Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #961
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
They must be tough on gas. I can do 250 miles on my 08 GS with 20 liters between fills and I don't baby it.
Um... are you talking about the general feeling here on the forum that it won't go that far (based on no data what so ever)?

Triumph has publicly stated it has a better range than the GS (See the MCN article).

Now they maybe fudging the numbers, but so far there is zero data that says it gets bad MPG. Just a bunch of us armchair jockeys that are speculating that a powerful 1215cc bike has to get worse MPG than a less powerful 1200cc bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
I'll keep flying on my Standard GS and hopefully fly higher and faster on the new Watercooled when it comes out this summer.
Good luck with that. Lots of rumors, both for and against a summer 2012 release. Might have to wait a lot longer than you think.

But honestly the GS and the X12 are subtly different bikes. GS is targeted at that RTW dreamer that sees lots of dirt in their dreams. The X12 is at those RTW dreamers that realize there is lots of long distance tramac to get to those dirt areas. If the X12 sells I would expect all bikes in the category to add Cruise Control in the future!
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Rustic Roads Century Progress
lonerockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #962
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
Thanks, but I didn't make the whale foreskin thing up. There is an actual video out there about a guy buying a GSA and the salesman telling him he must have the whale foreskin lined one piece suit to go with it. I'll see if I can find it. It is a sarcastic video of course, but a good one.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #963
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ztsPIoI65A

Still Riff Raff....

Old 12-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #964
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
Thanks, but I didn't make the whale foreskin thing up. There is an actual video out there about a guy buying a GSA and the salesman telling him he must have the whale foreskin lined one piece suit to go with it. I'll see if I can find it. It is a sarcastic video of course, but a good one.
And those with exceptionally low IQ will continue to post it.......over and over and over.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #965
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Give me a break. I am 52 and still working on my GED.

Still Riff Raff....

Old 12-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #966
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,059
Well all this talk about fuel range is silly. My 955i Tiger has a 6 gallon tank and a couple rotopax cans mounted under the panniers is over 300 miles of range. I think that should be sufficient anywhere I may want to go. As far as going offroad, its all up to how dumb and stuborn you are. I am both. I follow guys on 450's through Missouri single track on my XR650L. Its a bit more work and I am slower, but it is fun. And yes those guys on the 450's think I am crazy.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #967
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
And those with exceptionally low IQ will continue to post it.......over and over and over.
And those with no sense of humor and blue an white propeller tattoos will whine about it.......over and over and over...
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Old 12-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #968
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Thanks bro... oh, that was my PhD, not GED.

Still Riff Raff....

Old 12-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #969
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 977
I guess my issues here are several fold. First, isn't the Trumpet being billed as a GS killer? If so its prey is NOT the ADV variant. Secondly were I to live in BFE where gas was more than 200mi apart and possibly not there anymore; prudence would demand I carry extra fuel. Third, do I want the explorer, an ADV variant of the explorer (lazy about needing to fuel my commute...) or the alleged 2013 Trophy...

(fwiw I do like the BMWs but the closest dealer is one county over N/S/E and seems to take at least 4hrs for any job. /QQ)

Or the TLDR/ADD version:
This bike isn't targeting the BMW 1200GSA. If you need that fuel capacity this @ stock isn't the bike you're looking for. Also, beer.
Emperor Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #970
3Putt
Is that a gimmie?

Oddometer: 600
I'm one of the foreskin wearing posers and I thought it was kind of funny.

2014 Super Tenere
3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #971
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
I'm one of the foreskin wearing posers and I thought it was kind of funny.
All this fashion talk is hilarious to me. I've always simply worn the best protective gear I could score at the time - right now it's Fieldsheer leather pants and jacket and a carbon HJC helmet with Joe Rocket emblems on closeout (yeah, I bought it all in red trim to match the bike so I guess I'm guilty as well).

I didn't realize I was going to have to re-accessorize when I got a new bike.

Even more irrelevant questions now arise:
1) Does Triumph have it's own version of the twat suit? And is it lined with whale foreskin or kidney pie?
2) When I go to Starbucks should I order tea instead of coffee?
3) Do I need to buy one of those new Arai helmets with the little duckbill on front or a $700 modular helmet? If I buy the Schuberth, are it and the bike going to be able to get along? Or, if I hang my helmet on the mirror will I return to find it tossed onto the ground?
4) How soon will I need the big metal panniers and top box? Will I be shunned if I dare use my soft luggage at first? Will it suffice if I just put a Union Jack sticker on the soft stuff?
5) Is there an aftermarket remote alarm system available that plays, "God Save the Queen" when I arm it?

Damn! All this posing is going to be expensive...
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #972
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by creggur View Post
All this fashion talk is hilarious to me. I've always simply worn the best protective gear I could score at the time - right now it's Fieldsheer leather pants and jacket and a carbon HJC helmet with Joe Rocket emblems on closeout (yeah, I bought it all in red trim to match the bike so I guess I'm guilty as well).

I didn't realize I was going to have to re-accessorize when I got a new bike.

Even more irrelevant questions now arise:
1) Does Triumph have it's own version of the twat suit? And is it lined with whale foreskin or kidney pie?
2) When I go to Starbucks should I order tea instead of coffee?
3) Do I need to buy one of those new Arai helmets with the little duckbill on front or a $700 modular helmet? If I buy the Schuberth, are it and the bike going to be able to get along? Or, if I hang my helmet on the mirror will I return to find it tossed onto the ground?
4) How soon will I need the big metal panniers and top box? Will I be shunned if I dare use my soft luggage at first? Will it suffice if I just put a Union Jack sticker on the soft stuff?
5) Is there an aftermarket remote alarm system available that plays, "God Save the Queen" when I arm it?

Damn! All this posing is going to be expensive...
Yes

'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:50 AM   #973
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I don't want to have to buy extra containers (some of which get quite pricey), figure out how to mount them on my bike without interfering with other luggage, or my passenger, or effecting the overall handling or durability, just to allow a $15,000 adventure bike to go on an adventure.

I'm all for the occasional "stop and stretch my legs" that has been mentioned several times previously... only where it seems many enjoy stopping at gas stations to stretch, I much prefer finding a scenic overlook or creek/lake.

While you'll always find people that want more and more (yeah I may be one), I don't think it'd be that hard to satisfy the masses with this fuel tank thing. 6.0 gallons seems the standard right now. So making a new adventure bike? Trying to make a splash in the market? Looking to stand out above the rest? Go 7 gallons! Going anything less (Triumph!) is going to be viewed by most as just that; less! Less than the standard. Sub-par. And by some, inadequate.
You don't need a 300 mile range to go on an 'adventure'.

This comes up with every new ADV type bike - the fuel capacity is never enough for some. Triumph (and others) are in a no-win situation when they design new bikes. What's enough capacity for some is not enough for others - why should those of us who don't need 300 miles ranges have to suffer with a huge (and more often than not, pig-ugly) tank ? I'm sure that's how Triumph see it - you may not want to strap extra tanks to your bike but, you have that option (there are so many these days).

This whole bigger is better is just BS - Ted Simon was quite happy going round the world on a 650 twin for pete's sake.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 12-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #974
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by high dangler View Post
if you guys had your way with designing bikes they would weigh 900 lbs.
Bingo....and be pig-ugly to boot.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 12-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #975
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

2-Up on cobblestones looks kinda bouncy... course I dont think I'd do it at this kind of speed...