Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #4261
ongrade
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
G R,

Have you actually had some come loose on the FD side that you had to tighten; if so what in/lbs. did you tighten them to, or did you just tighten them till they pinged the same as the others?

I had one lose the nipple completely at 2500 miles. All were loose, some very loose. I torqued them all to 40 in lbs. in an every third spoke pattern stepping up 15, 25, 40 in lbs. and then trued the wheels tightening as needed to bring the wheels true. Woody's tech told me 40-50 in lbs. was the target so using this method I stayed in this range. Spokes haven't loosened in 3000 miles since using this method.
ongrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #4262
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Pfy: ongrade is correct. I believe the S10 manual states 4ft lbs which would be 48in lbs. I personally never had any come loose but I know many on the S10 side of things had. I believe it comes down to how rough you are in the sense pf offroad/onroad, braking, hard throttle, and so on. For 32 I ride like an old man and never had any loosen up on me.
A few Italian bikes. A bunch of Japanese sport bikes. Many many bicycles before that.
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #4263
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Explorer Cruise Control Reset Proceedure

For any of you Explorer 1200 owners that took your bike in for warranty service and the shop updated the ECU, there is a good chance they did not perform the cruise control reset proceedure. Even if you had a slencer put on and they re-mapped it. My tech must of been a little preoccupied because he forgot to reset mine. I almost hauled it up for more service an hour each way. Instead, I reset it myself and saved a whole day of bullshoot.

I found out after I had the ticking head replaced and timing chain renewal. I came home and a few days later noticed the cruise did not work at all. I was in 4th gear, traveling over 40 mph and all of my cancelation switches (front brake, rear brake, clutch, and throttle) were not sticking. I could not get the green light to engage.

I posted the fix question on the TEX specific forum and this is what I got:

The reset sequence worked for me so is worth a try before you make the trip to the dealers.

No tools required. Also, no need to hold everything in at the same time. Just follow the proceedure.

The conditions are Ignition key on (engine not running) and cruise control switched off:
Activate front brake switch
Rear brake switch
Clutch switch
Twist grip switch (push the throttle in the closed position)
Activate cruise on/off switch
Cruise accelerate switch (+)
Cruise decelerate switch (-)

The green light will blink and then go out. Take her down your favorite straight road and give it a try.

It works............................................. ......................

The whole proceedure takes 15 seconds and if this was already posted, I apologize, but it's something we all should know.

Now if I could only find out how to get rid of the service spanner wrench on the dash.....
Rayzor61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #4264
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor61 View Post
For any of you Explorer 1200 owners that took your bike in for warranty service and the shop updated the ECU, there is a good chance they did not perform the cruise control reset proceedure. Even if you had a slencer put on and they re-mapped it. My tech must of been a little preoccupied because he forgot to reset mine. I almost hauled it up for more service an hour each way. Instead, I reset it myself and saved a whole day of bullshoot.

I found out after I had the ticking head replaced and timing chain renewal. I came home and a few days later noticed the cruise did not work at all. I was in 4th gear, traveling over 40 mph and all of my cancelation switches (front brake, rear brake, clutch, and throttle) were not sticking. I could not get the green light to engage.

I posted the fix question on the TEX specific forum and this is what I got:

The reset sequence worked for me so is worth a try before you make the trip to the dealers.

No tools required. Also, no need to hold everything in at the same time. Just follow the proceedure.

The conditions are Ignition key on (engine not running) and cruise control switched off:
Activate front brake switch
Rear brake switch
Clutch switch
Twist grip switch (push the throttle in the closed position)
Activate cruise on/off switch
Cruise accelerate switch (+)
Cruise decelerate switch (-)

The green light will blink and then go out. Take her down your favorite straight road and give it a try.

It works............................................. ......................

The whole proceedure takes 15 seconds and if this was already posted, I apologize, but it's something we all should know.

Now if I could only find out how to get rid of the service spanner wrench on the dash.....
That's an interesting feature. Is there any other reason someone would need to do this?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #4265
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by ongrade View Post
I had one lose the nipple completely at 2500 miles. All were loose, some very loose. I torqued them all to 40 in lbs. in an every third spoke pattern stepping up 15, 25, 40 in lbs. and then trued the wheels tightening as needed to bring the wheels true. Woody's tech told me 40-50 in lbs. was the target so using this method I stayed in this range. Spokes haven't loosened in 3000 miles since using this method.
ongrade;

Are you stepping up every 3rd spoke same side or just every 3rd spoke?
Do you use a truing stand ? Also what size is the TEX/S10 nipples? I just want to check my nipple torque wrench set to see if I have the correct size.(I don't have my XC yet); possibly Friday Sept. 6th; will do pics then.

ps. what did your dealer do for the 500mile(also how much $) checkup and is it necessary to maintain your warranty? I have to schedule it even before I get the bike.

TNX Geology Rocks
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #4266
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
The S10 is a 5mm allen i believe. I can check when i get home but i am almost positive thats the size. Its not a big deal and for me doest detract at all from the bike. Takes 5-10 minutes of work to make sure all are tight.:)

Congrats on the bike! Share lots of pictures!
A few Italian bikes. A bunch of Japanese sport bikes. Many many bicycles before that.
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #4267
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 324
After market levers

By now I assume some of you have broken your clutch levers. What have you used for replacement levers? Seems silly to put the same ones back on and have the ball break off the end again. I looked into some levers but there seems to be several choices out there. These look nice but I don't know anything about them. Anyone have any opinions or know of a good set to get?

And, are the Barkbuster's from Twisted Throttle the only choices out there for replacement hand guards?
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #4268
ongrade
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
ongrade;

Are you stepping up every 3rd spoke same side or just every 3rd spoke?
Do you use a truing stand ? Also what size is the TEX/S10 nipples? I just want to check my nipple torque wrench set to see if I have the correct size.(I don't have my XC yet); possibly Friday Sept. 6th; will do pics then.

ps. what did your dealer do for the 500mile(also how much $) checkup and is it necessary to maintain your warranty? I have to schedule it even before I get the bike.

TNX Geology Rocks
Start at the valve stem and then tighten every third spoke, then start at the second spoke past the stem and do every third spoke and then again starting at the third spoke after the stem. Step up the torque after each complete sequence until your at 40 in. lbs. Then tape an indicator on the fork or swing arm and rotate the wheel looking for out of true. Tighten spokes on the opposite side of the wobble until straight. Be careful and only take a 1/2 or 1/4 turn at a time and tighten several spokes on each side of the center of the wobble to bring it true. Check often as you do this. I mark the rim with a pencil where the wobble is center, and both sides so I can reference as I work. It takes an hour or so to tighten and true if its out of true.
ongrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #4269
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
We need more pics!

Stopped by to cast a few before riding home on Labor day.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #4270
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,010

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #4271
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Warning!

A Tiger at loose on the Cherohala!

It had already pounced on a few Harleys, and was being chased by a couple of Vstroms.!

But it still got away!!
Old 09-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #4272
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,503
Installed sport screen, nice laminar air flow

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #4273
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,010
Man, what great looking bikes!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #4274
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
Installed sport screen, nice laminar air flow

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
Is that a Triumph screen?

What goes on top of the left fog light?