View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #2896
motorcyclemark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Posted this on the tiger explorer site without much response, hope someone here has some pictures.

Anyone purchase the safari 9" from Jesse luggage? Have contacted them asking for pictures of them installed without any luck. They send me pictures of the odyssey II's. Really like the design of their bags but want the most narrow ones available.

I'm getting pretty frustrated running without any bags, gonna have to buy something soon.
motorcyclemark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #2897
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog View Post
Would you be happy with an Adventure bike with KIA like performance?

Welp, the Kia has a 1500cc engine with roughly 100hp and 100ftlbs of torque. It weighs around 2300lbs which is what, roughly 4-5 times the weight of the Explorer and it still manages mid 30s for fuel mile even with me flat footing it everywhere{my dad borrowed it and averaged upper 30s/low 40s} and it does so with decade old engine technology built to a low price point. Take that same engine, unsaddle of the much more stringent emission regs that cars have to meet, leave off 1800lbs and I'm betting that fuel average would be better than the mid 40s and it would still be plenty quick, prolly quicker and a better for the job intended considering the extra torque. So to answer yer question,,,,,,,,yea, I would be more than happy with an adventure touring bike that posted those numbers. I said I wanted more range and either a larger tank or better fuel economy would do with the latter being preferable. That so terrible?

Sounds like a KLR might be the perfect choice!
Mehhh,,,,,,,,,,, to me, a KLR is a perfectly good choice for one up adv. riding but umm,,,,,, I'm looking for a two-up bike to take the place of my FJR. That's exactly why I was perusing this thread as I'm juggling the Tenere, the Explorer and the new Stelvio NTX. And yea, I mean what I said, I wish the Yammy had cruise, or the Explorer had a better range, or the Stelvio was not such an odd duck {although I'm really thinking hard on it despite the lack of dealer base}.

So,,, sounds like to me that you're a bit off on your own observation of what would be my perfect choice. But hey,,, cool beens and all that jazz sport.

And yea,,,,, just to be clear, I wasn't slamming the Explorer. I was simply making conversation on an observation. If I inadvertently raised the fan boy hackles of anyone, didn't mean to. You have a cool bike, don't sweat the small stuff.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #2898
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Some guy failed to realized that he had relinquished his ___ ____ and succumbed to the selfish wishes of his S/O.
Poor bastard.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #2899
charliebrown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
I've got all the bit and pieces to mount them but can't get the engine guards. Waited over a month after I got the bike, got ready to mount them and they shipped two left sides. Can't get an answer out of Triumph as to when they will make it right. Really pissed

But it is doable, I had them on my F800GS and tiger800. Involves Rivco pegs and some homemade extensions. If I ever get the guards on I will post pictures. In the meantime this is what it looks like http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/....html#msg36320

They look huge in the picture but in person they blend right in.
Jim, thanks. I'm going to bookmark that page for future reference. Looks really good and just what I'm looking for.
charliebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #2900
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Poor bastard.

--mark
+1

I wonder if there were any witnesses to the exact moment when his spine snapped.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:03 AM   #2901
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Same here, Ma Yamaha needs to add cruise or Triumph needs to add a 2nd more "adventurous" model with a larger tank and possibly wire wheels. Can live without the wire wheels but I'd really like at least a 250 range and would prefer around 300. Don't care how I get that range, either a big tank or great fuel mileage but I will say that better fuel economy with a medium capacity tank is what I would prefer. I will also say that mileage in the 40s is terrible for this size engine and this much weight. Hell, my Kia nearly gets that dammit!

Keel back the power and spend some more R&D on fuel economy and that tank on the Explorer would be plenty.
I just read a review of this in Motorcycle Consumer News:
http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/motorcyc...-1200-ntx.html

While I am a Triumph man at heart, this bike has some features that should have been on the Explorer. The big problem, of course, is that it doesn't have a triple engine, and there is that hot left knee for taller riders. In a few other areas, though, it sounds like it has some of things folks wished to see on the Explorer (sealed spoke wheels and a large tank for real range). It is pretty heavy too, but the review says the weight isn't obvious when you are on it.
Just one more bike to chase the big adventure/touring dollar.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #2902
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Some guy failed to realized that he had relinquished his ___ ____ and succumbed to the selfish wishes of his S/O.
Ouch. How much of a hit did he take on the depreciation on that one? Whaddya asking for it?

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #2903
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
I just read a review of this in Motorcycle Consumer News:
http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/motorcyc...-1200-ntx.html

While I am a Triumph man at heart, this bike has some features that should have been on the Explorer. The big problem, of course, is that it doesn't have a triple engine, and there is that hot left knee for taller riders. In a few other areas, though, it sounds like it has some of things folks wished to see on the Explorer (sealed spoke wheels and a large tank for real range). It is pretty heavy too, but the review says the weight isn't obvious when you are on it.
Just one more bike to chase the big adventure/touring dollar.
Yea, it's gotta alot of good things going for it as does the Explorer and the Tenere. Just wish I could pick and choose the "good" things I like from each bike and combine them into what to me would be my perfect two-up adv bike. But nope can't quite do dat eh???
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #2904
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
He stood up, put his foot down and reclaimed his individual rights... re-took possession of his ___ ____ and the bike.

I just love happy endings.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #2905
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
God the guzzi is sweet if only it had the cruise control that was the big seller for me and I think the triumph dealer network is better then guzzi. I know yamahas network is way bigger then both but UJM just doesnt do it for me anymore. didnt even look at the tenere although im sure its a great machine and dead reliable hoping my triumph turns out to be just as reliable.

NewYorkLuke screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 05:59 AM
NewYorkLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #2906
XFBO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Hello All!

I just bought my Explorer this past Saturday, so far I'm loving the new ride.
I'm new to the ADV scene and Triumphs, in general, so if someone could be kind enough to steer me in the right direction for online purchases of aftermarket accessories for this specific model, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also curious if there has been any comparisons between pannier makes/models. I'd like to buy a set of those aluminum grade boxes but don't know much about the pro's and con's of the products available out there.

Thanks again!
XFBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #2907
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFBO View Post
Hello All!

I just bought my Explorer this past Saturday, so far I'm loving the new ride.
I'm new to the ADV scene and Triumphs, in general, so if someone could be kind enough to steer me in the right direction for online purchases of aftermarket accessories for this specific model, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also curious if there has been any comparisons between pannier makes/models. I'd like to buy a set of those aluminum grade boxes but don't know much about the pro's and con's of the products available out there.

Thanks again!

There are a few mfg already making stuff for the Tiger Explorer, SW Motech, Touratech and quite a few of the pannier manufacturers have stuff ready to mount up. I might also suggest stepping over to http://www.tiger-explorer.com/ and read up on a more specific bike forum as there are quite a few posts pertinent to this bike.

K.B.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:09 AM   #2908
XFBO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
There are a few mfg already making stuff for the Tiger Explorer, SW Motech, Touratech and quite a few of the pannier manufacturers have stuff ready to mount up. I might also suggest stepping over to http://www.tiger-explorer.com/ and read up on a more specific bike forum as there are quite a few posts pertinent to this bike.

K.B.
Thanks KB!
Actually, I joined that site first but haven't spent any time there yet since this site came highly recommended.
XFBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #2909
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFBO View Post
Thanks KB!
Actually, I joined that site first but haven't spent any time there yet since this site came highly recommended.

The Explorer was released about a month early here in the US. Not much stuff available yet but shouldn't be too much longer!
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #2910
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
I sat on one. I think if I. Lowered it enough to get my big toes on the ground the skid plate would get there first. Shame, nice bike other wise.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote