Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #316
4bikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
I realize there are many challenges for everyone (tall or short) when it comes to finding a good bike fit. I never for once said bikes were an easy fit for you.

What I disagreed with was the statement "There are far to many bikes [...] made for small people." When it comes to the ADV category this is NOT true. If it was you would have told me the name of a bike that was an ADV bike that had a low seat height (less than 30"). Now if this was a Harley forum you might have a point.

Course your definition of "small people" is probably different than mine. I would say small is 5' 8" or less, you probably mean less than your height. Lets face it at 6' 5" one is well into the 99 percentile. Heck 6' 3" is 95th. So no manufacturer tailors bikes for folks that big. Since 5' 10" is at the 50th percentile I bet most bikes are made for folks at that height. However in the ADV category the bikes are by and large better for the longer of leg.

You might bitch that some piece of plastic is poking you, but its not dangerous. Dangerous is me on a GSA with full fuel at a stop light. So sorry if I fail to feel much sympathy.
I don't want to bitch about anything, and I do agree that adv. bikes are higher than average. I just point out that I want a bike with good legroom. I have been riding KTM 950/990 fore 6 years and I made them taller. Now I ride a T800XC and one of the very few complains I have is the lack of legroom (fore me).
4bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #317
Chadd
I live in the wrong place

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
I assume you are talking the standard 800, not the 800XC? I would be very happy with a bike of that height. I'm 5' 8" but have short legs and a long body, 28" inseam.

I am sure the seat will be adjustable, and looking at my mockups it looks to be about equal with the 800XC, not the 800. So its short is the 800's tall (~33").
I think that is just the nature of the type of bikes most of us ride, they need long travel suspension and a lot of ground clearance to accomplish the job at hand. I am 5'11" with 32" inseam and even when I was a kid I remember having to pull up next to the porch or a milk crate to get on and off my old DR250 way back in the day. The only other option is to ride a street bike or something like a Triumph Scrambler otherwise you just have to suck it up and deal with it.

I for one would choose the original KTM 950S models with tall suspenders over one of the short ones even if I have to slide off the seat to one side to touch the ground.
03 WR250F
95 GasGas JT25

Chadd screwed with this post 10-28-2011 at 01:49 AM Reason: Opps I am 5'11" not 5'7"
Chadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #318
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bikes View Post
I don't want to bitch about anything, and I do agree that adv. bikes are higher than average. I just point out that I want a bike with good legroom. I have been riding KTM 950/990 fore 6 years and I made them taller. Now I ride a T800XC and one of the very few complains I have is the lack of legroom (fore me).
Well I hope that the T1200 is a bike that we all love, but I am pretty sure it ain't gonna fit the both of us! In fact it will probably be too small for you and too big for me. But I doubt that will deter either of us
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Rustic Roads Century Progress
lonerockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #319
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bikes View Post
Get the SW Motech pegs and mount them in the lowest position with the rubbers off. It makes a big difference in legroom.
motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #320
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,026
I am 5'9 and never had any real issue riding a 1200GSA, had a extra low seat on it but always felt good on the bike. I really miss it and am going to get myself another depending on how these new ones from Yamaha, Triumph and Honda do.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #321
4bikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosickle2000 View Post
Get the SW Motech pegs and mount them in the lowest position with the rubbers off. It makes a big difference in legroom.
Yes, I know, but that will even bring gear- and brake pedal closer to the ground, and more exposed to damage when riding off road. I'm thinking "renazco", but has put the decision on hold because the T1200 comes on the road next spring.
4bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:54 AM   #322
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 956
Truth be told, it will be interesting when all the facts are in to compare this bike to the others in the segment. One thing is glaringly obvious however, BMW has a massively succesful bike and flattery alone has proven it's already won.
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:40 AM   #323
Stickywicket
Banned

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
Interesting that there's yet to be a pic showing the shaft drive...
its seen on the early "spyshot"

Stickywicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #324
Strada
Tally Ho!

Oddometer: 411
And on the Trophy 1200.................

www.palmerproducts.co.uk
Strada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #325
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post
BMW has a massively succesful bike and flattery alone has proven it's already won.
If we stretch this quote a few decades back, the ultimate winner is the DR750 from which all consequent big adventure bikes copied their looks.
I personally, could not give a toss which bike wins or what bike copies its looks from what bike. All I want is a bike that I consider best for me. Have had many years and miles on a big GSA and even though it has personality in spades, I eventually got tired by the top heavy weight of the thing, the un-informing telelever contraption on the front and the uninspiring diesel engine. For my needs, this new T looks like a winner

Bring it on!

edit
The one and only thing that puts me off is the BMWesque shafty. A weak design point that T deemed necessary to copy without having learned the lesson from the past. Yamaha did learn though. There is always hope that it will be a better design though...

mousitsas screwed with this post 10-28-2011 at 08:05 AM
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #326
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post
One thing is glaringly obvious however, BMW has a massively succesful bike and flattery alone has proven it's already won.
Do the other manufactuers still have to pay BMW a stipend, or has the patent expired ?

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #327
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strada View Post
And on the Trophy 1200.................

If Triumph's on the stock exchange, now would be a good time to invest !

The Trophy developmental mule, is certainly evolving into a fine looking bike.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #328
Stickywicket
Banned

Oddometer: 1,185
You have to laugh at the "spy" shots. Heavily disguised with Triumph written down his leg
Stickywicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #329
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,739
Looks!

Like that will be the same shaft drive on the Explorer that we can't see on those pictures. Looks stout. Hopefully the engine will sound better than the 800XC Triumph. Raspy, whiney sounding thing. Rubber on the shaft looks an after thought.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #330
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Looks like his knee puck has seen some action!

Can someone explain to me why the exhaust can be beneath the panniers on the Trophy, giving a lower CG and larger luggage capacity/skinnier rear end, but on the Tiger and most other ADV bikes the muffler has to be raised and in the way?
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote