Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #3361
philkinsr
GS-Ryder

Oddometer: 2
New Boxer info

The new water cooled boxer info is out. Sounds like a quantum jump and complete redesign.

2013 BMW R 1200 GS.
philkinsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #3362
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkinsr View Post
The new water cooled boxer info is out. Sounds like a quantum jump and complete redesign.

2013 BMW R 1200 GS.
46 pages and not one picture. Pictures elsewhere don't look much, if any, different from the present to be honest. Certainly not radical. More of the BMW philosophy of incremental change.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:24 AM   #3363
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkinsr View Post
Quantum jump? Are you kidding? That's the most half-assed liquid cooling system I've ever seen. If they'd done a more thorough redesign, maybe including proper water jackets around the cylinders, they could have made the engine powerful enough to be competitive with the Tiger Explorer, Multistrada 1200, and KTM 1190 Adventure......

But this "completely redesigned" GS is essentially the same bike with a few updates. I don't see it wooing too many buyers besides the ones who've already drunk the BMW Kool-Aid.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #3364
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,702
The two biggest changes are obviously water cooling for one and a wet clutch on a Boxer motor. After that it's lots of incremental improvements or changes; shaft drive and exhaust changed sides, more power, revised electronics, smaller tank supposedly for better ergos, wider tires, different frame, cruise control, etc....

Sounds very interesting. I'm not certain I would want to shell out $20k to be a beta tester though.

sparkyairracing.com
scottie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #3365
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,502
I looked at new BMW and think its a failure... Especially from ergonomics standpoint - it's just ugly...

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #3366
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
Sounds very interesting. I'm not certain I would want to shell out $20k to be a beta tester though.
From the article, "BMW is now beginning a whole new chapter in GS history: the most popular travel enduro in the world has been brought to perfection."

Aw come on man, live a little, its blatantly obvious that they have fixed it's foibles. Anybody should be honored to spend 20k on a "perfect" bike that will undoubtedly be UNSTOPPABLE. I wonder how much new server space Baldy will need to hold the multiple gigabytes of new GS problems.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #3367
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,813
Oops, got a database error message and double posted.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #3368
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
I'm not certain I would want to shell out $20k to be a beta tester though.
Right
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #3369
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Edit:

Humor only works when you quote the right post. I'm giving up and going home.

Quote:
The two biggest changes are obviously water cooling for one and a wet clutch on a Boxer motor. After that it's lots of incremental improvements or changes; shaft drive and exhaust changed sides, more power, revised electronics, smaller tank supposedly for better ergos, wider tires, different frame, cruise control, etc....

But $16k on a completely new Exp1200 is ok?

'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #3370
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
I really like the 1200 Explorer but after having seen the new GS I have to say that Triumph still has ways to go.
Every little detail on the GS looks great and well though through while the Explorer looks economical (not bad) but it's still a hughe difference, at least to me. I'd say the Explorer has the better engine however it's not a Boxer (good and bad)
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #3371
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Explorer is an engineering success, the new LC GS is re-engineering failure...

My opinion...

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #3372
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Edit:

But $16k on a completely new Exp1200 is ok?

Who said there was a Triumph in my garage? I haunt this thread only because I really am impressed with Triumph in general. Every single Triumph I have ridden has left me with a huge smile on my face. I currently own two motorcycles but both were produced in the land of the rising sun. However, one of my bikes is getting a little old and that new Trophy sure looks nice though.

sparkyairracing.com
Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #3373
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post

My opinion...

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

I am NOT a BMW fan boy but I am curious why you call it a failure. Time will tell how the reliability holds up but the specs look compelling.

sparkyairracing.com
Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #3374
cug

Oddometer: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post

My opinion...
Everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion. But everybody is also entitled to call out complete bullshit.

The existing GS is an engineering and marketing success par excellence. One could not exist so successfully without the other though. The BMW engineering is so outstanding, that people consistently push the products way beyond the "normal" usage envelope. They overload the bikes, pound the crap out of them off the beaten path, explore the world, take the huge bikes wherever they want to go, and the marketing machine picks this up and makes it an even bigger sales success.

How the new BMW will work out? Nobody knows. I can make a prediction - it will hold up great to the abuse the typical BMW rider will put the bike through. And people will love the new GS. BMW is way too experienced to bring something to market, that doesn't work well in owners' hands.

The Explorer has to demonstrate over the next few years whether I can hold a candle to that success. People will take this bike and ride it in places where they probably shouldn't. Maybe less so than with the GS, but they will still do it. We will see within the next five years or so how well the Triumph engineering holds up. It might hold up well, it might not. Nobody knows yet.

Everything has to be in proper perspective and your "announcement" above is without any useful background, unfounded, uninformed, and in my opinion pure BS.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:52 AM   #3375
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Wow, a single opinion touched some nerves here.

What I'm saying is that BMW with 30-year GS history came up with something you need to keep staring at to start liking it. I don't care how much of a great performer it is I don't use 100% their capacities.

I had to see all new Tiger Explorer once to like it and 5 min to test ride it to fall in love...

It's like with women...

...but sometimes the ugly end up better partners in life though...

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer