Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #781
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
I came back into the showroom after the R3 ride and the Thunderbird's ass just caught my eye (I've always been an ass-man )... I just HAD to ride it. I was sold after hitting second gear. I've rambled on about this bike on other threads, but... it's just one of those bikes you've gotta ride and feel for yourself. WAY FUN!
Totally cool! Glad you like your bike! i've not ridden it, but we don't see that many on the roads here. I hope you don't ever ride the Diavel. (Ducati Devil)
I got a test ride last week. Wow! That is a pretty cool bike too. If you're a power junky ... then don't go near that Ducati .. it will cost you!!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:45 AM   #782
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
A lot of KTM riders would disagree with the statement that BMW created the segment. But, BMW didn't miss the opportunity to capitalize on it. I've said it before on this site, but I bet KTM is still kicking themselves for turning down Charlie Boorman and Ewan McGregor for the "Long Way 'Round" series!
Well the R80 G/S was introduced 30 years ago, when KTM still painted their motorcross bikes white

As for LWR, it just came a bit to early for KTM, the LC8 was introduced in 2003, LWR was 2004. At that time the LC8 was still far from flawless.

In Holland Triumph did very well in 2011 it's the only major brand that did better than in 2010, thanks to the T800 and continuing success of the Street Triple
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #783
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,020
This was posted in the vendor forum regarding ADV Rider Magazine. Just thought it worth mentioning here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltTom View Post
Just got the phone call from Triumph N. America. We will be the first magazine in the US to demo the new Tiger Adventure 1200 when it hits American soil!
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #784
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Totally cool! Glad you like your bike! i've not ridden it, but we don't see that many on the roads here. I hope you don't ever ride the Diavel. (Ducati Devil)
I got a test ride last week. Wow! That is a pretty cool bike too. If you're a power junky ... then don't go near that Ducati .. it will cost you!!

LOL... I was at my Ducati dealer when they "unveiled" the Diavel (even had, um.... "exotic dancers" hanging around it to make it an event ). Something about it really got the short and curlies tingling (no, not crabs or the strippers!), but that sticker price... WOW! Way too much for a second bike!

Now, I've got my eyes on a 2011 KTM 990 SMR!
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:06 AM   #785
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by creggur View Post
And from what I understand Triumphs are a bit more reliable than their European contemporaries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Back to the chase on the 1200 Tiger, the GS's are actually excellent road bikes and the addition of a cruise control, potentially better reliability, and so forth holds great appeal.
As someone who started street riding back in the 1960s, these statements really gave me pause. My how things have changed.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #786
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Oddometer: 663
So the stock bike comes with rails for luggage. Nice thing about this is its a few less pounds when mounting luggage. Only concern is that only the stock luggage will fit. Seems folks have some complaints about other Triumph luggage. Anyone know of another bike that has a similar system? Any aftermarket luggage announced for the X12?
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Rustic Roads Century Progress
lonerockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #787
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
So the stock bike comes with rails for luggage. Nice thing about this is its a few less pounds when mounting luggage. Only concern is that only the stock luggage will fit. Seems folks have some complaints about other Triumph luggage. Anyone know of another bike that has a similar system? Any aftermarket luggage announced for the X12?
I'm quite sure Triumph have got the memo on the problems with the luggage snapping off the T800 Tigers. At least two MC mags brought his up ... even had video of it breaking off on a 15 mph low side on a fire road.

Obviously needs a total redesign. I'm sure the 1200 will have a better system.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #788
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
As someone who started street riding back in the 1960s, these statements really gave me pause. My how things have changed.
My statement was made purely from internet fodder. My primary Triumph research has been on the 1050 - which I was almost ready to pull the trigger on - until the Explorer was announced. I had ruled out the GS due to price vs. reliability issues. Same with the Multi 1200.
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #789
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,597
Anybody know what fuel octane the new Explorer is gonna require?

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #790
creggur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
Anybody know what fuel octane the new Explorer is gonna require?
If it'll do what it looks like it will, I'll gladly pay to pump 93 into the thing without a second thought.

To answer your question, though - no, haven't heard yet.
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #791
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by creggur View Post
If it'll do what it looks like it will, I'll gladly pay to pump 93 into the thing without a second thought.

To answer your question, though - no, haven't heard yet.
What 800 and XC models consume?

Old 12-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #792
creggur

Quote:
What 800 and XC models consume?
Apparently the 800's manual says 87....

http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-800-...ne-rating.html
Old 12-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #793
Voluhzia
iExplorer

I never had Triumphs and would like to know what known issues are expected with any motorcycles produced by brand Triumph? Something, like, "all Triumph motorcycles have faulty ignition lock", or "all Triumph bikes have weak tubular frame"...

Old 12-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #794
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,936
Quote:
I never had Triumphs and would like to know what known issues are expected with any motorcycles produced by brand Triumph? Something, like, "all Triumph motorcycles have faulty ignition lock", or "all Triumph bikes have weak tubular frame"...
I think they are just as much like most of the Jap bikes these days.
Pretty much just do what they do and weep a bit of oil occasionally on the first run models.

But that is a Triumph tradition. They just occasionally weep now, not leak.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #795
mountainmeterman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I'm sorry to be a party pooper, but no matter how well the Explorer may cook and clean, I just can't get over the look. From the engine forward, it looks very gaudy and juvenile to me. They couldn't even let the front fender alone. The GS may be ugly, but at least, for the most part, the form is perceived to follow function. I ride a DL1000, and though it's no beauty, it looks better to me now.
mountainmeterman is online now   Reply With Quote