Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #4531
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonDairyCreamer View Post
There seems to be some issue with the TPS causing stalls, replaced by Triumph only to repeat a few thousand miles later. I saw a post over at RAT, I think, and the author stated it is the exact same item that caused the exact same problem on previous Yamaha FJR1300 models a few years (?) back. Yet I also have read it is made in Germany and has been a problem for several autos. More importantly my question is this: are the newer 2014 models sporting a better TPS?

Question two concerns the Trophy vs. Explorer. There are reported electrical problems with the Trophy, bad battery it seems, yet some are having issues even with a new battery installed which leads to another dead battery. Giving that the Trophy has many more gizmos than does the Explorer I'm assuming therein lies the problem, so does the Explorer have any issues concerning the electrics?

Thanks for assurances. Or warnings.
There have been a few minor electrical gremlins reported on the T.E. forum, but they're few & far between. I just read a posting on the TPS thread listed there earlier today where someone had the Throttle Sensor replaced and was asking the tech if it was new & improved. He was told it was the same part # and looked identical to the old one, so it sounds like the new 14 models may have issues also. I've not had the issue with mine, which I brought home in May of "12". My dealer had sold several TEX's and as of a couple months ago had not had any TPS problems reported...

OK, forget what I just wrote about the TPS. Just got off the T.E. site and read the latest on another TPS thread & it says there is now a new part #...
http://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.....html#msg89984

Big Jon screwed with this post 01-15-2014 at 04:19 PM
Big Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #4532
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
Its a third party in the UK:

http://dealertoolcouk.ipage.com/

I got my package in about a week.
Damn, I thought it was a lot more than that for some reason.

Add that to the need list

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:22 PM   #4533
NonDairyCreamer
incomprehensible

Oddometer: 96
Tps

Big Jon,

Thanks for the response. Very encouraging.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #4534
B00ST00
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Do the 14' models have the top end issues that the 12 and 13's had? Thinking about going this route in the spring.
B00ST00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #4535
ongrade
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00ST00 View Post
Do the 14' models have the top end issues that the 12 and 13's had? Thinking about going this route in the spring.

No, redesigned head is standard now. TPS should be okay also as T redesigned that also and released it in October.
ongrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:05 AM   #4536
GarrettRB
Bike Nerd

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy_ View Post
This bike has gotten me into and out of every trouble I can throw at it. Bought it in 2012 Jan, Rode it everywhere I can think of between Pennsylvania and Rhode Island :) ~12K miles and counting.

One north'easter snowstorm
One blizzard
Countless downpours in NYC, tristate area
The arctic vortex (read the story here)
You must make use of the traction control and ABS in the snow. How did those work out?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #4537
Icy_
Stationary Traveller

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettRB View Post
You must make use of the traction control and ABS in the snow. How did those work out?
Well, traction control does what it's supposed to do and ABS does not help much. I turned TTC off the first time after not being able to stop and wanting to skid, and then learned how to not-engage it and not to depend on it so much. But I love it.

The bike is top heavy, nothing will change that so by the time the traction control kicks in, I am already slightly high-siding; but ttc helps because I don't have to play with the throttle to keep the high-siding under control, ttc does that for me. So, less work. I use ttc level 2 (the default). Since I don't have knobbies, snow is definitely not a fun ride. For example, last year's blizzard, I was crossing the Manhattan Bridge, upper level with 20+mph cross winds. The surface was slush covered with snow and traction was fine with occasional ttc kick-ins, but the side wind was causing me to slide from one lane to the other. I was riding at a ~10 degree angle to my direction of travel - pretty much like flying in cross wind (I am a student pilot - it was exactly the same actually :P). I stopped taking the bridges in severe weather after that. Tunnels are much safer. So in that instance for example, traction control did not help with the danger at hand but I didn't have to micro-manage the throttle to keep it under control. So it's a pretty nifty help when you need it - but not having the ability to change it on the fly is a bummer. I could not have stopped midway safely and change the ttc and picked up again - I really wish there was a solution to that :(

On the second day that I got the bike the scene looked like this on my street:

full-res: ttp://photos2.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/2/d/8/4/highres_324251652.jpeg

So I shovelled the snow away and rode on. The streets were covered in snow but cars were riding around so it wasn't that snowy, but it wasn't slushy either. You can see the road surface is somewhat compressed snow, to the top left corner. I live in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn (11231). So I took the cleaner streets to Prospect Park and rode around the park that day. Lots of traction control engagements, rear sliding, but overall a safe ride.

Around the south east edge of the park (Ocean Ave & Parkside Ave) I was looking for a spot to park the bike. I did two loops around the blocks, going 5mph, looking for a suitable opening on the side something that is not blocked by a mountain pile of snow where I can back into and all of a sudden I was on the ground. One second upright, the next down on the left, going 5mph. I jumped up and took my phone and snapped this picture before the cars ran over the tracks. You will see the to tyre tracks, front & rear and all of a sudden a wave to the right (front tyre) and then one of the tracks will disappear (front tyre :) ) and the rear will keep on and then the fall close to right bottom corner you can see my shoulder cleaning the snow. I am not sure about the clean line before that, could very well be my heel maybe I put it down as a reflex as soon as the front did a sudden right dunk. So there was a groove on the road, covered in snow, vertical to my direction of travel, the front got dragged into it and then came out of the indentation and then lost traction and I fell side ways. Had there been no snow, the front would have come back into the groove - I don't have to do anything. But slick snow changed everything.

full-res: http://photos1.meetupstatic.com/phot...324258442.jpeg

I love that slip mark to the front of the rear tyre. When the surface is slippery, putting the bike upright was fun. It, of course, slipped a few inches before gaining some friction :)

full-res: http://photos1.meetupstatic.com/phot...324258432.jpeg

I didn't have the engine guards installed yet. This is, really, the next morning that I bought the bike. The engine guards were installed the next week, and then I bought the extra guards that cover / protect the fairing and give me a much safer enclosure from Twisted Throttle. See below pic for that bar.

The reason I am telling this is that no traction no abs could have helped me in that incident. Top heavy bike - that's all that is. Had I been on a 250 dirt bike this would not have happened, or maybe if I had knobbies though I am not sure about that. I think nothing could've saved me. In short, riding in snow in NYC is not fun and I only keep to highways and tunnels this year :))

This is the night during the blizzard after I parked in the first place I found, in front of a hydrant. I think it was February 2012. The road was so slippery that I almost dropped the bike on a red light after I put my foot down and it slipped on that stupid white paint of a health hazard. Traction control kicked in numerous times, abs (abs on front brakes scares the crap out of me btw) almost constant on the rear wheel. Riding on the bike was safer than walking on the road. Though I would stick with walking for the sake of having the ability to pray in the safety of a sidewalk. Having to think of "what should I repent about before I fly off the bridge?" whilst trying to breathe and see through the snow at night is not fun. Oh, and yes, I commute to work, so my return trips of snow storms are always at night.

full-res: http://photos1.meetupstatic.com/phot...324251742.jpeg

I would say ice buildup on the visor when it's below 10 and snow buildup on the visor when it's snowing heavily are my biggest scares that my BB cannot help me with.

Towards the end of October, I had to change the rear tyre to Michelin Anakee 3 after I filled up the threads of the stock tyre with screws and metal and glass shards (New York city is an interesting place, yes) and that helped with wet traction but not so much with snow; it does handle ice really well though. I once accidentally took a side street not realizing that it was covered in thick ice and glided over it without any issues. But in those instances I don't engage the throttle at all - city riding - somebody might jump on the street, a car may turn into it etc so I could not really play around with ttc and abs responses.

This is from this past week's snow storm in NYC. The second day - first day I just took the train. I don't do full snow covered streets anymore, I just don't trust the other drivers to have enough skills not to kill me.

full-res: http://photos4.meetupstatic.com/phot...324053802.jpeg

That morning, after I parked in the garage under Rockefeller center, most of the snow had blown away, but the ice stayed and the windshield is actually covered with ice - love it :)

full-res: http://photos1.meetupstatic.com/phot...324053792.jpeg

For example, that day, there was little snow left on the road and ttc never engaged and ABS was not needed.

No blizzard, no snowstorms and no full snow covered streets the very next day after snow storms anymore :)

[addendum] you know where traction control kicks in and makes me happy? on a heavy rainy day, on manhattan bridge upper level, when I am passing through the iron forks that connect the bridge floor right where the legs are. These are huge metal forks that divide the bridge into three separate segments and let it expand in summer and contract in winter. When the surface is really wet, these act like ice - slippery surface, significantly lower traction than the asphalt causing your rear to slide and with the protruding of the forks which are not level you have a fun time even for a second. I would hit the clutch over these areas to keep it safe especially when there's strong wind along with heavy rain. But with ttc, I don't have to. Just go over it, ttc takes care of the clutch for me. when ttc happened to me for the first time after I sold the Harley I had tears in my eyes. Or maybe that was rain sipping through the visor - can't tell.

Like so:

Icy_ screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 12:52 PM
Icy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #4538
Icy_
Stationary Traveller

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00ST00 View Post
What top end issues?

Icy_ screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 12:52 PM
Icy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #4539
gscojo
GaryJ

Oddometer: 32
Globescout

Anybody have any mounted on their TEX yet.
Would like to see some photos. Especially from the rear.
Been searching the net hi and low and have found nothing.
Thanks.
gscojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #4540
Misadventure-Brad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teakdust View Post
YouTube video of the Explorer engine noise before the head replacement;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4oie_tcBsQ

YouTube video of the Explorer after the head was replaced:
http://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=ERyAYEEAj68

Thanks for sharing. I got the call today that my bike should be ready for pick up tomorrow. For the record, I dropped it off for the work on Dec 2nd.. today is Jan 16th.

I sure hope this is the last issue I have with it.. because this whole engine/noise issue has caused resale to plummet. I know if I went to look at a bike to buy and the owner told me it had been torn apart, engine removed, and head pulled.. that would be the end of the conversation. Corporate tried to sell me the idea on the phone that this was an "engine upgrade". I'd like to call it poor QC.. and so would every other person with cash in their pocket looking to buy a used bike.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #4541
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,620
Tested the protection this morning...

Ordered replacement plastic for $36

...and I can buff this

I wonder if it's covered under warranty :)

IBA#56676
Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #4542
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
We atleast need a story behind the pictures.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #4543
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,620
The 1200 Tiger Explorer Mega Thread

I wish it were like "riding through winters mix (which I did) and slipping on icy patch.."

It was simply freakish oily wet spot at gas pump...

IBA#56676
Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/

Voluhzia screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 06:39 PM
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #4544
Misadventure-Brad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
I wish it were like "riding through winters mix (which I did) and slipping on icy patch.."

It was simply freakish oily wet spot at gas pump...

IBA#56676
Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
Glad you're ok.. had a similar get off myself in wet conditions. Explorer took it like a champ though.. it's tough!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #4545
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
Well, to be fair, WA has no income tax.

True but still ouch
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote