ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #91
LasseNC
XSessive!
 
LasseNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Denmark, Danimarka, Danmark, Dänemark
Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
High strength stainless? Compared to steel that has carbon in it? Why do you think they put carbon in steel?
Carbon in steel makes it brittle, but hard.
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #92
Mastheadmike
Adventurer
 
Mastheadmike's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Sunny, sandy Manama
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
High strength stainless? Compared to steel that has doesn't have chromium or nickel in it? Why do you think they put carbon in steel?
Fixed for you...

If you want to flame your knowledge...you ought to at least try to be more correct. All steel has carbon in it, even stainless . You could easily see an average carbon percentage by weight of .5% in both stainless and a high carbon steel, but the further alloying of the iron with chromium and nickel is what brings down the toughness and strength of the steel; also changing the chemical properties to allow the steel to "gall and strip like a mofo".

BT

Bike is lookin sick! Can't wait to see it completed. Will definitely try to swing by Naples to see it if I make it back to Firenze this spring!!
__________________
2007 Ducati GT1000
2011 R1200GS 30 Years edition

Everything else is secondary to manual transmissions, automatic watches and beautiful women showing off both
Mastheadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:12 AM   #93
xavier296 OP
Alaska n'Back
 
xavier296's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Augusta, GA
Oddometer: 288
Head holes

When I got my frame back from powdercoat, there was nothing in the holes on the steering stock. I am pretty sure it was just two little bumps before I gave it to them. What goes in there, screw or some kind of rubber plug??

#2 on this picture:



You can see the holes here:



Mike,

I look forward to hopefully seeing you next year. We will go pig out on Napoli pizza!
__________________
2011 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary
79 R100RS
Build Thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732078
I welcome any and all couch surfers if you are traveling through Augusta. I even have a well stocked garage for emergent repairs.
xavier296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:17 AM   #94
xavier296 OP
Alaska n'Back
 
xavier296's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Augusta, GA
Oddometer: 288
Preview of things to come

After getting most of the front end on, I had some fun and installed the tank and cowl. The cowl still has the old short seat on it, but I have a new seatpan ready to go. I still have to figure out my paint colors.



Rolled the rear wheel in there. It isn't installed because I am going to remove the swingarm prior to reinstalling the transmission.



After the fun was complete, I started cleaning. Everything that isn't new needs a huge amount of cleaning, and just rags don't get it. I have been using rubbing alcohol to get the rest of the dirt. The wiring harness was especially bad, but at least it is unmolested.
__________________
2011 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary
79 R100RS
Build Thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732078
I welcome any and all couch surfers if you are traveling through Augusta. I even have a well stocked garage for emergent repairs.
xavier296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #95
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...
 
Rapid Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Strangel Living West of Hell
Oddometer: 9,090
Looking good!
__________________
'09 450 EXC Nani Roma Limited/'08 R1200R-Gone to the Hipsters/'02 Dirty lil KTM400EXC-gone to a good home/'10 WR290X/R buhbye!
'81 R100RS Rattlecandy Red/'06 950 ADV Orangeboom/91 R100GSPD Derelict

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #96
subagon
Hopelessly lost
 
subagon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Antioch, FL
Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier296 View Post
When I got my frame back from powdercoat, there was nothing in the holes on the steering stock. I am pretty sure it was just two little bumps before I gave it to them. What goes in there, screw or some kind of rubber plug??
I didn't find the part in question listed on Max's or Bob's microfiche for the R100RS. I did find a simular part listed for the R100R Mystik.

# Part Number Description lb Qty Each
02 41355780222 BLIND PLUG 2 $0.50

__________________
Mike
Antioch, FL - Hopelessly lost, but making good time
Bike picts
subagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #97
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastheadmike View Post
Fixed for you...

If you want to flame your knowledge...you ought to at least try to be more correct. All steel has carbon in it, even stainless . You could easily see an average carbon percentage by weight of .5% in both stainless and a high carbon steel, but the further alloying of the iron with chromium and nickel is what brings down the toughness and strength of the steel; also changing the chemical properties to allow the steel to "gall and strip like a mofo".

BT

Bike is lookin sick! Can't wait to see it completed. Will definitely try to swing by Naples to see it if I make it back to Firenze this spring!!
Who's flaming? Knowledge? In this case I would call it experience since I have never really read up on alloys. Wikiwrongia? That isn't knowledge. It is very often just wrong. I don't even know what the stainless alloy numbers mean but I have never heard of carbon mentioned much in their descriptions. Of course, the last two numbers are carbon numbers in carbon steel. There are reasons they call it carbon steel. It doesn't surprise me that stainless has some carbon in it. It shouldn't surprise you that chrome moly has chromium in it. Nevertheless, my experience tells me not to use stainless or titanium for critical fasteners.

Besides, most steel that we work with is 1018. That has .18% carbon as a target. 1020 .20%. 4140 .40% and so on. I don't think I have worked with any steel that has .5% carbon.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #98
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasseNC View Post
Carbon in steel makes it brittle, but hard.
It does that and more. I think most notably it increases tinsile strength. At least in carbon steels.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #99
Velvet Elvis
mild mannered adventurer
 
Velvet Elvis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Snohomish
Oddometer: 158
Laugh

Quote:
When I got my frame back from powdercoat, there was nothing in the holes on the steering stock. I am pretty sure it was just two little bumps before I gave it to them. What goes in there, screw or some kind of rubber plug??

Two little plastic plugs, on bikes without the RS or RT fairing mount. I'd say chewing gum, but your bike is lookin' way too nice for that.
__________________
Zoinks
Velvet Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #100
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer
 
blaine.hale's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Oddometer: 3,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier296 View Post
I see you have a thing for boxers ;)
__________________
1974 BMW R90 /6
1968 Bultaco Matador MK3
1973 BMW R75 /5 Toaster LWB
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #101
xavier296 OP
Alaska n'Back
 
xavier296's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Augusta, GA
Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
I see you have a thing for boxers ;)
Yeah, and they both demand alot of my attention!!


Sub,

Thanks for the mystic part link. I will get some ordered today.
__________________
2011 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary
79 R100RS
Build Thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732078
I welcome any and all couch surfers if you are traveling through Augusta. I even have a well stocked garage for emergent repairs.
xavier296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #102
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: NOR CAL
Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier296 View Post
Thanks for the answers and links. SNIP...!

About the fork caps, is the 35 ft lbs being exerted on the triple or on the top of the stanchions? Meaning if I have the forks sticking above the triple, and the caps don't touch, is the clamping force from the Allen's enough?

Alright, back to enjoying Paris. Happy Holidays everyone!
After having put my life on the line for a while, I would say yes. About 40 lbs is plenty.

Remember, there another triple clamp at the bottom ant the stem nut on top. (Or at least thats what I keep telling myself! )
__________________
Hawkdude

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #103
Mastheadmike
Adventurer
 
Mastheadmike's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Sunny, sandy Manama
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
High strength stainless? Compared to steel that has carbon in it? Why do you think they put carbon in steel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Who's flaming? Knowledge? In this case I would call it experience since I have never really read up on alloys. Wikiwrongia? That isn't knowledge. It is very often just wrong. I don't even know what the stainless alloy numbers mean but I have never heard of carbon mentioned much in their descriptions. Of course, the last two numbers are carbon numbers in carbon steel. There are reasons they call it carbon steel. It doesn't surprise me that stainless has some carbon in it. It shouldn't surprise you that chrome moly has chromium in it. Nevertheless, my experience tells me not to use stainless or titanium for critical fasteners.

Besides, most steel that we work with is 1018. That has .18% carbon as a target. 1020 .20%. 4140 .40% and so on. I don't think I have worked with any steel that has .5% carbon.
With regard to my claim of flaming...and your question as to who I was referring to, I thought that it's pretty simple. Your quoted post (uncorrected version) pretty much offered nothing in the way of actual advice or value to the thread and was written with a tone that implied some level of knowledge on the matter-while offering no substantiating statements, while still being fundamentally incorrect. Way to go.

Since you brought it up though, I figured I ought to actually head over the 'wikiwrongia' for this post to check on what I was saying and I must apologize. According to their description, (in the second paragraph) your initial post would fall more into the category of trolling (or any of your other 2899 posts). My bad. I've linked it so you can see for yourself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_(Internet).

I can't say for sure what your experience is...other than posting an (estimated) average of 6 times a day, but just because you haven't done it, heard of it, or played with it...doesn't mean it doesn't exist. FYI, any of the 440 series (A,B , or C) stainless steels fit the criteria I quoted (440C actually has a min of .95% and max of 1.2%, http://standards.sae.org/ams5630j/).

I understand the simplest thing for you to do was write a pointless one liner, but it would have taken only a little bit more time to even type "high strength stainless steel fasteners" into google instead of this forum-and you might have learned something in the process.
__________________
2007 Ducati GT1000
2011 R1200GS 30 Years edition

Everything else is secondary to manual transmissions, automatic watches and beautiful women showing off both
Mastheadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #104
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastheadmike View Post
With regard to my claim of flaming...and your question as to who I was referring to, I thought that it's pretty simple. Your quoted post (uncorrected version) pretty much offered nothing in the way of actual advice or value to the thread and was written with a tone that implied some level of knowledge on the matter-while offering no substantiating statements, while still being fundamentally incorrect. Way to go.

Since you brought it up though, I figured I ought to actually head over the 'wikiwrongia' for this post to check on what I was saying and I must apologize. According to their description, (in the second paragraph) your initial post would fall more into the category of trolling (or any of your other 2899 posts). My bad. I've linked it so you can see for yourself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_(Internet).

I can't say for sure what your experience is...other than posting an (estimated) average of 6 times a day, but just because you haven't done it, heard of it, or played with it...doesn't mean it doesn't exist. FYI, any of the 440 series (A,B , or C) stainless steels fit the criteria I quoted (440C actually has a min of .95% and max of 1.2%, http://standards.sae.org/ams5630j/).

I understand the simplest thing for you to do was write a pointless one liner, but it would have taken only a little bit more time to even type "high strength stainless steel fasteners" into google instead of this forum-and you might have learned something in the process.
Thanks. I didn't realize stainless has so much carbon in it. It has more carbon than high carbon steels. No wonder it is so prone to breaking in our applications. I don't have much experience with it except for bearings and razorblades. I should have pointed my one liner just at carbon steels. Or instead used the one liner 'too much of a good thing is never good.'

Give me a couple of minutes to edit my posts next time. You are quoting me saying something that I obviously edited very quickly.

supershaft screwed with this post 12-28-2011 at 05:54 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #105
mykill
odd
 
mykill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier296 View Post




I love the attention to detail you are taking with this bike, but... Are you sure about those bars??? I have no business judging your bike, but find a bend you like and go for it. Those look like an apprentice plumbing project.
Proceed.
__________________
Never underestimate the laxative properties of motorcycling.
mykill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014