Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2011, 07:52 AM   #91
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
The frame is white now. I'm going to stay with white.

I like my original color scheme, so i'm going to stick with it.
jan.van.gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #92
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

Or shall i make something like this?

Used to be a NX125
Old 11-19-2011, 09:00 AM   #93
Bronco638 OP
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.van.gent
The frame is white now. I'm going to stay with white.

I like my original color scheme, so i'm going to stick with it.
Is that the original color? As I mentioned, mine is silver.
Quote:
Or shall i make something like this?

Used to be a NX125
I had to look twice at that! Not really my style but certainly cool.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #94
Leo.G
Is still learning

Oddometer: 373
I prefer the NX the way it is..

But I hope you have fun with that rebuild!
The bike would be even more beautiful than it is now before that!

Greetings!
PD: The countryside starts beeing rocky about 300 Km ahead, near Córdoba
Old 11-21-2011, 01:37 AM   #95
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes, white is the original frame color for the NX125 transcity Italy 1989
Old 11-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #96
Bronco638 OP
Nobody Home

Interesting, white frame, front disc, tachometer. Is your NX a JD09 series? That would be the #4 thru #7 characters in the VIN. After searching thru eBay Europe, I was starting to think that the front disc wasn't available until the next series (JD12?).

Old 11-22-2011, 02:04 AM   #97
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Interesting, white frame, front disc, tachometer. Is your NX a JD09 series? That would be the #4 thru #7 characters in the VIN. After searching thru eBay Europe, I was starting to think that the front disc wasn't available until the next series (JD12?).
I will check it, what series my NX is.
It is all a bit confusing. My NX is imported from Italy. On my papers, the first time it was inscribed in Belgium was 1993, but i think the production date of the bike is 1989. Not sure though.

I'll check it tonight.
Today i'm going to sandblast some more parts.
Yesterday evening I dissassembled the steering stern and the rear suspension. But yet again, one of the long bolts of the rear suspension doesn't want to come out of the bushing/bearing
Old 11-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #98
Bronco638 OP
Nobody Home

Quote:
But yet again, one of the long bolts of the rear suspension doesn't want to come out of the bushing/bearing
I'm starting to see a pattern here. Is it the same bolt as the one Leo was having trouble with?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #99
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm starting to see a pattern here. Is it the same bolt as the one Leo was having trouble with?
Indeed, it is exactly the same bolt.

My bolt moved a couple cm's (1 inch or so), until you need a flat screwdriver to hit on or something because the bolt is inside the hole. But then it just stops moving. I've hit it like a mad man.

Soon i'm going to take my engine + rear swing arm to my father, he has some more tools and try to loosen both bolts.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #100
Bronco638 OP
Nobody Home

Yeah, it may require a press to completely remove. I'm thinking that water is getting between the sleeve and the bolt and rusting the two together. I'm wondering if I should try to remove mine. And, if I can, apply some sort to anti-seize compound to both the bolt and the sleeve. Hopefully, that would facilitate dis-assembly in the future. I'd also lubricate the bearings in there, too.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #101
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

It's not rusted together at my bike, because the first centimeter does move, but then it is stuck. So i just need something to drive it out. (bigger hammer + a rod instead of a flat screw driver). I hope i don't need a press.

The previous owner never used the grease nipples (or how do you call in it english)
Number 32 in this link: http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx125-tra...t/F__2100.html

I checked mine nx, it is a JD12.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:15 AM   #102
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

Part after sandblasting

Repainted:

Some more renovated parts:

Where i store the parts:

Preparing the frame for powder coating:

And 2 damned bolts:

Old 11-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #103
Leo.G
Is still learning

Congratulations!

You have everything a lot more organized than I used to when I disarmed my bike....

I'll see if I do that one day...

Talking about the problematic bolt in your swing arm, I have to say that the swing arms in our bike aren't the same, but the problematic bolt in both cases is used for the same.. (It's the one that goes where the rear shock joins with the swing arm) I think it may be because that is the bolt that mus be doing the most effort, apart from the one that is where the swing arm joins with the frame...
I was thinking about cutting mine with an angle grinder and a thin disk, but I'll see what I do...

And tell us, what have you done so far so as to take that broken bolt of your cylinder head?
Old 11-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #104
Bronco638 OP
Nobody Home

Grease nipple is correct. I, personally, refer to them as "Zerk fittings". It appears that Oscar Zerk is the inventor: Wiki Link.

I think your year of manufacture is probably 1993 as you previously mentioned. It may have been brought into your country as a 1989 model in an effort to avoid some legal issues. The JD09 series was imported into the US for three model years; 1988-90. They're all identical with the exception that the 1989-90 models got the rear rack from the factory while it was an option in 1988. It would seem strange for Honda to have two series of the NX running concurrently (JD09 and JD12) and imported into different markets (but I'm not an expert).

The other give-away, that your NX is different from mine (aside from the disc front brake), is the rear rack. The main hoop, that bolts to the frame, is made from square tubing. Mine is made from round tubing. I've seen quite a few of those racks on eBay Europe. They all seem to for model years after 1990. Also, your frame is white and mine's silver.

Otherwise, your work looks good. What's the (gray) part that's shown above the (black) kick stand? I don't recognize it as something I'd find on my NX. And, yeah, let us know how you fare with the broken exhaust bolt.

Would you be willing to take some measurements of your handle bars for me? Mine seem to be twisted and I'd like to replace them with something in aluminum.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #105
Leo.G
Is still learning

Quote:
Grease nipple is correct. I, personally, refer to them as "Zerk fittings". It appears that Oscar Zerk is the inventor: Wiki Link.

I think your year of manufacture is probably 1993 as you previously mentioned. It may have been brought into your country as a 1989 model in an effort to avoid some legal issues. The JD09 series was imported into the US for three model years; 1988-90. They're all identical with the exception that the 1989-90 models got the rear rack from the factory while it was an option in 1988. It would seem strange for Honda to have two series of the NX running concurrently (JD09 and JD12) and imported into different markets (but I'm not an expert).

The other give-away, that your NX is different from mine (aside from the disc front brake), is the rear rack. The main hoop, that bolts to the frame, is made from square tubing. Mine is made from round tubing. I've seen quite a few of those racks on eBay Europe. They all seem to for model years after 1990. Also, your frame is white and mine's silver.

Otherwise, your work looks good. What's the (gray) part that's shown above the (black) kick stand? I don't recognize it as something I'd find on my NX. And, yeah, let us know how you fare with the broken exhaust bolt.

Would you be willing to take some measurements of your handle bars for me? Mine seem to be twisted and I'd like to replace them with something in aluminum.
I think mine are the same, if you want to I could take some measures for you..
They are comfortable enough for me at least... (I'm talking about the handlebars), je!