KnowFear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Ossa Canada has them in stock now.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #77
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 340
I see one on eBAY with a buy it now for $7995.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #78
KnowFear
Adventurer

Got mine yesterday! Running-in period starts tomorrow.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #79
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowFear View Post
Got mine yesterday! Running-in period starts tomorrow.
Sooooo ...?

We are all ears

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #80
KnowFear
Adventurer

Context: I'm fairly new to dirt riding (2 years), but have been riding on the street for 25+ years. Age = 46.

I had been trail riding a Husaberg 390 in our tight, slippery, Pacific Northwest trails. It is an amazing dirt bike, but too much of a handful for me. Docile motor, but throwing it around the local trails is too much work. My buddy rides a Beta Rev 3 and I can barely keep up with him.

Anyway, this Explorer is a real delight. I have 5 hours on it so far. This is my first trials bike, and first 2-stroke. I really like the motor a lot, much more than I expected. It has taken me a little while to get used to a trials bike, and I still have a lot to learn.

Tight muddy trails are now WAY more manageable (as expected!)

I ordered my Explorer with the suspension from the pure trials version (adjustable Marzocchi forks, and Ohlins shock.) The standard Explorer comes with more basic suspension components.

- light weight
- plush suspension
- fuel capacity

DISLIKES:
- no mudguard to protect the shock & linkage
- bitch to clean
- fit & finish is not up to Husaberg standards
- ignition key location is stupid -- I relocated it
- passenger grab bar is dangerous -- I have removed it
Old 11-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #81
KnowFear
Adventurer

Factory support is outstanding.

In case anyone is interested, OSSA's warranty support is FANTASTIC. My Explorer's plastic fuel tank (the additional plastic auxiliary unit in the conventional position) had two thin spots that were clearly rotomoulding defects. Within ten days of sending my email (with photos) explaining the problem, I had a new tank delivered to my door by the UPS man... directly from Girona.

That is what I call first-rate service. It does not get any better than that.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #82
BlindPew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
OSSA Explorer

I too have just purchased the new Ossa Explorer. Mine came from the same shop as Know Fear. Mine does not have the pure trials suspension as his does. It really is a great bike. It has the same power delivery as my "08 250 Gas Gas. With a little more punch . I've changed mine around a bit to adapt to my riding position. Changed the bars and added adjustable risers. The grab handle was the first thing to go, as it gets in the way when you get your butt back negotiating steep downhills. Mine now has only 3 hours on it. The first time out I stalled it in approx 25 inches of water, give or take a few inches. No damage. Funny thing is that I did the same thing 35 yrs ago with a brand new Yamaha 250 IT. Go figure.
The Ossa is a very cool bike to ride. Very similar to ride as a trials bike, with the added plus of a seat. The power is very smooth and starting off in any of the first 3 gears is a breeze. This is a crossover type of bike that would do well in trials up to the senior or sportsman level. As a tight single track/ technical trail bike you can't go wrong. A lot of our trail riding here on the Pacific North West is of a technical nature. This bike was made for this type of application. That's not to take away the fact that any rider in any region would benifit by riding or owning this bike. It would make you a better rider. I'll add a little more to this thread as time goes on. I'm very exited to be an owner and hopefully this bike will live up to the reputation of the OSSA's of the 60's-80's.

"WE live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm, and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open." - Jawaharlal
BlindPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #83
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 620
Question US options...

I like the look of the OSSA Explorer and it sounds like a great bike. Maybe I missed it if someone already posted it but I can't seem to find anything that indicates we can get them in the US.

I do see gas gas has something kind of like it we can get in the US now... Thoughts?

http://www.gasgas.com/2013_randonne.htm
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #84
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
I like the look of the OSSA Explorer and it sounds like a great bike. Maybe I missed it if someone already posted it but I can't seem to find anything that indicates we can get them in the US.
According to these guys, they should be at the dealers....

http://www.ossaworld.com/LearningRes...mID=550&page=1
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #85
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 285
The Randonne has a nice look, but the website says it is a 123cc 4 stroke. At sea level you might have some fun with it, but it strikes me as kinda underpowered for the american audience. and Probablly lacking the pop to do much in the way of trials. Be a great bike for your loved one to putt around a morning loop on though. The explorer seems to be the trials chassis and engine with a seat. Sounds like they are available in Washington state based on posts above?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #86
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerViking View Post
The Randonne has a nice look, but the website says it is a 123cc 4 stroke.
That's the tried-and-true, venerable Yamaha TT-R125 engine shoehorned into what looks to be their standard latest trials chassis, and then a soft/large seat fitted to it. It's the go-to engine for all "learner" bikes in Europe, or so it seems - just about every manufacturer over there that makes a small motorcycle uses that engine somewhere in their lineup. GasGas is using Yamaha fourstroke engines in their enduro bikes now, so it's no surprise they contracted to use Yamaha's smaller mills in a trials hybrid.

Scorpa built something very similar to the Randonne called the SY-125 Longride, using the same engine and their trials chassis, again with a big soft seat on top of their standard trials chassis. I rode one a few times and they were so light that they weren't as underpowered(below ~4000 feet elevation) as you might think, and I would expect the Randonne to be the very similar.

You can pump those little motors up pretty hot, probably 15-18hp - but then you have to make the clutch survive, and go to a bigger carburetor, etc. You'd have another $1500US and a lot of labor in doing so:

http://www.bjracing.com/sy125.html

http://www.bbrmotorsports.com/Produc...201&Print=true

They aren't even all that bad stock, you just have to rev them hard a lot, and the 5 speed gearbox makes them gappy between gears. I don't know if GasGas is spec'ing different internal ratios, but it's unlikely as Yamaha has sold millions of those engines with what seem to be all the same internal ratios.

Regardless, the Ossa Explorer will have more motor in all cases, most likely. You still need to mix fuel, though, and also you will still be dealing with the close-ratio 1st thru 4th gears, then biiig gaps between 4th-5th and 5th-6th. Changing final drive gearing to make 6th worth more than maybe 40mph will make the gaps seem even worse, too, but will make 1st-4th a lot more practical for trail riding, etc.
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #87
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 620
Thumb Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
That's the tried-and-true, venerable Yamaha TT-R125 engine shoehorned into what looks to be their standard latest trials chassis, and then a soft/large seat fitted to it. ...

Scorpa built something very similar to the Randonne called the SY-125 Longride, using the same engine and their trials chassis, again with a big soft seat on top of their standard trials chassis. I rode one a few times and they were so light that they weren't as underpowered(below ~4000 feet elevation) as you might think, and I would expect the Randonne to be the very similar. ...

Regardless, the Ossa Explorer will have more motor in all cases, most likely. You still need to mix fuel, though, and also you will still be dealing with the close-ratio 1st thru 4th gears, then biiig gaps between 4th-5th and 5th-6th. Changing final drive gearing to make 6th worth more than maybe 40mph will make the gaps seem even worse, too, but will make 1st-4th a lot more practical for trail riding, etc.
Thanks for the extra information, this helps me a lot to know what the diffrences are and what I might expect if I was to ever get one. :)
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #88
Will Hesch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I just watched a video of the 2012 Scottish Six Days Trial. There was some footage of a guy riding an Ossa Explorer and in each section he was filmed, he cleaned the sections on it. I'm impressed!
Will Hesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #89
zen rider
veteran rider

Oddometer: 206
Now Available in USA

Per Ossa USA (515) 402-8000, the Ossa Explorer is now available in the USA for an MSRP: $7995.

They were unable to get a blanket "street bike status" on a National level but your ability to register locally could vary. The good news is that Ossa USA confirmed that it does come with a headlight, blinkers, and taillight but they may not be installed at delivery.

A review of spec sheet at my semi-local dealer shows some key changes from the similar, but trials specific Ossa TR280i as follows:

Ossa Explorer (USA Spec):
1.47 gallons (vs. 0.8 gal for 280i), 162.8 lbs dry (versus 148 lb dry 280i), 40 mm Marzocchi fork, less adjustable (non-Ohlins) shock, 2-piston front brake (280i has 4-piston front caliper), EFI with Lithium battery assist (280i is battery-less); dual sport kit with blinkers, plate holder, head and tail lights included (not installed); best of all the $800 lower MSRP is $7995 (TR280i is $8795); the two-year warranty as standard is just a bonus.

My KTM 300XC may be going bye bye!!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #90
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
New info from GGUSA indicates a 170cc version of the Randonne will be offered this year. Supposedly. you can buy them with the European homologation kit (street legal in Europe) as well - so in States like NH, you could register it for street use. Not sure if it will have the needed stamps on the COO - to get it reg'd in strict states like Ca. Or Ma. My guess they will sell the 170 bike with the kit for under $6K - hopefully much less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post

I do see gas gas has something kind of like it we can get in the US now... Thoughts?

http://www.gasgas.com/2013_randonne.htm
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote