Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #931
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
Maybe Triumph will come out with a Adventure Explorer at a later date with a larger fuel tank, spoked wheels, skid plates, and a taller suspension. Now that would be very nice ! ! !
And maybe call it the Explorer XC???

Come on Triumph, you know ya wanna do it....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #932
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kecko View Post
Oh for crying out lout, can you please stop using the word sport in asocoation with these kind of bikes. They are great, they are comfortable, they are also powerfull but they are not sporty. Sport-touring applys to bikes like honda vfr800, cbr600f, bmw k1300s, Triumph ST and such.

This is sport-touring:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Don't get your ponytail in a twist (I presume that is you on the back of the bike) - I said "it leans more toward sport-touring". That's different to saying it's a sport-tourer, or a SPORT-tourer, or a sport-TOURER.

Splitting hairs I know. No need to tell you about that though - you must have terrible trouble with split-ends in your ponytail

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #933
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
And maybe call it the Explorer XC???

Come on Triumph, you know ya wanna do it....

-SM
My money is they will if the Explorer sells well and enough people complain about its ADV shortcomings...
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #934
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
A little surprising, given that the 800 was released in both versions at the same time.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #935
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by creggur View Post
My money is they will if the Explorer sells well and enough people complain about its ADV shortcomings...
You're probably right. But with HP numbers approaching those of the Multistrada 1200 coming from a sweet-running triple, I think Triumph would have to step on their dicks mightily to keep these beasties from selling well. Of course they could always price themselves out of the market, but then that would be one of those phallus-stomping moves I alluded to above.

So....BRING ON THE EXPLORER XC!!

-SM

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 12-09-2011 at 02:28 PM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #936
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
Maybe Triumph will come out with a Adventure Explorer at a later date with a larger fuel tank, spoked wheels, skid plates, and a taller suspension. Now that would be very nice ! ! !
Several in the Moto Press have predicted an XC verison of the Explorer ... this both in US and UK press announcements I've read.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #937
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Several in the Moto Press have predicted an XC verison of the Explorer ... this both in US and UK press announcements I've read.
Then I'm ankshusly awaiting for that bike to hit the market. If they build it, I will buy it ! ! ! That is if it has the bigger fuel tank, skid plates, and long suspension that we all want in an Adventure bike. I currently ride a 04 R1150 GS Adventure so apparently I'm not worried about weight. And yes I do ride it off road...... a lot ! ! !

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #938
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
From what I have seen, I think it looks about right for Europe. It depends on whether they think it worth it for the rest of the world where really crap roads are not rare.

Anyway, They have the 800's which is enough bike to do most things you want in the "adventure" class, as long as you don't try and chase KTM's in the dirt.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #939
creggur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
From what I have seen, I think it looks about right for Europe. It depends on whether they think it worth it for the rest of the world where really crap roads are not rare.

Anyway, They have the 800's which is enough bike to do most things you want in the "adventure" class, as long as you don't try and chase KTM's in the dirt.
It's not for me, I'm guessing I'll be perfectly happy with the base Explorer. My off-road excursions will be limited to the occasional dirt road that catches my eye. It will be a touring/everyday bike for me 95%+ of the time.

I'm cool with 180-200 mile range; I'm ready to walk around and stretch the legs a bit by then anyway, so more fuel capacity doesn't really concern me. I'll be happy to, however, moan and bitch about upgrading to a potentially available XC version if it helps my fellow inmates get the bike they really want.
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #940
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I'm cool with 180-200 mile range; I'm ready to walk around and stretch the legs a bit by then anyway, so more fuel capacity doesn't really concern me. I'll be happy to, however, moan and bitch about upgrading to a potentially available XC version if it helps my fellow inmates get the bike they really want.
I'm with you on range. I can't sit for more than about 200 miles without having to pee and a good stretch. I'm no Iron Butt guy ... and don't fancy an "Easy-Leaker" Pee tube running down my leg just to join that gang.

I take medications that make pee stops more frequent anyway.
And anybody that's riding 3 or 4 hours without drinking is a fool looking for serious Kidney problems down the road.

I nearly always have my 3 liter Camel Back on and drink ALL DAY ... Summer and Winter. Good hydration is key to fighting off fatigue ... and keeping kidneys healthy. The youngsters here can ignore this old man's rant ... until your old, and by that time it's too late for you!

Riding 350 miles straight to me is boring and not all that healthy ... or safe. Blood flow issues can come up and concentration suffers. I stop usually between 180 to 200 miles for bit of stretching, breathing ... a light snack and rest. And of course fuel. Always good to go after a 10 minute stop.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #941
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,964
I understand all the stop revive survive stuff, but when you stop and revive and there is no fuel, then that might allow you to concentrate better on the declining fuel level and that's all.

Sometimes it not a convenience thing, except for the fact you can carry all your fuel in 1 tank.

There are very large areas where I live where fuel stops have been closed as the ever decreasing rural population levels have led to many closures of smaller service centers. Part of the "benefits" of ever increasing productivity from the rural sectors.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:25 AM   #942
Tiger-G
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Some of you guys really are missing the point about fuel capacity.

As said above, that's fine if you want to get off stretch your legs and empty your bag after 150 miles, but there has to be a fuel stop to do it.

Some of the places we get to there aren't any fuel stops. The whole ethos of a "Big Trailie" is a large capacity tank so you can travel far and distant places without worrying about fuel.

Are some of you guys on here just pretending to be ADV riders ??
Tiger-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:26 AM   #943
creggur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-G View Post

As said above, that's fine if you want to get off stretch your legs and empty your bag after 150 miles, but there has to be a fuel stop to do it.

Some of the places we get to there aren't any fuel stops. The whole ethos of a "Big Trailie" is a large capacity tank so you can travel far and distant places without worrying about fuel.

I'll admit I am pretending to be an ADV rider in some sense - and I don't mean that to be snarky - it's just a fact - I ride mostly on the road and don't have the time to RTW right now anyway.

It makes sense to me, though, that if I'm going to ride to an area that would require more fuel that the tank will handle to carry it in a portable canister system. This way, in my everyday riding I'm not lugging around the extra weight of a larger tank and the extra fuel when it's not required. No?
Old 12-10-2011, 04:49 AM   #944
3Putt
Is that a gimmie?

Oddometer: 600
Quote:

+1

Just because I don't need fuel doesn't mean I won't stop. Less range forces you to stop when you don't want or need to. If I'm in "get there" mode on the highway I'll stop at rest stops to empty and stretch. It's fast, easy and convenient, you can literally be in and out in minutes as apposed to stopping at a crowded C-store. Then when I do need fuel I can be picky about where I stop and have the choice of not even getting off the bike.

BTW I agree with staying hydrated, I usually were a CamelBak.

2014 Super Tenere
3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:00 AM   #945
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:

In years gone by, you may have had a point. These days, with all the options available to us to carry extra fuel, I don't think it's valid any more.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote