93 Centimeters!

Yes. lids clear the top box

Everything is Amazing and No one is Happy

sleepyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:58 AM   #3707
Tropical Bird
From the front line

Oddometer: 1,004
The more I ride this bike, the more I love it.

The FI, the drive train, the handling....perfect.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:10 AM   #3708
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Bird View Post
The more I ride this bike, the more I love it.

The FI, the drive train, the handling....perfect.

Great shot great theme

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #3709
Tripletrouble
Farkle addict

Oddometer: 71
sleepyOwl, did you have a white MTS before the Tex? I recognise the houses in your picture?
Tripletrouble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:49 AM   #3710
sleepyOwl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletrouble View Post
sleepyOwl, did you have a white MTS before the Tex? I recognise the houses in your picture?
Yes Nige....tis me!

Enjoying the Tex (especially the heated seats!)

Everything is Amazing and No one is Happy

sleepyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #3711
Tripletrouble
Farkle addict

Oddometer: 71
Ah. Is a heated seat an option then? Most excellent if it is! Had the Touring seat sorted so it no longer leaks, just need to get into Europe now, I need to tour!!
Tripletrouble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #3712
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Those with the heated grips, does the bike have to be running for them to power on?

I was reading through the instructions and it said during the start up procedure, it would perform a self check and illuminate the switch to the different colors.

Got mine installed, turned the key on(without starting) and Im not getting any power.

I didnt wanna start it and for just a few minutes of idling then shut it off. And we got 2" of snow today so heading out for a test ride was out of the question.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #3713
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Yes, you turn ignition on, you see lamps and ODO needle and pump buzz, then you start up the engine and heated grips play on/off

I just did a video for you, uploading

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

Old 03-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #3714
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you. I was getting a little worried, but when I checked the plug itself for any power, it wasnt getting any either. So I knew atleast it wasnt the grips themselves.

Took me maybe 2 hours installing them. Dunno what all the fuss was about. Longest part was running the wires down along the rest of the wiring loom and getting the side tank cover off to access the factory plug right there on the side of the frame. No idea why they say to pull the entire tank off.

Supposed to be in the high 40's and 50's by the end of the week. Hopefully get it out and try those and my heated jacket liner out.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #3715
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Here it is... Funny half way I realized I needed two hands to start the engine while taking video http://youtu.be/yX9-K6x52TE

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

Old 03-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #3716
RightCross101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I just test rode the explorer and was generally pleased. The handling was quite good and the braking was excellent.

I felt you had to be high in the revs to see the performance. It was also kinda vibey in the bars. The seat was so/so. I didnt like the throttle feel, but maybe it was that demo bike.
RightCross101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #3717
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannonball8 View Post
Replaced the original Tourance EXP's last week at 4000 mi. -
---snippage---
I put on a set of the new Michelin Anakee 3's
---snippage---
These tires feel good on the road, but new tires always do. I'll report back after I get some miles on them in some warmer weather.
I just put on an Anakee 3 on the back of mine. Had to replace the stock at 650 miles as the 2" wood screw accessory I picked up in a home depot parking lot proved unpatchable.

Put the Anakee 3 on the bike Thursday and rode a 1000 miles in 24 hours last night (Yes I'm one of those people). Tire is a great street tire. Grips well in the corners, zero slippage in the rain, and after 1000 miles still looks like new. A good 800 miles of that was freeway, no signs of flattening out. No clue about the dirt. Only rode about 40 feet in a gravel parking lot

If it continues to wear as well as it has so far I will make it my regular tire.
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Rustic Roads Century Progress
lonerockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #3718
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
Here it is... Funny half way I realized I needed two hands to start the engine while taking video http://youtu.be/yX9-K6x52TE

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
Wow man. Thanks. That was way more than expected! I love this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightCross101 View Post
I just test rode the explorer and was generally pleased. The handling was quite good and the braking was excellent.

I felt you had to be high in the revs to see the performance. It was also kinda vibey in the bars. The seat was so/so. I didnt like the throttle feel, but maybe it was that demo bike.
Both the demo and my own bike rode the same. If your not used to ride by wire, it definitely feels different. Took a couple rides to get used to it. Most guys love it after that. Me included. You do get some vibs around 5K. Its not a goldwing.

I personally love the seat. Again, took a few miles in the saddle to get used to it. Nothing personal, but most of the guys that seem to complain about it seem to be a bit, um.. robust. Ive seen some of the huge aftermarket seat pans that just ruin the look of the bike and seem better fitted on a touring Harley. But hey, its your bike do what you want.

