Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #61
Boxer-lust OP
Banned

Oddometer: 528
Bluesman I hear you.My favourite sports-tourer of all time was the R1100S.
Unfortunately BMW decided not to come out with a real successor but 2 half azzed tries...
The f-ugly and only half as much fun to ride R1200ST or the less practical and solo only R1200S...
I guess a good bike for the riding you describe would be the R1200R.
But still I miss the fairing and good looks of the R1100S...
To do the fast inline fours justice I agree you either need access to the autobahn or do a lot of trackdays otherwise they are pointless especially here in 75mph and above 100 go to jail "land of the free"...
Our gas is also ridiculously expensive by now;twice the euro prices from 10 years ago despite not having to pay almost 80% gas tax like you guys do...greedy corporate ba$tard$...
Boxer-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #62
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer-lust View Post
Connies or FJR's are realively fast and powerful in a straigt line but in the twisties they suck...
Too heavy,too upright,too far away from the frontwheel to qualify for the name "sport".
I don't know where you get your info, but it certainly isn't from experience. The FJR - while a bit porky compared to the K - actually has a shorter wheelbase than the K1300. And while the K is lighter and has better out of the box suspension, the real world (and probable track) result is a fractional difference in handling. Certainly not enough to justify the difference in cost when it came time for me to make the choice. One buys a K1300 because they want a BMW, not because the FJR "sucks". The fact is in the hands of 99% of the riders who buy them, both bikes are much more capable than the rider.

I've spent lots of time on both, and while the K is more plush with more straight line performance and better handling two up, both bikes are damn near equally capable in a curve with a single rider. And comparatively, both of them are absolute pigs compared to a more sport oriented bike.

I used to call my FJR the most reliable sport tourer BMW never made. 30-some odd thousand miles later I still loved that wonderful, reliable, and economical sporty tourer. To this day I've still never seen another bike that could average 45 - 47 mpg at a solid 90 - 120 mph. The thing was amazing but ultimately my elbows got so bad I could no longer ride anything with any forward lean, so I sold it. If the other 10 BMWs I've owned are any indication, I probably would not have had the same warm & fuzzy memories of ownership, the low cost to go with it, or the excellent resale value that bike had.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #63
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
I would be very interested to know where the original poster got his info as Triumph seems to be making regular updates to the Rocket 111. As a Roadster owner I recomend you move your schedule up just in case though.
Info came from a guy on a forum over here. He went to buy a Sprint and the salesman let it slip. How right it is...
Paulvt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #64
Boxer-lust OP
Banned

Bueller,I hear you.
You might have loved your FJR but I thought it was a totally boring bike that felt very 80's to me.
Too upright,not much power for 1300 inline-4 and no ground clearance and very annoying high frequency vibration causing numbness in my hands...no 6th gear.
The K1300S is a little big for my taste too but still night and day more exciting and sporty and just as practical and comfortable as the big barge brigade like Connie,ST and FJR...I.M.H.O.
It actually bridges the gap between ZX14,Busa and above mentioned tourers.
I just wanted to see if the VFR1200 would do the same,that was the reason for this thread...
If we discuss sport-tourers or better the lack of being able to buy them new now that is another good topic.
Like I said the VFR 800 and R1100S were the best emamples of true sports-tourers.
Unfortunately they never got real as in lighter and more powerful sucessors...
BMW has the more powerful and longer K1300S not loved by boxerfans who are still waiting for a R1200RS and the VFR1200 is obviously not what VFR800 and XX1100 fans had hoped for either...
Old 10-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #65
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,488
I'd like BMW to stick the SThou motor in a Kwak Z1000SX style package. That would be something..
Paulvt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #66
Boxer-lust OP
Banned

Paul I second that !
S1000RR with a little more legroom,adjustable clip-ons,2up-seat,bags,rack and a practical centerstand,maybe even a clean belt drive as additional bonus.
I'd be all over that...
For people who actually ride and not only on the track...
Bring it on...
Old 10-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #67
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
You might have loved your FJR but I thought it was a totally boring bike that felt very 80's to me. Too upright,not much power for 1300 inline-4 and no ground clearance and very annoying high frequency vibration causing numbness in my hands...no 6th gear.
Totally boring???

I've had a Gen I and now have a Gen II FJR and I don't even recognize the bike you're describing. 80's?

