User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
UnderNewOwnership OP
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,339
For the Alfa Romeo fans

All four of you... You know who you are...

It would seem that after testing the prototype of the upcoming Alfa Romeo 4C, Harald Wester (Chief Technology Officer - FIAT, CEO - Alfa Romeo, Maserati) was unimpressed by the preliminary results and demanded a do-over.

The result of that do-over is a completely new engine (not a development of the current 1.75-litre), 1.8 litres in displacement, full-aluminium construction. It features a slightly improved version of the MultiAir variable timing system, direct injection and a variable geometry turbocharger. Power is reputed to be around 300 hp (compared to the current 235 of the 1.75).

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...111009992/1193

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...er-engine.html

http://www.cartechnica.co.uk/blog/Al...petrol-engine-
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,128
Looks cool, but I doubt I'll ever get to see one domestically.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
They've been talking about it for what, 5 years now? I can't believe FIAT made it back to the states before Alfa Romeo.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,692
Quote:
I thought the 4C was key to their getting back in to the US strategy...

Anyway, 300HP... in this:

rool

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
DIRTDUC
Banned

Oddometer: 644
As they say in England...that's dead sexy...
I worked for Alfa Romeo for a long time in Australia and worked in conjunction with Alfa Australia when the GTV-6 came out and had a bunch of oil leaks (go figure), I have always thought that Alfa has produced some of the sexiest vehicles to come off the assembly line..
DIRTDUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
Always loved Alfas but never owned one. My buddies dad was the local sales manager for them back in the 1970s and he always came home in a cool one. I remember the Alfetta GT he brought home once was SOOO modern looking and had a Turbo!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Had a '61 Giulietta Spider which I really liked, but it needed a full resto & I don't have that kind of patience.

A buddy of mine had a Berlina, an Alfetta, and was given a total basket case '59 Giulietta Veloce.

All fun cars, all good memories, which is why I would love to have this:

What a great looking car.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
Quote:
Had a '61 Giulietta Spider which I really liked, but it needed a full resto & I don't have that kind of patience.

A buddy of mine had a Berlina, an Alfetta, and was given a total basket case '59 Giulietta Veloce.

All fun cars, all good memories, which is why I would love to have this:

What a great looking car.
All three top gear blokes say that is one of the prettiest cars ever designed, but all agree it is way too slow.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
All three top gear blokes say that is one of the prettiest cars ever designed, but all agree it is way too slow.
I think I could make that sacrifice given that engines can always be made more powerful.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #10
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
as a long time alfa driver, i finally gave up using them as a daily driver a coupla years ago - it's simply too hard to now find parts for these lovely cars. i still have one left - an 85.5 gtv6 w/3.0, tweaked ecu/headers/suspension/etc. but, no more daily driving. i put ~130k in 10 years on my last '86 gtv6 as a daily ride (shared w/my bikes), and pretty-much destroyed it - tinworm and too many misc little things wrong w/parts that are basically unobtanium now. this one deserves a better fate - it's basically a straight rust-free donor body w/all the performance goodies from the one i trashed. besides the gtv6's, i had three milano's and two 164's. nice rides. some day, alfa may be back in the usa. hahahaha!

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,187
Want!

I've had a '71 GTV, '75 GTV and a '75 Veloce parts car. Never had a sedan, a Berlina would be nice too.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Want!

I've had a '71 GTV, '75 GTV and a '75 Veloce parts car. Never had a sedan, a Berlina would be nice too.
+1! (tho i have had a few sedans - milano's and 164's. milano's - especially the werdes - are killer fun, and the 164's are amazingly solid high-speed cruisers.) and i also want a '71-'74 wintage gtv - to die for looks, imo.

the 1st alfa i ever drove was a '73 berlina way back in 1976; i was gonna buy it, but it had that nasty 2nd gear crunch. the seller refused to lower his price, saying "they all do that", so i passed... years later, i understand what he meant.

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
+1! (tho i have had a few sedans - milano's and 164's. milano's - especially the werdes - are killer fun, and the 164's are amazingly solid high-speed cruisers.) and i also want a '71-'74 wintage gtv - to die for looks, imo.

the 1st alfa i ever drove was a '73 berlina way back in 1976; i was gonna buy it, but it had that nasty 2nd gear crunch. the seller refused to lower his price, saying "they all do that", so i passed... years later, i understand what he meant.

doug s.

Hmm, now that you mentioned it, 2nd gear was a little "notchy". My '71 was really reliable though always started and pretty quick for a 1750 with the Spica FI. Driving position actually is more suited to those with a "simian" profile, short legs, long arms. Although I've been classified as a knuckle dragger, I had to drive it "italian" style.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
UnderNewOwnership OP
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,339
Officially official:

UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Hmm, now that you mentioned it, 2nd gear was a little "notchy".
Every Italian car I've ever driven has been like that. My '79 Alfetta GT was exactly the same as my dads Fiat 850 Coupe brand new.

Quote:
Driving position actually is more suited to those with a "simian" profile, short legs, long arms. Although I've been classified as a knuckle dragger, I had to drive it "italian" style.
The worst problem I had with the GT ergos was that I couldn't extend my right foot fully at cruising speed. Having to keep my toes lifted gave me shin splints/charliehorses after 30 min or so.

Luckily, like a lot if Italian cars, it had a "throttle lock." Kind of a poor man's cruise control.

OTOH, that piece of fine Italian leather furniture called the drivers seat I could sit in for 10-12 hours without complaint.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: