Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #301
Daytonacharlie
2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Menace View Post
Wow what diverging opinions here....you have some that think this might be the next best thing to sliced bread and others that are bashing it already. I've never understood how you can bash on something that you have never even seen in person. There isn't even a ride report out yet. My guess is it will be a very good machine with some issues like all other machines on planet earth. My personal experience with Triumph having owned a new Speed Triple back in 06 was that it was a very good machine. Zero issues with it in the two years I had it anyway. I am looking forward to seeing it in person.

+1
One third of a gopher would only arouse my appetite without bedding it down.
Daytonacharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #302
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Oddometer: 663
Someone asked for comparisons between the Triumph 800s and the 1200.

Here you go. These are less exact than the others, especially the 800XC because I used the front wheel as the common element and the XC has a 21" front.

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Rustic Roads Century Progress
lonerockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #303
4bikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
If the seat hight on this isn't aimed at 6'5" Germans, I'll be looking very seriously at one.
If the seat hight IS made for 6'5", not for 5'6" shorties, I'll be looking very seriously at one. There are far to many bikes (and all sorts of other equipment) made for small people. I want this one BIG!.
4bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:59 AM   #304
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
If the seat hight on this isn't aimed at 6'5" Germans, I'll be looking very seriously at one.
I think the Tiger Explorer is just aimed at the mass's
with lots of accessories no doubt
The 'usual suspects' will still buy BM-GSA
And probably Super-Ten's will become very cheap...
...another ol TDM like story
Old 10-27-2011, 03:19 AM   #305
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Sorry don't want to sound like I'm beating the proverbial dead horse, but Harleys have had fly-by-wire AND cruise control on the toruing bikes ever since the 09-models debuted in August 2008.

This is not new technology.

As to why a mfg know for old style classic bikes began utilizing it before the high tech performace oriented mfgs is anyones guess.
The Hardleys are still miles behind BMW who have had Cruise and ABS miles before this date !
Old 10-27-2011, 03:51 AM   #306
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
Someone asked for comparisons between the Triumph 800s and the 1200.

Here you go. These are less exact than the others, especially the 800XC because I used the front wheel as the common element and the XC has a 21" front.
Thanks ! The comparison with the roadie is what I was looking for as a reference.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:54 AM   #307
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG. View Post
And probably Super-Ten's will become very cheap..
Excellent

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:15 AM   #308
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,921
Graham,
Yup,I expect some great sales in a few years
in this ever crowding market segment
Old 10-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #309
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bikes View Post
If the seat hight IS made for 6'5", not for 5'6" shorties, I'll be looking very seriously at one. There are far to many bikes (and all sorts of other equipment) made for small people. I want this one BIG!.
Dude seriously? Name one big adventure bike that has less than a 30" seat height. The R1200GS gets to 31" only if you pay for a lowered bike with low seat. Want a tall bike? Get the R1200GSA at 35"! Or a KTM 990R at 35.6". S10 is at 33.25", F800GS 33.5", F650GS 32.3" but with low suspension & low seat 30.1". The T800XC 33.2", T800 31.9".

The only adventure bike with less than a 30" seat height is the G650GS at 29.5" (with the lowered suspension). And its hardly in the class with the T1200, GS/GSA, S10.

Thankfully based on the mock ups I did I'm thinking it will be right around 33". Meaning it will be only 4" taller than my inseam and I'll only drop the bike 2 or 3 times a year.
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Old 10-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #310
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
The Hardleys are still miles behind BMW who have had Cruise and ABS miles before this date !

I won't argue that point.

My reply was in response to several asking why other mfgs didn't use FBW and cruise as if it was ome sort of brand new technology and I was pointing out that HD, a company not know for innovation, has been using this tech for many years. As for cruise control, it's been available for at least the last decade.
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #311
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,351
Quote:
Dude seriously? Name one big adventure bike that has less than a 30" seat height. The R1200GS gets to 31" only if you pay for a lowered bike with low seat. Want a tall bike? Get the R1200GSA at 35"! Or a KTM 990R at 35.6". S10 is at 33.25", F800GS 33.5", F650GS 32.3" but with low suspension & low seat 30.1". The T800XC 33.2", T800 31.9".

The only adventure bike with less than a 30" seat height is the G650GS at 29.5" (with the lowered suspension). And its hardly in the class with the T1200, GS/GSA, S10.

Thankfully based on the mock ups I did I'm thinking it will be right around 33". Meaning it will be only 4" taller than my inseam and I'll only drop the bike 2 or 3 times a year.
For tall guys, it's not so much seat height but seat to peg distance, and having half fairings poking your knees etc. Check out cycle-ergo.com and compare a few bikes. Sometimes it's the odd bikes that you wouldn't think of that fit tall guys, Buell Ulysses was a great bike for taller riders.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #312
4bikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:

Yes, I'm serious. Dross has explained the needs for us well grown people very well. With 36" inseam reaching grown is not a problem. I had my 950 KTM raised by 3" at the seat to get room for my legs...
4bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #313
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Remember Triumph have built in an adjustable seat on the T800's. HI and LOW position. The rubber peg inserts can also be removed to give another 3/4" of leg room.

I'd bet the Explorer offers this same adjustability. I'm only 5'7" and get along fine on the Tiger 800 even on HI setting.

The Vstrom is also a pretty low seat height.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #314
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bikes View Post
Yes, I'm serious. Dross has explained the needs for us well grown people very well. With 36" inseam reaching grown is not a problem. I had my 950 KTM raised by 3" at the seat to get room for my legs...
I realize there are many challenges for everyone (tall or short) when it comes to finding a good bike fit. I never for once said bikes were an easy fit for you.

What I disagreed with was the statement "There are far to many bikes [...] made for small people." When it comes to the ADV category this is NOT true. If it was you would have told me the name of a bike that was an ADV bike that had a low seat height (less than 30"). Now if this was a Harley forum you might have a point.

Course your definition of "small people" is probably different than mine. I would say small is 5' 8" or less, you probably mean less than your height. Lets face it at 6' 5" one is well into the 99 percentile. Heck 6' 3" is 95th. So no manufacturer tailors bikes for folks that big. Since 5' 10" is at the 50th percentile I bet most bikes are made for folks at that height. However in the ADV category the bikes are by and large better for the longer of leg.

You might bitch that some piece of plastic is poking you, but its not dangerous. Dangerous is me on a GSA with full fuel at a stop light. So sorry if I fail to feel much sympathy.

lonerockz screwed with this post 10-27-2011 at 11:23 AM
Old 10-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #315
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Remember Triumph have built in an adjustable seat on the T800's. HI and LOW position. The rubber peg inserts can also be removed to give another 3/4" of leg room.

I'd bet the Explorer offers this same adjustability. I'm only 5'7" and get along fine on the Tiger 800 even on HI setting.

The Vstrom is also a pretty low seat height.
I assume you are talking the standard 800, not the 800XC? I would be very happy with a bike of that height. I'm 5' 8" but have short legs and a long body, 28" inseam.

I am sure the seat will be adjustable, and looking at my mockups it looks to be about equal with the 800XC, not the 800. So its short is the 800's tall (~33").