View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #3526
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,599
Well, the standard seat, after 16000 miles in it, was OK. I had Touring screen with side deflectors from Powerbronze - no wind into chest. I have 20mm risers from SW-Motech... - my shoulders and hands themselves a little tired...

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #3527
samson70
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Pissed buzzing noise from front

hey guys. Was wondering if anyone else experienced on and off buzzing noise coming fom either hanlebars or in between handlebars down and forward? I cant put my finger on it as to where exactly its coming from, but it usually happens between 2 -4 rps. Only when i excellerate.
Any ideas?
samson70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #3528
samson70
Adventurer

wind noise on helmet sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaDR View Post

Here is the one picture that I have, and it is not great.

I am in Atlanta and the TEX is in Los Angeles, so I will take some close-ups when I return in a couple of days.

The touch surface is a traditional black leather, the sides are vinyl as they suggest, and I did not do any kind of welts. I like the smooth, clean feel of the bike without the bead.
Just curious if you are experiencing any noise on sides of your helmet with your height? Dont know if its my helmet but when I push helmet in while in cruise control noise seems to diminish.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #3529
samson70
Adventurer

dont like my tank bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
Hey man. I seem to be hating my oem trimph tank bag. Cannot stand up on pegs and its always in the way. You like It?
Slava
Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #3530
AtlantaDR
Anything on 2 Wheels

Oddometer: 130
Wind Noise

Yes there is a lot of wind noise for someone my height, especially at higher speeds. I have the Cee Bailley's 23" and it is extremelyu quiet if I lean forward and down a couple of inches. When I sit up right, it is very loud/dirty air. Not sure my next step, but I need something a little taller.
AtlantaDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #3531
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Yes there is a lot of wind noise for someone my height, especially at higher speeds. I have the Cee Bailley's 23" and it is extremelyu quiet if I lean forward and down a couple of inches. When I sit up right, it is very loud/dirty air. Not sure my next step, but I need something a little taller.
http://shop.touratech.de/windscreen-...universal.html
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:40 AM   #3532
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson70 View Post
Hey man. I seem to be hating my oem trimph tank bag. Cannot stand up on pegs and its always in the way. You like It?
Slava
I don't like it and only use it for long trips. I also cannot stand on pegs with it on. I use handlebar bag from Wunderlich (made for GS) on daily commute

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 AM   #3533
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Quote:
hey guys. Was wondering if anyone else experienced on and off buzzing noise coming fom either hanlebars or in between handlebars down and forward? I cant put my finger on it as to where exactly its coming from, but it usually happens between 2 -4 rps. Only when i excellerate.
Any ideas?
Could be the plastic covers on the sides of the radiator, tap on them and you'll hear they are not tightly secured.

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

Old 01-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #3534
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Check out: http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.5969/.f

The Madstad is adjustable. I love mine!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #3535
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Not sure my next step, but I need something a little taller.
I doubt that this will help. You need more rake back and/or laminar flow. Just a big windshield will always feel like a phone booth in the wind ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #3536
samson70
Adventurer

Quote:
I did add the touratech additional top spoiler. Helped a lot, but i think at this point my helmet is the problem. I ordered thicker cheek pads, will see what it does.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #3537
samson70
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
Check out: http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.5969/.f

The Madstad is adjustable. I love mine!
The tall touring oem windshield is adjustable (tilt) as well, but i still needed more. How tall are you?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #3538
samson70
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
I don't like it and only use it for long trips. I also cannot stand on pegs with it on. I use handlebar bag from Wunderlich (made for GS) on daily commute

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
I do the same. Funny thing is thou, Its the long trips where i would love to stand up on my pegs to rest. The daily commute is no problem.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #3539
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
The tall touring oem windshield is adjustable (tilt) as well, but i still needed more. How tall are you?
The issue is very likely that'll you will probably never get into a fully calm pocket of air - what you need is turbulence control. That is normally done with laminar air flow, de-pressurizing the back of the screen and so on. A larger shield might just create a bigger vacuum and worse turbulence.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #3540
Pacific
Left Coast Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Turbulence

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
The issue is very likely that'll you will probably never get into a fully calm pocket of air - what you need is turbulence control. That is normally done with laminar air flow, de-pressurizing the back of the screen and so on. A larger shield might just create a bigger vacuum and worse turbulence.
I think this is correct. I've long since given up chasing perfection where turbulence is concerned. I'm 6'5" and I decided to stop wasting money and time on this issue. Hard to get touring bike wind dynamics on ADV grand-tourers. If it's truly bothersome, experiment with the little things first. Spin your mirrors off, for example, and go for a quick ride to see how much they contribute. If they are part of the problem, get some SW-Motech "wideners" to reposition them. The Explorer, with the screen all the way down/back gives me the cleanest, quietest ride I've had on a bike in the last several years.