes either. Yamaha, Aprilia ... and I think Ducati have employed "fly-by-wire" systems. Several Scooters use it too. I do know Yamaha has had problems with their system ... and perhaps Aprilia as well. I remember reading several reviews complaining about throttle "lag" and then sudden engagement. Kind of like a too lean F.I. map. I have no doubt it can be de-bugged ... but since this is a first for Triumph ... my guess is 1st year owners will be Triumph's unpaid Beta testers.
Sounds like Triumph may be learning a few tricks from BMW.

Have Triumph really had the time to fully vet and stress test this new bike over time? .... the way the Japanese do to nearly every new model they produce?

So many new electronics packages ... new drive system ... new motor ...new chassis.
BMW has screwed up the Oil heads for years ... and still have too many problems today. Lets hope Triumph won't fall into that "tech for tech's sake" abyss of our over confident German friends.

No ... I'm not afraid of new technology or breaking new ground. I just worry Triumph may not have the deep resources other companies have to resolve and make perfect these new systems in such a short time period.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #281
Cos
Re-Greekified
 
Cos's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Home
Oddometer: 10,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Yeah but they will probably break the thing in half in the first few miles doing what they are used to doing on an S10.
You mean lose concentration and crash due to smugness because all they can think about is how much superior they are to the idiots that bought a GS?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Appalachian mudsquid
Why do we always hurt the ones we hit?
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #282
CA Stu
Thanks
 
CA Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Oddometer: 46,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Good question! My 800XC is about as smooth as anything I've ever ridden.
I think he meant the BMW 800, which can be "buzzy" at speed.
__________________
http://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k
CA Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #283
blk-betty
bam-a-lam
 
blk-betty's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Fly by wire has been working in planes for a lotta years, not new technology. Just new to bikes. Being a Triumph I would think you'd be able to use TuneECU to adjust throttle bodies if necessary.
Harley has used this technology now for 3 years with no problems but since their bikes are outdated any data that could be gleaned from them regarding the safety and reliability of FBW is probably useless.
blk-betty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #284
CA Stu
Thanks
 
CA Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Oddometer: 46,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
No ... I'm not afraid of new technology or breaking new ground. I just worry Triumph may not have the deep resources other companies have to resolve and make perfect these new systems in such a short time period.
I will say, I have bought 2 "first model year" Triumphs and had good luck with both.

99 Sprint ST, first year for EFI, ran perfect. No surging, no lag, no nothing. Indistinguishable from a carbureted machine.

07 Tiger 1050, had a bit of an abrupt off-idle throttle response, but apart from that, an outstanding machine in all respects.

First year model Triumphs don't scare me at all.

Are they perfect? Probably not, but not many machines are...

Edit: remember the flap over EFI? Non-issue for the most part, I'm thinking the "fly-by-wire" system will be a similar event.
__________________
http://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k
CA Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #285
lonerockz
Permanent n00b
 
lonerockz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN - No more... SF Bay now.
Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Not really new to bikes either. Yamaha, Aprilia ... and I think Ducati have employed "fly-by-wire" systems. Several Scooters use it too. I do know Yamaha has had problems with their system ... and perhaps Aprilia as well. I remember reading several reviews complaining about throttle "lag" and then sudden engagement. Kind of like a too lean F.I. map. I have no doubt it can be de-bugged ... but since this is a first for Triumph ... my guess is 1st year owners will be Triumph's unpaid Beta testers.
Sounds like Triumph may be learning a few tricks from BMW.
It's not like Triumph will be developing their own Fly-By-Wire system, like all modern machines they are sourcing parts from some supplier. Probably a supplier that has been producing parts for other manufactures for years. Now they may be the first to take advantage of this system on a motorcycle to add cruise control, but I bet the company that is the source of the system has done it before.

Which brings up an interesting question as to why other bike marks with FBW systems don't have cruise? I mean it should be so simple to do!

Steve
__________________
Steve
2008 Versys (The Current Adventure - 2013 IBR Bound) & 2012 Tiger Explorer (The Next Adventure - Alaska and Argentina bound)
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Rustic Roads Century Progress
lonerockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014