ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #3811
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Hanson, MA
Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post
They look great Garrett! You've got one sharp looking TEX there.

Have you had anyone ride double with you since you installed the Jesse cases? They look like they may go forward enough to cramp a pillion's legs...
I Haven't had a pillion yet but I sat on the backseat myself and had plenty of legroom. In the photo above, they are in the forward position. You can slide them back 5 inches if you need more room.
__________________
'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer
GarrettRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #3812
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettRB View Post
You can slide them back 5 inches if you need more room.
They leave a lot of room when you slight them back. Works pretty well.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #3813
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Big Jon's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: SW Iowa
Oddometer: 263
Cool. I didn't know they slid. I tried to price them for my TEX before I actually bought it, but they weren't sure when they would be available for sale so I stayed with the OE Triumphs. I like the looks of the Jesse cases better though...
__________________
JON
Big Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #3814
littlefield
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: SE Texas
Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByU06 View Post
Ok. I thinking about buying the stock foglights. So my Q to U that have them how do U like them, how do they light up the road. Pictures would be good.
Tia
I'm sure they work fine. I used the Triumph switch, wiring, integrated relay, etc. to power some PIAA 510's.
littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #3815
Tropical Bird
From the front line
 
Tropical Bird's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Oddometer: 1,004
That is the standard Madstad screen.

Here is the closest thing I have to a cockpit shot.

__________________
Sound, sound the clarion, fill the fife! To all the sensual world proclaim. One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name.
Tropical Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #3816
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,681
Thanks!
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:52 AM   #3817
NonDairyCreamer
incomprehensible
 
NonDairyCreamer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: a golden cage
Oddometer: 90
Can anyone post closeups of the Palmer adjustable screen option? Does anyone have experience with both for a comparison?

thanks
__________________
"Which will you have: wise madness or foolish sanity?" Cervantes' Don Quixote
NonDairyCreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #3818
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Hanson, MA
Oddometer: 190
Has anyone played around with the traction control? When do you use the different modes? So far I've been leaving it on the default mode and haven't had any issues. The only dirt I've taken it on is hard pack gravel roads.
__________________
'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer
GarrettRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 AM   #3819
Voluhzia
iExplorer
 
Voluhzia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,597
Unless you're at pro drifter I'd keep it on, or if you ride off road through sand and river crossings...


Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #3820
BlueByU06
Ribbon Rider
 
BlueByU06's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Coast of Cal
Oddometer: 239
Well just got brackets for the Trax cases and this is my first ride with them on. So here's a picture. Will be heading to Hell's Kitchen on Hwy 74 on Sat. Will be mounting Pelican 1550 on the rack I made and a small backrest for the wife to lean on. Need to get it all adjusted for our trip to Jasper Nat. park this summer.
__________________
The Mountains Are Calling ME and I must Go.
Vietnam Vet. 68-69
2013 Triumph 800xc
BlueByU06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #3821
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByU06 View Post
Well just got brackets for the Trax cases and this is my first ride with them on. So here's a picture. Will be heading to Hell's Kitchen on Hwy 74 on Sat. Will be mounting Pelican 1550 on the rack I made and a small backrest for the wife to lean on. Need to get it all adjusted for our trip to Jasper Nat. park this summer.
Don't miss the Ice Fields Parkway.



Bow Glacier

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #3822
Boricua
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Parker, CO (Suburbia, Generica USA)
Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
I agree that the stock windshield has to go. I'm counting the days before I have enough coin for a Madstad purchase. I'm 5'10" with a long torso and 32" inseam. I keep the seat in the low position and have very good reach to the ground. I traded a 2008 BMW F800ST for the TEx because a recent injury left the sport-touring riding posture too uncomfortable for long-ride enjoyment. TEx fixes that for me, and the standing posture is good for easy-paced gravel road riding. I love the twisty road handling of the TEx -- wide handlebars give so much leverage. Slow speed riding not a problem, but I'm also a trials rider -- YMMV. I did not consider a BMW GS because I was frustrated with the German switch gear (now upgraded, I understand) and the exorbitant cost of BMW parts, accessories, and service.

I have the touring shield. The buffeting above 70 MPH was bad. Search over the tiger-explorer forum and someone came up with the $2 solution to the $200 problem. Sunday I put one inch spacers in the bottom two attachemnt points. You'll need to get longer screws to do it. Seems that the gap between the bottom of the shield and the fairing allows enough airflow to break the low pressure bubble behind the screen that causes the buffeting. The ride to work this morning felt a bit better. However, traffic called for a slower than usual speed. Will know if it really makes when I ride home tonight. Taking the long route to get to highway speed and verify.
Boricua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #3823
AtlantaDR
Anything on 2 Wheels
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: North Atlanta
Oddometer: 130
Buffeting

I had the same issue at high speeds. Added the spacers and it helped a little. A couple of weeks ago I added a Laminar Lip. Best possible solution for me. Solved the high speed buffeting and I can take it off and toss it in the trunk when I am off-road or at lower speeds. Loving it.
AtlantaDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #3824
E.O.T.D.
Adventurer
 
E.O.T.D.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettRB View Post
Has anyone played around with the traction control? When do you use the different modes? So far I've been leaving it on the default mode and haven't had any issues. The only dirt I've taken it on is hard pack gravel roads.
Iv'e messed with mine a little. On hard packed dirt roads I would leave it on all the way unless you want/ are ready for a little wheelspin like mentioned.

On the "level 2" it will let the wheel spin just a little but will still interfere. I thought I would want it turned off completely when off the pavement after riding dirtbikes for 20+ years but I think it works nice in the Level 2 while still allowing a little bit of slip.

I think the only time you will need this is on something you would call a Trail not a dirt road, and probably only at lower speeds. I ventured onto some power line trails and it seems to climb a steep hill really well in the level 2 setting, especially since i still have the oem tires...

this is about as far "off road" as I have had mine so far...
[IMG]pwr lines3[/IMG]

[IMG]pwr lines2[/IMG]
E.O.T.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #3825
ridenm
not waiting anymore
 
ridenm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Carnuel, NM USA
Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
I have the touring shield. The buffeting above 70 MPH was bad. Search over the tiger-explorer forum and someone came up with the $2 solution to the $200 problem. Sunday I put one inch spacers in the bottom two attachemnt points. You'll need to get longer screws to do it. Seems that the gap between the bottom of the shield and the fairing allows enough airflow to break the low pressure bubble behind the screen that causes the buffeting. The ride to work this morning felt a bit better. However, traffic called for a slower than usual speed. Will know if it really makes when I ride home tonight. Taking the long route to get to highway speed and verify.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaDR View Post
I had the same issue at high speeds. Added the spacers and it helped a little. A couple of weeks ago I added a Laminar Lip. Best possible solution for me. Solved the high speed buffeting and I can take it off and toss it in the trunk when I am off-road or at lower speeds. Loving it.
I have already added spacers with no noticeable effect on the buffeting I'm experiencing. IMHO, (lacking a wind tunnel to verify) the problem is the shape of the standard windscreen as it narrows at the top. Does the touring screen have the same shape? As I ride I can feel the turbulence as a horizontal force on either side of my helmet (the Arai sideplates probably don't help either). I imagine that if the shield was the same or nearly the same width at the top as the bottom the closing of the airstream would happen either further out or further back, leaving my helmeted head in relatively still air. Pictures I've seen of the Madstad show it is indeed wider at the top, and I intend to go taller than stock as well.
__________________
I've learned to live with reduced expectations--I'm a Vikings fan.
ridenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014