As far as performance, its got a TON of tq across the board. Power is very very linear, but you do start making some HP above 5K. However, cruise around the highway in 6th around 50 mph, shes got plenty of tq to just accellerate to pass someone or pull away without the need to downshift. The motor does love to rev, and pulls HARD when you do. But there is no need or any lack of performance low in the rpms.

This bike could have a rev limit of 6K and would still have enough power for most riders.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #3719
Tropical Bird
From the front line

Oddometer: 1,004
Exactly! A superbly flexible engine.

Pulls about 3700 RPM in 6th at 60 MPH (100 km/hr).
Old 03-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #3720
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 362
Really getting to know the bike

I took last week off from work and ended up doing about 2500 miles in 8 days. I was on my TEX and the wife was on her 800XC. We live in central New Mexico and headed down to Big Bend National Park. The days were mostly long and the weather was mostly windy but warm enough to be out. We did a lot of highway getting there and back but got in a fair share of dirt in the Big Bend area. I was really surprised and how well the big beast did in the dirt. Ride report to follow at some point in the near future but for now here are some thoughts with regard to my TEX and the goodies I've hung from it.

Bike with the stock seat was super comfy though after 8 days I was ready to not be riding.

I am running the Hidenaeu K60 Scouts. Lowered to the mid 20 psi range they performed flawlessly on rocky loose bumpy chunky stuff and even in a little sand. I did end up in one section of very soft sand but just paddled my way around and got back to ground that would actually support me.

The OEM skid plate is a bit banged up but I'd say it did its job well. I also have the Palmer Products plate that mounts to the center stand. This too took a few good hits so I say if you are going to ride off pavement then this is not a bad piece of protection to add to your bike.

The Madstadd windscreen works great so long as you are not fighting a stiff crosswind all day long. I rode for hours with my visor up with the wind blowing parallel to my direction of travel.

When passing through endless sections of straight highway like is common in far West Texas I found it necessary to try different positions to stay comfortable (and keep from getting bored). You can actually rest your calf in boots on the Triumph crash bars, sort of like highway pegs. I rode like this for ~10 minute stretches several times. Sliding your butt all the way to the back of the seat gives a nice change of position. I felt control was lacking but when the roads are this straight, flat, and uncrowded handling is not that much of a concern. There really is a store in the middle of freaking nowhere that sells Prada, at least that's what I think the sign said as I blew past it at 80 mph. The speed limits in that part of the country are fairly gracious and the only cop I saw the entire trip blew past me in the dark while I was doing 80 somewhere between Carlsbad, NM and Pecos, TX. My radar detector was going nuts but that was the speed limit.

Radar detector run through a Sena SR10 hub works well so long as you remember to keep the hub charged up. There is no indication that it is not powered, short of not noticing a tiny blue light not flashing. The Sena's come with a standard cigarette lighter plug, not a Powerlet so an adapter is needed. The unit is charged quickly from the power port in front of the tank in just a couple of hours.

The Sena SMH10-R communicators work well so long as it's not too windy. We both wear Arai XD-3 helmets and have found wind noise to be a bit of a problem even with the foam covered boom mic installed. We figured out that just slowing down to a reasonable speed of 30-40 mph allowed us to communicate what we needed to say. Range was OK but being separated by hills or turns were more of an issue.

The OEM heated grips seem to cycle. Others have reported that they don't seem to get that hot. In my experience the gloves you are wearing matters a lot. With thinner leather gloves the high setting did get to be too hot. With heavier insulated leather gloves the high setting worked well even with temps in the mid 30's. My wife stated she had the same experience with hers.

I put on a set of SW Motech pegs just before the trip because I wanted a wider platform for extended periods of standing. I can only find one way to fit the springs but they push up on the pegs as I have them mounted. This makes it awkward to move your feet around to find the right position because you must lift your feet quite high off of the pegs and then reposition them, hoping you land where you wanted. Does anyone else experience this or did I mount the springs incorrectly?

The trick of killing the engine using the side stand while in gear to save your TTC and ABS settings really works. Riding with TTC off is "exciting" but I am not sure that I really want to do this while riding in the dirt. With TTC turned off there is a ridiculous amount of power coming out of the rear wheel and while spinning the rear wheel effortlessly for miles can be fun, having TTC set to 02 was more my speed. I was able to smoothly climb steep sections out of washes and around uphill switch backs without much trouble. With TTC set to 01 the sapping of power to the rear wheel was noticeable and frankly it was annoying.
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote