Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 01:00 AM   #16
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Today i removed the chain. Tomorow i'm going to replace chain + sprocket + gear.
In my opinion, i could move the gear and sprocket quite a bit in the axial direction. Is this normal, or is this excessive wear?
jan.van.gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #17
Bronco638 OP
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.van.gent
Today i removed the chain. Tomorow i'm going to replace chain + sprocket + gear.
In my opinion, i could move the gear and sprocket quite a bit in the axial direction. Is this normal, or is this excessive wear?
Jan, are you talking about the counter shaft sprocket (on the engine) or the rear gear? My counter shaft sprocket is slightly loose when properly installed. My rear gear is mounted on a cush drive hub, so there's some play there as well. Did you need me to post the appropriate shop manual chapter on my blog?

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #18
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

That would be great if you posted it.
My shop manual is not yet delivered (ordered it in USA).

Is it advisable to replace the hub? Do you mean this: http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/NX..._-_Individual/
Or something on this picture: http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx125-tra...t/F__1200.html

Both my front gear as my gear at the rear wheel allow some axial movement.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #19
Leo.G
Is still learning

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.van.gent View Post
That would be great if you posted it.
My shop manual is not yet delivered (ordered it in USA).

Is it advisable to replace the hub? Do you mean this: http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/NX..._-_Individual/
Or something on this picture: http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx125-tra...t/F__1200.html

Both my front gear as my gear at the rear wheel allow some axial movement.
As far as I'm concerned, the front srpoket must have a little play in the countershaft, (I'll show you how mine was later), and talking about the rear sproket, I'm sure your problem is that you have that "silentblocks" of the hub that have some wear (piece Nº 3 in the scheme). Ask for that pieces, I'm sure you'll be able to get them easily..

Talking about me...
I had a stupid crash in my bike on the weekend, I didn't get hurt, but my bike (That had a bent fork already) bented more the same bent fork and now it is in the little garden of my house waiting for a replacement...

Some photos...

Tomorrow I'm calling lots of spare parts shops from big cities, I hope I can get an OEM fork, it seems the transmision will have to wait a little bit more..

Greetings!
More photos at:
http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/l...0de%20la%20NX/
Old 10-12-2011, 02:52 AM   #20
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm sure your problem is that you have that "silentblocks" of the hub that have some wear (piece Nº 3 in the scheme). Ask for that pieces, I'm sure you'll be able to get them easily..
Ah, that's the same part as i found in this webshop (where i bought my chain/sprocket etc.): http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/NX..._-_Individual/

I'm going to work on it this evening, check out which causes the play.

About your crash: i think OEM shocks will be very expensive (if new)... Let's hope not.

jan.van.gent screwed with this post 10-12-2011 at 03:07 AM
Old 10-12-2011, 02:52 AM   #21
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

I see you have replaced your rear shock? Where did you get it, and what did it cost? Looks nice!!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #22
Leo.G
Is still learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.van.gent View Post
Ah, that's the same part as i found in this webshop (where i bought my chain/sprocket etc.): http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/NX..._-_Individual/

I'm going to work on it this evening, check out which causes the play.

About your crash: i think OEM shocks will be very expensive (if new)... Let's hope not.
That little buggers are your problem, as well as mine, jej!

About the forks, a friend of mine had an NX 200 and has a straight fork, and I'm going to borrow a vernier caliper from a relative so as to take measures of my fork and we'll se if it could be useful for me... The code changes in just two letters
51401-KW8-901 (For NX 150)
51401-KBZ-901 (For NX 200)

I hope I can make the direct swap...

As regards the rear shock, I bought a national brand called FAR, that seems to be very good, but it isn't a shock for NX 150, it is a XLR 125 shock, basically it's the same with a harder spring.
If I were you, I would look for a shock in E bay if i needed one.

Greetings!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #23
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
That little buggers are your problem, as well as mine, jej!

About the forks, a friend of mine had an NX 200 and has a straight fork, and I'm going to borrow a vernier caliper from a relative so as to take measures of my fork and we'll se if it could be useful for me... The code changes in just two letters
51401-KW8-901 (For NX 150)
51401-KBZ-901 (For NX 200)

I hope I can make the direct swap...

As regards the rear shock, I bought a national brand called FAR, that seems to be very good, but it isn't a shock for NX 150, it is a XLR 125 shock, basically it's the same with a harder spring.
If I were you, I would look for a shock in E bay if i needed one.

Greetings!
So you also replaced those parts in you rear wheel because of play at the rear gear?
Big difference with the 4 new "rubbers"?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #24
Leo.G
Is still learning

I've haven't replaced them, but generally talking, that little pieces of rubber should stop your problems with the play of the rear sproket.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #25
Bronco638 OP
Nobody Home

jan: it looks like you need Chapter 12 out of the shop manual. I'll scan that to PDF today and post it on the blog.

My NX does have play on the counter-shaft sprocket. I would guess maybe about 1/8" (.125"). I looked thru the manual and did not see any mention of an "axial play" specification. I'll keep looking though. You're going to replace the chain and sprockets, right? If so, you should be OK. It's highly unlikely that the output shaft would wear faster than the counter-shaft sprocket. Otherwise, we'd all be placing output shafts every 5K miles.

Bronco638 screwed with this post 10-12-2011 at 09:39 AM
Old 10-13-2011, 01:24 AM   #26
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

I tried to remove the rear gear, but not succeeded. I need circlip pliers. I'm going to check if they have that where i work.

The new front sprocket is installed. But there is some play (quite a bit according to me). So I think i'm going to replace number 16 in this image: http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx125-tra...t/E__1300.html
Old 10-13-2011, 01:50 AM   #27
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

I bought a foam air filter to put over the metal part. Part 3 in this link: http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx125-tra...t/F__1600.html
Do i need to oil it? I'm still waiting on my manual which should be here right now, probably stuck at the customs...
Old 10-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #28
Bronco638 OP
Nobody Home

I don't recall there being a circlip that holds the c/s sprocket. Part #16 is the retainer. Post a pic of where you see a circlip. Perhaps the Italian version of the NX is different than the US version. Also, I think because you have a disc front brake, you might have the JD12 series NX (as opposed to the JD09 series which I own).

As for the foam filter, yes, you need to oil it. The shop manual says to use 80 or 90 weight gear oil. See page 3-6 in the Chapter 3 Maintenance PDF. I use 10w40 motor oil. I find it easier to clean (when the time comes) and since I stick to mostly local, paved roads, there's less dust/dirt/debris.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #29
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

The circlip is number 14 on this picture: http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx125-tra...t/F__1200.html

The rear wheel assembly of my NX12 is indeed quite different.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #30
Bronco638 OP
Nobody Home

Sorry jan, I misunderstood. I thought your counter-shaft sprocket was held on with a circlip (my old DR350SE was like that). My rear gear is held on with a circlip just like yours (and what's shown in the exploded parts view). Sometimes you can use a pair of needle nose pliers in lieu of the proper tool. But, you may as well buy one, chances are, you'll use it elsewhere.