Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #796
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
I never had Triumphs and would like to know what known issues are expected with any motorcycles produced by brand Triumph? Something, like, "all Triumph motorcycles have faulty ignition lock", or "all Triumph bikes have weak tubular frame"...
ive been polling every triumph rider i meet about the brand and reliabilty. Been doing this for years and i would say all owners i talked to loved their bikes and had no real problems.
I decided to get off the fence and try one myself a few months ago.
So far the bike i chose ( 800XC ) is dead solid perfect.Maybe a even better than i was expecting.
high dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #797
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Anybody know what fuel octane the new Explorer is gonna require?
As a guess I'd say 87 Octane. If the bike is really intended to compete with the GS1200 as a long range adventure touring rig ... doing international travel, then it's got to run on very low octane fuel. BMW and KTM have a switch on some bikes to change timing to allow low octane fuel. Triumph should do the same.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #798
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmeterman View Post
I'm sorry to be a party pooper, but no matter how well the Explorer may cook and clean, I just can't get over the look. From the engine forward, it looks very gaudy and juvenile to me. They couldn't even let the front fender alone. The GS may be ugly, but at least, for the most part, the form is perceived to follow function. I ride a DL1000, and though it's no beauty, it looks better to me now.
A new look is always a bit of a shock. Do your remember when the original Oil head/Telelever/Paralever GS's first came out years ago? Jesus, what an up roar ... and mostly from loyal BMW guys. Very few really liked it. Now, 15 years later everyone loves it. I guess we got used to it?

The Vstrom has been unfairly rejected simply because riders thought it was Fugly. This especially true in the British moto press. Many would not even test ride the Vstrom. Finally after a few V-Strom Alpenfurher victories they HAD to accept it as a GREAT BIKE. (Wee Strom). Dismissing a bike on looks alone is very unprofessional. Shame on those nasty brit journos.

If you don't like the look of the new Triumph ... I suggest you not buy it.
And for sure ... don't test ride it. It would be torture and your Vstrom would feel like a piece of crap after ... It's that simple. Stick with your Vstrom. I liked mine OK (warts and all) ... but really like the T800XC and this new 1200 is not bad.

When I got up close to it, it looked MUCH better to me. Climbed on board ... even better. Not as big as I imagined. Quite manageable, feels light.
Nice riding position.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #799
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,355
Quote:
I'm sorry to be a party pooper, but no matter how well the Explorer may cook and clean, I just can't get over the look. From the engine forward, it looks very gaudy and juvenile to me. They couldn't even let the front fender alone. The GS may be ugly, but at least, for the most part, the form is perceived to follow function. I ride a DL1000, and though it's no beauty, it looks better to me now.
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

It looks alot better than a Vstrom.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #800
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,522
I am absolutely going to get one of these, and I gotta say, I'm very glad I didn't go for the 800XC which I almost did, because I'd be peeved now.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #801
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,265
Quote:
Have to agree with you, BUT all you have to do is park it next to the new Versys1000 and it will instantly look better, assuming you can find a spot with all the VStrom owners crowded around.

Frankly though, if it's a good thing it's a good thing, I don't care that much if looks like a mungrel.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 12-03-2011 at 10:11 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #802
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Oddometer: 663
I prefer ugly bikes. Makes the engineers work harder at making it preform, cause they know its ugly so it better be good.

Yes I ride a Versys...
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Rustic Roads Century Progress
lonerockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:00 AM   #803
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Have to agree with you, BUT all you have to do is park it next to the new Versys1000 and it will instantly look better, assuming you can find a spot with all the VStrom owners crowded around.

Frankly though, if it's a good thing it's a good thing, I don't care that much if looks like a mungrel.
+1. And besides that... I don't have to watch it when riding it...

About reliability... no reason to worry. My neighbour rides an '96 Triumph Adventure (the custom bike) and has done near to 300.000 km all year throuh since he bought the bike new. Its a great bike.

Besides that... I like the way Triumph (as an company) is involving its customers. It could teach the guys at Honda a few (good) lessons, but unfortunately they are to proud and to stubborn to have a look at the competition...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:36 AM   #804
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Word has it the first 200 are sold already over here. These do include the dealer demo's, but these bikes are higher spec - and higher price.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:28 AM   #805
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
. ...it looks very gaudy and juvenile...
My wife will likely think it's the perfect bike for me then

Frankly, I like the looks - to me it looks aggressive without being gaudy. To each his own I suppose. When I showed my wife the pictures she said, "pretty bike", for what that's worth.

Oddly enough, I've never thought the Stroms were as ugly as other people say. I mean, they're no beauty queens, but the Versys wins the ugly bike title for me. I'm sure they're great bikes, but just damn that front end is all jacked up - looks like an alien invader from a 50's sci-fi movie...
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:00 AM   #806
JustPlainDave
Tubeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
I never had Triumphs and would like to know what known issues are expected with any motorcycles produced by brand Triumph? Something, like, "all Triumph motorcycles have faulty ignition lock", or "all Triumph bikes have weak tubular frame"...
I tested the 800XC a couple of months ago. I was asking the dealer the same question (having learned my lesson by owning a Triumph Spitfire & MG Midget in college). He said that Triumph is bascially an English Honda. They source their parts from several Honda sources and Honda owned subsidiaries (like Showa).

The new explorer is an interesting looking bike for sure. Being long of leg, I prefer the taller more upright seating position of a 990 or GS. I didin't really like sitting lower as I did on the 800XC. My legs felt a little cramped.

BTW...has anyone noticed the new adventure bike weighs 562 lbs. I think the 990 is only about 450lbs. That may be a deal killer right there for me. Yeah, I know, slightly different types of bikes/useage. Chain drive vs shaft..... Still seems like a big difference.

Current Bike: 2002 BMW R1150GS
Ghosts of motorcycles past: Super Tenere, KLR 650, DRZ-400, KTM 200EXC

JustPlainDave screwed with this post 12-04-2011 at 06:12 AM
JustPlainDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #807
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlainDave View Post
BTW...has anyone noticed the new adventure bike weighs 562 lbs. I think the 990 is only about 450lbs. That may be a deal killer right there for me. Yeah, I know, slightly different types of bikes/useage. Chain drive vs shaft..... Still seems like a big difference.
This doesn't matter a bit to me. My VFR weighs 540 so the Explorer is only 22 pounds heavier, but comes in with 30 more hp and 30 more lbft of torque. Heck it's only 11 pounds heavier than a VFR with ABS. My riding will be primarily street, so I'm actually getting a power/weight upgrade... Not to mention better ergos, shaft drive, cruise control, luggage, etc...
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #808
JustPlainDave
Tubeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
I here you about the weight. I guess it's definately more of an adventure/touring bike. I do a good mix of on-off road riding so, it's probably not the best bet for that. But, if you packed it up, I bet it would be a blast on the pavement.
The 800XC I rode had a very strong motor. Sooper smooooth.

Current Bike: 2002 BMW R1150GS
Ghosts of motorcycles past: Super Tenere, KLR 650, DRZ-400, KTM 200EXC
JustPlainDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:06 AM   #809
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:

I know most love the shaft drive but i dont care for them one bit .Adds to much unessasary weight in IMO,and you are stuck with the gearing the factory decided you should have.
You SHOULD be concerned with weight .Too much is never good.
high dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #810
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,473
Quote:
Having the Yam, I've also been watching the Explorer weight numbers, which we so far only have from the factory. I tend to keep oil in the engine and gas in the tank and don't believe that the 12GS is a full 90 pounds lighter than the Super Tenere, so think the factories can be pretty "optimistic."

The numbers for everything but the Triumph are their CLAIMED dry weight, then for wet, these add the tank capacity at 6 lbs/gal and add 7.5 pounds for a gallon of oil. Triumph gives both dry and wet numbers.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. Empty (lbs/ kgs) . with gas & oil

Multistrada . . . . . . . . . 417 / 189 . . . . . 456
1200GS . . . . . . . . . . . 448 / 203 . . . . . 487
DL1000 . . . . . . . . . . . . 456 / 207 . . . . . 498
KTM Adventure . . . . . . 461 / 209 . . . . . 500
1200GSA . . . . . . . . . . 491 / 223 . . . . . 551
1200 Triumph . . . . . . . 534 / 242 . . . . . 570 (Official claim, but calculates to 577)
Super Tenere: . . . . . . . 538 / 244 . . . . . 575

As with the Super Tenere, how high or low the cg is will mean a lot.