Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2014, 04:57 AM   #4531
DaMonk45
I B Da Monk

Oddometer: 180
Price???

Ok guys I found a plain black 2013 exp. $13400 usd How does that stack up to what everyone is hearing? Thanks for any info! Dave
Old 01-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #4532
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMonk45 View Post
Ok guys I found a plain black 2013 exp. $13400 usd How does that stack up to what everyone is hearing? Thanks for any info! Dave
Is that new or used? I paid ~$12k for a lightly used 2012 black non-exp with a heated grips and hand guards about a year ago, if memory serves.
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #4533
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
Is that new or used? I paid ~$12k for a lightly used 2012 black non-exp with a heated grips and hand guards about a year ago, if memory serves.
Brand new with bags and arrow exhaust 2013 standard exp 16.2 otd not bad for 9.9% tax that's what I paid just FYI
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #4534
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencergt66 View Post
Brand new with bags and arrow exhaust 2013 standard exp 16.2 otd not bad for 9.9% tax that's what I paid just FYI
9.9% sales tax That sucks hard.
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #4535
ScarrJaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I snagged a black 2012 with hand guards, crash bars and rox with 7k on it for 11500 cash

No matter where you go.. there you are.
1997 KTM 620 Adventure
2000 Aprilia Mille R
1996 Ducati 900 SL
ScarrJaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #4536
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
Just came back from DC Motorcycle Show

Riding Chesapeak Bridge Tunnel was fun...

IBA#56676
Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #4537
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
9.9% sales tax That sucks hard.
Yea....Gotta love the PNW seattle area Fuckers

Just did the first service and found out I cant turn the service reminder light off dealer only thing.....Dude weak
Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #4538
Csorin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Just bought a 2013 Gray last Friday. Absolutely brilliant machine. This is my first big adventure touring bike. I had been eyeing the Tiger 800 but when I went to the Triumph dealer they were really pushing the 1200. They basically had too many of them and I ended up OTD under MSRP with almost a thousand in accessories.

As stoked as I am on the deal, I'm even more so on the ride! This thing rips! It handles an absolute treat in the suburbs and the highway. Gobs of torque and silky smooth engine. My only niggles so far are the super wide foot pegs making stop lights a bit difficult and an ever so slight vibe in the bars. Could probably be calmed with some simple bar inserts.

I was really blown away by how this bike handles. I'm coming from a Street Triple and a KTM dirtbike. The Explorer handles just as easy as them if not more so than the STR. I really like that it falls into turns then is just rock solid mid-turn. It was actually hilarious how small and high strung (in a good way, I love the STR) the smaller Street felt after riding the Explorer.

As for comparing the 800 to the Explorer, absolutely no contest. The roadie 800 is way too tight, feels too similar to the Street Triple, except doesn't have the nuclear top end of the smaller 675 engine. Its throttle felt clunky and I just wasn't impressed with the overall package. Now maybe I would have felt differently if I hadn't just test rode the Explorer:)

So yeah. Only a smidgen over 100 miles on the new beast and loving it. Might have to take this one to Cali for a road trip and Charleston in the spring. Distance trips for sure!
Csorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #4539
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:

Just did the first service and found out I cant turn the service reminder light off dealer only thing.....Dude weak
Get the Dealer Tool software and cable. It's pretty cheap and has a lot of capabilities including resetting the wrench indicator.

Sent from my Pocket Altair 8800
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:51 AM   #4540
Icy_
Stationary Traveller

Oddometer: 118
The best bike I ever owned

This bike has gotten me into and out of every trouble I can throw at it. Bought it in 2012 Jan, Rode it everywhere I can think of between Pennsylvania and Rhode Island :) ~12K miles and counting.

One north'easter snowstorm
One blizzard
Countless downpours in NYC, tristate area
The arctic vortex (read the story here)

I ride it every single day, back and to the office, from Brooklyn to Manhattan. I would not trust my life on any other bike in this town :)

Before I rode it in the morning

After I parked it in the garage at the office - I love the ice on the windshield

Me and BB | Floyd Bennet, NY

BB | Floyd Bennet, NY

Urban BB | Brooklyn, NY

The absolute best bike - comparing it directly to GS 1200 all variations of the last 5 years. I have half the Westchester Beemers MC drooling over the bike every time I meet them - hilarious :)

Icy_ screwed with this post 01-15-2014 at 07:08 AM
Icy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #4541
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
Get the Dealer Tool software and cable. It's pretty cheap and has a lot of capabilities including resetting the wrench indicator.

Sent from my Pocket Altair 8800
Can I just order from triumph? Link?
Old 01-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #4542
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Can I just order from triumph? Link?

Its a third party in the UK:

http://dealertoolcouk.ipage.com/

I got my package in about a week.
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #4543
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Well, to be fair, WA has no income tax.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #4544
NonDairyCreamer
incomprehensible

Oddometer: 95
Tps

There seems to be some issue with the TPS causing stalls, replaced by Triumph only to repeat a few thousand miles later. I saw a post over at RAT, I think, and the author stated it is the exact same item that caused the exact same problem on previous Yamaha FJR1300 models a few years (?) back. Yet I also have read it is made in Germany and has been a problem for several autos. More importantly my question is this: are the newer 2014 models sporting a better TPS?

Question two concerns the Trophy vs. Explorer. There are reported electrical problems with the Trophy, bad battery it seems, yet some are having issues even with a new battery installed which leads to another dead battery. Giving that the Trophy has many more gizmos than does the Explorer I'm assuming therein lies the problem, so does the Explorer have any issues concerning the electrics?

Thanks for assurances. Or warnings.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #4545
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonDairyCreamer View Post
There seems to be some issue with the TPS causing stalls, replaced by Triumph only to repeat a few thousand miles later. I saw a post over at RAT, I think, and the author stated it is the exact same item that caused the exact same problem on previous Yamaha FJR1300 models a few years (?) back. Yet I also have read it is made in Germany and has been a problem for several autos. More importantly my question is this: are the newer 2014 models sporting a better TPS?

Question two concerns the Trophy vs. Explorer. There are reported electrical problems with the Trophy, bad battery it seems, yet some are having issues even with a new battery installed which leads to another dead battery. Giving that the Trophy has many more gizmos than does the Explorer I'm assuming therein lies the problem, so does the Explorer have any issues concerning the electrics?

Thanks for assurances. Or warnings.
There have been a few minor electrical gremlins reported on the T.E. forum, but they're few & far between. I just read a posting on the TPS thread listed there earlier today where someone had the Throttle Sensor replaced and was asking the tech if it was new & improved. He was told it was the same part # and looked identical to the old one, so it sounds like the new 14 models may have issues also. I've not had the issue with mine, which I brought home in May of "12". My dealer had sold several TEX's and as of a couple months ago had not had any TPS problems reported...

OK, forget what I just wrote about the TPS. Just got off the T.E. site and read the latest on another TPS thread & it says there is now a new part #...
http://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.....html#msg89984

Big Jon screwed with this post 01-15-2014 at 05:19 PM
Big Jon is offline   Reply With Quote