View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #2971
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
I didnt manage to keep it clean I just rinse it after the best I can. Same thing with the rim when I do the final drive. I generally clean that with soap and water because I dont like the idea of the gear oil on my tire. The exhuast stunk on the way to work today so I obviously didnt get all the oil off it haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by element6 View Post
Did mine a few weeks ago, Luke, but honestly don't remember what the light did. Either it didn't come on, or it wasn't on long enough to make me nervous.
Do you have the alloy belly pan? How did you keep it clean when you removed the filter?

I'm thinking I'll try the sidestand next time to see if the drips pass the edge of the belly pan.

Dave
NewYorkLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:07 AM   #2972
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Side stand

How strong are these side stands. I have seen people stand on the foot peg to hoist themselves over the bike while its on the side stand. That would make getting on and off easier when im loaded down but dont know if I trust the sidestand to hold all that weight.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #2973
becsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I have used the side stand to get on and off on my last 3 bikes with no problems. I only have to use it on the scram when I am loaded up but used it all the time on the DR650 & V-Storm.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-20-2012, 05:36 AM   #2974
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah thats when I need it to get on and off when I have the top box on and stuff strapped to the side boxes. I guess we'll see what happens haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by becsta View Post
I have used the side stand to get on and off on my last 3 bikes with no problems. I only have to use it on the scram when I am loaded up but used it all the time on the DR650 & V-Storm.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #2975
element6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Not that it's gospel or will make any difference to anyone if something breaks, but when I asked, the dealer said it should be fine to step on the footpeg with the sidestand down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkLuke View Post
Yeah thats when I need it to get on and off when I have the top box on and stuff strapped to the side boxes. I guess we'll see what happens haha
element6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #2976
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
The pegs are designed to take it. When riding through the rough stuff you usually stand on the pegs for balance, stability, and to take the jolts with your legs instead of your butt & your back. I've only ever broken one peg over the years & that was back in the 70's on a TS185 when I came down off way too high of a jump. Don't ask...
Old 07-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #2977
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post
The pegs are designed to take it. When riding through the rough stuff you usually stand on the pegs for balance, stability, and to take the jolts with your legs instead of your butt & your back. I've only ever broken one peg over the years & that was back in the 70's on a TS185 when I came down off way too high of a jump. Don't ask...
Don't think they were concerned with the pegs, but the side stand. And I'll just second the opinion of the side stand was designed for it. It's the ONLY way to mount a loaded dual sport, without straining something. Besides, you look cool and in control when you do it.

My wife loves it now that I've shown her how to get on that way on her Street Triple. When she has her Ventura bag on the bike she can't throw her leg over and was always looking awkward getting her leg hung up on the seat. I was going to say "my wife like to mount that way too.." but thought I better change it.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #2978
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkLuke View Post
Anybody here to an oil change yet ? That first couple seconds after the change when you start the bike and the low oil pressure light comes on is a little nerve racking, someone tell me they are getting the same thing.
i dont know if this works on the triumph but on my bikes that crank with the kill switch off,i crank till the oil pressure light goes off,then turn the kill switch on(only after an oil and or filter change)
Old 07-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #2979
mfgc2310
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Tiger vs BMW

I road with a guy for a few days this summer and he had a Tiger 800XC - I was very impressed with the look and performance of the bike - I did not get to drive it though but I could tell it was very smooth and calm on all types of roads.

Only thing is the guy kept saying "I could have bought a BMW", "My bike is probably as good as a BMW" "I am sure I am not missing out anything from not having bought a BMW"

If I was going to buy the 1200 Tiger I would probably go back to the BMW instead. (another shaft drive bike but you get that awesome front suspension too) I had the 1150GS for a couple of years and that bike was incredible but too big and heavy for any type of off road riding (for me) The new BMW 1200 is much lighter.

I am really tempted by that Tiger 800 if I was to stay with a more dirt oriented chain drive bike.

I love my KLR for local riding but it is too small a bike for touring.

Anybody have experience on the Tiger 800XC, 1200 and BMW and in your opinion what makes the difference between the bikes.
mfgc2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #2980
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoWERX View Post
Looks great!
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #2981
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgc2310 View Post
I road with a guy for a few days this summer and he had a Tiger 800XC - I was very impressed with the look and performance of the bike - I did not get to drive it though but I could tell it was very smooth and calm on all types of roads.

Only thing is the guy kept saying "I could have bought a BMW", "My bike is probably as good as a BMW" "I am sure I am not missing out anything from not having bought a BMW"

If I was going to buy the 1200 Tiger I would probably go back to the BMW instead. (another shaft drive bike but you get that awesome front suspension too) I had the 1150GS for a couple of years and that bike was incredible but too big and heavy for any type of off road riding (for me) The new BMW 1200 is much lighter.

I am really tempted by that Tiger 800 if I was to stay with a more dirt oriented chain drive bike.

Anybody have experience on the Tiger 800XC, 1200 and BMW and in your opinion what makes the difference between the bikes.
I can tell you from my experience that the Tiger XC has a far better motor than the 800GS. I have only ridden the XC off road but from all of the reviews I have read about comparing the two offload in stock form they are neck and neck.
Not that this has anything to do with your response but I also rode the S10 and that bike can't get out of its own way. The balance was god though.
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #2982
DLFLHT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
I had a 2009 GS1200. I've had my Explorer a week and 500 miles now. For me, the Explorer is every thing you want in a BMW, but with a real motor and none of the goofiness. I bought the Explorer because I wanted to go down to one bike and for me, this was the only real option. I sold an Ultra Classic Limited, a Ninja 1000 and a 990 Adventure (not able to go far off road now) and replaced them with the Explorer. If this thing turns out to be mechanically reliable, then I have no doubt I will be happy with my choice.

What I don't miss about the BMW - goofy switches, constant oil consumption monitoring, rocking when you crack the throttle, lawnmower sound and no real power. Stock for stock, I find the Explorer more comfortable on gravel than the KTM 990 - must be the skinny tire on the KTM.

When they were doing the pre-order on the first round of Super Tenere's, I offered my dealer $12,600 plus license and title. I knew people were getting them around the country for as low as $12,400 at the time. He wouldn't take my money - today, I am so glad he didn't take my money!

DLFLHT screwed with this post 07-24-2012 at 08:50 PM
DLFLHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #2983
Bryn
Leicester England

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFLHT View Post
I had a 2009 GS1200. I've had my Explorer a week and 500 miles now. For me, the Explorer is every thing you want in a BMW, but with a real motor and none of the goofiness. I bought the Explorer because I wanted to go down to one bike and for me, this was the only real option. I sold an Ultra Classic Limited, a Ninja 1000 and a 990 Adventure (not able to go far off road now) and replaced them with the Explorer. If this thing turns out to be mechanically reliable, then I have no doubt I will be happy with my choice.

What I don't miss about the BMW - goofy switches, constant oil consumption monitoring, rocking when you crack the throttle, lawnmower sound and no real power. Stock for stock, I find the Explorer more comfortable on gravel than the KTM 990 - must be the skinny tire on the KTM.
Well put...

I've had a number of BMW GS's... the last nearly new one was an '09 SE.

A great bike... but I always wondered what the GS would be like with a K1200 S engine slotted in .....

And that is what the Explorer is to me
Old 07-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #2984
IRS Media
IRS Media

Oddometer: 19
Happy with the Explorer UBM

Well, I've had my Explorer 1200 for about two months and 2500 miles and I'm pretty darn pleased. I knew I was getting a street-oriented bike - and that's what I wanted. A UBM . It's the bike the V-Strom could have grown up into if Suzuki did not do a freak out a few years ago with development and production.

Anyway, I use the left peg like a sturip every day to mount as I have a pack on the rack. I doubt there will be a problem. I got used to the throttle after 50 miles, but I hate the location of the SET and RES buttons for the cruise control. Since I have a daily commute of about 90-miles at highway speeds she's getting 50MPG at speed, and about 45MPG all-around.

My dealer (Art at Doug Douglas in San Bernidino CA) is great. But we are mutually dismayed by parts/accessory supply from TUSA - but we know they are working to keep up with a demand surge - a happy problem. I work at a motorcycle accessory company and we're hot on making stuff for the bike to add to our range of other adventure offerings so I'm going to be fine soon - she'll be farkelized.

I have other off road and Dual Sport bikes including a KTM 400 EXC, several DRz400's and a Super Enduro and if I needed to take her off road she'd do a better job than a V-Strom or a Multistrada - but I'm happy with my commuter/sport-tourer UBM STREET BIKE.
IRS Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #2985
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgc2310 View Post

Never owned a BMW F800GS but have put a lot of miles on them, through the Alps, Costa Rica. And while my wife and I both enjoyed our rides on them, I would never buy one. The motor is buzzy and under whelming and we have never had a problem on our trips reliability wise but the F800s are plagued with numerous problems. I've owned my Tiger 800XC for a couple months now and there's no comparison to the F800. The Tiger is a way better road bike and personally there's no where that I ride that the F800 would make a better dirt bike.

I also owned an R1200RT for a few years and 34,000kms, but I'd never own another boxer. The RT was a good touring bike and the GS is a good all round bike as well, but other bikes have moved into the space and are simply better bikes than the boxers now. As for that "awesome front suspension" on the BMWs, you can have it. Back when I rode the RT I never had any complaints, but that was my first "sporty" bike, coming from cruisers. I have since owned several more sporting bikes and can now understand what experienced riders say about the telelever front end being dead, or not communicating what the front end is doing to the rider. I would never ride another telelever'd bike.

I bought the Tiger 800XC to sort of combine my Honda CBF and Suzuki DR but if I was just going to replace the CBF, I would have bought the Explorer for sure.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote