ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #3931
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer
 
Hank.SD's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Sodak
Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGS View Post
After owning my XC for a week, and after logging 1500+ miles in that time, my only real complaint - one I intend to take up with my dealer - is what appears to be corrosion building on the spokes; all the spokes.

Unreal.. for this kind of money you'd think they'd put SS spokes on the fookin' bike.

I doubt Triumph will acknowledge the issue, or do anything about it, similar to their ignoring the issue with broken spokes on the left/rear wheel on Hinckley Bonnies.

But.. in the event a spoke goes and I end up assuming room temperature as a result of it, I want those left behind to have some concrete info to back up a claim against Triumph. This is simply ridiculous.

Other than that the bike is spectacular.


Its hard to imagine they don't have corrosion resistant spokes on an adventure bike... Wow. I'll be watching mine closely!
Hank.SD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #3932
AtlantaDR
Anything on 2 Wheels
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: North Atlanta
Oddometer: 130
Enjyed the XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
I'll keeping my ears open for anyone who takes this off road...especially with a touchy throttle...
I've been looking through youtube to see if anyone has really done any kind of off road with the new XC and can't find anything....
Anyone out there taken this off road yet? Impressions?
Thanks!
I had the use of an XC for 5 days last week in California. Spent about 3 hours one afternoon doing fire roads and some single track. The fire roads were rocky, rutted and had some good ups and downs to give it a pretty good test.

As someone who has been dual sporting for 30 years on bikes half the weight and CC's of the XC, I was pleasantly surprised. Even with the stock tires and no mods, the bike did really well. The throttle was a non-issue, but to be fair I have put about 10K on my personal Explorer, so I felt at home with it.

I experimented with the ABS and the Traction Control on and off. Although it was more fun with the TC off, it certainly was capable with it on, and for a newer rider it might even be preferred as it might keep you out of trouble.

The ABS never caused me any major problems either, although I enjoyed a more traditional experience with it turned off.

I did not find it top heavy as others have criticized. and never found myself in a spot where I thought it was too heavy to climb or descend.

The suspension did its job well and the front wheel did not wash out on me, even in what I would refer to as medium sand conditions.

I wish I had my Explorer with me that day so I could have ridden them back to back in the same conditions to see how they compared.

My summary would be that an XC in the hands of an experienced rider should provide tons of fun for all but the roughest conditions. With the right tires and with the suspension dialed in, I think the XC could take you farther off-road than you think. The only challenge I would anticipate would be picking the bike up if you dropped it on a hill.

I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.
AtlantaDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #3933
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer
 
TIGERRIDER007's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Acworth, GA
Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaDR View Post
I had the use of an XC for 5 days last week in California. Spent about 3 hours one afternoon doing fire roads and some single track. The fire roads were rocky, rutted and had some good ups and downs to give it a pretty good test.

As someone who has been dual sporting for 30 years on bikes half the weight and CC's of the XC, I was pleasantly surprised. Even with the stock tires and no mods, the bike did really well. The throttle was a non-issue, but to be fair I have put about 10K on my personal Explorer, so I felt at home with it.

I experimented with the ABS and the Traction Control on and off. Although it was more fun with the TC off, it certainly was capable with it on, and for a newer rider it might even be preferred as it might keep you out of trouble.

The ABS never caused me any major problems either, although I enjoyed a more traditional experience with it turned off.

I did not find it top heavy as others have criticized. and never found myself in a spot where I thought it was too heavy to climb or descend.

The suspension did its job well and the front wheel did not wash out on me, even in what I would refer to as medium sand conditions.

I wish I had my Explorer with me that day so I could have ridden them back to back in the same conditions to see how they compared.

My summary would be that an XC in the hands of an experienced rider should provide tons of fun for all but the roughest conditions. With the right tires and with the suspension dialed in, I think the XC could take you farther off-road than you think. The only challenge I would anticipate would be picking the bike up if you dropped it on a hill.

I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.
From the sounds of your comments, this XC can hold its own doing some exploring. Sounds promising, thanks for the comments.
__________________
Scott
06' Triumph Tiger (my lifer)
TIGERRIDER007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #3934
SeattleExplorer
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
I'll keeping my ears open for anyone who takes this off road...especially with a touchy throttle...
I've been looking through youtube to see if anyone has really done any kind of off road with the new XC and can't find anything....
Anyone out there taken this off road yet? Impressions?
Thanks!
Fair amount of forest service road riding on my 10 month old Tex. very little off-road before that, and I bought the Tex with whole idea to do multi-day road trips interspersed with forest service roads. Very happy with the Tex. Not trying severe single track rocky stuff yet, but turn off ABS/TC, deflate OEM tires to 22lbs, adjust handlebars up, and off you go. Putting on K60s this week.

Some have complained about multi-button process to turn off ABS and TC and fact that bike resets all to "on" by default when key turned off. I found that if you stop engine with kill switch (and don't touch key) ABS will stay turned "off". If you stop engine by lowering kickstand while in gear, both ABS and TC stay "off" ... Significant decrease in button hassle at those trail stops for rest and pics.

I've dropped it a few times, discovering the auto-shut-off feature. Depending on the landing position, one person with right technique can get the bike up, but fully loaded it is a bear. Always best to have someone else help.

Twitchy throttle? Got used to throttle in first 200 road miles. At 10k checkup got remap that settles throttle down even more. No throttle sensitivity concerns at all for me.

I don't think of the Tex as a dirt bike. More like a touring bike that's quite comfortable and capable for dirt-based touring.
SeattleExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #3935
XFBO
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: NNJ
Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I use the Purolator version - been using them on all my Triumphs for many years now with no problems at all. Interestingly, my Frontier uses exactly the same filter...
Any chance on sharing that Purolator part number?
XFBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #3936
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFBO View Post
Any chance on sharing that Purolator part number?
Purolator Pure One PL14612
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #3937
littlefield
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: SE Texas
Oddometer: 104
The new 1200's use the same oil filter as the 1050's. Lot of alternatives, I use a Mobil 1 110.
littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #3938
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer
 
TIGERRIDER007's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Acworth, GA
Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleExplorer View Post
Fair amount of forest service road riding on my 10 month old Tex. very little off-road before that, and I bought the Tex with whole idea to do multi-day road trips interspersed with forest service roads. Very happy with the Tex. Not trying severe single track rocky stuff yet, but turn off ABS/TC, deflate OEM tires to 22lbs, adjust handlebars up, and off you go. Putting on K60s this week.

Some have complained about multi-button process to turn off ABS and TC and fact that bike resets all to "on" by default when key turned off. I found that if you stop engine with kill switch (and don't touch key) ABS will stay turned "off". If you stop engine by lowering kickstand while in gear, both ABS and TC stay "off" ... Significant decrease in button hassle at those trail stops for rest and pics.

I've dropped it a few times, discovering the auto-shut-off feature. Depending on the landing position, one person with right technique can get the bike up, but fully loaded it is a bear. Always best to have someone else help.

Twitchy throttle? Got used to throttle in first 200 road miles. At 10k checkup got remap that settles throttle down even more. No throttle sensitivity concerns at all for me.

I don't think of the Tex as a dirt bike. More like a touring bike that's quite comfortable and capable for dirt-based touring.
Is there enough room for TKCs under the front fender? Would like to see a picture if you get one taken... I'll have to ride one again, to see if this might be on the short list...I'm liking the XC, with spoked wheels.
__________________
Scott
06' Triumph Tiger (my lifer)
TIGERRIDER007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #3939
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Big Jon's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: SW Iowa
Oddometer: 262
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Is there enough room for TKCs under the front fender? Would like to see a picture if you get one taken... I'll have to ride one again, to see if this might be on the short list...I'm liking the XC, with spoked wheels.

Touratech has come out with a front fender riser. It raises it about 1/2" & is well worth the money if you're going with any tire more aggressive than OE...

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...-Explorer-1200
__________________
JON
Big Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #3940
M Bouthillette
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal, Canada
Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post
Touratech has come out with a front fender riser. It raises it about 1/2" & is well worth the money if you're going with any tire more aggressive than OE...

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...-Explorer-1200
Here's what it looks like Also added a touch of color to my mags...

M Bouthillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #3941
ICOM
Adventurer
 
ICOM's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Oddometer: 13
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGS View Post
After owning my XC for a week, and after logging 1500+ miles in that time, my only real complaint - one I intend to take up with my dealer - is what appears to be corrosion building on the spokes; all the spokes.

Unreal.. for this kind of money you'd think they'd put SS spokes on the fookin' bike.

I doubt Triumph will acknowledge the issue, or do anything about it, similar to their ignoring the issue with broken spokes on the left/rear wheel on Hinckley Bonnies.

But.. in the event a spoke goes and I end up assuming room temperature as a result of it, I want those left behind to have some concrete info to back up a claim against Triumph. This is simply ridiculous.

Other than that the bike is spectacular.
I own a Yamaha Super Tenere, my spokes are POS. My Tenere is a 2013 and had about the same mileage as yours when I first noticed them corroding along with a lot of hardware on the bike. It looks to me the front wheel is the same exact wheel but the rear is different on your bike. Yamaha is replacing some under warranty but it is a big fight. Then there is the problem of getting them replaced correctly and the wheels remain true it is not a happy experience and if I could have gotten a ST with cast wheels I sure would have. Spoke are going to be a headache with both our bikes.
ICOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #3942
ridenm
not waiting anymore
 
ridenm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Carnuel, NM USA
Oddometer: 2,221
I'm familiar with two types of tubeless wire-spoked wheels. Trials bikes mostly use the kind with a flange on the rim, and the spokes connect to the flange (no rim penetration). I understand others have individual o-rings where each spoke fits directly into the rim. What kind does the XC use?
__________________
I've learned to live with reduced expectations--I'm a Vikings fan.
ridenm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #3943
St_rydr
Strider
 
St_rydr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Janesville, Wisconsin
Oddometer: 5,337
New Tex owner here. I got the faster graphite colored one. What have you all been getting for miles out of the stock tires before needing replacement? Hoping to get 10k miles this year without rubber expense.
__________________
"Only a rider knows how much a fellow rider suffers in the winter." - Rob1313

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #3944
element6
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 47
Changed out both within the last week with just over 11K miles on the clock. Front was down under 1/32" and rear was just over 2/32"

Situation forced replacement with Bridgestone BattleWings, which seem to have good reviews, but probably wouldn't have been my first choice. Have to wait and see how they work out.

Dave


Quote:
Originally Posted by St_rydr View Post
New Tex owner here. I got the faster graphite colored one. What have you all been getting for miles out of the stock tires before needing replacement? Hoping to get 10k miles this year without rubber expense.
__________________
Dave
Rochester, NY
Make time to ride, don't ride to make time.
element6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #3945
ICOM
Adventurer
 
ICOM's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
I'm familiar with two types of tubeless wire-spoked wheels. Trials bikes mostly use the kind with a flange on the rim, and the spokes connect to the flange (no rim penetration). I understand others have individual o-rings where each spoke fits directly into the rim. What kind does the XC use?
Spokes are connected to these flanges that are positioned down the middle of the rim and no penetration into the rim on the Tex & Tenere. The BMW's place their spokes on the outside lip of the tubeless rim.
ICOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014