Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #61
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strada View Post
I really hope it's not another exact copy of a BMW GS
How in the world can it be an 'exact' copy of the GS - it's doesn't even have the same kind of engine for heaven's sake. It's a bike designed (it would appear) to compete with the big GS so exactly how different do you think it will/can be ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #62
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke63 View Post
Disappointed that the Tiger 1200 appears not to have radial brakes. The brakes seemed liked the weak point of the 800 Tiger when i tested one.
In what way ? If single finger front brake operation is 'weak' then I'm really not sure what you'd consider good.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #63
Jonny955
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Lovely looking bike! I think they have done very well, styling wise, with what is essentially an ugly genre (I mean all ADVs in general). My first thoughts are;

1. Tank range? My guess is to rival the standard R12GS, not the Adventure model
2. Are they likely to split the range like the 800s (1200/1200XC)? I reckon that Triumph won't bother to do this whilst they have the 800XC in the range
3. Despite what a Triumph dealer insisted to me recently, I cannot see them keeping the 1050 in the line-up.

Jon
Jonny955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #64
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny955 View Post
3. Despite what a Triumph dealer insisted to me recently, I cannot see them keeping the 1050 in the line-up.

Jon
I'm guessing that depends on what territories Triumphs sells sports-touring bikes in; for instance, the 'base' 1050 Sprint is a UK-only model, whereas a lot of other countries buy the Tiger1050 as a sport-touring bike rather than an 'all roads tourer'.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #65
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
im excited if this is the real deal . thought about a gs but the failure rate seems to high. ktm same . tought about a 955i but dont really want an older bike . the 1200 could be the answer.
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:12 AM   #66
Strada
Tally Ho!

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
How in the world can it be an 'exact' copy of the GS - it's doesn't even have the same kind of engine for heaven's sake. It's a bike designed (it would appear) to compete with the big GS so exactly how different do you think it will/can be ?
Well they managed it with the 800 and I was referring to the looks.
Triumph were even too lazy to come up with their own pivoting screen mount design.

www.palmerproducts.co.uk
Strada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:22 AM   #67
Strada
Tally Ho!

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke63 View Post
Disappointed that the Tiger 1200 appears not to have radial brakes. The brakes seemed liked the weak point of the 800 Tiger when i tested one.
Hoping the bikes brakes will be better than the 1050.
I agree about the 800's brakes. Jumping from my Benelli (or Multistrada), the brakes feel wooden.
On a recent rip to Holland, I found them lacking on several occasions especially fully kitted up.

www.palmerproducts.co.uk
Strada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:14 AM   #68
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,065

Looks like another single sided shaft like the BMW. Too complicated. Why not just make it a double sided unit like the Yamaha? I have a FJR with over 70K miles and it's seen everything from drag strips to 145+mph top end runs, to cruising at speeds of over 100mph for tanks at a time to at least a good 1K miles of dirt road running and wheelies nearly every time I ride it. Not a single issue with the shaft drive,,,,,, not even a weeping seal.

I honestly think the issues that BMW are having with their FDs stem from the single sided shaft considering all the Goldwings, FJRs, VMaxs and Ventures out there without nary an issue but maybe I'm wrong. Won't be the first time, won't be the last.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:18 AM   #69
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 647
I like it, love the idea of shaft drive, but the 1200 will undoubtly be quite a bit heavier then the Tiger 800 so a lot less flickable. But when it is at my dealer I will definitely go for a testride.
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:46 AM   #70
Tome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny955 View Post
I've been led to believe the 1050 Tiger is being dropped, along with the Sprint ST.
To me it looks like Triumph have used the 'If it ain't broke...' philosophy and put their own twist on some of the parts. Of course It'll seem like they've copied BMW, the GS is the standard, if it strays too far 'the look' then it'll be totally disregarded before it's been given a proper fighting chance... I'm sure BMW thought and did exactly the same with the S1000RR.
I've put quite a few miles on a Tiger 800 and love it, I hope the 1200 is just as good.
Tome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:48 AM   #71
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post

the single sided shaft considering all the Goldwings, FJRs, VMaxs and Ventures out there without nary an issue but maybe I'm wrong. Won't be the first time, won't be the last.
You are wrong - the Goldwing is single sided
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #72
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
You are wrong - the Goldwing is single sided

Quote:
Won't be the first time, won't be the last.

We'll see I reckon.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:06 AM   #73
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Not so with my 800XC ABS, brakes on this bike are better then most others. No need for radial brakes, it's not a super sport or a super bike.

Regards, Paul
Agree, Paul. There is no need for radial brakes on a big trail bike like this one. It’s good if they add them, but without the bike will do just as fine. I'm looking forward to it. Judging on the pics, it seems to be reasonably sized (at least better suitable for a 6,8 ft tall bloke like me... ;) ). Can't wait to see the 1200 Tiger in the flesh and have a good go on it.

Yeh, the Beemer crowd shout that it 'looks like' and more of that kind of a blablabla. So what... Most important thing... It might have some similarities with the GS. But the biggest plus... It isn't one.

Most important (which was one of the biggest positive surprises I had on my 300 miles S10 testspin last year) figure would be the fuel-mileage ratio. I guess these days, 300+ miles on a (guessed) 25 litre fuel tank should be the absolute minimum to achieve.

I always had a soft spot for the '1994 Tiger 900. The old one, before the 955i was introduced. A big, beefy big trail bike with its porky 3 cylinder engine and 6-speed gearbox. What a monster. The predecessors became more- and more roadbikes; but it seems that (incl the 800 range) Truimph is back on track. Go 4 it!

The way Truimph (as a brand) came up out of the ashes from the seventies and eighties, deserves respect. No more, no less.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #74
atermon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I hope they add some kind of suspension adjustability on that one.
3cyl is a big + for long tourer, and considering that only the rumored Honda V4 would be ahead in cylinder count,Triumph has a valid reason to stand apart from the competition.
atermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #75
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna_be View Post
3cyl is a big + for long tourer, and considering that only the rumored Honda V4 would be ahead in cylinder count,Triumph has a valid reason to stand apart from the competition.
For just that reason Triumph swore off fours a few years ago. Too generic. Based on the results, a good decision.