User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
advrockrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Clutch master....

Mine is leaking, I know everyone is surprised!!!!I have been doing some research and I see we have an inmate that does a sleeve/insert to fix the bore but he is in Greece! Anyone have a local machinist that can do this? Has anyone tried this fix out? Last question, anyone have an old/worn out master they would sell? I would like to keep riding while on work on fixing the problem....
advrockrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,537
Have you inspected it, and found the bore worn?

I rebuilt mine a few months ago by just wiping it out and changing the seals.

So far, no leaky.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:59 AM   #3
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
You may be able to replace the piston kit only
#17 in the picture ($60)
I have replaced many over the years on my other KTM's
If the bore is shot it wont help but every one of about 5 I have replaced has worked out well

Old 01-19-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
dmn0507
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
If yor oil is dirty it will leak more.
Your MC will probably need to be resleeved, but an oil change might stop the leak for a while. YMMV

I rode for many many km with a leaking MC (worn out) during a trip, checking oil level once /twice a day and adding with motor oil if needed).

Resleeving doesnt take much time (it's not an high precision thing), 1 hr should be enough for an experienced machinist, so you can just show the part to a machinist and plan the rebuild job.

My piston has 90K km, MC resleeved about 20Kkm ago
dmn0507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:13 AM   #5
Alex_RO
Wanderer

Oddometer: 187
resleeving

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmn0507 View Post
If yor oil is dirty it will leak more.
Your MC will probably need to be resleeved, but an oil change might stop the leak for a while. YMMV

I rode for many many km with a leaking MC (worn out) during a trip, checking oil level once /twice a day and adding with motor oil if needed).

Resleeving doesnt take much time (it's not an high precision thing), 1 hr should be enough for an experienced machinist, so you can just show the part to a machinist and plan the rebuild job.

My piston has 90K km, MC resleeved about 20Kkm ago

Hmmm...I had to replace my MC (the bore was worn out and I couldn't find anyone to re-sleeve it). I still have the old one (and I wouldn't mind a spare). Think the machinist that did yours is willing to do another one?

Worth asking

Thank you!
Alex_RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
dmn0507
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_RO View Post
Hmmm...I had to replace my MC (the bore was worn out and I couldn't find anyone to re-sleeve it). I still have the old one (and I wouldn't mind a spare). Think the machinist that did yours is willing to do another one?

Worth asking

Thank you!
A friend did it for me, it was an experiment since i had nothing to loose, but it's really a simple "low precision" job, you don't even need to resleeve the full lenght of the bore, you can stop about 5mm from the bottom IIRC since the piston never reaches there, and alignment isnt critical either; i'm surprised you can't find somebody to fix it over there... in addition people in eastern europe can fix everything
dmn0507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #7
Alex_RO
Wanderer

Oddometer: 187
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmn0507 View Post
A friend did it for me, it was an experiment since i had nothing to loose, but it's really a simple "low precision" job, you don't even need to resleeve the full lenght of the bore, you can stop about 5mm from the bottom IIRC since the piston never reaches there, and alignment isnt critical either; i'm surprised you can't find somebody to fix it over there... in addition people in eastern europe can fix everything
Yeah, I thought the same but apparently the guys that might do it shun all forms of electronic contact so I went through that whole friend that knows somebody that heard someone might be able to do something, etc...and I didn't get any results so far.

I'll keep looking but all options are worth exploring (especially since the new MC will eventually degrade also ).
Alex_RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
advrockrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Rebuild

Thanks for all of the info guys.. I haven't pulled mine apart yet, I was just assuming the bore was shot. I stopped at a shop yesterday in Carson City, NV after loosing my clutch on a ride. I want to give them a plug for being so nice and helpful, (CMS KTM). When I told them what I was doing they wouldn't let me buy any oil and gave me a bottle out of the shop as well as some tubing and a catch bottle for bleeding! I switched over to fork oil and bleed out all of the black looking mineral oil.I was hoping the fork oil would be a little thicker and work better? Mine has been leaking for a while as well and I have changed the fluid several times but it was black this time. Working fine now and I think I will just try a simple rebuild and see how it works. Thanks
Old 01-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #9
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,160
This was the only place i found that would re-sleeve mine when i was having issues. I would call them and make sure.
http://www.applehydraulics.com/brakes.htm

You can put a rebuild kit in it may work, 2 kits and mine just started leaking after a few months. I have a spare that was just honed and new kit in it that works... but the problem is the angle of the lever pushing the piston, it wears one side of the bore. It was only visible after the hone job.

I don't use the magura anymore, get a bottle of 2.5w shock oil, doesn't turn color.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
advrockrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Link...

Thanks for the link, I'm going to look for a spare to have sleeved. I want to make sure it is fixed before I head to Mexico in a couple of months..
Old 01-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #11
gonridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by advrockrider View Post
Thanks for all of the info guys.. I haven't pulled mine apart yet, I was just assuming the bore was shot. I stopped at a shop yesterday in Carson City, NV after loosing my clutch on a ride. I want to give them a plug for being so nice and helpful, (CMS KTM). When I told them what I was doing they wouldn't let me buy any oil and gave me a bottle out of the shop as well as some tubing and a catch bottle for bleeding! I switched over to fork oil and bleed out all of the black looking mineral oil.I was hoping the fork oil would be a little thicker and work better? Mine has been leaking for a while as well and I have changed the fluid several times but it was black this time. Working fine now and I think I will just try a simple rebuild and see how it works. Thanks
hey, thank you for the kind words and the plug. i'm glad you were able to get back on the road and make it home.

cheers!

gonridn
Old 01-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #12
advrockrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

my pleasure. ..

Always like to get the word out to other riders when I get good service and help from a shop. I grew up in a small town and word of mouth could make or break a businesses! I figured this web form has made the world a lot smaller ( much like a small town) so why not get the word out to all of the inmates here. Thanks again for the help, and I hope others from here stop in and say hi!