ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > British Beasts: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #3361
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
I'm not certain I would want to shell out $20k to be a beta tester though.
Right
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #3362
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 806
Edit:

Humor only works when you quote the right post. I'm giving up and going home.


Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
The two biggest changes are obviously water cooling for one and a wet clutch on a Boxer motor. After that it's lots of incremental improvements or changes; shaft drive and exhaust changed sides, more power, revised electronics, smaller tank supposedly for better ergos, wider tires, different frame, cruise control, etc....

Sounds very interesting. I'm not certain I would want to shell out $20k to be a beta tester though.
But $16k on a completely new Exp1200 is ok?


__________________
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'06 Ducati 999S
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and mostly forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #3363
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
I really like the 1200 Explorer but after having seen the new GS I have to say that Triumph still has ways to go.
Every little detail on the GS looks great and well though through while the Explorer looks economical (not bad) but it's still a hughe difference, at least to me. I'd say the Explorer has the better engine however it's not a Boxer (good and bad)
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #3364
Voluhzia
iExplorer
 
Voluhzia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,608
Explorer is an engineering success, the new LC GS is re-engineering failure...

My opinion...


Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #3365
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru
 
scottie boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Acworth, GA
Oddometer: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Edit:

But $16k on a completely new Exp1200 is ok?


Who said there was a Triumph in my garage? I haunt this thread only because I really am impressed with Triumph in general. Every single Triumph I have ridden has left me with a huge smile on my face. I currently own two motorcycles but both were produced in the land of the rising sun. However, one of my bikes is getting a little old and that new Trophy sure looks nice though.
__________________
sparkyairracing.com
scottie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #3366
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru
 
scottie boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Acworth, GA
Oddometer: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
Explorer is an engineering success, the new LC GS is re-engineering failure...

My opinion...


Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

I am NOT a BMW fan boy but I am curious why you call it a failure. Time will tell how the reliability holds up but the specs look compelling.
__________________
sparkyairracing.com
scottie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #3367
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
Explorer is an engineering success, the new LC GS is re-engineering failure...

My opinion...
Everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion. But everybody is also entitled to call out complete bullshit.

The existing GS is an engineering and marketing success par excellence. One could not exist so successfully without the other though. The BMW engineering is so outstanding, that people consistently push the products way beyond the "normal" usage envelope. They overload the bikes, pound the crap out of them off the beaten path, explore the world, take the huge bikes wherever they want to go, and the marketing machine picks this up and makes it an even bigger sales success.

How the new BMW will work out? Nobody knows. I can make a prediction - it will hold up great to the abuse the typical BMW rider will put the bike through. And people will love the new GS. BMW is way too experienced to bring something to market, that doesn't work well in owners' hands.

The Explorer has to demonstrate over the next few years whether I can hold a candle to that success. People will take this bike and ride it in places where they probably shouldn't. Maybe less so than with the GS, but they will still do it. We will see within the next five years or so how well the Triumph engineering holds up. It might hold up well, it might not. Nobody knows yet.

Everything has to be in proper perspective and your "announcement" above is without any useful background, unfounded, uninformed, and in my opinion pure BS.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:52 AM   #3368
Voluhzia
iExplorer
 
Voluhzia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,608
Wow, a single opinion touched some nerves here.

What I'm saying is that BMW with 30-year GS history came up with something you need to keep staring at to start liking it. I don't care how much of a great performer it is I don't use 100% their capacities.

I had to see all new Tiger Explorer once to like it and 5 min to test ride it to fall in love...

It's like with women...

...but sometimes the ugly end up better partners in life though...


Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #3369
Beemerlover
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
Wow, a single opinion touched some nerves here.

What I'm saying is that BMW with 30-year GS history came up with something you need to keep staring at to start liking it. I don't care how much of a great performer it is I don't use 100% their capacities.

I had to see all new Tiger Explorer once to like it and 5 min to test ride it to fall in love...

It's like with women...

...but sometimes the ugly end up better partners in life though...

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

Yeah, you should know that anytime you say anything remotely negative about a Beemer on this forum, the fan boys will immediately get their panties in a bunch and start calling BS and putting the spin on how great BMW bikes are. It reminds me of a political debate! Ya just get used to it and learn to ignore it after a while.
Beemerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:23 AM   #3370
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer
 
KildareMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: County Kildare, Ireland
Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion. But everybody is also entitled to call out complete bullshit.

The existing GS is an engineering and marketing success par excellence. One could not exist so successfully without the other though. The BMW engineering is so outstanding, that people consistently push the products way beyond the "normal" usage envelope. They overload the bikes, pound the crap out of them off the beaten path, explore the world, take the huge bikes wherever they want to go, and the marketing machine picks this up and makes it an even bigger sales success.
And others are just minding their own business riding to work on a bike with just a top box on and the final drive snaps. Hmm good engineering there. Amazing what you see at the side of the M50 in Dublin.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:48 AM   #3371
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
Who said there was a Triumph in my garage? I haunt this thread only because I really am impressed with Triumph in general. Every single Triumph I have ridden has left me with a huge smile on my face. I currently own two motorcycles but both were produced in the land of the rising sun. However, one of my bikes is getting a little old and that new Trophy sure looks nice though.

True, very true my Scottie boy....:)

I would agree though....Triumph has done a fantastic job the past few years; I will own one someday...love the retro Bonnie's, the speed triple is a classic and the explorers are excellent machines.

You must journey out of the land of the rising sun...many good things lay in the land of the western world. Personally, I'm done with Japanese bikes...great bikes, but I'm finding the Europeans do things just a bit differently in the big picture of bikes. Lots of good experience with the Italians, now I'm running with the Germans and I love it. The Brits are next I think.
__________________
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'06 Ducati 999S
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and mostly forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #3372
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru
 
scottie boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Acworth, GA
Oddometer: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerlover View Post
Yeah, you should know that anytime you say anything remotely negative about a Beemer on this forum, the fan boys will immediately get their panties in a bunch and start calling BS and putting the spin on how great BMW bikes are. It reminds me of a political debate! Ya just get used to it and learn to ignore it after a while.
"Beemerlover" is calling out someone else for being a BMW fan boy.
__________________
sparkyairracing.com
scottie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #3373
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru
 
scottie boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Acworth, GA
Oddometer: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
True, very true my Scottie boy....:)

I would agree though....Triumph has done a fantastic job the past few years; I will own one someday...love the retro Bonnie's, the speed triple is a classic and the explorers are excellent machines.

You must journey out of the land of the rising sun...many good things lay in the land of the western world. Personally, I'm done with Japanese bikes...great bikes, but I'm finding the Europeans do things just a bit differently in the big picture of bikes. Lots of good experience with the Italians, now I'm running with the Germans and I love it. The Brits are next I think.

After my V-Strom got totalled last year, I was in the market for a big ADV bike. If only the TEX had come out a year earlier there might be one in my garage.
__________________
sparkyairracing.com
scottie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #3374
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
Wow, a single opinion touched some nerves here.
Didn't touch any nerves here, I couldn't care less about your opinion. Just don't like BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
What I'm saying is that BMW with 30-year GS history came up with something you need to keep staring at to start liking it. I don't care how much of a great performer it is I don't use 100% their capacities.
That's interesting now. First you speak of an engineering failure (which you have absolutely no clue about - the bike isn't even out yet), now you speak of the looks - which nobody but you cares about how long you have to stare at something until you like it, and lastly you don't even use the capabilities - so don't buy it. Where's your problem?

An opinion based on no knowledge, no proof, no concrete information, no concrete reasons, just to have an opinion? That's politics. Oh, and ADVRider, yeah, you're totally right, I forgot ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #3375
JNRobert
Breaking Wind
 
JNRobert's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Bay Area, California
Oddometer: 9,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
What I'm saying is that BMW with 30-year GS history came up with something you need to keep staring at to start liking it. I don't care how much of a great performer it is I don't use 100% their capacities.

I had to see all new Tiger Explorer once to like it and 5 min to test ride it to fall in love...

It's like with women...

...but sometimes the ugly end up better partners in life though...
Funny, I keep staring at the TE and it keeps getting uglier. The new GS looks handsome to my eye on first glance.

p.s. I've owned more Triumphs than BMW's.
__________________
Crusader of Slack
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015