Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #1471
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
Problem with the Duc... You will be at the dealers workshop every 1.500 miles cause something will break down before you even have a chance to even get close to the service interval...
And I'm sure you have a nice cite or two that will support this statement?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #1472
mtbenson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Another test:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/893/12...irst-Ride.aspx
Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #1473
Daytonacharlie
2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbenson View Post

Good article. Can't wait till it gets here to the States!
One third of a gopher would only arouse my appetite without bedding it down.
Daytonacharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #1474
Bert the tigger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonacharlie View Post
Good article. Can't wait till it gets here to the States!

Good to see all the reports are saying the same sort of thing.
Bert the tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #1475
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
I'm glad the title of this thread has finally moved past the speculative "moves closer to reality"
I'll be even gladder when I can take one for a spin
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #1476
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,538
Now taking deposits for them.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #1477
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
I had the opportunity to sit on a Tiger Explorer yesterday at the Montreal Motorcycle Show. Nice bike; looks much better in person than in pictures. Definitely bears a family resemblance to the Tiger 800. It's very comfortable to sit on, with a spacious cockpit even for a 6'4"/240-pounder like me. But at the same time, the seat is flat enough that a smaller rider could move forward a bit. And my feet were not only flat on the floor, my knees were bent a fair amount; this bike is definitely friendlier to the short-legged rider than the Tiger 800 XC is.

And I honestly don't know where the top-heavy complaints are coming from. I thought the Explorer lifted off the side stand as easily as any bike in its class. Certainly much easier than a GS Adventure (when I rode one of those I felt like I was maneuvering an aircraft carrier).

I expect Triumph is going to have another good seller on their hands with this bike...

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #1478
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
From the Mark Ash report:
The delivery throughout is dependable and crisp, with no direct sign that this is ride-by-wire, although the throttle action will be too light for some riders - hit a speed bump or something that jolts the Tiger Explorer and the combination of light throttle and its plentiful torque means it can easily run away with you. Off-road (and we did no meaningful off-road riding) this could turn into something of a liability.

I'll be interested to see how this is addressed. I had the KTM 990 and it had this same issue although it had cable actuated injection. The easy fix was a special made throttle cam to change the rate of cable pull. This fix might be a bit more complicated. The 990 was specially bad if you got into heavy wash boarding while accelerating. Throw a curve in there and it was frigging dangerous.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #1479
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
And I'm sure you have a nice cite or two that will support this statement?
You ask for it, you get it.
When the Dutch Motorcycle magazine 'Motorplus' (part of the German Motorrad magazine) tested the Duc 1098 (not a multistrada, but based on same tecnics) on a 50.000 km durance roadtest. Conclusion... A bike to love... but a Italian drama with 12 repairs and an 3x roadside breakdown during a ride.

After publishing this test, Ducati increased its maintenance period from 20.000 to 24.000 km... And the Dutch Ducati importer wrote an letter to all its agents, preparing them to give 'the right answers' if customers came and revered to the test report of the 1098 in Motorplus magazine... Well... it did not took long for this letter to show up in Motorplus magazine...

Read here what the editing director (Eric Bulsink) thought about this action...
http://www.motoplus.nl/Frontend/news.php?page_id=4356

Quote:
"... new Ducati Multistrada maintenance intervals for major overhauls has stepped up to 24,000 kilometers to proof the increased quality! Let's hope that the Multistrada is able to make these promises true, because what are the meanings of such theoretical intervals if you have to return five times to the workshop for a repair?..."

Sorry, full text only available in Dutch. But I am sure you can find the translate button at Google...

Friend changed his R1150GS for the new 1200 Multistrada. The top-spec € 23.000,- model. After 6 weeks, the complete (COMPLETE) electric system had to be renewed...

Note... Ducati's are not that bad. I very much enjoyed a test spin on the new Diavel last spring. Very much. Very abusive bike... ;)

But for those who like to eat mileage on a motorcycle like sweets, a Triumph is perhaps a better choice... A neighbour has done 380.000 (!!!) km on his Triumph 900 Adventure without overhauling. Haven't seen a Ducati copying this... Have seen it on Honda's, BMW's, Yamaha's, etc etc though...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #1480
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Adventurer vv 6,8 ft...

OK, I need a taller bike... ;)

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #1481
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog View Post
From the Mark Ash report:
The delivery throughout is dependable and crisp, with no direct sign that this is ride-by-wire, although the throttle action will be too light for some riders - hit a speed bump or something that jolts the Tiger Explorer and the combination of light throttle and its plentiful torque means it can easily run away with you. Off-road (and we did no meaningful off-road riding) this could turn into something of a liability.

I'll be interested to see how this is addressed. I had the KTM 990 and it had this same issue although it had cable actuated injection. The easy fix was a special made throttle cam to change the rate of cable pull. This fix might be a bit more complicated. The 990 was specially bad if you got into heavy wash boarding while accelerating. Throw a curve in there and it was frigging dangerous.
On the Super Tenere this is addressed by offerering a T (touring) mode, which softens throttle response considerably - does the Tiger have anything like that?
Old 02-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #1482
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,538
I certainly hope not.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #1483
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
On the Super Tenere this is addressed by offerering a T (touring) mode, which softens throttle response considerably - does the Tiger have anything like that?
You don't really need that on a bike that was designed to travel between pubs on sealed back roads, with a nice rasp to the exhaust.

Haven't you seen the MCN reviews?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #1484
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
If somebody asked me who'd bitch the most about the recent Explorer reviews, I would not have said S10 owners. Go figure.

Anyway, another first ride review:

http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-sto...ide-review.htm
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #1485
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
If somebody asked me who'd bitch the most about the recent Explorer reviews, I would not have said S10 owners. Go figure.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-sto...ide-review.htm
Who's bitching about the Tiger?

It will be great for the intended market and probably a good thing, same as the Honda.
What gets very predictable is poms gushing about a pomie bike, and the current crop of Europeans bikes are very popular amongst, you guessed it, the European press.
Well what do you know?

As far as Where the finer Details of where the Tiger is good and not so good, we will have to wait.

The most bitching is about the press who do a pretty lame job of taking these bikes where Hard core track bikes would probably be fine.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote