User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #31
ChrisB Kiwi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
And arrived here....

just in time to see Oscar parking his 950 Adventure creatively....

Everyone rushes to get their cameras out before offering to help lol...
ChrisB Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #32
ChrisB Kiwi OP
Adventurer

Cool spot though....

these guys are making a clubhouse in the middle of nowhere.....

Eventually the tide comes in and the 950 is refloated lol...
Old 10-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #33
ChrisB Kiwi OP
Adventurer

Then....

after a pretty hectic final 15Km dash (scary speeds considering we are on knobblies lol)...we arrive at our overnight destination!

Where we are all briefed as to our sleeping arangements etc, to much joking once we figured out we had one person too many for the beds available! This was made even more hilarious by a shaved headed mustachio'd rider gallantly offering to steady our host up on the bench so she could be heard, smiling and bobbing his head as she patted it....

ChrisB Kiwi screwed with this post 10-10-2011 at 06:39 PM
Old 10-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #34
ChrisB Kiwi OP
Adventurer

Dead quiet....

this is the main street...

and some of those buildings were just facades!

no risk of getting run over in the main drag...

Stratford one way, Taumaranui the other way for gas....this place really is in the middle of nowhere!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #35
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Great report and photos
Escaped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #36
ChrisB Kiwi OP
Adventurer

The long way home...

the ride was officially over, so we all enjoyed the buffet dinner, rugby game and paper hot air balloon display (thanks Stretch) and turned in for a good nights sleep. I was with the same roomates as last night, what could possibly go wrong? Apparently the night before I had snored a little, no doubt fuelled by port and whiskey sampling from the previous evening.

Have you ever been in a room with someone who snored in any position, regular as clockwork, then stopped altogether for short periods of time - not just stopped snoring, stopped breathing altogether? I really tried not to wish that this un-named rider would actually stop breathing altogether and die, really I tried!

Breakfast was a leisurely affair, and in groups of twos, threes and fours we all headed off towards petrol and our homes.......except our four who headed off to see the ghost town of Ohura. What could possibly go wrong?

ChrisB Kiwi screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 04:06 PM
Old 10-11-2011, 03:44 AM   #37
4Skins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Turn back the clock to August 2003...

Same papa crossing...

- Then .................................................. .................................................. .............................. Now

And it was just as snotty back then...

4Skins screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 03:57 AM
4Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:11 AM   #38
4Skins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
This is the disused Stratford - Taumarunui railway

Stretch trying to mend a broken fence while Rik just shakes that arse...

Dave models the latest in racing number boards!

Time to relax and spin some yarns

And admire the view of where we'd come from

Then off to visit Kerry at Omapu Station in Tahora for a cup of tea. All motorcyclists welcome anytime he reckons.

Before rolling into Whanga for a well earned beer

but not before completing the necessary formalities. Our lovely host Penny endorses my Republic Passport.

4Skins screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 01:39 PM
4Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #39
ChrisB Kiwi OP
Adventurer

Nice pics and vids mate......

Looks like that Papa Clay crossing was the toughest point on more than one adventure ride eh......the farmer probably just rolls quietly up and down it every day on his quad, wondering what causes all the marks we left lol...
Old 10-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #40
Double Moo
lookin' for adventure

Oddometer: 1,149
Nice report! Jealousy from this side of the pond.

5 guys to right a 950!... getting old, Chris,.. you are getting old...
Old 10-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #41
ChrisB Kiwi OP
Adventurer

Ghost town....

Ohura used to make a living off the sheeps back and had (according to the two locals we chatted with) had as many as 3000 residents. Then the rail line stopped, it all became too hard, so they opened up a minimum security prison there for a few decades. That closed a few years back so now there is not even so much as an operating store in the town, resplendant as it is with it's divided main street with tree lined centre medians and all.

To be honest the place was kind of eerie. We fossicked for a while in the only people we saw there's second hand goods storage shed, then we rode up to the prison grounds to see the few remaining prisoner accomodation cells (about 2m x 2m).

We were now in no-mans land petrol wise, as we had vainly hoped we may be able to score some petrol in Ohura. We could backtrack 60Km to Taumaranui (which we were pretty sure we could probably all make by sharing petrol) or press on 90Km to TeKuiti which was much closer to home. I blame the eeriness of our surroundings for our decision to go North, but go that way we did!

We all rode in fuel conservation mode, backing it down 10 to 20Kph, and enjoyed the scenery and changing road conditions in intermittent drizzle. We made it quite close before Stretch's bike conked out, followed by mine and Ricky's. We were now spread along 10Km of road, 20 to 30Km from a gas station.

I amused myself by trying to become the cow whisperer, and did succeed in getting to touch the nose of one cow in a paddock trying to get to the nice fresh grass in my other hand as I leaned over the gate. But I found it much funnier to bear a few volts off the electric fence and stuff handfulls of grass in between the electric fence and the post then watch cows get their tongues zapped when they nibbled on the snack I had tantalisingly left them then retreated accross the road. It's what you do in the country....you make your own fun!

Stu's 950 made it all the way with Ricky on the back after his bike ran dry, and soon enough they returned with 10L of premium which we shared between us and rode to the Bosco cafe to warm up a bit, before the last 100Km slog home. I was SO glad I had the Airhawk seat for this boring slab run...it even seemed to keep the chill off the family jewels!

As I reached my turnoff and peeled away from the group towards home, I waved goodbye to the lads with a smile on my face then patted my bikes tank and thought..."that'll do pig, that'll do".
Old 10-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #42
ChrisB Kiwi OP
Adventurer

haha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Moo View Post
Nice report! Jealousy from this side of the pond.

5 guys to right a 950!... getting old, Chris,.. you are getting old...
I think at least 2 of the helpers didn't even put down their beers lol.....