Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #4096
Frostbit1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
I had read on the Tiger forum that the shim bucket pockets in the head are slightly over sized on affected units.

I have 2k miles on mine and I can hear a little noise (not sure I'd call it abnormal though). I am in the VIN range too.

My plan is to ride the crap out of it for at least a year before I worry about it.
Now that would explain the ticking noise, it that is in fact the case.
Frostbit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #4097
Frostbit1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
I'm not very knowledgeable about mechanical stuff but the shop where my head was replaced said my old head (at 15,000 miles) including valves, etc. was in excellent shape except that the valve guides had way too much slop. They swap over most of the old parts except for a few bits provided in the kit. As I said before, the difference is amazing.
This makes one wonder about two potential problems. Some word is that there are/is machining deficiencies in some heads where the cam buckets recess. Once apart, some motors are found to have sloppy valve guides.

On the other forum, owners say naked heads are coming from Triumph along with some loose miscellaneous parts. It sounds like ones original valves are fitted to the new head. I presume new guides are already installed at the factory.

I just find it odd that IF its cam bucket clearances AND guides, why on earth would Triumph not supply a complete head assembled with new valves and ready to bolt right on? As it stands, the tech has to remove the old valves and I would (hope?) cut and lap their faces to the new seats.

That is several more hours of labor Triumph is paying per bike. New valves are cheap in comparison.
Frostbit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #4098
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbit1 View Post
This makes one wonder about two potential problems. Some word is that there are/is machining deficiencies in some heads where the cam buckets recess. Once apart, some motors are found to have sloppy valve guides.

On the other forum, owners say naked heads are coming from Triumph along with some loose miscellaneous parts. It sounds like ones original valves are fitted to the new head. I presume new guides are already installed at the factory.

I just find it odd that IF its cam bucket clearances AND guides, why on earth would Triumph not supply a complete head assembled with new valves and ready to bolt right on? As it stands, the tech has to remove the old valves and I would (hope?) cut and lap their faces to the new seats.

That is several more hours of labor Triumph is paying per bike. New valves are cheap in comparison.
Sounds like a similar problem to the one some of the early FJR's had.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #4099
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Two Up?

Anyone have feedback from pillions on the TEX?
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #4100
Pacific
Left Coast Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
Anyone have feedback from pillions on the TEX?
Wife says it's the most comfortable bike yet. Previous included 2 BMWs (last one a 2010 GS), and a couple of Triumphs. Never asked her aboard the Honda XRL.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #4101
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbit1 View Post

No, my service manager made it seem like nothing was done other than transfer parts to the new heads, and reassemble.

When he called back, Triumph informed him that "bad gas" caused this, and that its pretty common on the explorers and the thunderbirds. That upon investigation, that has been their findings. That he was to media blast them, and reinstall the valves.

So, bad gas, on a motor with 7300 mi caused the intake valves to look like this? How are they gonna look in another 10k miles, 30k more miles?

Im pretty upset and was arguing with the service manager that his was unacceptable.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #4102
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post
No, my service manager made it seem like nothing was done other than transfer parts to the new heads, and reassemble.

When he called back, Triumph informed him that "bad gas" caused this, and that its pretty common on the explorers and the thunderbirds. That upon investigation, that has been their findings. That he was to media blast them, and reinstall the valves.

So, bad gas, on a motor with 7300 mi caused the intake valves to look like this? How are they gonna look in another 10k miles, 30k more miles?

Im pretty upset and was arguing with the service manager that his was unacceptable.

Sounds like maybe you should consider changing where you buy gas. I had twice as many miles as you and the dealer said "keep doing what ever you are doing" the valves looked like new and had no deposits . Used Chevron 87 octane almost exclusively, when ever it was not available, looked for another of the "top tier" brands. http://www.toptiergas.com/

I also give her a little extra snort of Techtron maybe every two-three months.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #4103
DonVulpes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
I had read on the Tiger forum that the shim bucket pockets in the head are slightly over sized on affected units.

I have 2k miles on mine and I can hear a little noise (not sure I'd call it abnormal though). I am in the VIN range too.

My plan is to ride the crap out of it for at least a year before I worry about it.
I have nearly 11k on mine.....and exactly the same thinking...it's doing 4k round Europe this summer and loads more before the warranty runs out....I'll make a decision over winter, when it's more likely to be laid up.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #4104
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
There was a white one in the local dealers. Very nice too. Think it's a 2014 colour scheme.
Was it an XC or standard TEX?

I'm thinking of getting an XC and having it painted white.
Any chance for a spy shot?
I hope they offer some colors in the next generation.
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #4105
sleepyOwl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post

There is a shot on the mcn link below if you scroll across the pics.

I think you can upgrade the wheels to spokes.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...cial-edition/#

Everything is Amazing and No one is Happy

sleepyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #4106
BurgerDave
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post

Old 06-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #4107
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Damn!

That Crystal White looks incredible, um, me likey!!
Thank you guys for the pics, and link, that really made my day!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #4108
BurgerDave
n00b

Oddometer: 9
This announcement was made at the beginning of June.

Triumph have announced more colours for 2013.

The Explorer now adds Crystal White and Matt Graphite to its existing colour options of Graphite and Sapphire Blue. (Note Black has gone).

The XC version is not left out and that adds a clean looking Crystal White/Matt Graphite combination and a striking Matt Graphite scheme to its existing Matt Khaki Green options.

All colours are now available to order from your dealer.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:52 AM   #4109
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Great, thanks for the update.

I think sometimes Triumph colors are conservative, but then what happened with Venom Yellow , which is a unique color and looks pretty good on the 800.
Overall we see a lot of grays, blues, blacks, and occasionally some whites.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:46 AM   #4110
Brocksamoyed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Explorer - Aus

Hi All,

Has anyone in Australia had their 1 Yr or 10K service? I am wondering if Triumph addressed the issues on the earlier delivered models re shim bucket pockets in head and sloppy valve guides? Looking at the adv rider and Triumph Rat threads, it would appear these issues are being addressed in other countries.

I emailed Triumph Aus a week ago, however have not heard anything back yet I also asked would Triumph give existing Explorer owners a discount on wired wheels.

Given all the great Triumph Aus contact we had when the Explorers came to Aus, I am surprised it’s been a week without a response.

2012 Triumph Explorer
2010 XTZ660 Tenere
1996 XR250 & 1994 XL185 (gone)
Brocksamoyed is offline   Reply With Quote