View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #3856
NCGS
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 1,185
My buddy picked up a new Explorer XC today.. I reeeeeally like that bike. The way Triumph laced the wheels to the hubs is something I've never seen. Spectacular.

He's gonna put the break-in miles on it, then he's gonna let me play. I've ridden a standard Explorer, and I love the motor. The XC may be a step up.

This could cost me some money.

Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many.
NCGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #3857
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGS View Post
The way Triumph laced the wheels to the hubs is something I've never seen. Spectacular.
In the photos they look pretty much exactly like the wheels from the Super Tenere XT1200Z. And some people complain that they are fairly soft ... I wouldn't be surprised if they came from the same supplier.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:08 AM   #3858
BurgerDave
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGS View Post
My buddy picked up a new Explorer XC today.. I reeeeeally like that bike. The way Triumph laced the wheels to the hubs is something I've never seen. Spectacular.

He's gonna put the break-in miles on it, then he's gonna let me play. I've ridden a standard Explorer, and I love the motor. The XC may be a step up.

This could cost me some money.
An XC is a standard Explorer in green paint, with some wire wheels and other extras. In what way do you imagine it's a step up? Just curious :)
Old 04-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #3859
Edder B
Meister Poser

Oddometer: 366
First Impressions of My Tiger Explorer

I couldn't take the twitchy throttle of my old KTM 990 anymore and started looking for a new all purpose, two up, touring/dual sport bike. I've owned several GS's, have ridden the BMW 800GS, Triumph Tiger 800XC, and Ducati Multistrada extensively while guiding tours. Out of those bike the Ducati is my dream bike but is priced out of my range. The bike that came in second was the Triumph 800XC. I really like the GS but BMW burned me and I'll never own one again. So it was off to the dealer. They had two XC's and two Explorer's, one being an XC. I rode both and fell in love with the Explorer but the 800 was so much fun to ride too. I struggled for days over which one to buy. I spent hours reading and googling the internet. My concerns were that I had ridden the 800 and liked it. I had not ridden the 1200 but it seemed to make more sense as a two up touring bike. Here were my concerns:
The 800XC would be more fun one up and is more off road capable. I would be able to do more adventure type riding.
The 1200 seems better for two up comfort. I was worried about it being top heavy, heat from the motor and if I would ever venture off road with it.
It was coming down to the wire and I still couldn't make up my mind. I was awake all night trying to decide and the pendulum was on the 800XC side. Then, in the morning, I received an email from the office. I seldom get one and I opened it up. It was a youtube clip of our Laos/Cambodia tour. Guess what they were riding? Tiger Tiger Explorers. After watching the video my mind was made up. I'm buying the Explorer, or from now on referred to as TEX. Here's the video, http://youtu.be/o-0TjzBgzCU
So I went to the dealer and picked up my 2013 graphite TEX. I was very surprised how light it felt and the sporty response. Of course the first 100 miles I couldn't go over 3500 rpm so there was a lot of shifting and couldn't get into the power. As is the norm after buying a new bike, the weather got shitty and had to wait two days to go out for a longer ride. So on Sunday the wife and I went on a little 200 mile ride. I'm 6'2", 200lbs with a 34" inseam. I sit very comfortably on the bike as does my wife. She likes that she can actually see over my shoulder. The only thing I had added to the bike is the Givi top box. Of course the first 100 miles were killing me with not being able to go over 3500rpm. But I did find that I was comfortable and that the bike handles like a sport bike. During this time I thought this was going to be the first stock seat that I would not have to replace. The mirrors were great, no vibration. The information on the computer is very good and easy to go through with the controls on the left handlebar. The motor was great and smooth with just a touch of a whining sound and I did not notice any heat from the motor, but it was 55 degrees out.
Then I hit 100 miles and now I'm able to get up to 5000rpm. Oh what a difference! I now have power. The power band was level throughout and man, there's a lot of it. At 135hp it felt great. Not as much power as the Multi but close. I cornered like it was on rails. The only fault that I can find was at 100 miles the seat became unbearable. Both my wife and I were in pain. The seat has a ridge down the middle and it really starts to hurt on the inside of the butt cheeks. The bike was real sensitive with any movement my wife made and when the seat started to bother her she was moving around a lot. I've always said that I have a Corbin butt and I see another one on the horizon. Also after a while the windscreen became annoying. Its just like the '07 GS that I had. Its to far forward from the rider so that the wind comes down and buffets your helmet. Again, this can be fixed with after market equipment.
So after 200 miles I'm in love with this bike. I will continue to comment as I get more miles, or as Voni would say, smiles.

"If you try to pass me you will die. I ride at the limit". Sigi Hoffman.

BMW F800GT, Triumph Scrambler
Edder B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #3860
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,316
if the Ducati is your dream bike why not just get that, isn't the Triumph priced right on top of the base MTS1200?

Good to hear Triumph has a winning combination with their new Adv bikes!
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #3861
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,666
The TEX seems to be a great fit for you especially given your measurements. Did your wife ride with you on the 990? What a difference from the KTM twin to this triple?! I would honestly suggest getting a local shop to reshape the seat if I were you
Dubl-A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #3862
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 347
A twitchy throttle was the one thing I couldn't get used to when I test rode an Explorer early last year. I guess that's been fixed for 2013? It was a very nice machine otherwise.

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #3863
shaner1100gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
I have a Corbin on my Tex and it's awesome.

Shane
shaner1100gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #3864
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Madstad will fix the windshield problem.

I think the seat is pretty good-not great but not bad enough to warrent a 4-500 dollar replacement. I do use a sheepskin.

You think it has power now, wait till it's broken in and you can really wind it up. Scared the shit out me the first (and only) time I really cranked it! She was doing over 100 and still in third gear. Great for passing though.

15,000 miles and no problems other than tires. Leaving on my spring trip tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #3865
Edder B
Meister Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
if the Ducati is your dream bike why not just get that, isn't the Triumph priced right on top of the base MTS1200?

Good to hear Triumph has a winning combination with their new Adv bikes!

The touring version of the Multistrada, which is the one I lust for, is $23K.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #3866
Edder B
Meister Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
The TEX seems to be a great fit for you especially given your measurements. Did your wife ride with you on the 990? What a difference from the KTM twin to this triple?! I would honestly suggest getting a local shop to reshape the seat if I were you

Yes, my wife rode on the 990 and liked it very much, except for the bronco type ride resulting from the twitchie throttle.
The TEX is like night and day from the 990. Smooth and fast.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #3867
Edder B
Meister Poser

Did another 150 miles today. Loving it more and more. Now to get rid of the chicken strips . I tried mounting my Motolights but the brake caliper has a strange shape and will not allow them to mount. Even with spacers. I'll have to figure something out. Any suggestions on mounting brackets?

Old 04-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #3868
HelmetHead Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edder B View Post
Did another 150 miles today. Loving it more and more. Now to get rid of the chicken strips . I tried mounting my Motolights but the brake caliper has a strange shape and will not allow them to mount. Even with spacers. I'll have to figure something out. Any suggestions on mounting brackets?
Give Tina a call at Motolight. She can help. You need the radial mount.
HelmetHead Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #3869
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by WormShanks View Post
A twitchy throttle was the one thing I couldn't get used to when I test rode an Explorer early last year. I guess that's been fixed for 2013? It was a very nice machine otherwise.
There was nothing that needed fixing outside the riders need to be light on the throttle. Due to the fact it is a fly-by-wire setup and the motor has an extremely flat torque curve, the result of this is a very responsive throttle. Some added a heavy grease to the throttle tub to apply some resistance to it, for some it seemed to work out well enough they moved on. It took me all of about an hour riding to get the feel down and even at first gear crawls at red lights I have no trouble at all holding an RPM, you get used to it and it becomes normal. The idea of Triumph detuning the motor or adding a heavy spring just does not appeal to me, leave it be and get used to a bike who doesn't need to be strangled to accelerate.

Fasttrak
Ken
Old 04-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #3870
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Earlier this year Triumph put out a software update for the tex that made the throttle less twitchy. I never rode it before the update so I don't know how it compares but I find the throttle very easy to control.

Does anyone have the aluminum skid plate? What do you think of it?