http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSTYD...layer_embedded
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #917
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
The 1050 is a great motor, IMO. If you don't need the off road ability then I'd consider a 1050 Tiger. There is one for sale here on ADV for $6500 for an '07. Nice bike.

The 1050 needs suspension help for certain. But once sorted will out pace your VFR ... everywhere. It's also good for 10 hour riding days ... two up.

I owned a 2000 VFR and track tested the V-Tec VFR, which was better but not even close to the 1050 in torque and power ... or brakes.

Also, the 1050 feels like it has double the power of the Tiger 800. I rode both back to back. I like the T800's handling and FUN factor ... but the 1050 Tiger has a ton of torque and it truly fast ... and has the best brakes on the planet. Plan to spend a couple grand on suspension ... a must do.
Go test ride one.
+1.

Couldn't agree more Grif. I really like the 1050 motor, and if they can get that same level of power, smoothness, and FUN into the Explorer.....WOW, that's gonna be a terrific motorcycle.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #918
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
Excellent test! Looks like an Ohlins or a re-valve will be needed for the shock, look at the passenger. He's getting beat up some ... while the pilot sits pretty still.

Also ... I see a bit of daylight under the front tire. I guess that's probably pretty normal? ... dunno? Wonder how Telelever/Paralever would compare?

Triumph has sort missed the mark on suspension on a few bikes. My 1050 Tiger being one. Also, I thought the XC was a bit harsh ... firm but not plush. Needs tweaking IMHO, but what bike doesn't?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #919
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #920
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
That's assuming it IS in the same class. From what I can see so far it leans more toward sport-touring than either the GS or Super Tenere. It's a matter of degree, yes, but it means that people will have to really nail down their perceived usage before making a choice. It's great to have choices in this category at last! The way I see it... from sportier to dirtier

Multistrada - Tiger 1200 and VStrom - GS and S10 - KTM 990

Trevor
I think you have it right. I added in the 1000 VStrom.

I was hoping the Explorer would be available as an XC like my 800 is. The 800 XC isn't very dirty as it is, so the Explorer appears to be mostly another touring bike. What a shame.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #921
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post

I was hoping the Explorer would be available as an XC like my 800 is. The 800 XC isn't very dirty as it is, so the Explorer appears to be mostly another touring bike. What a shame.
Plenty would disagree....it's all about opinions after all...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #922
Kecko
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
That's assuming it IS in the same class. From what I can see so far it leans more toward sport-touring than either the GS or Super Tenere.

Trevor
Oh for crying out lout, can you please stop using the word sport in asocoation with these kind of bikes. They are great, they are comfortable, they are also powerfull but they are not sporty. Sport-touring applys to bikes like honda vfr800, cbr600f, bmw k1300s, Triumph ST and such.

This is sport-touring:
Attached Images

Kecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #923
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:

What leads you to say this? When I look at the Explorer, I see a 19" front wheel, switchable ABS. These are things targeted for off-road, not on-road, use. Back in the day when Triumph threw in the towel and shod their then-new 1050 Tiger with a 17" front hoop, they were conceding that bike's focus to be on-road only. No Triumph marketing literature of any kind showed the 1050 being used off-road (at least none that I ever saw). To the contrary, the official Triumph Explorer video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qbNScM1QZo) shows it off road much of the time. The only thing I see "missing" are spoked wheels vs. cast, but maybe those will be available as an item in Triumph's ever-expanding accessory catalog for those truly looking to spend more time off-road than on.

IMO the Explorer is every bit as much an adv tourer as the BMW R12GS or Yamaha SuperTen.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #924
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Plenty would disagree....it's all about opinions after all...
After riding my 800XC in the exact same places (off road) I ride the KTM990, I can tell you for sure that in suspension and engine performance it is not even close to the KTM.

I do like it though, it is a fun bike for smooth gravel roads or riding on the street.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #925
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Ah yes how could I forget the Strom - I have one. Just forgot that it was just announced as being available NEW for 2012. So yes that's about where it fits in.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #926
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,001
Quote:
After riding my 800XC in the exact same places (off road) I ride the KTM990, I can tell you for sure that in suspension and engine performance it is not even close to the KTM.

I do like it though, it is a fun bike for smooth gravel roads or riding on the street.
I never said it was. What I did say is that some people (myself included) would disagree on that fact the 800XC was not particularly dirt-worthy. It is (and no, by dirt I don't mean stuff I would do on my Husky).
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #927
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Triumph has sort missed the mark on suspension on a few bikes. My 1050 Tiger being one. Also, I thought the XC was a bit harsh ... firm but not plush. Needs tweaking IMHO, but what bike doesn't?

I found that I needed to reduce the rear shock's damping just a little bit from stock, and increased the preload a little, but have since been pretty satisfied with the XC's suspension. The forks, though nonadjustable, are so good I don't think I would have fiddled with them at all even if they were adjustable.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #928
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Don't get your ponytail in a twist (I presume that is you on the back of the bike) - I said "it leans more toward sport-touring". That's different to saying it's a sport-tourer, or a SPORT-tourer, or a sport-TOURER.

Splitting hairs I know. No need to tell you about that though - you must have terrible trouble with split-ends in your ponytail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kecko View Post
Oh for crying out lout, can you please stop using the word sport in asocoation with these kind of bikes. They are great, they are comfortable, they are also powerfull but they are not sporty. Sport-touring applys to bikes like honda vfr800, cbr600f, bmw k1300s, Triumph ST and such.

This is sport-touring:
Old 12-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #929
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
What leads you to say this? When I look at the Explorer, I see a 19" front wheel, switchable ABS. These are things targeted for off-road, not on-road, use. Back in the day when Triumph threw in the towel and shod their then-new 1050 Tiger with a 17" front hoop, they were conceding that bike's focus to be on-road only. No Triumph marketing literature of any kind showed the 1050 being used off-road (at least none that I ever saw). To the contrary, the official Triumph Explorer video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qbNScM1QZo) shows it off road much of the time. The only thing I see "missing" are spoked wheels vs. cast, but maybe those will be available as an item in Triumph's ever-expanding accessory catalog for those truly looking to spend more time off-road than on.

IMO the Explorer is every bit as much an adv tourer as the BMW R12GS or Yamaha SuperTen.

-SM
Maybe Triumph will come out with a Adventure Explorer at a later date with a larger fuel tank, spoked wheels, skid plates, and a taller suspension. Now that would be very nice ! ! !

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #930
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kecko View Post

This is sport-touring:
Wow... Really?

I'm worried less about titles and genres as I am getting the bike that works best for the kind of riding I want to do. I will be using the Explorer mostly as a sport-TOURER.
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote