Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #3376
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion. But everybody is also entitled to call out complete bullshit.

The existing GS is an engineering and marketing success par excellence. One could not exist so successfully without the other though. The BMW engineering is so outstanding, that people consistently push the products way beyond the "normal" usage envelope. They overload the bikes, pound the crap out of them off the beaten path, explore the world, take the huge bikes wherever they want to go, and the marketing machine picks this up and makes it an even bigger sales success.
And others are just minding their own business riding to work on a bike with just a top box on and the final drive snaps. Hmm good engineering there. Amazing what you see at the side of the M50 in Dublin.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #3377
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
Who said there was a Triumph in my garage? I haunt this thread only because I really am impressed with Triumph in general. Every single Triumph I have ridden has left me with a huge smile on my face. I currently own two motorcycles but both were produced in the land of the rising sun. However, one of my bikes is getting a little old and that new Trophy sure looks nice though.

True, very true my Scottie boy....:)

I would agree though....Triumph has done a fantastic job the past few years; I will own one someday...love the retro Bonnie's, the speed triple is a classic and the explorers are excellent machines.

You must journey out of the land of the rising sun...many good things lay in the land of the western world. Personally, I'm done with Japanese bikes...great bikes, but I'm finding the Europeans do things just a bit differently in the big picture of bikes. Lots of good experience with the Italians, now I'm running with the Germans and I love it. The Brits are next I think.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #3378
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerlover View Post
Yeah, you should know that anytime you say anything remotely negative about a Beemer on this forum, the fan boys will immediately get their panties in a bunch and start calling BS and putting the spin on how great BMW bikes are. It reminds me of a political debate! Ya just get used to it and learn to ignore it after a while.
"Beemerlover" is calling out someone else for being a BMW fan boy.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #3379
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
True, very true my Scottie boy....:)

I would agree though....Triumph has done a fantastic job the past few years; I will own one someday...love the retro Bonnie's, the speed triple is a classic and the explorers are excellent machines.

You must journey out of the land of the rising sun...many good things lay in the land of the western world. Personally, I'm done with Japanese bikes...great bikes, but I'm finding the Europeans do things just a bit differently in the big picture of bikes. Lots of good experience with the Italians, now I'm running with the Germans and I love it. The Brits are next I think.

After my V-Strom got totalled last year, I was in the market for a big ADV bike. If only the TEX had come out a year earlier there might be one in my garage.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #3380
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
Wow, a single opinion touched some nerves here.
Didn't touch any nerves here, I couldn't care less about your opinion. Just don't like BS.

Quote:
What I'm saying is that BMW with 30-year GS history came up with something you need to keep staring at to start liking it. I don't care how much of a great performer it is I don't use 100% their capacities.
That's interesting now. First you speak of an engineering failure (which you have absolutely no clue about - the bike isn't even out yet), now you speak of the looks - which nobody but you cares about how long you have to stare at something until you like it, and lastly you don't even use the capabilities - so don't buy it. Where's your problem?

An opinion based on no knowledge, no proof, no concrete information, no concrete reasons, just to have an opinion? That's politics. Oh, and ADVRider, yeah, you're totally right, I forgot ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #3381
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,685
Quote:
What I'm saying is that BMW with 30-year GS history came up with something you need to keep staring at to start liking it. I don't care how much of a great performer it is I don't use 100% their capacities.

I had to see all new Tiger Explorer once to like it and 5 min to test ride it to fall in love...

It's like with women...

...but sometimes the ugly end up better partners in life though...
Funny, I keep staring at the TE and it keeps getting uglier. The new GS looks handsome to my eye on first glance.

p.s. I've owned more Triumphs than BMW's.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #3382
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
And others are just minding their own business riding to work on a bike with just a top box on and the final drive snaps. Hmm good engineering there. Amazing what you see at the side of the M50 in Dublin.
Amazing what you see here happen all the time: saw a broken down ST1100 lately. So what?

And also amazing what I see here: Tigers stalling, not starting, getting paint bubbles on the engine, bouncing, ripping seat covers after 20 miles riding, ... it's not that Triumph that great a track record. Nothing big so far and that's good but quite a few small and not so small issues.

The Tiger 800 isn't an engineering marvel in any way. And you explicitly should know about them. The Tiger is good in comparison to the F bikes (which have about as many little niggling things as the Tigers), the Explorer still has to show that it's up to the task with the big GS.

What I'm explicitly referring to is someone saying the Explorer is an engineering success (which it still has to show, it's too new) and the new GS is an engineering failure - which is highly unlikely, as BMW has just too much experience with the big GS series to build something that doesn't work properly.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #3383
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
I see there are many BMW lovers here, liking its emblem on the side.

I never had a BMW neither a motorcycle no a car, many of friends of mine did...

The latest BMW failure was within their warranty department which refused to repair internal failure 4 months before warranty expire but at 37K on my friends K bike - clutch basket desintegrated, really? Here

It's been in shop for 7 months now...

So, speaking of water/liquid cooled. The design is a joke, two earlike radiators on the sides and water ring around the heads? This to me is an excuse from BMW Engineering...

Teethlike beak, what purpose dies it solve? ...lights LED? Really, and a cooling fan? rails on the sides of the headlights, are they grab rails?

It amazes me when people like the knob adjusting windscreen angle/height, you must by kidding... Does it move left to right for crosswind confitions?

I had a dream of a GSA and had desktop on my PC, I watched all episodes of Charlie/Ewan comedy up until I started actually looking out to replace my Strom... Test rode Tenere, GSA, Tigers 800 and XC - nothing clicked in me... Up until the Explorer first came out in pictures (this is Explorer's thread, right?) then test rode it - I was sold.

Now, looking out to BMW and hoping they'll come up with something that looks good, designed good, drives good ... I expected everything but latest 700GS nor the day before yesterday 1200GS

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/

Voluhzia screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 11:41 AM
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #3384
cug
--

Quote:
I never had a BMW neither a motorcycle no a car, many of friends of mine did...
Oh, so you really are the most qualified person on earth to speak about them. Awesome. And buy ... great that this forum has a filter list ...
Old 10-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #3385
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
Oh, so you really are the most qualified person on earth to speak about them. Awesome. And buy ... great that this forum has a filter list ...
No I'm not, but I have Engineering Degree in Automotive Industry, specialized in engines and used to work as design engineer in one of the largest car plants in Russia, so I know EXACTLY how the motor NOT supposed to look like :-)

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #3386
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
No I'm not, but I have Engineering Degree in Automotive Industry, specialized in engines and used to work as design engineer in one of the largest car plants in Russia, so I know EXACTLY how the motor NOT supposed to look like :-)

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
You built this and expect us to take you seriously

For those who don't know, it's a Lada (Russian take on a Fiat).

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #3387
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,627
Quote:
I see there are many BMW lovers here, liking its emblem on the side.
Then you will love this excerpt from page 35 of the BMW release:

"New GS logo.
The radiator cover bears the BMW logo and a revised GS inscription. For years, the GS logo has been defined by the typical stencil typeface with its robust character and vertical gap. The horizontal gap now gives the GS graphic an added touch of dynamic flair. The type designation R 1200 likewise boasts a new design."
Old 10-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #3388
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,995
Quote:
Damn, you sure are a little touchy....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple

Mercury264 screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 11:27 AM
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #3389
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Damn you're a little touchy....
Na, I just don't want to spend time with ... ah, let's not get there.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #3390
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Just dropped in to get an update on how people are liking their new Triumphs.
Maybe checking back later would be best.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote