View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #3271
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,977
Triumph really fugged up by not offering a larger tank. That crap about it ruining the handling is just that, crap. If Guzzi can offer a 8.5gal tank and have it's weight held fairly low and not end up with an ill handling cow compared to the regular Stelivio then Triumph could also,,,,,,, if they decided to set their engineers loose. The regular Explorer should have come with a 250 mile range min IMO and it shoulda been a given on the XC model.

Geeze, an extra 6-10lbs gonna fug up the handling and there is no way to engineer the tank to hold that extra gallon or so a bit lower. BS.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #3272
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Yess definitely, I agree on this.
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #3273
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Triumph really fugged up by not offering a larger tank. That crap about it ruining the handling is just that, crap. If Guzzi can offer a 8.5gal tank and have it's weight held fairly low and not end up with an ill handling cow compared to the regular Stelivio then Triumph could also,,,,,,, if they decided to set their engineers loose. The regular Explorer should have come with a 250 mile range min IMO and it shoulda been a given on the XC model.

Geeze, an extra 6-10lbs gonna fug up the handling and there is no way to engineer the tank to hold that extra gallon or so a bit lower. BS.
Well, not to disagree with your general points but the Guzzi does have a different engine configuration that lends itself to allowing a tank to be fitted lower.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #3274
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Well, not to disagree with your general points but the Guzzi does have a different engine configuration that lends itself to allowing a tank to be fitted lower.
and if a frog had wings,,,,,,,,,,, it wouldn't bump it's azz everytime it jumped either.

Just playing a bit. Don't take me too seriously.

It might be a smidge harder to do on a Triple vs a V-Twin but honestly, there is no legit reason why the engineers couldn't have bumped the capacity another gallon or so on the regular Explorer and it's a huge cluster fugg when they didn't include on the XC. The reason it wasn't done {when they already had done it} was "looks" and the fear the mere mention of a large tank capacity would be met with cries of "The huge tank makes the bike top heavy" from the Starbucks crowd.They had the chance to fix one of the short comings and they didn't and I think it's because they just don't want to admit they fugged up and caved to the Starbucks BSers.

I wish Yammy would offer a more serious model of the Tenere with a larger tank and while at it,,,, include the CC Triumph included when they couldn't be bothered to give their bike at least a 250+ range. May Buell 1125CR had the same range as the Explorer and it's a naked sportbike for goodness sakes!

Like I said, don't take me too seriously. I'm just yappin out loud and passing time.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #3275
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
The reason it wasn't done {when they already had done it} was "looks" and the fear the mere mention of a large tank capacity would be met with cries of "The huge tank makes the bike top heavy" from the Starbucks crowd.
Was at a Triumph / BMW dealership today (I needed parts and my wife was test sitting everything that was available and where she liked the looks) and did some sitting around on various bikes.

For me I found the GS Adventure and the Tiger Explorer have about the same optical impression when you sit on them, but the GSA feels bit lighter with a full tank. The Explorer is much lower though, but the GSA doesn't bother me.

From my perspective, Triumph has not done a very good job of shaping the fuel tank properly. It looks okay when you're not on the bike, it looks massive when you're on, and it's actually fairly small for what it looks like. Very disappointed with that. If I ever get a bigger bike again, it will likely not be the Explorer, I plain don't like the styling / fuel range.

Wife sat on the Tiger 800, Explorer, G650GS, F650GS (twin), R1200GS, R1200GSA (it was a bit harder but she got it off the side stand and had still the balls of both feet solidly on the ground - I was surprised), R1200R, F800R. She commented that both Tigers were optically more than she liked. She has a F650GS single at the moment which is very narrow in the classic tank area, mainly because the tank is under the seat and not where it is on most of the other bikes.

So, we had the same opinion: the Explorer looks way bigger than it should in the tank area, it is fairly heavy, even compared to monsters like the GSA, but as it is lower it's easier to handle at stand still. Personally, I liked the GSA much better, but I know that I like the triple engine much more than the boxer. If I would be out to buy a bike in that class, it would rather be the standard GS again (had one before the Tiger 800) or the Tenere.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #3276
AtlantaDR
Anything on 2 Wheels

Oddometer: 130
Can't judge it by just sitting on it...

I am sure that you can get some sense of a bike by sitting on it, but if I had just done that, I never would have purchased the TEX. Once this bike is under way, it is so sweet. The way it makes power is truly intoxicating. Torque right were you need/want it. It sounds great, shifts like butter, handles exceptionally well, and it just looks cool (IMHO)

I am getting 200 miles before the light comes on, which means 240-250 mile range if I pushed it. I am pleased with that, and will carry a little gas for Alaska and South of the Border.
AtlantaDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #3277
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaDR View Post
I am sure that you can get some sense of a bike by sitting on it,
I understand that - these were purely stand still impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaDR View Post
I am getting 200 miles before the light comes on, which means 240-250 mile range if I pushed it. I am pleased with that, and will carry a little gas for Alaska and South of the Border.
For me it's not just range for reaching the next gas station, it's also about filling up. I hate filling my Tiger 800. Those stupid "protection" thingies in there are such a shit. My GS was a bit fiddly with the California gas nozzle "fore skin", but the Tiger is plain a pain in the rear. Don't know whether the TEX is similar, if it is, this little detail will take points off the bike if I do a comparison. And quite some because it is such a pain - especially if you have to fill up nearly twice as often as for example on a GSA.

There are other things I don't like about the Explorer, I haven't been all too close to one since seeing it at the IMS last year, so today it was a good second impression that made every thought that this might be an interesting bike for me go away. It's just not a bike for me. Not even close. Put a shaft or belt on the 800 Roadie, give it some more useful details like emergency flashers, slightly better suspension, a better seat foam, a narrower exhaust, and it would be the much, much better bike for me. I'm building mine towards being perfect for me, but I would love if I didn't have to.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #3278
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
1200 XC coming...

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2012/09...r-explorer-xc/

need to get me some 'greens' to match in...
Old 09-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #3279
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,597
I want raising links for the rear... Anyone heard they exist?

Facebook

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #3280
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Personally, I liked the GSA much better, but I know that I like the triple engine much more than the boxer. If I would be out to buy a bike in that class, it would rather be the standard GS again (had one before the Tiger 800) or the Tenere.
It all boils down to taste for sure, but the one characteristic of the GS that stands out to me and others is the telelever front end. You either love it, or you hate it. I don't love it.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #3281
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I understand that - these were purely stand still impressions.

For me it's not just range for reaching the next gas station, it's also about filling up. I hate filling my Tiger 800. Those stupid "protection" thingies in there are such a shit. My GS was a bit fiddly with the California gas nozzle "fore skin", but the Tiger is plain a pain in the rear. Don't know whether the TEX is similar, if it is, this little detail will take points off the bike if I do a comparison. And quite some because it is such a pain - especially if you have to fill up nearly twice as often as for example on a GSA.

There are other things I don't like about the Explorer, I haven't been all too close to one since seeing it at the IMS last year, so today it was a good second impression that made every thought that this might be an interesting bike for me go away. It's just not a bike for me. Not even close. Put a shaft or belt on the 800 Roadie, give it some more useful details like emergency flashers, slightly better suspension, a better seat foam, a narrower exhaust, and it would be the much, much better bike for me. I'm building mine towards being perfect for me, but I would love if I didn't have to.
The little plastic things pulls out very easily and makes fueling as easy as any other bike I have owned.

Take a test ride then decide. If you still feel the same it isn't for you but you cannot judge a bike on the stand. Sure, you can think it looks ugly and if that is an overriding factor for you then don't even bother riding it otherwise I strongly urge you to give it a go.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #3282
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
It all boils down to taste for sure, but the one characteristic of the GS that stands out to me and others is the telelever front end. You either love it, or you hate it. I don't love it.
I actually like it. It leaves me with nearly full travel under breaking and makes the ride very, very stable. Takes a few hundred (or thousand) miles to get used to though.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #3283
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
Take a test ride then decide. If you still feel the same it isn't for you but you cannot judge a bike on the stand.
I know what I can and cannot judge from sitting on a bike. The Explorer doesn't even trigger a desire for a test ride for me. And that's odd as love to test ride pretty much every bike. Right now I'm more interested in the Tenere or the CrossTourer (not available in the US) than in the Explorer. But I'm mostly interested in keeping my Tiger 800 for the time being ...
Old 09-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #3284
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Touring

Anybody here done a longtrip with it? Say longer than 5000 km. I am considering a partner to My Scrambler.I have test ride the Tiger 800 and that is fantastic bike, but I will ride long trips mostly on asphalt and the torque
off the 1215 is impressing when riding with luggage and two person. I will wait for the XC model next spring.

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]

henryII screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 12:57 AM
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:21 AM   #3285
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,597
Read my blog http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/

More than 4600 US miles (some Canadiens :) )

Facebook

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is online now   Reply With Quote