This thread needs more pictures!
Oh yea?!

And one more..

Old 09-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #4264
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 474
Too clean

Your bikes are way too clean. Didn't you know that Tigers prefer the dirt? That's a weeks worth of bugs and dirt on my windscreen and headlights.

Wife and I just spent 8 days in the Utah desert. It rained - a lot - so we were forced to ride a little too much pavement as we kept running into stuff like this.

This picture was taken about 1/3 the way around the Cathedral Valley loop near Hanksville. We still wanted to hit Notom-Bullfrog and the Burr trail so we opted not to find a way through this stuff. I know that wash out doesn't look like much but for ya'll that have never had the pleasure that red mud is nasty stuff. It's slippery snot and sticks to everything.

And here's one of the Burr Trail climbing up towards Boulder:

Damn, that sure was a cool road. Must go back...

The rain continued for days. After stocking up in Moab (there's a decent liquor store there) we headed up into the La Sals to make camp somewhere near Geyser Pass. We had awesome skies on the way up.

.... but boy was it nasty up top. We had hoped to camp at the pass as there's a big ole huge grassy area there with plenty of nice primitive spots. It was raining pretty good and when I went to check out one spot I found the fire ring looked too much like a small pond. We rolled on and made camp on the drier east side down around 8000 feet well after dark.
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #4265
Misadventure-Brad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Here's a short video I took while putzin around in Michaux State Forest PA over the holiday weekend. Roads were pretty damp from a rain overnight, so I kept the "goosin" to a minimum. Video was taken with a Samsung Galaxy s4 active mounted to my dash behind the windshield. It does a decent job of picking up the engine noise from there. I shifted way down towards the end of the video so I could see how it sounded on the phone. Enjoy.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #4266
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Luckily the rain didn't hit us a little bit north of you last weekend. The weather was calling for rain all weekend, but didn't hit any till I was about 2 hours from home.

Pretty decent quality. Considering that's a cell, mounted on a motorcycle, through the windscreen.

Whats this yellow line that keeps creeping up though.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #4267
Tropical Bird
From the front line

Oddometer: 1,009
My bike goes in for the replacement head tomorrow.

Shall report back.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #4268
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,561
Gregdee...you ain't lying about the red mud out here!

First time going way out into the woods for a ride a 10 minute thunder shower came through and turned everything to Vaseline.....what took me 45 minutes to cover dry, took 3 step offs and 2.5 hours...... Now I understand why so many folks ride ATV's out here!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #4269
DonVulpes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Resting up on the shore on the Mohnesee in Germany, on the way round my recent European loop.

Bike was faultless and the tyres ( Dunlop TrailMax TR91 ) were superb and very hard wearing. Maybe a little less luggage next time though

Old 09-09-2013, 04:41 AM   #4270
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,565
Kev Carmichael vid in full. Sorry if it's a repost..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature....be&nomobile=1
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #4271
rlmankins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
New explorer

Picked up my Explorer Tuesday last. Been an interesting week. Live outside Las Vegas so you could say it gets warm. Initial impressions.

Amazing motorcycle. Tons of power, great brakes, handles like it is on rails. Put 500 miles on so far. Rode in torrential rain, need taller windscreen, 110 degrees, lots of heat off engine, can live with it but not pleasant, twisties, pick your line, adjust mid turn, very nice. Dirt not my Ktm but will do for intended purpose. I think a set of knobbies will fix most of my issues. Still getting used to it so a gradual transition to dirt is probably better anyway. Was in Death Valley yesterday and Titus canyon got tore up pretty bad from the rains but was able to make it through without dumping it. Was close a couple of times. If I had a clue how bad it was would have went around. Pretty normal luck for me. Will definitely have knobbies before I do something harebrained like that again. 180 miles, many 90 mph or above, 15 about 1 mph. 4 gallons of fuel, light came on 2 miles before fill up.

Overall very pleased. Been riding 53 years. Last 20 mostly super slab, but a Ktm here and there for variety. Cabo San Lucas and Alaska have been on my bucket list for a while, need the correct tool for the job. Bored with freeway, nice to have a bike I can go most places on. Since I live so far from anywhere it is important to be have something that I can do a 600 mile day on and still be able to get up in the morning. Hopefully I have found it.
rlmankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #4272
ridenm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,754
complaints

Took the TEx to look at some land down by Tajique. Had the wife on the back. Topped off the tank at the little general store, and I think may have got some bad gas. The TC light came on and the Check engine light came on a little while later. Definitely felt like the power was being limited electronically. Looking at the Tiger Explorer forum, looks like some folks have had problems with the throttle position sensor, but how that would relate if the gas was bad I dunno. Doesn't make any sense.

I have also been struggling with the folks at Jesse Luggage. They don't return calls or emails. The receptionist person no longer works there. I like the looks of their products but I'm thinking I may need to take my business elsewhere.

Thoughts?
Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #4273
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #4274
Edder B
Meister Poser

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post

+2

"If you try to pass me you will die. I ride at the limit". Sigi Hoffman.

BMW F800GT
Edder B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #4275
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmankins View Post
Picked up my Explorer Tuesday last. Been an interesting week. Live outside Las Vegas so you could say it gets warm. Initial impressions.

Amazing motorcycle. Tons of power, great brakes, handles like it is on rails. Put 500 miles on so far. Rode in torrential rain, need taller windscreen, 110 degrees, lots of heat off engine, can live with it but not pleasant, twisties, pick your line, adjust mid turn, very nice. Dirt not my Ktm but will do for intended purpose. I think a set of knobbies will fix most of my issues. Still getting used to it so a gradual transition to dirt is probably better anyway. Was in Death Valley yesterday and Titus canyon got tore up pretty bad from the rains but was able to make it through without dumping it. Was close a couple of times. If I had a clue how bad it was would have went around. Pretty normal luck for me. Will definitely have knobbies before I do something harebrained like that again. 180 miles, many 90 mph or above, 15 about 1 mph. 4 gallons of fuel, light came on 2 miles before fill up.

Overall very pleased. Been riding 53 years. Last 20 mostly super slab, but a Ktm here and there for variety. Cabo San Lucas and Alaska have been on my bucket list for a while, need the correct tool for the job. Bored with freeway, nice to have a bike I can go most places on. Since I live so far from anywhere it is important to be have something that I can do a 600 mile day on and still be able to get up in the morning. Hopefully I have found it.

2 suggestions. Madstad windshield and Heidenau K60 tires.