Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #3482
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Thumb

I agree. One of the best videos I've seen on the Explorer. A great comparrison of the 2 Tigers...
Old 11-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #3483
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post
I agree. One of the best videos I've seen on the Explorer. A great comparrison of the 2 Tigers...
Ditto!

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #3484
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWheelDrive View Post
Our little contribution to the Tiger Explorer media landscape...
Good video! And I agree with your assessment of the 800 XC. It's just a super fun bike, which might explain why I've put over 20,000 miles on mine this season, and less than 1000 miles (combined) on my other two bikes.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #3485
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Loved the video! If you were going to spend weeks and not days in the saddle riding secondary roads all over this country, including some dirt, which would you pick? The offroad prowess of the XC is appealing, allowing the menu of available routes to be larger, but do you think the lower maintenance of the shaft and the better weather protection of the Explorer would offset this? Or, maybe just get the new Trophy and forget the dirt altogether?
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #3486
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Oddometer: 663
Good Price???

I have a dealer in the Los Angles area that will sell me a 2013 Explorer with factory bags, heated grips, TPMS and low seat (I keep the standard seat as well) for $18,060 out the door. There are about $1,450 in taxes and fees on there so that puts the bike and gear at ~$16,700. I'll have to fly down to collect it and ride it back to San Francisco, so that's another $150 or so on top of that. Nice thing about buying it in LA is when I get home I'll be done with the break in period!

He advertises the bike at $13,999 and 20% off accessories, so I'm paying about $975 above that for setup & accessory installation. I've never bought a new bike so it seems fair. I worked out a list price 20% accessories no setup fees deal and that would be $18,920. So I'm $850 under that.

There is a bone stock used one with 4500 miles in LA for $13,000 that with taxes and full price accessories would come to $15,615. So $2,500 more for a new 2013 seems a good deal.

So what is the opinion? Good deal or keep looking?
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Rustic Roads Century Progress
lonerockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #3487
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
I have a dealer in the Los Angles area that will sell me a 2013 Explorer with factory bags, heated grips, TPMS and low seat (I keep the standard seat as well) for $18,060 out the door. There are about $1,450 in taxes and fees on there so that puts the bike and gear at ~$16,700. I'll have to fly down to collect it and ride it back to San Francisco, so that's another $150 or so on top of that. Nice thing about buying it in LA is when I get home I'll be done with the break in period!

He advertises the bike at $13,999 and 20% off accessories, so I'm paying about $975 above that for setup & accessory installation. I've never bought a new bike so it seems fair. I worked out a list price 20% accessories no setup fees deal and that would be $18,920. So I'm $850 under that.

There is a bone stock used one with 4500 miles in LA for $13,000 that with taxes and full price accessories would come to $15,615. So $2,500 more for a new 2013 seems a good deal.

Wish we here in Norway could have that price level, here a ripped new explorer cost about 32 000 USD.
Due to enviorment tax, hp tax, CCM tax...

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:48 AM   #3488
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Thumb

Can't believe you don't have that airline ticket bought yet...
Old 11-29-2012, 05:21 AM   #3489
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post

That seems excessive to me....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:41 AM   #3490
Pacific
Left Coast Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
800XC vs 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
Loved the video! If you were going to spend weeks and not days in the saddle riding secondary roads all over this country, including some dirt, which would you pick? The offroad prowess of the XC is appealing, allowing the menu of available routes to be larger, but do you think the lower maintenance of the shaft and the better weather protection of the Explorer would offset this? Or, maybe just get the new Trophy and forget the dirt altogether?
I did this last summer, 2up, no less -- 6000 miles of secondary roads, from BC to West Texas and back. The XC was brilliant, though a little cramped. Just picked up the Explorer, though, and the back-to-back difference is HUGE. The XC is more versatile, no question, but the 1200 is made for long days and big miles and would be just fine on "simple" dirt and gravel roads.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #3491
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific View Post
I did this last summer, 2up, no less -- 6000 miles of secondary roads, from BC to West Texas and back. The XC was brilliant, though a little cramped. Just picked up the Explorer, though, and the back-to-back difference is HUGE. The XC is more versatile, no question, but the 1200 is made for long days and big miles and would be just fine on "simple" dirt and gravel roads.
Thanks for the feedback. My problem is that I'm retiring at 55 years old in a year, have no dirt experience except what I've done on my streetbike, but still have visions of the translabrador, alaska, and all of those awesome routes that Docking Pilot has posted on here. I also intend to spend weeks seeing this country from the back of a bike, and as much as I'd like one bike to do it all, that probably isn't realistic. Also, whereas I now ride solo, I might have the need for a passenger and all of our gear, so probably the larger explorer would be the better option. Probably in the end I'm better off just keeping my Legend since I can do all of my own work on it, and keep it simple. Maybe pick up a smaller dirt bike for the rougher roads? Too many decisions and too expensive to have all of them!
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #3492
samson70
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
i cant find video u guys r talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
Thanks for the video - very interesting

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
Where is it?
samson70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #3493
samson70
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryII View Post
Wish we here in Norway could have that price level, here a ripped new explorer cost about 32 000 USD.
Due to enviorment tax, hp tax, CCM tax...
Wow!. You guys are really being screwed. Sorry.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #3494
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson70 View Post
Where is it?
Here http://youtu.be/X4fbnw6De24

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #3495
samson70
Adventurer

Explorer Love!

I am absolutely in love with my explorer. I currently have 3800 miles on it. I bought it ON my birthday May 22. I test rode BMW GS both adv and none adv. for 3 hours. To be honest i simply didn't get them.. Went back to triumph for second test ride and knew after 5 min. The Explorer was mine. Fell in love immediately.
Couple of good points: I am 6 ft tall and in the most comfortable sitting position (upright) my arms were stretched out straight which in turn gave me strain after 5 min. and made me tired way prematurely. So to compensate i would lean forward, which in turn would give me lower back strain. So i ordered and picked up yesterday handlebar risers about 1 inch up and pivots back and fourth. Huge difference. And also counter steering had become a lot easier since i can push forward on the bar instead of down. And it has become a lot easier to stand up on the pegs while reaching down to handlebars since they are higher up now.
Another suggestion - highway pegs. On longer freeway stretches, a god given for your legs and knees. Even in the highest seat position ( that's how i have it) the bend on my knees gets tough.
I also put on windshield extender from touratech. Much less wind noise.
I am absolutely in love with the engine, seat and bike's handling. But the changes i mentioned above were definitely needed for my comfort.
ABS and traction give me that extra piece of mind. Got used to throttle by wire after about a week.
There were NO issues so far! Lets hope that is the trend.
Enjoy my friends.