Perfect ergos, abundant, smooth, usable power, not a surplus of ground clearance but plenty if you don't mind the feelers grinding now and then, plenty of fuel range, Gen II gearing has it doing ~90mph @ 5K rpm. And it has been dead nuts reliable.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #68
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,635
Quote:
Paul I second that !
S1000RR with a little more legroom,adjustable clip-ons,2up-seat,bags,rack and a practical centerstand,maybe even a clean belt drive as additional bonus.
I'd be all over that...
For people who actually ride and not only on the track...
Bring it on...
Yeah. But people would bitch about it not having enough ground clearance, having bad mileage and not enough range.

All design is a compromise.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #69
Boxer-lust OP
Banned

Real SPORT-tourers...

Why not enough ground clearance ?
I did not talk about lowering the pegs but putting a slightly taller seat on it...
With adjustable clip-ons you still have the racer-crouch for trackdays and a slightly more upright sport-touring position for road work...
The tankrange would be also an easy fix since the S1000RR tank hold 24 liters in WSB racing...
S1000RS !
...in a heartbeat !
Old 10-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #70
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,915
Quote:
From Italy or England there is nothing.
If the Speed Triple, the Streetfighter(Now in 748cc) and the most dynamic, state of the art, gorgeous TUONO V4(With TC, WC, LC and ABS don't do it for you? Please see a shrink for your depression.

TC = Traction control
WC = Wheely control
LC = Launch comtrol
ABS = Alert braking or shit control

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #71
Boxer-lust OP
Banned

capricio,we talk about SPORT-tourers not those naked upright useless playtoys...
I superbike without fairing and enduro handlebar is definately not the answer...
Then I'd rather have a real superbike that doesn't wheely all the time and has decent windprotection.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #72
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,915
Quote:
capricio,we talk about SPORT-tourers not those naked upright useless playtoys...
I superbike without fairing and enduro handlebar is definately not the answer...
Then I'd rather have a real superbike that doesn't wheely all the time and has decent windprotection.
OK then direct from Italy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH1OBlC10ow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4wqP...eature=related

if you time, a full review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0mch...feature=relmfu

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #73
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
I've always thought that an inline-four liter sportbike with taller ergos, more tankage, better weather protection, and a factory luggage option would make a hell of an all-arounder. A inline-four ST4S if you will. A S1000RS would be a cool bike.

But.... I think there are a few problems: 1) It probably would overlap too much with the GT category of bikes. Why would BMW produce a S1000RS that would just take away sales from their K13000S? Why would Kawasaki produce a ZX10R sport-touring bike that would steal sales from the ZX14? 2) These bikes have not been good sellers in the past. ST2 and ST4 sales were never stellar. People seem to want shaft drive in their touring bikes. 3) When you have 160+ RWHP, some of the aggressive ergo and minimal weather protection decisions may be more/less required to keep the damn thing under control. You can't raise the bars on a S1000RR and open up the cockpit very much before you start getting into severe controlability issues. And aero instability becomes a huge problem when you start pushing big windscreens and boxy luggage at 175+ mph. I think this is one of the reason the mfgs tend to neuter their big-hp bikes when they come out with naked versions.

Still, a S1000RS would be a very cool bike. I'd be interested.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:21 AM   #74
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,655
add a bigger windshield?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733124

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I've always thought that an inline-four liter sportbike with taller ergos, more tankage, better weather protection, and a factory luggage option would make a hell of an all-arounder. A inline-four ST4S if you will. A S1000RS would be a cool bike.

But.... I think there are a few problems: 1) It probably would overlap too much with the GT category of bikes. Why would BMW produce a S1000RS that would just take away sales from their K13000S? Why would Kawasaki produce a ZX10R sport-touring bike that would steal sales from the ZX14? 2) These bikes have not been good sellers in the past. ST2 and ST4 sales were never stellar. People seem to want shaft drive in their touring bikes. 3) When you have 160+ RWHP, some of the aggressive ergo and minimal weather protection decisions may be more/less required to keep the damn thing under control. You can't raise the bars on a S1000RR and open up the cockpit very much before you start getting into severe controlability issues. And aero instability becomes a huge problem when you start pushing big windscreens and boxy luggage at 175+ mph. I think this is one of the reason the mfgs tend to neuter their big-hp bikes when they come out with naked versions.

Still, a S1000RS would be a very cool bike. I'd be interested.

- Mark
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:35 AM   #75
David Shapiro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Just saw a manual version at a local dealer. Discounted from 16,000 to 12,000. I thought that it was a very good looking bike in person, but cramped ergos for me. I'm not looking for a second bike, but it was tempting.

David
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote