Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #3541
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Madstad windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson70 View Post
The tall touring oem windshield is adjustable (tilt) as well, but i still needed more. How tall are you?
I'm 6'0" and use a 20", set at about 1/3rd of it's potential. (the Madstad brackets allow for up/down adjustment).The OEM tilt is set midway, seat at high position. The shield is set at my mouth level and airflow just kisses top of my helmet for ventilation.I could easily set it so I'm looking through the shield (using the madstad brackets and/or the tilt), but not necessary because the laminar flow built into the design carries the flow higher than it would be otherwise..

I also have a 18" narrow shield that I set a tad higher for summer and that too clears my helmet so anything taller than 20" for me would be overkill. I would judge that the 20" would work for those up to 6-1,maybe 6-2, those over should consider the 22".

Other thing I like is it's rock solid,even on rough roads and you can bolt a RAM mount to be base plate to position your GPS directly over the instrument pod.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #3542
samson70
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
I'm 6'0" and use a 20", set at about 1/3rd of it's potential. (the Madstad brackets allow for up/down adjustment).The OEM tilt is set midway, seat at high position. The shield is set at my mouth level and airflow just kisses top of my helmet for ventilation.I could easily set it so I'm looking through the shield (using the madstad brackets and/or the tilt), but not necessary because the laminar flow built into the design carries the flow higher than it would be otherwise..

I also have a 18" narrow shield that I set a tad higher for summer and that too clears my helmet so anything taller than 20" for me would be overkill. I would judge that the 20" would work for those up to 6-1,maybe 6-2, those over should consider the 22".

Other thing I like is it's rock solid,even on rough roads and you can bolt a RAM mount to be base plate to position your GPS directly over the instrument pod.
Hey tampajim. Thanks so much for replying.
how much did madstad cost? And are you based in Tampa I suppose?
It would be awesome to test rude one of these.
samson70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #3543
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Madstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson70 View Post
Hey tampajim. Thanks so much for replying.
how much did madstad cost? And are you based in Tampa I suppose?
It would be awesome to test rude one of these.

The Madstad shield costs around $280 with slight variations depending on size, tint, etc. It is a little expensive but you are getting complete adjustability, a very good laminar flow system (no vacuum) and I must say it is of the highest quality, base is black power coated aluminum, stainless brackets and the shield itself is thick aircraft acrylic with no distortion. I have the light gray tint which cuts down the road glare but allows full vision at night.

Mark is a very friendly guy. Call or email him and he might can put you in contact with somebody in your area so you can see his system in person.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #3544
M Bouthillette
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Question for you guys, I'm getting a set of Heidenau K60 for my TEX and was wondering if I needed risers on my front fender . Also I'm looking for something to protect my rear shock, what is there on the market that you would consider relevant ?

Thanks
M Bouthillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #3545
Pacific
Left Coast Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
K60

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Bouthillette View Post
Question for you guys, I'm getting a set of Heidenau K60 for my TEX and was wondering if I needed risers on my front fender . Also I'm looking for something to protect my rear shock, what is there on the market that you would consider relevant ?

Thanks
I've been thinking about the K60s, as I liked them a lot on my 800XC. Let us know what think of them. I don't believe you'll need to raise the front fender. There are huggers on the market to help protect the shock, but you won't want one of those if you're taking it off road. I have ordered a rear splash guard from Palmer Products. Still waiting for the Christmas log-jam to let it through in the mail.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #3546
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Bouthillette View Post

Thanks
I would definately put the fender riser on. In fact, I'm going to but would like one twice as high as the one I've seen. As far as a shock protector, a homemade one is the only thing I've seen that I would consider for my TEX. Here's a pic of mine. PM me if you want any details on it.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #3547
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 400
Maybe a TEX for me?

I found a lightly used TEX with about 7k miles on it sitting down at my favorite dealer. Said he'd give me a figure I'd be happy with for my '08 Sprint so the price is right. But I have a few questions for those of you that have been riding these bikes for a while now.

How much of the 10k service can I do myself without special tools? I have pretty much done all maintenance on my KLR but so far have shied away from doing anything on the Sprint. I think it is time to change my perspective.

How many miles do you get out of the stock tires and what did you change to if you did change them? I will definitely be including plenty of dirt roads in my rides. The K60's sound interesting but I hear they suck in mud and sand.

As is the bike has a few of the farkles I would add if I purchased a new one (fog lights, heated grips, crash bars) but oddly it is missing a skid plate. Which model skid plate do you all prefer and why?

Anyone experiment with different fork springs yet? Early reviews of this bike seemed to imply that the front end was too soft for off-road use. In my limited experience on a generous test ride, which included some bumpy rutted non-flat dirt roads, I felt that the bike handled just fine and was sure footed in the dirt even going down steep downhills with tight turns.

I was waiting for the XC but I am not sure I can wait another 4 months and since the only real difference is the wheels and a few farkles at a reduced package price I don't see the point, especially with the deal I am looking at. According to my dealer the spoked wheels won't be all that expensive if one wanted to replace them after they are available. He quoted me $400-something for the front and $800-something for the rear.
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #3548
snakeroll
n00b

Oddometer: 6
triumph explorer coolant

The HD4X Hybrid OAT is the reccomended coolant for the Triumph Explorer. What do you guys use that you can get from some place like AutoZone and not the "stealer ship". Any thoughts?
snakeroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #3549
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
I changed oil/filter myself and paid $180 (all I paid to date) for 10K service. I'm at 18000 miles now and did have valves adjusted at 16K under warranty (I bitched too much), now will change oil/filter at 20K myself... Maybe I'll change air filter myself as well (requires tank removal)... Did asked to change spark plugs at 10K so will skip 20K plugs...

So far - I like owning the Explorer, cheap maintenance, powerful, reliable, cool looking, so am I on it :)

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:57 AM   #3550
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
For all of you owners who have some miles on the bike do you feel the front forks work ok as or does the fork really require compression and rebound dampening adjustments?
If it does require adjustments have you found any cost effective aftermarket options?
Ditto on rear shock, how does it work and if you have gone aftermarket what was your solution?

Has anyone found any way to strip any noticeable weight off the bike? I would assume swapping the stock muffler would save some weight?

How are all of the handle bars controls and switches holding up?

Never had a Truimph before and was wondering how these bikes are working out?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #3551
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Controls are OK, it hasn't been a year yet but I don't see any problems.

I have no problems with front forks, neither I did with my Vee before but people kept telling me they suck.

I like OEM exhaust can and don't worry about stripping weight down.

It's my first Triumph too. And I have a great relationship with my dealer and don't hesitate to buy stuff from them even its a little more expensive.

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #3552
gregdee
Motocampist

[QUOTE=Kenbike;20400146
How are all of the handle bars controls and switches holding up?

Never had a Truimph before and was wondering how these bikes are working out?[/QUOTE]

It's not quite the same but I can speak for Triumph quality. I have an '08 Sprint and I've only ever had one issue with anything at all. The fuel gauge was way off shortly after buying the bike and it was replaced under warranty. Otherwise, I have not had any issues but the rubber on the buttons on the dash is starting to deteriorate. The rubber isn't visibly cracking or anything but it is just starting to get that tacky feel to it. The bike does sit outside when I ride it to work but that's probably been fewer than 100 days. The NM sun is brutal on anything plastic or rubber.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #3553
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Thumb

I've had mine since May and haven't had any trouble at all with it. I did put on a Scorpion aftermarket can. It weighs a lot less and I like the sound a lot better. The OE can sounds great on the road, but when tooling around town with it, it really sounded anemic IMO. Scorpion claims an additional 6 hp and some additional torque, but it's hard to tell when she's already putting out 135 ponies.

I'm not sure there's anyplace else to strip weight without taking away the purpose of having a bike like this. It's already got more horsepower than the average Joe can handle off road... The 800XC is much more capable for serious offroading.

It's my 1st Triumph also. After owning several Kaws, Zukes, Yammys, and Hondas all I can say is World Class.

Big Jon screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 08:03 PM
Big Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #3554
gregdee
Motocampist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
....I'm at 18000 miles now and did have valves adjusted at 16K under warranty (I bitched too much), .. Maybe I'll change air filter myself as well (requires tank removal)... Did asked to change spark plugs at 10K so will skip 20K plugs...

So far - I like owning the Explorer, cheap maintenance, powerful, reliable, cool looking, so am I on it :)
How on earth do you get the dealer to adjust valves under warranty, especially at 16k miles? Was there something that prompted you to bring the bike in at that mileage? To me the valve adjustment is a known upfront item that will need to be dealt with. Or is it expected that they just be checked and if they need adjusting then that would be a warranty item. I would assume the labor effort involved in checking or adjusting would be similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
...Maybe I'll change air filter myself as well (requires tank removal)... Did asked to change spark plugs at 10K so will skip 20K plugs...
Is the tank removal and air filter change that much of a pain? Is it like the 800 XC where the air filter is stuffed into a spot it barely fits into? Anyone have any pictures of where the air filter sits?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #3555
Voluhzia
iExplorer

I had concerns about engine noise, dealer, at my request contacted Triumph USA and they authorized to remove the head cover and adjust valves and timing. All three exhaust valve tappet shims were replaced.

I don't thing the air filter change is a pain, but tank removal with all the draining, pinching and stuff...

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer