View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2011, 06:39 AM   #691
Bain Dramage
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
To those who take exception to my perspective: your points are well taken. In any event, a variety of choices in this size range has been a long time coming, and I applaud companies who introduce a new bike in this economy. Hopefully, having more choices will make things better for everyone.

Any thoughts on how the 1200 Tiger might do in this size/style of bike? I understand this is speculative - the bike not having been released - but since the thread is about the Tiger, how do you all see it playing out in comparison to the other choices available?
Bain Dramage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #692
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
Supposedly the tank range of the Tiger is 180 miles.

So we have a VFR1200 wanna be? This Tiger 1200 appeals to me for a 2nd moto as an alternative to something like a C14 in that I want something better for longer two-up distances than my Versys but that range is pretty sad especially when I am used to around 300 mile range for my Versys. But nearly 100% of the time when someone journalist reports a tank range it's always much less than I would get. I bet the XC version is going to look awesome. Triumph has a great line up.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:18 AM   #693
Elefant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

And what "two different segments of the market" were you thinking?

You have no idea what Adventure riding is mate.
It's a Pig, a poser ... a touring rig playing Dakar dress-up.

It's riders really no different than Harley clones in Pirate costumes vs. BMW Tourtech queens in Twat suits ... and it's down right dangerous off road.

I think you've answered your own question! I do have an "excused kind" A friend of mine is so big that he flat foots his GS Adventure with his knees somewhat bent. That, I understand.

Yesterday, I went over to hermys to ride the F800S and the plain tiger 800. Shame they didn't have a demo XC. Anyway, probably last weekend before salt around here so I rode my 1992 Ducati 851. As I was pulling in, an IDIOT, yes, IDIOT with capital letters, as he was pulling out on his biiiig GS, makes the following statement. Beautiful bike!, to which I said thanks. Only to be followed by something to the effect of " can't say the same about how comfortable it must be". And he drove away. Interestingly enough, you would have thought he was ready to go "the long way round" all the shit he was carrying on a Sat am ride.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain Dramage View Post
Any thoughts on how the 1200 Tiger might do in this size/style of bike? I understand this is speculative - the bike not having been released - but since the thread is about the Tiger, how do you all see it playing out in comparison to the other choices available?
I understand it to be heavier than the GS. To me that is a deal breaker.

Elefant screwed with this post 11-27-2011 at 07:24 AM
Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #694
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
So we have a VFR1200 wanna be? This Tiger 1200 appeals to me for a 2nd moto as an alternative to something like a C14 in that I want something better for longer two-up distances than my Versys but that range is pretty sad especially when I am used to around 300 mile range for my Versys.
300 miles from a Versys! Are those the fun-sized European miles? Only way I get 300 on my Versys stock tank is if the last 80 are down hill! I bet you will be able to get 300 from the X12. Same sized tank and I bet similar MPG. I get around 45mpg on my Versys, your getting 60!
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Rustic Roads Century Progress
lonerockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #695
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,318
I really was amazed at how well the GSA did in the deep sand. No problem... just keep your weight back, and the speed accelerating and it handles like a large dirt bike. ............... quote Globalpilot4 from his Africa trip report

Old 11-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #696
Akita Man
Optional

Oddometer: 114
This article really shocked me regarding the head to head.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/26/120...-Weigh-In.aspx

The results can be agrued by all who have their personal favorites but the measurables can not be. Especially the ready to ride weights. I figured the BMW would be one of the heavier bikes in the test. It is 55 pounds lighter than the S10 and only 32 pounds heavier than the 800XC and 2 pounds heavier than the 990 Dakar.

I guess I am most suprised at the KTM being so portly...I thought it would have been closer to the 800XC in weight. Because of the dyno figures combined with the weight the Duc and BMW are the 2 fastest accelerating bikes.

I have not seen this article referenced prior but I presume you guys have been all over this one since September when it aired.

The 1200X may be in the sweet spot given the HP/weight combo vs what is seen in the attached article of current competitors. If Triumph does plan a 1200XC I would have to play the waiting game for that bad boy...I love my Rocket III's motor...if the brits can mimic this in a smaller package as well as the ability to create a low CG like on the R3...the long travel 1200X would be a serious contender to a BMW 1200GSA. Right now the travel on the 1200X is among the lowest of all bikes in the class. Spoked tubeless rims would be on my wish list as well. I also like the simplicity (visually) of a single sided swing arm.

Curb WeightCurb Weight with Luggage
Tiger 800 XC 508548 (panniers, top case, tank bag)
Ducati Multistrada526 561 (panniers, top case)
BMW R1200GS 540 564 (panniers)
KTM 990 Adventure538 573 (panniers, top case)
Yamaha Super Tenere605636 (panniers, tank bag)
Old 11-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #697
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
I really was amazed at how well the GSA did in the deep sand. No problem... just keep your weight back, and the speed accelerating and it handles like a large dirt bike. ............... quote Globalpilot4 from his Africa trip report

In light of recent postings, that's really funny.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #698
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
Grifter, that must have been one hell of a latte stand at the end of that road for a BMW guy to risk getting his bike so dusty
Really, no offense intended to BMW GS riders. I ride with several committed GS riders, have for over 20 years. Only a few go off road with any real intention. The standard GS is a good bike (once sorted out) but the GS Adventure is a bit of an absurdity... and I know many R12GS riders who agree. Too much of everything. Sure looks the part however ... great until it falls on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Sounds to me like when you're saying the two bikes don't "compete", what you are really saying is that the BMW is so much better the Yamaha isn't competitive. Your distinction is one of merit, not category. Which is a valid opinion, although not shared by very many.
Agreed. Over the years Yamaha's reliability is very solid. BMW's look great in the showroom ... but out on the road tend to have far more problems than they should, common knowledge. One only need browse FD failure threads (and many more) to figure this out. Yamaha's I've owned have been very reliable, with huge service intervals and EASY maintenance, much doable by owner. I'm assuming the 1200 Tenere will follow in this tradition. If the F800GS is a sign of where BMW are going ...
then, IMHO, they are in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefant View Post
And he drove away. Interestingly enough, you would have thought he was ready to go "the long way round" all the shit he was carrying on a Sat am ride.....
Typical. We see many of the same "RTW Ready" BMW riders around here too. Many are Noobs; working stiffs who have no chance to ever really escape for a long trip. Most wise up after a few years and drop the props and just ride the thing when they can. Such is life. The BMW guys seem to truly enjoy spending LOTS of money on their bikes. Free country, go for it. I just hope they don't assume this makes them and the bike somehow more capable in truly rough going.

You're lucky to have such a collectible bike. A friend has a nice 851. He wanted to sell it several years ago. I urged him to keep it. Now, it's value is coming back strong ... and it's still fun to ride. It's a keeper. Not as comfortable as a GS, Tiger, or Tenere ... obviously. But the 851 still raises the hair on the back of your neck. A great bike ... comfort be damned. The "original" Super Bike from Ducati.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #699
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
300 miles from a Versys! Are those the fun-sized European miles? Only way I get 300 on my Versys stock tank is if the last 80 are down hill! I bet you will be able to get 300 from the X12. Same sized tank and I bet similar MPG. I get around 45mpg on my Versys, your getting 60!
No, US miles. My last ten tanks. Side stand fills. Would love to see an economy mode the the tiger 12.

mpg miles gallons
58.826 270.6 4.6
65.63 301.7 4.597
62.379 243.9 3.91
65.352 248.6 3.804
59.163 263.1 4.447
63.796 286.7 4.494
60.733 273.3 4.5
61.827 311.3 5.035
60.8 275 4.523
58.973 276.7 4.692
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #700
Hogslayer
motomaniac

Oddometer: 140
...Have To Get Me One....

Having allready accumulated plenty of Pirate Gear through out the years I'm really interested in finding one of these

so called TWAT Suits to add to my ever expanding collection.
Hogslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #701
Rastus
World Traveler

Oddometer: 73
Time and Money

Typical. We see many of the same "RTW Ready" BMW riders around here too. Many are Noobs; working stiffs who have no chance to ever really escape for a long trip. Most wise up after a few years and drop the props and just ride the thing when they can. Such is life. The BMW guys seem to truly enjoy spending LOTS of money on their bikes. Free country, go for it. I just hope they don't assume this makes them and the bike somehow more capable in truly rough going.

Thats the trouble. Spend $20K on a bike, then your too busy working to pay it off to do a big trip. Reliaze people, time is your most important resourse.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #702
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita Man View Post
The 1200X may be in the sweet spot given the HP/weight combo vs what is seen in the attached article of current competitors.
The weights in the test were generally with a lot of guards and accessories as well as luggage. So I wouldn't take the weights being bandied about for the Explorer (definitely stripped and probably optimistic) and start comparing them directly with real-world weights from loaded and accessories bikes in a test.

My guess is that when the dust settles, all the liter+ adventure bikes with 19" or 21" front ends are going to be in a 50-odd lb range, comparably equipped, with the KTM and BMW at the low-end of the range and the Honda and S10 at the upper end. The Explorer somewhere in the middle. The 800's and Wee will continue to enjoy a nice weight advantage over the larger bikes.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #703
Rastus
World Traveler

Oddometer: 73
Time and Money

'Typical. We see many of the same "RTW Ready" BMW riders around here too. Many are Noobs; working stiffs who have no chance to ever really escape for a long trip. Most wise up after a few years and drop the props and just ride the thing when they can. Such is life. The BMW guys seem to truly enjoy spending LOTS of money on their bikes. Free country, go for it. I just hope they don't assume this makes them and the bike somehow more capable in truly rough going."

Thats the trouble. Spend $20K on a bike, then your too busy working to pay it off to do a big trip. Reliaze people, time is your most important resourse.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #704
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,319
Time is indeed your most important resource. Also, age is important. At 52, although I am very active, I find it exhausting riding the Tiger for a few long days at a time. It's a good tired, but some guys that buy these bikes don't realize how heavy they actually are, especially when mounted with gear.

I have all my ducks in a row for a trip with no deadlines and am hoping that I will become accustomed to the weight of the bigger bike when loaded.

Tigers prefer Panera to Starbucks, BTW.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #705
Bain Dramage
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita Man View Post
The 1200X may be in the sweet spot given the HP/weight combo vs what is seen in the attached article of current competitors. If Triumph does plan a 1200XC I would have to play the waiting game for that bad boy...I love my Rocket III's motor...if the brits can mimic this in a smaller package as well as the ability to create a low CG like on the R3...the long travel 1200X would be a serious contender to a BMW 1200GSA. Right now the travel on the 1200X is among the lowest of all bikes in the class. Spoked tubeless rims would be on my wish list as well. I also like the simplicity (visually) of a single sided swing arm.

Curb WeightCurb Weight with Luggage
Tiger 800 XC 508548 (panniers, top case, tank bag)
Ducati Multistrada526 561 (panniers, top case)
BMW R1200GS 540 564 (panniers)
KTM 990 Adventure538 573 (panniers, top case)
Yamaha Super Tenere605636 (panniers, tank bag)
The Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 weighs (curb weight) 539lbs - 570lbs depending on which motorcycle website is quoted.

I rode the Triumph 800 XC a few times - almost bought one as a second bike. I'm surprised by the numbers here - It didn't feel that heavy.

The BMW doesn't feel that heavy either, but that's possibly because of a low C.G.
Bain Dramage is offline   Reply With Quote