View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #1441
Vbird
In Room 237

Oddometer: 780
Got to sit on one today. Nice bike but not for me. Just getting it off the sidestand felt like my ST1300. I'm 5'9/150 so large bikes feel huge anyway, but I heard several others make the same comment after throwing a leg over it.
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #1442
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Pretty positive review for sure. A set of intiminators should sort out the front end dive quickly enough, although it seems ashame that is not better addressed from the factory. Still, having installed them in my current bike, I can see where they would also transform the braking stability in a big girl like this Explorer. Maybe next year the bigger tank and better paint colors will be available. I don't need to choose between this and the 800XC until 2014, so I will be watching and reading intently until then. Oh yeah, when does the Triumph demo truck come my way this year? It's never to early to start doing some research
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #1443
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,515
Crap. I think that review just cost me 17K.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #1444
Bert the tigger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain Dramage View Post

Not many BMW owners will be happy to read the last five words of his report, or even BMW.

This could be the kick up the arse BMW need ?
Bert the tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #1445
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert the tigger View Post
Not many BMW owners will be happy to read the last five words of his report, or even BMW.

It just confirmed the comments I was told by an Swedish journalist at the Crosstourer introduction...: "The CT is fine, but the new Triumph will be leading in its class"

I thought the bike being slightly larger, but actually it has a very compact build - which should not be read as an negative aspect!

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #1446
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 965
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
It just confirmed the comments I was told by an Swedish journalist at the Crosstourer introduction...: "The CT is fine, but the new Triumph will be leading in its class"

I thought the bike being slightly larger, but actually it has a very compact build - which should not be read as an negative aspect!

It's funny how personal preference, news stand magazine sales, the dislike for a particle brand along with a bit of ego thrown in drive these forums. Personally, I like that Triumph is making the Explorer. I also like that Yamaha brought the Super Tenere to the USA. I like how the market is expanding, it makes picking a bike more challenging and exciting. What I don't like is the low brow-ing that always seems to follow in these forums. Nobody's reinventing the spoon. All these bikes I'm sure will be more than capable, especially if the rider is more than capable.

I certainly don't have plans to buy the latest and greatest.....There's no need to unless of course you feel compelled. Truth be told, give it 5 years and we'll see what happens when all the dust settles. Given BMW has been in the market making these bikes for the last 30+ years, they have the measuring stick and the evolution that nobody else has. Yup, 5 years from now.......we'll all laugh together.
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #1447
Bert the tigger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post

It's funny how personal preference, news stand magazine sales, the dislike for a particle brand along with a bit of ego thrown in drive these forums. Personally, I like that Triumph is making the Explorer. I also like that Yamaha brought the Super Tenere to the USA. I like how the market is expanding, it makes picking a bike more challenging and exciting. What I don't like is the low brow-ing that always seems to follow in these forums. Nobody's reinventing the spoon. All these bikes I'm sure will be more than capable, especially if the rider is more than capable.

I certainly don't have plans to buy the latest and greatest.....There's no need to unless of course you feel compelled. Truth be told, give it 5 years and we'll see what happens when all the dust settles. Given BMW has been in the market making these bikes for the last 30+ years, they have the measuring stick and the evolution that nobody else has. Yup, 5 years from now.......we'll all laugh together.
See I was right BMW owners don't like it
Bert the tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #1448
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:49 AM   #1449
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 965
Quote:

Cheerr-o my good chap, cheerr-o.
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:03 AM   #1450
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,469
Hmm. I'm kind of on the fence. I have no plans to chop the S10 in for any other bike. It'll cost me too much, and frankly, the Yammie will probably outlive me.
As for the BMW vs Triumph schtick - here in the UK (ironically enough) BMW have better dealer backup than Triumph. Case in point - my mate at work placed a 2500 deposit for a Sprint with a Triumph dealer that went bust and lost the lot. Triumph UK told him they were under no obligation to provide either a bike or recompense, whereas all the Japanese importers provided customers with bikes or their deposits. Then there is the fact that Triumph have shat on a lot of damn good dealers who were with them for years (Boyer, Streetbike, Wylie and Holland) in favour of the big corporate players.
BMW dealers like Pidcocks have a huge loyal customer base which will only get bigger when the water Boxer GS pops up.
I guess that if i was in the market right now, as i was 12 months ago, then it would be nice to have all of this choice. The Triumph would more than likely head the list, but i want top flight back up and parts supply, which is what swung me in favour of the S10.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #1451
Farside13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain Dramage View Post
I just LOVE the sound of that big triple With an aftermarket pipe it will be pure music hopefully similar to my Speed Triple that I foolishly sold it had the best soundtrack to a good road imaginable!

Can't wait now!!
Farside13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #1452
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,162
I sat on the bike at IMS Dallas, did not like the overall looks that much, but the ergos and seat were very comfortable. Having had the Tiger 1050 for a couple of years and 23,000 miles, I am partial to that sweet engine, and can not imagine a bunch more HP and Torque.

If it would have been here when I was thinking about the Super Tenere, maybe I would be on one, who knows, but the Super Tenere has some very good attributes that will be hard to give up! Would like to have CC, got everything else, plus larger fuel tank, but about the same MPG at 43 mpg @ 75mph.

More adventure bikes the merrier!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #1453
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,666
Looking forward to test riding one.

I've had my Tenere for about a month now and am convinced even more every time I ride it that I made the right choice to buy it instead of the Explorer.

I'd actually like to be wrong. Always good to have something to step up to, and if the Explorer is it for me I'll have one early next year. I see this more as a matter of rider priorities as opposed to which is better. I already know what I gave up by buying the S10 , but the Explorer is going to have a high benchmark on my priorities list to match the S10 characteristics I like. We'll see...

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #1454
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,131
Just what I didn't want to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbird View Post
Got to sit on one today. Nice bike but not for me. Just getting it off the sidestand felt like my ST1300. I'm 5'9/150 so large bikes feel huge anyway, but I heard several others make the same comment after throwing a leg over it.
At 5-8/145 this is just what I didn't want to hear. From what I'd gathered before it sounded like this is a bike for big guys. Oh well, a test ride will be in order anyways...

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #1455
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
At 5-8/145 this is just what I didn't want to hear. From what I'd gathered before it sounded like this is a bike for big guys. Oh well, a test ride will be in order anyways...

--Doc
Keep in mind with the low seat option set at the lowest setting, it's a 810mm seat height, which is practically living-room sofa low for a big ADV bike. Doesn't do anything about the weight of the Explorer, but, well, you can always add personal mass. :) At a buck-forty-five and five eight, you've definitely got some margin. Eat something!
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote