samson70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #3497
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
That seems excessive to me....
How much did you pay for a setup fee on the T800? What kind of setup fee is "reasonable"?
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Rustic Roads Century Progress
lonerockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #3498
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
How much did you pay for a setup fee on the T800? What kind of setup fee is "reasonable"?

$0.0 My dealer does not charge setup. He said it's only a matter of putting on the mirrors, airing up tires, put in some gas, put a charge on the battery, checking computer diagnostics and ticking off a checklist.. takes maybe half an hour.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #3499
samson70
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post
Back to the top!

Just over week ago did 900 mi trip down to NC to suprise my sister and niece for her birthday. By far my longest road trip. Might look into a little better windshield for extended road trips. Just a touch of buffeting. It was starting to get a little windy too though so that didnt help. Little sore after I got off the bike. I could see it being a problem if I was riding a couple days straight like that, But then again could be just something to get used to just like being in the saddle for that long. Found I do usually have around half a gallon left when the miles to empty indicator runs out.

NONE of my waterproof clothing stayed dry. Even found I had a small pinhole in the crotch of my heavy pvc rain bibs. Didnt help the temp dropped 30 DEGREES within an hour of leaving my sisters. My 7 hour ride home turned into a 10.5 hr quest to not die of hypothermia and get home before the hurricane hit. That was absolute hell. Tires did great in the rain though. Plenty of times I was still running 75 ish when the road was dryer.

Anyone on the forum with a grey launch edition around the Hickory/statesville NC area? We were on the way to the zoo and saw one going the opposite way(40 east maybe?) riding with another guy. Even my bro in law noticed it was the same bike as mine, lol. Would have been sat the 27th.

Also, anyone ELSE rocking one of these yet??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-TIGE...item5d3544dd8f
T - shirt looks great! here are my impressions on my Explorer
I am absolutely in love with my explorer. I currently have 3800 miles on it. I bought it ON my birthday May 22. I test rode GS both adv and none adv. for 3 hours. To be honest i simply didn't get them.. Went back to triumph for second test ride and knew after 5 min. The Explorer was mine.
Couple of good points: I am 6 ft tall and in the most comfortable sitting position (upright) my arms were stretched out straight which in turn gave me strain after 5 min. and made me tired way prematurely. So to compensate i would lean forward, which in turn would give me lower back strain. So i ordered and picked up yesterday handlebar risers about 1 inch up and pivots back and fourth. Huge difference. And also counter steering had become a lot easier since i can push forward on the bar instead of down. And it has become a lot easier to stand up on the pegs while reaching down to handlebars since they are higher up now.
Another suggestion - highway pegs. On longer freeway stretches, a god given for your legs and knees. Even in the highest seat position ( that's how i have it) the bend on my knees gets tough.
I also put on windshield extender from touratech. Much less wind noise.
I am absolutely in love with the engine, seat and bike's handling. But the changes i mentioned above were definitely needed for my comfort.
ABS and traction give me that extra piece of mind. Got used to throttle by wire after about a week.
There were NO issues so far! Lets hope that is the trend.
Enjoy my friend.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:38 AM   #3500
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 685
Um.no. Dealer set-up takes much more time than that if done properly. The "checklist" for the tech to check everything on thsat list-not just check to boxes. I've done it and it takes time. Well over 1 hour to do correct.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:45 AM   #3501
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
I honestly can't remember but I know for sure it was nowhere near that much (I would have totally baulked at that).
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:46 AM   #3502
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
$0.0 My dealer does not charge setup. He said it's only a matter of putting on the mirrors, airing up tires, put in some gas, put a charge on the battery, checking computer diagnostics and ticking off a checklist.. takes maybe half an hour.
Pretty sure there's more to it than that.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #3503
motorcyclemark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
This is the real world regardless of what your dealer or salesman will tell you. Greed and the willingness of the buyer to pay extra seem to be the norm these days.
motorcyclemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #3504
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclemark View Post
This is the real world regardless of what your dealer or salesman will tell you. Greed and the willingness of the buyer to pay extra seem to be the norm these days.
Isn't Triumph even covering that? I thought I heard that somewhere.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #3505
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclemark View Post
The half hour is my guesstimate maybe with a test ride it gets up to an hour.

The dealer's responsibility is to uncrate and get the bike ready to ride, not to preform quality control for the manufacturer.. All of the checks and adjustments should have been preformed before it left the factory. The dealer does check bolts. cable adjustment,etc. at the 500 mile service but that's after the bike has "settled in".

Our local BMW/Ducati/Triuumph dealer charges $500 for setup claiming it takes that long to get a bike ready. The Triumph/KTM dealer charges nothing. I've purchased 3 bikes from each and never had a problem so I believe setup charges are a scam..
Old 12-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #3506
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,599
That's how mine came - "some assembly required"

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #3507
Pacific
Left Coast Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Dealer Dealing

The fees charged by Triumph are 50% higher, in my local market, than those charged by BMW. To my mind, that tells a tale, but the fees are not a rip-off and should not come as a surprise to anyone. The dealers have to make money to stay open, and the fees are one more way they do that (along with finance kickbacks, manufacturer kickbacks, and good old retail markup). Depending on the dealer, the time of year, and the customer, all values are negotiable.

I returned from a trip south to Phoenix in November, and when I told my dealer what I could buy an Explorer for there, he wrote "competitive offer" on his quote sheet and gave me a deal I was happy with.

I have sometimes approached dealers as though they were trying to rip me off. Generally, that attitude has made them resistant rather than compliant. On two occasions, I paid full price for bikes I wanted, but I would blame my approach (and possibly the time of year) for my experience.

Dealers are people. They want to be seen as good guys (most of them, anyway), but like the rest of us, they don't like bullies.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #3508
samson70
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific View Post
The fees charged by Triumph are 50% higher, in my local market, than those charged by BMW. To my mind, that tells a tale, but the fees are not a rip-off and should not come as a surprise to anyone. The dealers have to make money to stay open, and the fees are one more way they do that (along with finance kickbacks, manufacturer kickbacks, and good old retail markup). Depending on the dealer, the time of year, and the customer, all values are negotiable.

I returned from a trip south to Phoenix in November, and when I told my dealer what I could buy an Explorer for there, he wrote "competitive offer" on his quote sheet and gave me a deal I was happy with.

I have sometimes approached dealers as though they were trying to rip me off. Generally, that attitude has made them resistant rather than compliant. On two occasions, I paid full price for bikes I wanted, but I would blame my approach (and possibly the time of year) for my experience.

Dealers are people. They want to be seen as good guys (most of them, anyway), but like the rest of us, they don't like bullies.
Well written sir.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:11 AM   #3509
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 685
Right. And really, does anybody think Triumph or any other manuf. drop off the bike for free at any dealership?
Those trucks don't drive themselves and the drivers don't work for free.

The truck pulls in and it's a fee, period, for EVERY bike they drop off. If you are not charged it's because it was not passed on-not because it was not paid. And if you are planning on the factory to do the QC, good on ya. Not me.
I've seen what can and does happen from time to time.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #3510
sinned
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I don't get it. Ride reports, wheelies, mud, grime, Iron Butt days, destroy Tenere wheels,
Ride to Alaska with a broken leg, hit a cow, break my knee off, break my other leg,
but what does everyone remember? One stinking ass-less chap shot......thanks cug.

WoW!.

What impresses me the most about this post and the arse end, nope it aint that arse end, it is the fact that there are a wide range of arse ends in the photo. Some maxi scoots, amongst the pack. As a biker with several maxi scoots, a super tenere, plus a dragstar classic 1100, and K1100RS and a couple of other bikes all of which I ride, I just want to say this photo here represents all that is good about bikers or as it should be and that is it doesn't matter what you ride, just so long as you ride. Bravo!

Kiwi ADVenturer inmate Dr, Paramedic, NP, (ex)firefighter exploring life via the ADVenturous 2 wheeled route. It's not the destination but the journey & choices made therein; that determines the measure of ones legacy. Don't sweat the small stuff, life happens while we're not looking. Hug those around you who have a place & meaning in your life, for it may not come again.

sinned screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 04:21 AM
sinned is offline   Reply With Quote