Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #811
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,739
Deal Breaker!

For me if it weights more than a GSA. I already find the GSA really heavy compared to the GS.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #812
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
...The numbers for everything but the Triumph are their CLAIMED dry weight, then for wet, these add the tank capacity at 6 lbs/gal and add 7.5 pounds for a gallon of oil. Triumph gives both dry and wet numbers.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. Empty (lbs/ kgs) . with gas & oil

Multistrada . . . . . . . . . 417 / 189 . . . . . 456
1200GS . . . . . . . . . . . 448 / 203 . . . . . 487
DL1000 . . . . . . . . . . . . 456 / 207 . . . . . 498
KTM Adventure . . . . . . 461 / 209 . . . . . 500
1200GSA . . . . . . . . . . 491 / 223 . . . . . 551
1200 Triumph . . . . . . . 534 / 242 . . . . . 570 (Official claim, but calculates to 577)
Super Tenere: . . . . . . . 538 / 244 . . . . . 575

As with the Super Tenere, how high or low the cg is will mean a lot.
One of the magazines oughta do an honest "weigh-in" on all these bikes. Like one of the dirt bike mags did decades ago...

My 2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring is 520 lb w/full tank, no luggage. Evenly distributed 260 front and rear. A far cry from 456 lb, huh...

Yeah, the weight disappears when you start moving, but not when you try to pick it up.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #813
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,479
I didn't see this in the last few pages of the thread, but as an existing Triumph owner I received a Triumph-produced magazine in the mail the other day which has a spread on the new Tiger Explorer as they're calling it.

Here are some of the facts contained within:

All-new (meaning not re-configured from an existing engine) 1215cc triple producing 137ps and 121Nm of torque.

Four-piston calipers with twin 305mm discs up front, two-piston caliper with 282mm disc at rear. Switchable ABS is standard.

950 watt generator.

46mm USD front forks adjustable for preload. Rear shock adjustable for damping and preload - preload with large knurled knob - no tools required.

Throttle-by-wire allowing Triumph to incorporate traction control and cruise control. Traction control is switchable. Cruise control is standard.

Instrument pack similar in appearance to the Tiger 800 except it includes ambient air temperature and ice warning. Also the OBC can be controlled by buttons on the switchgear so you don't have to take your hands off the bars to navigate through the OBC functions.

20L fuel tank. 20L = 5.3 U.S. gallons.

Adjustable bars, seat and screen heights. Seat height adjustable from 810mm (with optional low seat) to 860mm (31.9" to 33.9")

Removable pillion footpegs.

10,000-mile "routine maintenance" interval. (I assume that means oil changes).

Optional accessories will include: heated rider and pillion seats, heated grips, additional high-power front lights and a top box with integrated power supply for charging on the move. There will be a power socket close to the ignition switch (a la Tiger 800).

Also re: Triumph's choice of alloy wheels, the article had this to say: A significant difference from other bikes in the class are stylish 10-spoke alloy wheels. Triumph specified cast wheels for its adventure bike because it knows the majority of owners demand impeccable on-road manners and handling, and cast wheels are generally lighter (for lower unsprung weight and improved handling) and give the best options for tyres.

They got in a couple digs at BMW: "All of the engineers involved in this project are motorcyclists," continues Warburton, "so we all know that being stranded with a broken driveshaft is just not an option. We looked at the driveshafts on our competitors' bikes and quickly understood why some have a reputation for failing. We engineered ours to be stronger. The Tiger Explorer's driveshaft is designed to be stronger and more durable than others on the market."

Also, the Tiger 1050SE carries on for 2012.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #814
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post

They got in a couple digs at BMW: "All of the engineers involved in this project are motorcyclists," continues Warburton, "so we all know that being stranded with a broken driveshaft is just not an option. We looked at the driveshafts on our competitors' bikes and quickly understood why some have a reputation for failing. We engineered ours to be stronger. The Tiger Explorer's driveshaft is designed to be stronger and more durable than others on the market."

ouch.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #815
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
ouch.
All's fair in love, war, and marketing...
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #816
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by creggur View Post
All's fair in love, war, and marketing...
Esp when a company doesn't admit there is a problem.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #817
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,091
Great time to be a Triumph dealer and with optional bun warmers,
the reasoning "behind" the 950 watt charging system, is finally obvious.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #818
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,107
Sat on the Explorer at IMS Dallas. Very comfortable seat, some sort of foam, firm but squeezed to my shape. Was good back some and then up close to the tank like charging some twisties. Very nice ergos. Nice looking controls, CC on right side.

It was gray, did not like the looks of it that much. But then I owned a Versys once so what do I know about looks. It just seemed blocky / modular looking.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #819
Akita Man
Optional

Oddometer: 114
The local dealer.

I paid a visit to the Milwaukee Triumph dealer. He feels he has a leg up on other dealers as the North American President of Triumph (based in Atlanta I believe) resides in the Milwaukee Area. You guessed it...a former H-D exec.

At any rate. This dealer receives a fair amount of attention from this Exec (being the local dealer). They were told the first 1200's would be a bike called the Explorer "Launch" They would come with Heated grips and likely bags as well as other options as standard for a $16K price tag. It will not be available until late May or June. Each dealer is supposed to receive one "Launch" bike for early MY 2012. Additionally, much has been made of the Thiland flooding effecting many of the vendors located there (manufacturers of switch gear, electric components and what not) and the low inventory levels anticipated in the 2012 MY. In other words...don't expect much in the way of discounts. He was taking (or angling for) deposits already...subject to agreed upon price estimates.

I am considering putting money down.

Just what I heard.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #820
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita Man View Post
They were told the first 1200's would be a bike called the Explorer "Launch" They would come with Heated grips and likely bags as well as other options as standard for a $16K price tag.
So, if you outfit an 800 with side and top boxes and inner bags, heated grips, and hand guards the MSRP for the accessories is just over $1800. Assuming they're discounting the accessories a bit for the Launch bikes - maybe we'll see an MSRP on a regular production Explorer at $14,500....

Of course I'm just speculating on top of the speculation, but that's all we've got right now anyway...
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #821
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita Man View Post
I paid a visit to the Milwaukee Triumph dealer. He feels he has a leg up on other dealers as the North American President of Triumph (based in Atlanta I believe) resides in the Milwaukee Area. You guessed it...a former H-D exec.

At any rate. This dealer receives a fair amount of attention from this Exec (being the local dealer). They were told the first 1200's would be a bike called the Explorer "Launch" They would come with Heated grips and likely bags as well as other options as standard for a $16K price tag. It will not be available until late May or June. Each dealer is supposed to receive one "Launch" bike for early MY 2012. Additionally, much has been made of the Thiland flooding effecting many of the vendors located there (manufacturers of switch gear, electric components and what not) and the low inventory levels anticipated in the 2012 MY. In other words...don't expect much in the way of discounts. He was taking (or angling for) deposits already...subject to agreed upon price estimates.

I am considering putting money down.

Just what I heard.
My local dealer is expecting a "launch" bike and one other in mid-March. He had no info on the contents of the "launch" model other then it will be Saphfire Blue.

Regards, Paul
Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #822
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 614
I hate this bike
It will be crap
I don't want one

Both my garage and my wallet are too small
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #823
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Akita Man: You need help if you think Aricka is a man.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:46 AM   #824
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Esp when a company doesn't admit there is a problem.

What problem?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:35 AM   #825
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,298
This is a buddy of mine at the Dallas Motorcycle show 12/03/2011 on a 1200 Explorer
Attached Images

Currently riding a 2004 R1150GS Adv. but a very long list of others over the 30 + + years of riding
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote