Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #91
LasseNC
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
High strength stainless? Compared to steel that has carbon in it? Why do you think they put carbon in steel?
Carbon in steel makes it brittle, but hard.
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #92
Mastheadmike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
High strength stainless? Compared to steel that has doesn't have chromium or nickel in it? Why do you think they put carbon in steel?
Fixed for you...

If you want to flame your knowledge...you ought to at least try to be more correct. All steel has carbon in it, even stainless . You could easily see an average carbon percentage by weight of .5% in both stainless and a high carbon steel, but the further alloying of the iron with chromium and nickel is what brings down the toughness and strength of the steel; also changing the chemical properties to allow the steel to "gall and strip like a mofo".

BT

Bike is lookin sick! Can't wait to see it completed. Will definitely try to swing by Naples to see it if I make it back to Firenze this spring!!

Everything else is secondary to manual transmissions, automatic watches and beautiful women showing off both
Mastheadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:12 AM   #93
xavier296 OP
Alaska n'Back

Oddometer: 288
Head holes

When I got my frame back from powdercoat, there was nothing in the holes on the steering stock. I am pretty sure it was just two little bumps before I gave it to them. What goes in there, screw or some kind of rubber plug??

#2 on this picture:

You can see the holes here:

Mike,

I look forward to hopefully seeing you next year. We will go pig out on Napoli pizza!
I welcome any and all couch surfers if you are traveling through Augusta. I even have a well stocked garage for emergent repairs.
xavier296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:17 AM   #94
xavier296 OP
Alaska n'Back

Preview of things to come

After getting most of the front end on, I had some fun and installed the tank and cowl. The cowl still has the old short seat on it, but I have a new seatpan ready to go. I still have to figure out my paint colors.

Rolled the rear wheel in there. It isn't installed because I am going to remove the swingarm prior to reinstalling the transmission.

After the fun was complete, I started cleaning. Everything that isn't new needs a huge amount of cleaning, and just rags don't get it. I have been using rubbing alcohol to get the rest of the dirt. The wiring harness was especially bad, but at least it is unmolested.
I welcome any and all couch surfers if you are traveling through Augusta. I even have a well stocked garage for emergent repairs.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #95
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,090
Looking good!

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #96
subagon
Hopelessly lost

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier296 View Post
When I got my frame back from powdercoat, there was nothing in the holes on the steering stock. I am pretty sure it was just two little bumps before I gave it to them. What goes in there, screw or some kind of rubber plug??
I didn't find the part in question listed on Max's or Bob's microfiche for the R100RS. I did find a simular part listed for the R100R Mystik.

# Part Number Description lb Qty Each
02 41355780222 BLIND PLUG 2 $0.50

subagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #97
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastheadmike View Post
Fixed for you...

If you want to flame your knowledge...you ought to at least try to be more correct. All steel has carbon in it, even stainless . You could easily see an average carbon percentage by weight of .5% in both stainless and a high carbon steel, but the further alloying of the iron with chromium and nickel is what brings down the toughness and strength of the steel; also changing the chemical properties to allow the steel to "gall and strip like a mofo".

BT

Bike is lookin sick! Can't wait to see it completed. Will definitely try to swing by Naples to see it if I make it back to Firenze this spring!!
Who's flaming? Knowledge? In this case I would call it experience since I have never really read up on alloys. Wikiwrongia? That isn't knowledge. It is very often just wrong. I don't even know what the stainless alloy numbers mean but I have never heard of carbon mentioned much in their descriptions. Of course, the last two numbers are carbon numbers in carbon steel. There are reasons they call it carbon steel. It doesn't surprise me that stainless has some carbon in it. It shouldn't surprise you that chrome moly has chromium in it. Nevertheless, my experience tells me not to use stainless or titanium for critical fasteners.

Besides, most steel that we work with is 1018. That has .18% carbon as a target. 1020 .20%. 4140 .40% and so on. I don't think I have worked with any steel that has .5% carbon.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #98
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasseNC View Post
Carbon in steel makes it brittle, but hard.
It does that and more. I think most notably it increases tinsile strength. At least in carbon steels.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #99
Velvet Elvis
mild mannered adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Laugh

Quote:

Two little plastic plugs, on bikes without the RS or RT fairing mount. I'd say chewing gum, but your bike is lookin' way too nice for that.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #100
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,043
Quote:
I see you have a thing for boxers ;)
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #101
xavier296 OP
Alaska n'Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
I see you have a thing for boxers ;)
Yeah, and they both demand alot of my attention!!

Sub,

Thanks for the mystic part link. I will get some ordered today.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #102
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Thanks for the answers and links. SNIP...!

About the fork caps, is the 35 ft lbs being exerted on the triple or on the top of the stanchions? Meaning if I have the forks sticking above the triple, and the caps don't touch, is the clamping force from the Allen's enough?

Alright, back to enjoying Paris. Happy Holidays everyone!
After having put my life on the line for a while, I would say yes. About 40 lbs is plenty.

Remember, there another triple clamp at the bottom ant the stem nut on top. (Or at least thats what I keep telling myself! )

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #103
Mastheadmike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
High strength stainless? Compared to steel that has carbon in it? Why do you think they put carbon in steel?
Quote:
Who's flaming? Knowledge? In this case I would call it experience since I have never really read up on alloys. Wikiwrongia? That isn't knowledge. It is very often just wrong. I don't even know what the stainless alloy numbers mean but I have never heard of carbon mentioned much in their descriptions. Of course, the last two numbers are carbon numbers in carbon steel. There are reasons they call it carbon steel. It doesn't surprise me that stainless has some carbon in it. It shouldn't surprise you that chrome moly has chromium in it. Nevertheless, my experience tells me not to use stainless or titanium for critical fasteners.

Besides, most steel that we work with is 1018. That has .18% carbon as a target. 1020 .20%. 4140 .40% and so on. I don't think I have worked with any steel that has .5% carbon.
With regard to my claim of flaming...and your question as to who I was referring to, I thought that it's pretty simple. Your quoted post (uncorrected version) pretty much offered nothing in the way of actual advice or value to the thread and was written with a tone that implied some level of knowledge on the matter-while offering no substantiating statements, while still being fundamentally incorrect. Way to go.

Since you brought it up though, I figured I ought to actually head over the 'wikiwrongia' for this post to check on what I was saying and I must apologize. According to their description, (in the second paragraph) your initial post would fall more into the category of trolling (or any of your other 2899 posts). My bad. I've linked it so you can see for yourself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_(Internet).

I can't say for sure what your experience is...other than posting an (estimated) average of 6 times a day, but just because you haven't done it, heard of it, or played with it...doesn't mean it doesn't exist. FYI, any of the 440 series (A,B , or C) stainless steels fit the criteria I quoted (440C actually has a min of .95% and max of 1.2%, http://standards.sae.org/ams5630j/).

I understand the simplest thing for you to do was write a pointless one liner, but it would have taken only a little bit more time to even type "high strength stainless steel fasteners" into google instead of this forum-and you might have learned something in the process.

Everything else is secondary to manual transmissions, automatic watches and beautiful women showing off both
Mastheadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #104
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastheadmike View Post
With regard to my claim of flaming...and your question as to who I was referring to, I thought that it's pretty simple. Your quoted post (uncorrected version) pretty much offered nothing in the way of actual advice or value to the thread and was written with a tone that implied some level of knowledge on the matter-while offering no substantiating statements, while still being fundamentally incorrect. Way to go.

Since you brought it up though, I figured I ought to actually head over the 'wikiwrongia' for this post to check on what I was saying and I must apologize. According to their description, (in the second paragraph) your initial post would fall more into the category of trolling (or any of your other 2899 posts). My bad. I've linked it so you can see for yourself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_(Internet).

I can't say for sure what your experience is...other than posting an (estimated) average of 6 times a day, but just because you haven't done it, heard of it, or played with it...doesn't mean it doesn't exist. FYI, any of the 440 series (A,B , or C) stainless steels fit the criteria I quoted (440C actually has a min of .95% and max of 1.2%, http://standards.sae.org/ams5630j/).

I understand the simplest thing for you to do was write a pointless one liner, but it would have taken only a little bit more time to even type "high strength stainless steel fasteners" into google instead of this forum-and you might have learned something in the process.
Thanks. I didn't realize stainless has so much carbon in it. It has more carbon than high carbon steels. No wonder it is so prone to breaking in our applications. I don't have much experience with it except for bearings and razorblades. I should have pointed my one liner just at carbon steels. Or instead used the one liner 'too much of a good thing is never good.'

Give me a couple of minutes to edit my posts next time. You are quoting me saying something that I obviously edited very quickly.

supershaft screwed with this post 12-28-2011 at 05:54 PM
Old 12-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #105
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:

I love the attention to detail you are taking with this bike, but... Are you sure about those bars??? I have no business judging your bike, but find a bend you like and go for it. Those look like an apprentice plumbing project.
Proceed.