Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #4141
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Just curious, I can't remember if I asked this before, oops....

Are any of these head replacements on XC models? Or is this too new of a model to know yet?
...both models up to VIN 602960

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #4142
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
last 6 of my vin are 539123 but dealer says my bike doesnt fall in the recall ?
NewYorkLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #4143
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Raising the forks

Probably already covered somewhere in this monster thread, but I raised my forks 5mm and it substantially reduced that nervous feel the bike had at around 25-30 mph.

That was one of my few dislikes. The first few times I rode the bike I thought the front tire was low. It had a really vague feel at low speeds, most pronounced just below 30 mph.
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #4144
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Hope it is OK to post this here, but if anyone is interested, I have a set of SWM side-carriers and Trax adapters for the TEX for sale in the flea market:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900621

In this is a link to an explanation as to why they are for sale..
Old 07-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #4145
David Shapiro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Due to 2 recent neck surgeries, I'm reduced to riding my keyboard til next spring. Well, the Explorer has certainly caught my eye. along with the Multistrada and posssbly the new KTM 1190. Since I plan little or no dirt riding, the GS won't be an option. With all the reading that I can glean from this and the tiger explorer forum, has anybody heard of any new possible updates to the 2014 model years. In particular, is there a chance of putting the Trophy's electronic suspension on it. I'm also going to test ride the Trophy when the time comes, but it's almost 100 pounds heavier.

Thanks,
David
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #4146
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
Due to 2 recent neck surgeries, I'm reduced to riding my keyboard til next spring. Well, the Explorer has certainly caught my eye. along with the Multistrada and posssbly the new KTM 1190. Since I plan little or no dirt riding, the GS won't be an option. With all the reading that I can glean from this and the tiger explorer forum, has anybody heard of any new possible updates to the 2014 model years. In particular, is there a chance of putting the Trophy's electronic suspension on it. I'm also going to test ride the Trophy when the time comes, but it's almost 100 pounds heavier.

Thanks,
David
The Tiger and the Trophy share the same drive train but honestly they are worlds apart. Pick the right tool for your expectations.

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #4147
David Shapiro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by St_rydr View Post
The Tiger and the Trophy share the same drive train but honestly they are worlds apart. Pick the right tool for your expectations.

There is no doubt that you are completely right. Only some demo rides, unfortunately not til next spring, will help me decide. They both have very desirable attributes, but given a choice, I would always go lighter.

David
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #4148
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Thumb Got her back!

I brought my beloved TEX back from my dealer yesterday after getting the head replaced. All I can say is WOW...

If any of you are riding the fence about getting it done, my advice is just do it!

Both the owner and the Service Mgr. at my dealership were a bit skeptical about just how bad the noise was even after it was agreed to do the work, but told me before they tore the engine down they ran it side by side with a new TEX with the revised head from the factory, and neither one could believe how noisy mine was. After the headwork she purrs like a kitten. An added plus is we get an extra 12 month warranty on the engine.

Kudos to Triumph for making this right!
Old 07-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #4149
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,839
Handlebar Photo

Hey.

Could one of you Explorer owners do me a favor and take a photo of the handlebars from straight above? Like the one below (which is a Tiger 800 Road Version).

Many thanks!

cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #4150
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Who has a SW motech rack and trax panniers that can help out? This is the combo i want, but I'm worried with my shad top case i won't be able to open the side cases.

Could someone take some measurements of how wide they are/ measurements from the frame or somewhere on the bike?

Pics with a tape measure would be incredible.

Thanks guys

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #4151
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Hey.

Could one of you Explorer owners do me a favor and take a photo of the handlebars from straight above? Like the one below (which is a Tiger 800 Road Version).

Many thanks!

That work?

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #4152
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post
That work?
Thanks, yes, it works. Better photo than the ones I had found.

What I'm looking into the angle of sweep back the various Triumph handlebars have as I think some of my ergonomic issues with the Tiger are due to the handlebars being too straight.

I have a set of Explorer bars on order and will install them as soon as I have them in my hands. Hopefully that will solve my shoulder issues, that make me want to not ride the bike at all at the moment.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #4153
ongrade
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Thanks, yes, it works. Better photo than the ones I had found.

What I'm looking into the angle of sweep back the various Triumph handlebars have as I think some of my ergonomic issues with the Tiger are due to the handlebars being too straight.

I have a set of Explorer bars on order and will install them as soon as I have them in my hands. Hopefully that will solve my shoulder issues, that make me want to not ride the bike at all at the moment.
No pics but, I did the Explorer bar swap on my Tiger when I had it. The pull back on the TEX bars is about 1 1/2" more at the ends, really took the strain off my wrists.
ongrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #4154
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by ongrade View Post
The pull back on the TEX bars is about 1 1/2" more at the ends, really took the strain off my wrists.
It's the shoulders for me, not the wrists. I have no issues with hands or wrists or elbows but I still think it's coming from the too straight bars that get me into a bad posture.

And given that I'm sitting at a desk most of the day and torturing my body with office work anyways, that might just be enough to make it really bad. If I can't solve this, I'm not going to keep the Tiger and the Explorer is not an option for me.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:22 AM   #4155
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
It's the shoulders for me, not the wrists. I have no issues with hands or wrists or elbows but I still think it's coming from the too straight bars that get me into a bad posture.

And given that I'm sitting at a desk most of the day and torturing my body with office work anyways, that might just be enough to make it really bad. If I can't solve this, I'm not going to keep the Tiger and the Explorer is not an option for me.
What about ROX Risers? That seems to solve the problem for most TEX owners. It did for me.