User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,285
R75/??? Rat Resurrection

I posted photos of this on my "Airhead Fish'in" thread but decided to start a "resurrection" thread to show progress.

A 40 mile trip to a nearby town took me out to a farm house / barn and there sat this gem. My hopes were dashed as I had hoped to see a pristine barn find bike, but instead, there sat a pristine POS.
Let's see....short wheel base, a /5 chrome horn, an odd ball headlight, upside down mufflers, a partial toaster tank, and a dual plugged /6 engine???? The front turn signals brought me to the conclusion that it might be a 1971 /5.
New 15 year old tires, a new 15 year old battery and a lumpy recovered seat were the sellers main bargaining chips.
He said he had the Title, fenders, tail light assembly and toaster panels "somewhere".
After some discussion and tire kicking we settled for a $400.00 selling price.

After over 10 years sitting in a barn I decided it was time for a bath. The speedo is a "Puch" so the headlight must go with it.

The old girl actually cleaned up pretty good. Engine turns over with the kick starter so I squirted a little oil in each jug.
I checked out the frame serial number and found that this started life as a 1971 R75/5.
I spent an hour or so and cleaned up the wheel and they appear to be in good shape.
The "new" weather checked tires still had 10 year old air in them and holding.

Jump ahead one weekend and I decided to try to fire the thing up.....After a preliminary check list:
Throttle slides free, Oil in crankcase, No bare wires shorting anywhere, carb floats free, hot wire ignition since the key is also "somewhere", wire in a fuse since the early /5's have no fuses, jury rig a small fuel supply since tank looks a little dirty, all looks well.
Install a 80% old battery (so if / when it shorts out it won't completely burn up) and touch the starter....stumbled a little and lo and behold it fired right up. Damn thing belched out some oil smoke and purred like a kitten.

I ran a few hundred cc's of fuel through it and all is in working order, headlamp, horn and signals somehow functioned even with all the loose wires hanging about. So now I at least have a basis to start building from.

Fast forward another week and due to fellow inmate generosity , EBay and some scrounging I had fenders, seat hinges and a tail light housing.

Last night I removed a Krauser saddle bag frame / rack from a R65 I have sitting to see if it would fit.
The frame has some adjustment points and bolted on just fine. Didn't take any photos of the bags mounted yet.

I hunted down a tail light lens, rear turn signals and a friction damper knob / assembly which will be arriving soon. (I am a fan of friction dampers on sidecar tugs just in case of any thoughts of a low speed wobble).
My R100S sidecar tug will be going under the knife (rear main seal, timing chain, etc, etc,) so maybe I'll hook the Jupiter chair up to 600 CC for a while.(?)
I'll be sorting out some wiring, installing another generic ignition switch, changing all fluids, flushing the fuel tank, and numerous other assorted needs next.
Not sure what to do with the tank yet. The PO will probably never find the Toaster panels since he can't even find something as large as a set of fenders.
Hate to chop off the toaster panel ears. I'll have to think about that one.

Obviously this is not gonna be a typical "restoration" thread but rather another Rat thread. So those offended by rat projects might want to hit "ignore".

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,767
Hell yeah!!!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,950
Maybe somebody who wants a toaster tank will trade a /5 or /6 tank for that one? You might end up with a big tank, which looks better anyway.
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,285
Pulled a Krauser rack and bags from my R65 since it is going to be sold soon. Didn't know if they would fit but they did. They sit a little further back than other bags but that is alright. I mounted them up with the bike sitting on the trailer so don't think the "pitch" is quite right. Looks like the front of the mounts need to be lowered a bit. I'll adjust them when the bike is sitting on the ground.

Scrounged up a /5 steering damper and installed it. Might be dragging my sidecar with this so wanted a working friction damper.

Also found some battered Roundels / gaskets & screws so will fill in the holes in the tank

Still waiting on this $30.00 purchase to arrive.

I'd like to have some "Toaster" panels on the tank if I leave the small tank on, but Toaster panels would cost about what I paid for the whole bike....If this tank stays on maybe I'll hunt down some rubber knee pads and cover the toaster brackets...or just leave it as is.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 10-16-2011 at 08:27 PM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote