Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2011, 04:51 AM   #76
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer-lust View Post
capricio,we talk about SPORT-tourers not those naked upright useless playtoys...
I superbike without fairing and enduro handlebar is definately not the answer...
Then I'd rather have a real superbike that doesn't wheely all the time and has decent windprotection.

The nakeds tour just fine. If you aren't a pussy.

I've ridden my Triple from New Mexico to Maine in 5 days. You have obviously never really ridden either.

Tripped1 screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 05:28 AM
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:08 AM   #77
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,159
No test rides at the local dealer, so I haven't ridden one. Addmittedly, probably wouldn't buy it anyway. Fuel tank is too small for my taste, and it's expensive compared to some very worthy competitors from Yamaha, Kawasaki and Triumph.

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #78
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
so many left over 2010's! Check cycle trader. The original price was high, but now I'm seeing left overs for 11k, and I'm sure over the winter that will go even lower as they collect dust. I wonder if this will be a one year bike for the US market?
I think them pushing the DCT so hard was a mistake also. It associated the VFR with having automatic trans, and that is a turn off in the sport side of sport touring. In my opinion they should have never bothered with any DCT!
It also didn't seem to do anything great.
All that price tag and no suspension adjustment. For a larger than average rider, that's an issue for me.
I really wanted to love this bike, I'm one of the few that love the way it looks, and was excited when it came out, but think they missed the mark.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #79
uraberg
whosaberg?

Oddometer: 687
When I read the first post, saying "Nothing out of England" I was immediately thinking "What about the sprint GT?"

A few posts have touched on the Sprint, but really if you're looking for something sporty and practical, it's hard to beat.

One, it's cheap. about $10K gets you a brand new one, decked out with ABS and substantial side cases.
Two, its predecessor, the ST beat out all other bikes tested in a 50K km endurance test by motorrad.
Three, It gets fantastic mileage. rated 55mpg highway.
Four, in stock form, it is the sportiest of the sport tourers in stock form. (if you're looking for sporty...)
Five, (This will be a dividing one I guess), It is chain drive. Anyone who says a chain is high in maintenance has not ridden with a modern chain.
Six, an extremely tractable engine. Gobs of torque available, right where you spend most of your time.

Add to that, free software to work on your own ECU and a dash computer with all sorts of nifty readouts, and you have more than a contender. One poster proclaimed that it will go out of production soon. I doubt it. A lot of tooling had to be made for the GT, and I'm sure it will be around for a few more years.

I'm biased. I have an ST.
uraberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #80
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraberg View Post
When I read the first post, saying "Nothing out of England" I was immediately thinking "What about the sprint GT?"
Don't worry about logic, the original poster has none. Most of his posts are troll-like in nature attempting to get heated responses from ADVers. He really doesn't give a crap about anything other than a BMW that was never made.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #81
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,363
No idea, regarding original question. I've an acquaintance who bought one and loves it. Not my type of bike but it is definitely attractive and you know it is going to be reliable, it's a Honda. If I was interested n this type of bike this would be my main choice along with the Triumph.

Maybe the fact you can get on it and ride and forget about it is the problem, is a bike memorable if that happens? Think of the number of ujm bikes like that and maybe that is the issue.

Is it a great, competent, well built, highly engineered and refined motorcycle. Definitely. Is it memorable or going to be memorable, I'm not so sure.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #82
Tropical Bird
From the front line

Oddometer: 1,004
Review:

http://http://forums.bikeme.tv/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10568&hilit=VFR1200
Old 10-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #83
Infallible
Into the Wild Blue Yonder

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesmt View Post
Small tank, poor mpg, very lazy under 5000 rpm for a 1200, expensive.
Nail meet hammer head. I really really wanted to like it, and its a fantastic piece of engineering for what it is. Finely finished and put together with a nice v4 reminiscent of great Honda's. The biggest problem Honda has is the Kawasaki C14, which for the price is a phenominal platform.
Infallible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #84
dsmit34
n00b

Oddometer: 1
fr1200f

Its a best bike i have ever had, it dont get very good full millage, but it run and it runs good it very comfortible bike
dsmit34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #85
zzrwood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Back to the OP:

"What makes the VFR 1200 so un-popular?"

People believing the rubbish they read on the Internet - from people who haven't ridden the bike (but just know what it's like...)

IMO - Best SPORT-tourer on the planet (as opposed to sport-TOURERs like the FJR, K1400GTR, K1300GT) - and I have ridden one for many thousands of miles (and can compare it to most other SPORT-tourers I've owned - Ducati ST4s, VFR-800, R1200ST as well as Multistrada and even K1200GT in slightly different classes).

Tank is too small, but other than that - given equal riders no 1400GTR or FJR is going to keep up with this in the twisties.

Honda's target was the K1300s and they have delivered perfectly - with better build quality, luggage and character (again IMO - but I have ridden both...)

BTW - most credible reviews seem to agree, e.g. Motorcycle.com in its comparison review of the K1300s and the VFR1200:

""Honda haters have derided the VFR as being too heavy and not attractive enough for serious consideration, but those people likely haven’t ridden it. Running the 1200F through a tank of gas is a sure way to win over the skeptics. Consider us converted."

or Motorcyclist:

"The VFR prefers fast, sweeping corners to cut and thrust work, but it will still drop BMW's new K1300S like a bad habit in the tight stuff."

And the UK's respected BIKE magazine simply puts it as "the definitive sport-tourer"

But what would we know...
zzrwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:32 AM   #86
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,274
If we'd go by magazines review the only mag that I ever trusted to (but always with pinch of salt) was and is Performance Bike. Yet somehow it slipped list of "best magazines". Did they give bad review to VFR? I don't know. I did not read issue with VFR in it.

Nobody says VFR sucks and bad bike. Everybody says it failed to impress to level, build up by Honda marketing department and in comparison to other offering on market. Be real, they positioned whole noise around that bike as breakthrough and it is not. And people saw that.
Certainly not best sport tourer on planet either (that just don't exist) just another good bike. With it's own shortcomings. One of which is price

Yes, I test ridden VFR1200, Concours, K1200, K1300, VFRs and FJR. I believe K is best for mix, FJR for autobahn work and VFR750 for national and back roads, but this is subjective.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:39 AM   #87
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Put it next to a ZX14 with handle bar risers-

ZX14 - 1 gallon bigger tank, way more power, same mileage, better handling, FULLY adjustable suspension, same weight, more leg room... I've never been on a VFR1200, but the ZX seat looks more comfortable.

VFR1200 - ABS.

One other thing that turned me away from the Honda is the paint quality. It's insanely perfect, they actually vibrate the part as they paint it so it smooths it out. Which is great on the show room, but what if you scratch it. Or what happens if it gets knock over, how expensive are those parts gonna be too replace?

To me in came across as Honda put more into marketing and fancy looks than it put into overall performance. The VFR is a fine bike, and had I never owned a ZX14 I'd probably be all over it, but the bar's been set, and the VFR didn't reach it.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #88
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrwood View Post
People believing the rubbish they read on the Internet - from people who haven't ridden the bike (but just know what it's like...)
You make some good points, but last time I checked, your post was on the internet, so I'm a little unclear what is rubbish and what is not.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #89
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
One other thing that turned me away from the Honda is the paint quality. It's insanely perfect, they actually vibrate the part as they paint it so it smooths it out. Which is great on the show room, but what if you scratch it. Or what happens if it gets knock over, how expensive are those parts gonna be too replace?
???

It's a wonderful bike to ride. Brit journo Mark Forsyth reckoned it would make the perfect police pursuit bike... On a short test ride I was very impressed both by the instantaneous power delivery at low revs - almost like a big four-stroke dirt bike - and the roll-on drive in top gear. And by the rock-like stability on fast bends, the great brakes, superb shaft drive and transmission and riding position. It even looks fantastic and wears its luggage well.

But I ran dry of gas just 29 miles after the fuel warning light came on and it's a pain to push. The tank is seriously too small and the bike too thirsty by far - perhaps because, as a previous poster pointed out, it so readily converts throttle movement to motion at low revs. Might have some bearing on its popularity
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #90
zzrwood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
Put it next to a ZX14 with handle bar risers-

ZX14 - 1 gallon bigger tank, way more power, same mileage, better handling, FULLY adjustable suspension, same weight, more leg room... I've never been on a VFR1200, but the ZX seat looks more comfortable.

VFR1200 - ABS.
Agree that the ZX14 is a stellar bike - but there are a couple of other things, besides ABS, that the Honda brings to the party (which make sense for the touring side of things):

Totally unobtrusive shaft drive, neatly integrated factory luggage (operates with ignition key), very high overall build quality and a high-tech V4 (IMO a brilliant feature that hits the sweet point for that almost indefinable character a V-twin has too much of and an inline four doesn't have enough of...)

Anyway, I just like to defend the VFR1200 occasionally as it seems to get a lot of derogatory comments - most of which make no sense to anyone who has actually spent a bit of time using one for what it was intended for.

I do agree that Honda lost the plot with the hype they generated prior to launch, though - and they probably timed the launch badly for a top of the line product (with matching pricing). Of course when they started developing the bike it was well before the GFC...

Cheers from Oz
zzrwood is offline   Reply With Quote