Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #4351
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
I think I would replace my wheels with spoked ones. I ride a fair bit of off-road so it just makes sense. I've been a cyclist for a very long time so trueing wheels is not something I am afraid of. I understand they will be slightly heavier than the mag wheels but again, it just makes sense for my usage.

After talking with the service guy at PJ's he seemed to think the slight hop I have found in my front wheel should not be enough to cause a harmonic vibration when between 70-75 mph. I noticed the vibration on my way home from my last big trip. I knew the tires were shot then with 10k+ miles on them so I replaced them. But the vibration was still there! Service guy says either the bead is not seated correctly - apparently it happens on the K60 Scouts since they're such tough tires - or something is going on with the bearings in the steerer. I'll take it in on Tuesday so they can have at it. Service guy said he'd start a warranty ticket. I love PJ's.
Let us know if you find anything @ PJ's
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #4352
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
Got out of the birthday party early enough that I was able to attempt to tackle the Madstad versus TT GPS mount. As I progressed to getting everything removed and began placing parts back on the bike I had brief moment of thinking it might all work out ok.
Fasttrak,

What about just using the 3 hole TT GPS standoff plate that the crossbar is on, with out the 4 hold mounting bracket. Can you maybe drill and mount it directly to the back of the robo bracket plate?
Old 09-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #4353
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
Fasttrak,

What about just using the 3 hole TT GPS standoff plate that the crossbar is on, with out the 4 hold mounting bracket. Can you maybe drill and mount it directly to the back of the robo bracket plate?
That would be a lot more work and in the end would most likely make it difficult to install remove when needed and more work than the few things I figured should work.

The first was to just drill out the four threaded studs on the Madstad plate and use button head cap screws of just enough length to mount the robo brackets.

Second, drill out the threaded studs on the Madstad plate and use some rivets to permanently mount the robo brackets. No reason they have to be removable anyway.

Third, find some hard plastic or stiff rubber grommets that fit the screws and just mount the madstad off the TT GPS plate enough to clear the threaded studs.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #4354
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Quote:

Third, find some hard plastic or stiff rubber grommets that fit the screws and just mount the madstad off the TT GPS plate enough to clear the threaded studs.
Well if you go this route I would suggest Delrin polymer washers. They would be stronger than plastic or even nylon(white ones at hardware store)

Let us know what you figure out
Old 09-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #4355
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
Well if you go this route I would suggest Delrin polymer washers. They would be stronger than plastic or even nylon(white ones at hardware store)

Let us know what you figure out
Pretty certain option one is going to be the route I take. I have most of the parts on hand and the only downside is it might be tougher to sell on secondary market and for that, I could care less. I really do not want to move the parts any further away from each other than they already are, plenty of space in there and sort of defeats the purpose of controlling the air-gap with the robo brackets by having more space being added to make parts fit. four 6mm x 6 or 8mm button head cap screws with some nyloc nuts should suffice. The only downside is you'll have to remove the entire mounting plate to remove the robo brackets and that is not so much a negative in my book.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #4356
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Quote:
Pretty certain option one is going to be the route I take. I have most of the parts on hand and the only downside is it might be tougher to sell on secondary market and for that, I could care less. I really do not want to move the parts any further away from each other than they already are, plenty of space in there and sort of defeats the purpose of controlling the air-gap with the robo brackets by having more space being added to make parts fit. four 6mm x 6 or 8mm button head cap screws with some nyloc nuts should suffice. The only downside is you'll have to remove the entire mounting plate to remove the robo brackets and that is not so much a negative in my book.
Well I hope it worksand afterward you can do a step-by-step
Old 10-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #4357
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Has anyone put a Jesse top box on their TEX yet? How was the installation? Does it make a good backrest for the passenger?
Old 10-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #4358
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Any suggestions on supporting the bike/front end without the wheels? Centerstand easily supports rear. But the majority of the weight is on the front end on the stand.

After 11k miles on the stockers, its time to replace the tires. Im just gonna pull them myself and drop them with the new tires off at dealer for mounting.

Usually you'd just support it off the skidplate/frame.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #4359
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
I just put all panniers on a toolbox on rear whole removing the front wheel... Then just shove small cooler under the forks while I change tire

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:16 AM   #4360
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post
Any suggestions on supporting the bike/front end without the wheels? Centerstand easily supports rear. But the majority of the weight is on the front end on the stand.

After 11k miles on the stockers, its time to replace the tires. Im just gonna pull them myself and drop them with the new tires off at dealer for mounting.

Usually you'd just support it off the skidplate/frame.
I put mine on the center stand, then put a bunch of weight on the rear rack to lift the front up and a stool under the plastic skid plate.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:35 AM   #4361
ongrade
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I use a couple ratchet straps to the rafters to hold the front up. But if you don't have an available warm body or a hell of a luggage load you're screwed on the roadside with a flat.
ongrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #4362
thanks4thefish42
Wannabe ADVrider

Oddometer: 48
Has anyone tried to add more spacers between the Cee Bailey and the bracket on the bike? I see that some riders have put spacers of 20mm or 30mm on the OEM screen and reported good results. I just got a 23" Cee and am going to try it out. I see that there are some supplied 20mm spacers from them. I can see how the Madstad windshield works. Sure are a lot of aftermarket screens for this bike. Givi, Triumph, Calsci, etc. My short OEM screen gives nice clean air but I'm getting ready for winter riding (in Flatlandistan) and trying to find a bubble of calm (calmer) air.
thanks4thefish42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #4363
Brian06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettRB View Post
Has anyone put a Jesse top box on their TEX yet? How was the installation? Does it make a good backrest for the passenger?
I have the Odyssey top box installed. My wife says the top box is great as a backrest. You could probably make it even more comfortable by adding some sort of padding to the back of the box.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #4364
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Bird View Post
My bike goes in for the replacement head tomorrow.

Shall report back.
Did you get it back yet, and if so, how does it sound?

My head is getting pretty nasty sounding and I'm just shy of 7K miles. Originally I thought I'd wait until next winter and get it done then, which will be just towards the end of warranty, but now I think its going to happen sooner than later.
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #4365
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Mine was right around 7k mi also when I had mine replaced. Didn't realize how loud it was till I rode across the parking lot with my helmet halfway off.

I strung the front of the bike up from the little loft in my garage. I was thinking there was a lot more weight on the front end with it on the centerstand. Ive got a pull up bar I made out of pipe bolted to the loft. If it can hold my weight, the 50 lbs or so to hold the front end with the wheel off would be no problem.

Quite easy removing the wheels. Metzler NEXT mounted up. I thought my EXP's were great tires. These are supposed to be even better. Hopefully Ill get another 10K miles otta these tires too.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote