Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #3196
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iball View Post
Right. Now show me the one they would pick if they had to ride cross-country on the slab in order to get somewhere in a hurry.
Hmmm. That would be Southwest. Or Virgin. Or my car. Certainly not a bike. I have a bike for fun not for torturing myself on slab.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #3197
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
So, what's the result? I couldn't watch the video?

Facebook
Same result as every other road-focused mag: Ducati.

Triumph was dodgy off road, Super Tenere didn't do anything "wrong" but was dismissed, and the Stelvio was a "surprise".

They could have copied any one of a dozen other reviews and saved some fuel....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:57 AM   #3198
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
It was a road-oriented test, but half the video was about dirt performance?

The Ducati will always win a street test - hell, it's essentially a mildly de-tuned, upright superbike with ultra-trick Ohlins suspenders.

The Tiger surpasses the Tenere on road due to the engine, or was it the engine? Maybe they liked the engine better. I thought I heard them mention the engine, or maybe it was the engine...

The Tenere was the best balance for on or off-road. Of course this was an on-road comparo - or so they said at the beginning. Either way they thought it was well-balanced; or maybe it balanced well; or maybe it would balance itself? I got confused.

They were surprised that the Stelvio wasn't more agricultural. They were surprised by the plush suspension. They were surprised at how well it performed on-road. They were surprised at how well it handled off-road. Must be a nervous bunch as they seemed easily surprised.

Any of these bikes are light years ahead of what was available even five years ago in the class - pick the one you like best (and wallet can handle), and ride the balls off of it...
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.

creggur screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 12:39 PM
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #3199
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by creggur View Post

Any of these bikes are light years ahead of what was available even five years ago in the class - pick the one you like best (and wallet can handle), and ride the balls off of it...
+1
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:01 AM   #3200
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Great summary

Sock Monkey and Creggur summed up the toilet paper industry quite well. I no longer have the drug induced mental sloth to pick up one of their ass wipes nor will I ever read and certainly will never, ever buy another motorcycle rag as the industry seems to be populated with clowns that have more in common with the average politician than any rider I know.

As for the bikes mentioned, I could be happy with any of them on any day.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #3201
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by creggur View Post
It was a road-oriented test, but half the video was about dirt performance?

The Ducati will always win a street test - hell, it's essentially a mildly de-tuned, upright superbike with ultra-trick Ohlins suspenders.

The Tiger surpasses the Tenere on road due to the engine, or was it the engine? Maybe they liked the engine better. I thought I heard them mention the engine, or maybe it was the engine...

The Tenere was the best balance for on or off-road. Of course this was an on-road comparo - or so they said at the beginning. Either way they thought it was well-balanced; or maybe it balanced well; or maybe it would balance itself? I got confused.

They were surprised that the Stelvio wasn't more agricultural. They were surprised by the plush suspension. The were surprised at how well it performed on-road. They were surprised at how well it handled off-road. Must be a nervous bunch as they seemed easily surprised.

LOL!!

Great post and a pretty good summary of the reality of the category these bikes fall into.

Fasttrak
Ken
Old 08-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #3202
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post

As for the bikes mentioned, I could be happy with any of them on any day.
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #3203
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
Bought a blue TEX last Wed.

Here are my initial impressions for what they're worth:

The wind screen really surprised me. It's small and gives clean smooth air in its lowest position. The cruise control is all that you could ask for.

The power reminds me of my Tiger 1050 but with more low end torque. It's smooth power but not too smooth (aka Goldwing). It accelerates like the FJR but corners much, much better. The COG is a bit higher than the GS (I had an 08 and 10, put 40k on them) so it's not quite as flickable into the corners but the difference isn't that much. Once into the curve it sticks like glue on a line. And its turning radius is smaller than the GS, which surprised me.

Maintenance looks to be pretty low. You inspect the valves once at 10k and that's it Spark plugs every 20k, synthetic oil change every 10k (and it doesn't burn oil even when new), throttle body synch (via computer no less) every 10k, etc... Here's a link to the maintenance schedule:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B95...HhCYXdHVjItY0E

The cost to value and grin factor for $$ are excellent
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #3204
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Got my vin from the dealer, hopefully pick mine up after work on Thurs! Then off sat morn for the long weeeknd for some back road exploring and trout fishing.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #3205
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post
Got my vin from the dealer, hopefully pick mine up after work on Thurs! Then off sat morn for the long weeeknd for some back road exploring and trout fishing.
I like mine fried in butter with a little lemon on the side please.

Oh and congrats.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #3206
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
LOL!!

Great post and a pretty good summary of the reality of the category these bikes fall into.

Fasttrak
Ken
FWIW, they've (CW) been pretty much on the money when it comes to the S10 (at least it matches my impressions). One of the evaluators they rely on for the off-road portion of their evaluations is one Ryan Dudek who really knows is stuff in that area. While many of the conclusions were pretty much foregone, I wouldn't call them inaccurate either. They didn't bring a whole lot suprising or new info to the table, but at least they don't say totally WRONG things like the one group of hacks that dazzled the readers with page after page of charts and graphs, then proceded to call the Tenere 'top heavy' and 'worst bike in the dirt' and the Ducati Multistrada1200 'Best offroad' Anyway, CW's comment about the Tiger Explorer beeing a 'total poser in the dirt' raises an eyebrow. It will be interesting to see what owner impression are when they inevitably start taking them off-road...and if they agree with that statement at least partially, what mod's will they make to increase the off-road prowess of the big Tigger.

Anyhow, for as brief as they most of their reviews are, I noted them to be surprisingly accurate...and with Dudek riding the piss out the machines in the dirt, I would say the insinuation of plagiarism from some readers here are just shots in the dark.

They offer but a few pieces of the puzzle to consider. Funny how almost all of the rags will touch neither ease of maintenance nor reliability history of various brands and their designs with a ten foot pole...that and dealer support.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #3207
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
I would say the insinuation of plagiarism from some readers here are just shots in the dark.
I didn't say they DID copy other reviews, I said they SHOULD HAVE and saved the fuel 'cause they brought zero new info to the table.

Quote:
Funny how almost all of the rags will touch neither ease of maintenance nor reliability history of various brands and their designs with a ten foot pole.
I've been saying this for a while now. They need to gather these babies up, gear 'em up like we would, and take 'em for a week(ish) on everything from slab to single track and report back not just on performance, but what broke (and if they're doing it right, stuff WILL break), how easy/difficult/impossible it was to fix trail-side, how easy/difficult/impossible it was to get a replacement part(s) once they got back, and what maintenance they needed to do before, during, and after the ride (and how easy/difficult THAT was....in their garage). You know, actual real world stuff that owners of these things encounter every day. NOBODY does this!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #3208
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:

They offer but a few pieces of the puzzle to consider. Funny how almost all of the rags will touch neither ease of maintenance nor reliability history of various brands and their designs with a ten foot pole...that and dealer support.
Matter of time and money mostly. The manufacturers don't want to give the magazines a bike long term, and the magazines seldom have the time to put serious mileage on them to test for reliability.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #3209
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,827
Quote:
Funny how almost all of the rags will touch neither ease of maintenance nor reliability history of various brands and their designs with a ten foot pole...that and dealer support.
German magazine Tourenfahrer generally does long term tests (50k km) on various bikes. Right now, I'm only aware that they have a Tiger 800 in the long term test. But they don't do them very often, just a handful of the very popular models.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:37 AM   #3210
mototopo67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Guardate un pò cosa arriva...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Faster and Faster: 2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC announced

mototopo67 screwed with this post 09-01-2012 at 03:44 AM
mototopo67 is offline   Reply With Quote