User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Davo-55 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

My son has long admired my Colt AR-15. He is 17 and has been showing responsibility. I was at Gander Mountain yesterday and saw a Smith & Wesson 15-22 in the used gun section. $349.00. I bought it to give to him for Christmas, but do not know much about it. Put a little Bushnell tactical scope on it.
Any owners out there? Is it fairly accurate? Opinions?
Old 12-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Accurracy of M&P 15-22

Bought one a couple of weeks ago and my 13 year old grandson shot it for the first time today. Using iron sights he managed to chew the center out of a target at 25 yds. Seems to provide excellent accuracy. Got a buddy that shoots one occasionally with an ACOG on it. His shoots well at 50 and 100 yds and I expect mine will too. Grandson mentioned he thought it would be cool to have a red dot on this one. I told him to go for it. When he bought it, he could put it on there.
By the way, you got a great deal on that gun.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,483
My mother in laws current husband gave one to my boy this summer. It's all decked out mall ninja style with a red dot scope and a light and laser combo. He shoots the hell out of that thing and loves it. not as accurate as his 10/22, but still plenty good enough for the 50 yard range we typically shoot at. He only wishes it had a threaded barrel so he could put the suppressor on it.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Davo-55 OP
Beastly Adventurer

That's what I was hoping to hear. Gun feels very light, but not cheap. By the time I bought the scope, a cleaning kit, and a ammo can of CCI stingers, the bill was 600 bucks. I think the gun new goes for close to 5 bills. Asked my boy tonight what he would want for a first gun. His answer: F/N 5.7. Or a 1911 pistol. He knows a whole lot more than I thought he did.
I think he will be happy with the little 15-22 though.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,256
I've owned one for a couple of years, probably have a 1000 rds through it. I just left the iron sights on it. Fun gun to shoot and I just run cheap bulk ammo through it. It will have a FTF occasionally, but no big deal. Stingers or any over HV ammo might have less issues, but I bought this gun to shoot cheap ammo.

Plenty accurate to 50 yards and I've even shot some better groups at 100 yards, than with my AR. I agree it's not as good as a heavy barrel 10/22 or any other bolt action target rifle, but it's fun to shoot and haven't had any mechanical issues.

I just bought a P233 scope that was going to go on my AR but I just sold that gun. I may have to mount it on my MP-22 instead now.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,354
Does anyone have experience with the "performance center" models?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #7
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 798
I think you made a great choice and that's a pretty fair price for one in nice shape.

I'll probably be picking one up soon. It looks like it'll be a lot of fun to shoot and I've heard the accuracy claims echoed over and over. The MP-15 22 is a good solid version of the ar in 22LR and will be the perfect target rifle.

I'm a huge fan of rimfire pistols due to how accurate they can be and how cheap they are to shoot and this litlle rifle falls right in line with what I like.
PMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #8
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,052
gunstuff

Checkout Rimfire Central

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report

andy29847 screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 08:45 AM
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #9
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,256
The MP-22 also works well for dispatching of unwanted critters.

2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
AerialCameras
Gyrating Peacefully

Oddometer: 1,898
Check out some of the forums specific to the 15-22. There are some neat and useful mods and accessories that'll make it a real hoot and not break the bank. A lot of guys are colorizing theirs and then there are the usual tacticool overloads. Aftermarket stuff has began appearing to make adding AR hand guards an easy reality. IMO If you buy extra mags, the promag 40 rounders work fine, but are just physically too big to enjoy shooting. The short 10 round mags have been hard to get, but make bench shooting and prone pleasant.

As for accuracy, it'll knock over cans all day long and even better with good 'moe and some skill. Of which I use neither.

You'll both enjoy the rifle.
AerialCameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,163
Good guns, i love mine. I have about 5k rounds through it and it keeps me smiling. Super fun plinker. Mine eats federal bulk with no issues. I slapped on a red dot and a hogue grip and just shoot the crap out of it. I will probably work on the trigger at some point but its not a must do. I like to tinker.
Rider_WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #12
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
1522 huh?

Here's my thoughts............

Any more questions?

Seriously though, this new style of "tacticool" .22 rifles take plinking to an entirely new level. A 1522 equipped similar to mine is light, fast and fun. A few months ago I was at the range with several friends and I threw 5 golf balls downrange and myself and another shooter pulled down on them. He was shooting a Ruger 1022 with a scope. I started shooting one after another and sent all five bouncing further downrange before he even got a shot off. He just looked at me, smiled and said, "I was right behind you."

And, if you are so inclined, the ones with threaded barrels are just pleading for a can.

Just GO! screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 07:12 PM
Just GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
Davo-55 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just GO! View Post
1522 huh?

Here's my thoughts............

Any more questions?

Seriously though, this new style of "tacticool" .22 rifles take plinking to an entirely new level. A 1522 equipped similar to mine is light, fast and fun. A few months ago I was at the range with several friends and I threw 5 golf balls downrange and myself and another shooter pulled down on them. He was shooting a Ruger 1022 with a scope. I started shooting one after another and sent all five bouncing further downrange before he even got a shot off. He just looked at me, smiled and said, "I was right behind you."

And, if you are so inclined, the ones with threaded barrels are just pleading for a can.
A "can" meaning a silencer? Did not know those were legal to own. I checked You tube for reviews, and see something called a "slide stock" that uses the recoil to fire in simulated "full auto" mode. Junk or real? Legal? Is the "can" legal?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
I have at least 5k through mine and maybe a lot more. It goes to the range with me every time. Has a cheap barska red dot. Everyone loves to shoot it and its easy to shoot well at 25 yards. I think I have helped S&W sell at least 5 of them as everyone loved shooting it and had to have one. I've done 50 yards with it and the ok grouping has more to do with the red dot and my average at best shooting skills with it. One of the range officers made quarter sized holes at 25 yards with it doing rapid fire and fast mag changes

Keep it clean like any .22......its very easy to clean.......the mags have plastic lips and hang up a round and bend it every few hundred rounds
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #15
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo-55 View Post
A "can" meaning a silencer? Did not know those were legal to own. I checked You tube for reviews, and see something called a "slide stock" that uses the recoil to fire in simulated "full auto" mode. Junk or real? Legal? Is the "can" legal?

yes suppressors are legal, just have to fill out the proper paperwork, pay the tax stamp and wait 6+ months for it to be approved.

slide fire stocks simulate full auto. totally legal, for now...
Rider_WV is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: