Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #3151
Bryn
Leicester England

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
How's the T12 holding up Bryn? There seems to be much pissing and bitching on the other forum?
It's doing well.... It came with a 2 year warranty so I'm not that worried... problem as always with forums is that stuff gets 'concentrated' and all of a sudden the bike is a liability

I've had the rear rack replaced as the finish was showing signs of wear, and a new seat bar.....

Other than that it still does what I want it to do, and in 3500 miles hasn't used a drop of oil.

I'm still pleased with it, and for me that's pretty good going as I've had it over 4 months now
Old 08-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #3152
Iball
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
It's doing well.... It came with a 2 year warranty so I'm not that worried... problem as always with forums is that stuff gets 'concentrated' and all of a sudden the bike is a liability

I've had the rear rack replaced as the finish was showing signs of wear, and a new seat bar.....

Other than that it still does what I want it to do, and in 3500 miles hasn't used a drop of oil.

I'm still pleased with it, and for me that's pretty good going as I've had it over 4 months now
I pick mine up on Monday. How did you do your break-in?
Iball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #3153
Bryn
Leicester England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iball View Post
I pick mine up on Monday. How did you do your break-in?
Did it to the book... have a word with the dealer, they'll explain it ......and there's a sticker on the tank explaining it as well

The owners handbook just says 'avoid high engine speeds and full throttle'

The sticker gives RPM max limits compared to mileage . Once you get to the first service at 600 miles consider it run in
Old 08-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #3154
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
Loud pipes

Whoever says "loud pipes save lives" doesn't understand the doppler effect
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #3155
Echo3Niner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
So I went in and sat on a GS today, cause I don't have a Triumph dealer within 1.5 hours and I was getting some work on my truck done and it's next to a BMW dealer.

How close would you all say the TEX feels (ergos) compared to the GS?

I was surprised, the GS looked HUGE, especially up top (remember I'm a "crotch rocket" rider), and I thought I'd never hit the ground with my feet; but, it didn't feel too bad (top heavy) and it's about the same footing as my D675 (it did have the "low" seat).

Just looking at the GS, I told the wife I thought I was going to have to rule out the TEX, cause it just looked unwieldy for me. But, it turned out to not be bad, hence the reason I'm asking if the TEX feels about the same as the GS (ergo wise)?
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #3156
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Had quite a few GS's from a PD up to a 1200 SE with all the bells and whistles.... now got an Explorer... do I need the big capacity? Yes I think I do for what I do with a bike....

If I was always riding alone on the bike an 800 GS or a Tiger 800 would be fine, but loading up with enough luggage for two , and my other half , and spend 10 days in France on an 800 would not be as comfortable as on a 1200....just the extra 'legs' and size ... along with a shaft drive makes the difference...

We're off on that trip next Friday
Totally agree. 1-up the 800 does everything I want it to do on pretty much any roads I ride on. I would not want to do a lot of 2-up on it though (but then..I like beer...a lot...so I'm a YFB )
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #3157
Bryn
Leicester England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Totally agree. 1-up the 800 does everything I want it to do on pretty much any roads I ride on. I would not want to do a lot of 2-up on it though (but then..I like beer...a lot...so I'm a YFB )
Tried getting her a bike of her own.... she prefers sitting on the back... so it's got to be a 1200 (ish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo3Niner View Post
So I went in and sat on a GS today, cause I don't have a Triumph dealer within 1.5 hours and I was getting some work on my truck done and it's next to a BMW dealer.

How close would you all say the TEX feels (ergos) compared to the GS?

I was surprised, the GS looked HUGE, especially up top (remember I'm a "crotch rocket" rider), and I thought I'd never hit the ground with my feet; but, it didn't feel too bad (top heavy) and it's about the same footing as my D675 (it did have the "low" seat).

Just looking at the GS, I told the wife I thought I was going to have to rule out the TEX, cause it just looked unwieldy for me. But, it turned out to not be bad, hence the reason I'm asking if the TEX feels about the same as the GS (ergo wise)?

This was posted on here a while back... quite interesting! Will answer most of your questions.... One other thing I've noticed, the Explorer is not as tall as the GS in the seating department.... I'm a 30" inseam and can happily have the seat on high

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Bryn screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 12:18 AM
Bryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:56 AM   #3158
Iball
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Tried getting her a bike of her own.... she prefers sitting on the back... so it's got to be a 1200 (ish)

This was posted on here a while back... quite interesting! Will answer most of your questions.... One other thing I've noticed, the Explorer is not as tall as the GS in the seating department.... I'm a 30" inseam and can happily have the seat on high

http://cycle-ergo.com/
I have the same exact same midget-quality inseam of 30" and also found it was no problem to handle the Explorer.
When I tried the GS it felt too unwieldy to me. I think it was my mind playing tricks on me with the opposing horizontal cylinders sticking out. Plus the BMW sales guy was kind of being a douchebag about my wanting the 1200 GS at the time - which is sad considering I bought my F650 GS from him.
So tomorrow the local Triumph sales guy will get cash for my new Explorer 1200.
Ugh...fly out of Kuwait tonight, land tomorrow around lunch, go to the bank then go to the dealer. Better sleep on the plane...it's business class so it should be easy.
Iball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #3159
Bryn
Leicester England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iball View Post
Ugh...fly out of Kuwait tonight, land tomorrow around lunch, go to the bank then go to the dealer. Better sleep on the plane...it's business class so it should be easy.
Bet you don't sleep with all the excitement
Old 08-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #3160
TigerTrek
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Sad Update. Electronic Ignition Lock Failure

After only 227 miles of riding my TEX immobilized itself due to an electronic failure.

After two weeks my dealer finally figured out what was wrong, two more weeks to get parts (key receiver) and new lock set, two and a half days in install.

Total down time 4 1/2 week prime riding time.

And no, I didn't have both keys on the same ring.

If this happens to you, skip the two weeks to figure out was wrong and just suggest this issue as a potential culprit.
TigerTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #3161
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTrek View Post
After only 227 miles of riding my TEX immobilized itself due to an electronic failure.

After two weeks my dealer finally figured out what was wrong, two more weeks to get parts (key receiver) and new lock set, two and a half days in install.

Total down time 4 1/2 week prime riding time.

And no, I didn't have both keys on the same ring.

If this happens to you, skip the two weeks to figure out was wrong and just suggest this issue as a potential culprit.
I have to say between this thread and the 800 thread I'm getting a little gun shy of Triumph and their immobilizer problems. I really like the Explorer but it seems like there are quite a few of these problems. I have narrowed my choices down between the Explorer and the Moto-Guzzi Stelvio.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #3162
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,090
Yeah I've already concluded that I won't be getting a TEX or T800XC anytime soon. Not until we know they've figured out this problem. Makes me really glad I got turned down for financing on one last week.

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #3163
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,028
Any word on an Explorer XC yet?

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #3164
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Yeah I've already concluded that I won't be getting a TEX or T800XC anytime soon. Not until we know they've figured out this problem. Makes me really glad I got turned down for financing on one last week.
Probably for the best. IMHO, financing a toy isn't a great financial decision. YMMV.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #3165
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Probably for the best. IMHO, financing a toy isn't a great financial decision. YMMV.
I can agree to a certain extent. Ive always paid cash for everything but my house. But this isnt a $5K dirt bike, 4 wheeler, wheels for your truck, new bigger tv, etc.

Most people do not have $17000 laying around to be able to pay cash for it. (but apparently everyone is loaded on this forum as well. Taking trips around the world, trips that are weeks and weeks at a time off work, quitting their jobs to just travel around the us/the world, etc). Ive been busting my ass to be able to save up a decent enough down payment so that my monthly payments will still be relatively low.

Sure,I could keep saving and scrimping. And Im definitely not frivolous with my money. But I might get hit by a truck on the way down for groceries. Im financially stable enough to afford a payment. So Im gonna try and live my life without may regrets.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote