User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
RossM OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Adventure touring bikes in NZ

My wife and I are planning to move to NZ in the next 1-3 years. Wife finishes school, gets a job offer, we move to NZ, in that order. I'm not completely familiar with the bikes offer in NZ that we don't get in the US. I plan on buying a 12 Wee to commute to work and ride here. I ride about 95% street and 5% dirt. Are there plenty of places in NZ that would let me get the most out of a bike like the Wee? We plan on taking a long vacation before we make any lasting moves and I just may have to rent a bike for a day or two when we're there. I did read the importing thread and we would ship the bike with our other household goods to keep costs down and own the bike outright to avoid paying taxes a second time.
Thanks in advance.
RossM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,014
Hi there Ross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossM View Post
My wife and I are planning to move to NZ in the next 1-3 years. Wife finishes school, gets a job offer, we move to NZ, in that order. I'm not completely familiar with the bikes offer in NZ that we don't get in the US.
Yes NZ has an odd mix of bikes due to having relatively relaxed import laws, and loads of imports from Japan and other countries. If you want to see whats available have a look on http://www.trademe.co.nz/ or http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/

Quote:
I plan on buying a 12 Wee to commute to work and ride here.
Not sure what you mean by a 12 wee... do you mean a yahama 1200 super tenere? (V-stroms are 650 or 1000cc.) Vstroms are great bikes and very versatile. I've owned a DL1000, and i think it's a great 2-up road tourer, personally I don't think think it's great gravel explorer. The DL650 is probably better because it's a lot lighter and more nimble.

Quote:
I ride about 95% street and 5% dirt. Are there plenty of places in NZ that would let me get the most out of a bike like the Wee?
If that's the mix of riding that you want to do then a vstrom would be perfect. NZ has a wide mix of riding and there's a little bit of everything to suit everyone.

You can ride from one end of NZ to the other (from the cape to the bluff) without leaving sealed roads. But if you want to start exploring gravel roads there are plenty of those about. The best bike for you will depends on your preferences regarding the kind of riding you want to do. Just pick a bike that suits you.

Quote:
We plan on taking a long vacation before we make any lasting moves and I just may have to rent a bike for a day or two when we're there.
There is a list of rental companies and their web sites which also show you what kinds of bikes you can rent in NZ FAQ. It's also nice way to try something different.

Keep in touch and let us know when you come over, I'm sure some of the local ADVers will be happy to show you about

kiwipeet screwed with this post 09-30-2011 at 11:26 PM
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
RossM OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks Kiwipeet! That's exactly the info I was looking for. I should know better than using slan in a different country's forum I am getting a 2012 Vstrom 650 and just might have to get a 250 dual sport once I get settled for a little more dirt time.
RossM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,014
Quote:
Thanks Kiwipeet! That's exactly the info I was looking for. I should know better than using slan in a different country's forum I am getting a 2012 Vstrom 650 and just might have to get a 250 dual sport once I get settled for a little more dirt time.
Ahh, silly me.

Have a god look through the NZ photo's thread and read some of the ride reports and you'll get a good idea of the kind of terrain and trips available, as well as the kinds of bikes on offer.
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote